No. 7 Shag has been popular with pipe smokers all over the U.K and around the world for decades. A beautiful blend of dark fired and flue cured Virginias. An earthy and leathery tobacco, with plenty of body to match. The blend for No. 7 Shag features as the basis for a number of scented Lakeland blends, in mixture and flake format.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
CutShag
Strength
Taste
2.0

Gawith Hogarth-No.7 Shag Unscented. Upon opening the pouch I instantly realise that the tobacco is far too damp. It requires a good amount of time to air. However, if it's dried some it takes to the flame very well, burns good and leaves behind a pristine white ash. As there isn't any flavours or topping the taste that comes across is a very simple one. I don't get any undertones of leather or anything but what I do get is a very pure and straight Virginia taste. I get no bite from this and despite the dampness of a few bowls it doesn't become too warm. What I notice with No.7 Shag is the first part of the bowl is quite boring and unimpressive but after that it seems (to me) quite a pleasant and steady smoke. Due to the simplicity I think it would be good for someone looking to switch from cigarettes to the pipe. I find the nicotine to be mild to medium, for deep satisfaction I have to inhale quite a waft of smoke! In No.7 isn't a bad smoke but I don't feel it would be fair to earn any more than two stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula 999