A superior Bright pure Virginia blend mixed from 7 top flue-cured Virginia tobacco grades. Non-aromatic long loose cut.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Strength
Taste

3.2
kingjj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kingjj (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a little tough, as reviewing Virgina Long Cut is to review two different blends (I'll explain). Fortunately, I recommend them both, but in different ways.

When you pick up some Virgina Long Cut, you're actually getting a roll your own blend, and a pipe blend. Unlike other RYO/pipe blends, it's not just a pipe blend in name only in order to get around increased RYO taxes (i.e. everything Daughters and Ryan makes), you can actually smoke Virgina Long Cut in a pipe. But should you?

The short answer is 'yes.' Virgina Long Cut is a very solid blend of just Virginas. nothing more, nothing less. It's very full-bodied with ample sweetness and nuttiness. But it's a very simple smoke. Perhaps a little too simple for most tastes. If you find yourself puffing on Virgina Long Cut and longing for something a little more complex, I won't blame you. As a pipe blend, I'll give two and a half to three stars. Your mileage may vary.

Now, as a RYO blend, Virgina Long Cut is pretty incredible. It's body, sweetness, and nuttiness that may be a little simplistic in a pipe is wonderful in a cigarette. For a RYO blend, it gets a solid four stars.

And if you're someone like me with both a pipe and rolling papers in your pocket, you'll want to get a big bag of Virgina Long Cut. And perhaps most importantly, you'll be able to afford that big bag. While Stokkebye's dedicated RYO blends (London Export, Amsterdam Shag, etc) are -- um -- not cheap... Virgina Long Cut is priced like all their bulk pipe blends, very affordable.

So while I've been a D&R man for years (and don't get me wrong, they still make very good RYO blends), Stokkebye has won me over. I simply haven't found a better RYO blend at it's price point. I expect to be getting very big bags of Virgina Long Cut for many years to come.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

This concludes my survey of free-samples of Stokkebye's [largely] naturbelassene offerings.

Nothing too memorable about this fairly pleasant, lemon-orange Virginia concoction. It rather brings to mind CAPSTAN Light??there must be 27 blends out there nowadays that do that.

Maybe we need a Bland Danish Blend Anti-Proliferation Treaty?

And WHAT, s'il vous plait, is "long loose[-]cut"? I don't want to break the suspense. Not ribbon cut.

Another invention of the wheel.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (15)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Classic Virginia tobacco, although it's less sweet than most Virginias that I've smoked. Flavor is rather mild but there is some complexity to it. In first third of the bowl, straw and grassy flavors predominate. Later, butterscotch undertones are detected, then floral (violettes) and, finally, spicy and citrusy notes. I get Perique-like nose tickling, even though PS describes it as a straight Virginia. Packs and lights easily, and burns well to a light grey ash. Great value for the money (sold in bulk). Also makes a good RYO tobacco.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin bent billiard

Age When Smoked: ~ 6 months

A nice blending tobacco for when you want to add a little Virginia goodness to something.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Rated Percentage = 80%

Comment = Smooth, Mild but this blend is a bite strong in Flavor

"JY" Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
"JY" (8)

Reviewing as a RYO/MYO cigarette tobacco. Sweetness balanced by good natural tobacco flavors, no flavor toppings detected. Not light, nor heavy, exactly what would expect from the description "blend of 7 virginia tobaccos". Slightly tart, as expected, but very manageable. No problem with mouth feel or aftertaste, very well done. Does not burn too hot. For me, one of the best for cigarettes I have found. Great stand alone or as a blender. Good value.

Edited 7/5/12: On third lb of this, consistant neutral/natural goodness. Four Stars

potam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
potam (14)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is not one of the most tasty virginia tobacco,but one of the best for all-day smoking.Gentle flavor,sweet taste and no irritation.This is also good to use as a blender.I like this,so I recommend this.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

P.S. Virginia LC… A uncased, all Virginia mixture, blended by one of the best in the business. Sounded like a winner to me, and as far as I'm concerned it is. I guess originally indented as a blending mixture, I found it lacks very little as a straight up smoke as well. Being mild, bite free and priced right, with all the flavor nuances you would expect from a fine (bright) Virginia blend, how can you go wrong. Well worth a try as a straight smoke..

Want more complexity? Add a pinch of your favorite burley or whatever else you like, or add some zing to a existing blend, have fun, go wild, after all, this stuff is a blending tobacco, and as it turned out a darn good one. In either capacity, I like it, and will continue to keep some handy. Within its genre (s), 4 stars. My personal rating 4/5.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I review this as it would be used as a blender.

Taste and over all appearance of this Virg is similar to many other bulk brands. It doesn't really compare to a Red Virg for sweetness and light, but it holds its flavour cleanly and without much gurgle to the bottom of the bowl. Not complex, but could be made so with help from some darker components in the foreground. I was surprised at the shag cut, expecting more of a ready-rub consistancy. It is a bit like the ol' 12oz Royal Guard brands that PStokkebye used to flog a few years ago. As with most Virg, with or without an accomplice, it will be aged in a jar for a few months to help the sweet tang come out.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Virginia Long Cut:

Good Tobacco but not a remarkably good tobacco. I don't mean this as a weak compliment but it is true. It has a good clean taste but not much depth or "complexity" (as the more able commenteers say) and is not a bad smoke at all. Not a really outstanding smoke either but a good change of pace when the stronger blends get to be a bit much and the smoker need a sort of a recess or a retrenchment for a little while.

On the more positive side the price is very accomodating and the cut and strength are well done as is the tobaccos making up the blend. I have not mixed this with anything as of yet though this remains a possibility. As as a sample from Pipes and Cigars.com it is even more amicable. I may order more as this is similar to Medium Virginia Flake from Sam Gawith which I do use as a mixer.

A very nice Virginia tobacco but as has been said not an outstanding one. If a very mild and undemanding blend is what you're looking for this may be for you.

------The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

This is a great value in bulk, is one of those simple, grassy Virginias, and works well as a blender. No bite, no casings to get in the way, and all around pleasant smoke.

BoJackson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BoJackson (4)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like this pure and simple virginia tobacco. I experienced no bite at all and lights very easy and stay's lit. PS Longcut Virginia burns very clean and no dottle left in my pipe. Smoke it slow and enjoy one of the best pure virginias out there. If you like Virginia tobacco without additives and not paying a premium price then this is just what you are looking for!

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (14)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I have smoked this in Meers, Briars and just finished some in a natural MacArthur corn cob. This is my go to tobacco for Virginias. Taking one's time it can be smoked all day. Very smooth with no bite. A very pleasant all Virginia smoke. Sort of a mild Old Gowrie. Hay-like and grassy. Extremely pleasant smoke. Highly recommended for Virginia smokers and those trying Virginias.

Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The 1 pound bag of this is HUGE, A LOT of tobacco to be stored in mason jar(s), I have ordered 1 pound bag of this just for trial, and because it is really inexpensive, I am glad I did.

The tobacco itself is a bright Virginia, fine to medium cut, not cased, topped, sweetened or flavored in any way, perhaps it has been slightly Cavendish processed in order to make it very very mild.

This is indeed an extremely mild Virginia, for those who prefer a gentle and delicious Va smoke without dominant personality,along with "Pressed Burley" from the same maker, this is an excellent smoke for the incoming hot summer or for blending purpose .

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (55)

I am always searching for a good budget friendly bulk Virginia and lo and behold here we have one. There is no big flavor wallop here, no complexity, just a good reliable tasty straight Virginia with no additives and just good natural tobacco flavor.This will probably not replace your Samuel Gawith FVF, which I have not had but I believe it to be superior to Gawith's Medium Virginia Flake which I have had and was terribly disappointed with.

Most Old Codger Blends are predominately Burleys but if there was an Old Codger Straight Virginia Blend, and there probably has been some, than this would be one. I mean that as a sincere compliment of course! Comforting with absolutely no bite and ridiculously inexpensive! Would be great as a blending component also. Can be had at smokingpipes.com for less than $22/lb. as of the date of this review.

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is some of the best Viginia tobacco I have tried. Honestly, it is clean, pure, unassuming and priced well below the price of most straight Virginia tobacco. I have always been a big fan of Stokkebye tobacco and tried this one for the price more than anything! Smooth, sweet, easy to handle, an all day smoke. I get no bite from it at all. Nicotine level is what you expect from a good Virginia, no problem there. If you are looking to save a few bucks and are worried that you may not get what you are paying for, look no longer!

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Strong

A very nice blend of Virginias at an amazing price. I can imagine that aging would be of great benefict, given the array of flavors provided by the fresh version, which range from well cured cigar-like taste to sharp, almost-pungent leaf.

This is a must-sip tobacco: tongue bite can be really bad if you hurry your pipe. The pouch I bought came with a perfect moist level, so there should be no need to air this before smoking.

Overall, a great option for Virginia lovers and one of the best for Virginia lovers on a budget. A blend with character, consistent (enjoyable in meerschaum as much as in briar) and quite different from everything I've tried so far.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)

Tastes good, smells good, it is satisfying and the pouch smell is heavenly.

A good simple smoke. Considering the price it's not bad but don't expect the complexity or the delicate flavors you get with better crafted blends. Pretty much what I'd smoke if I need a Virginia fix and my tobacconist was out of everything else.

I don't smoke this by itself. I mix it with AAA White Burley from P.S. for my own additve free Half & Half. Very nice concoction. As a stand-alone Virginnia, I would lower the rating by a half point.