A quality blend of fine Burley tobaccos, Cavendish processed for extra mildness. Medium Cavendish cut, non-aromatic.

Notes: aka "Pressed Burley" (intended for blending).

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Cavendish
Strength
Extremely Mild, Mild
Taste
2.4

This is a very good, and the smoking experience is like Uhle's Blend 00 without the topping. It is mild and smooth with subtle sweet/nutty/toasty flavors. It is an easy smoke and came at a great moisture level. It smoked cool for me and was easy to keep lit. I realize the stuff is intended for blending, but it is a great smoke by itself.

If you are a fan of burley and don't mind mild/untopped, get some of this and you won't regret the purchase. As a bonus, it is a bargain.

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I bought an oz. of this on a whim from a flyby-night tobacco joint in Bend, OR. a few years ago in 1999. At the time I smoked a few bowls and it left me wondering why I just didn't wait until they got my favorite Cav in at the Specialty Cigar store. I decided it's only hope was to cellar it. Well I just got around to opening it up today and give it a second try. Well, 3 years later and it tastes the same, and yes, I DO know how to age tobacco. If I'd thrown in some good pungent cutter grade with it, there may have been a chance to salvage this, but as it is, it is the most bland, unimaginative WEED I have wasted my money on. Not worth dirtying my pipe with. There is an old adage that goes like this: you get what you pay for.

This is the same review I gave for Virginia Q, bought at the same store, at the same time. It's base tobacco, and a bad one at that.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I would agree with other reviewers that this blend should only be used for blending. Smoking it straight is a bland prospect. Burley and cavendish are traditionally blending tobaccos, and although some wonderful tobaccos feature a burley base, this blend is almost straight burley. Trying to describe the taste of this tobacco is like trying to describe the taste of pure water - there's just nothing there. It is neither pleasant nor offensive, just flat.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

Burley lovers ought to try this extra-smooth, steamed, Tennessee-type leaf. It is of very good quality even if, to my decadent tongue, it tastes a bit like a Communion wafer.

Might it also blend well with some sharp-toothed Virginia out there begging to be tamed?

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Bought this for blending. Lacks the strength I was seeking. Should have read these reviews first. Oops!

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 8

After Taste = 8

Raw Score = 48

Rated Percentage = 80%

Comment = Smooth, Mild, Mellow, nice burley Flavor without a Bite. This PS-702 Burley blend is just as good if not better than Lane's BLWB

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

If this was the last pipe tobacco on earth, I can't say as I'd mind. I order it pounds at a time, smoke it in a cob while I work outdoors, puff in a favoured briar while reading in my chair, it's just a companionable, very inexpensive good quality burley tobacco.

jmartindale Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jmartindale (22)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that this unassuming bulk blend is actually a superb Burley contender. I find plenty of flavor in the smoke - so it's much more than just a blender, and assuming that you enjoy Burley blends, this could easily be an all day smoke.

I have smoked most of the boutique Burley blends out there (flake, cube cut and otherwise) and this blend more than holds its own on several points: flavor, price, burning characteristics, etc.

Full of typical Burley flavors, this delightful, slightly sweet blend burns great (after drying, like most PS blends) while yielding a nice, pleasant room note.

If you like Burley blends - even for just a change of pace like I do - this is a "must try" due to its more than reasonable bulk price and nice gentle Burley flavors. Like many of the PS blends, this is a genuine bargain.

Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

This is great burley in Cavendish cut, it has absolutely no bite, it is good for straight smoke as well for blending, it is creamy, the taste is extremely subtle and hard to notice, there is no topping or casing, you need to smoke few bowls to be able to detect its hidden flavors. It is NOT tasteless, I find it has a very distinctive toasty/creamy taste which is delicious, but you need some effort to find it.

For blending this is the best burley out there, it is truly unflavored, which is great to balance your heavily cased aromatic blends or for adjusting your edgy sweet Virginia.

The only thing that is missing in this blend is that it is not really "nutty" as I would expect from a good burley tobacco, otherwise it is really enjoyable smoke for the coming hot summer.

PSB are excellent blender, all their tobaccos are good, and I am never disappointed with any of them (never really).

Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I bought this for blending but there's no way anyone can tell what a component does for a blend without getting to know each component. I intended to smoke a couple bowls of this straight but ended up smoking 8. It was probably more of a nostalgia thing than for the flavor, which can only be described as mild. There certainly is flavor but the smoker should go into this with a clean palate or they'll miss the subtleties. It has the usual burley nuttiness/toastiness and it burns very clean, if a little fast. As another poster mentioned, I found that the cut forced me to pack this easily. The aroma reminded me of my father's Carter Hall from years ago but the flavor lacked CH's top note that I find mildly offensive.

As a blender, this does just what it's supposed to do - it tones down a heavy blend and increases its body without adding its own commentary. I mixed this with a heavy latakia blend (50% latakia, 40% virginia, 10% oriental) which yielded a blend that didn't make my mouth feel like Normandy Beach during WWII - a great improvement! I also added this to that same latakia blend, added some blending orientals and a dash of perique and got something that, while not suitable for sale, was interesting enough for me to finish.

This is a nice, unassuming mix of mostly straight burley. It won't knock your socks off but it's very gentlemanly indeed for those times you just want to relax and not notice your tobacco... if you ever have those times.

Max1a Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Max1a (29)

A top notch burley! If thats what you are looking for, here it is! Nothing fancy, nothing added just nice rabbit pelett looking pressed and chopped burley. A grear blender if your not inclined to smoke it alone.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The only sin of this blend is how simple it is. It is a blend of almost unadorned Burley, just barely processed enough to take the rough edges off.

It has a mild, oat-like flavor, with a hint of toasted bread. As the bowl progresses, it takes on a flavor, much like black pepper, in the background.

This stuff showed up quite dry. The cut keeps me from over packing it. The trick to this stuff is to smoke it very slowly. If you power puff it, you will naturally bring out the worst in it.

If you've been smoking heavier blends, you might not taste much at all. But the flavor is there just the same.

If you usually hate Burley, this is no goodwill ambassador. But if you generally like the stuff, this isn't bad.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

AIR,HEAT,CREAMY

This Burley is so very mild- you taste the creamyness of the smoke only. I used it to blend.

BETTER PICK: ORLIK GOLDEN SLICE OR DARK KENTUCKY, OR GL PEASE BARBARY COAST

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I do not smoke this tobacco, but I do use it as a Blending Tobacco with a blend I have put together. It does take the rough edges off the Virginia I us in blending.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Nothing for me here. I love PS's blends but this bit like the devil and I was expecting something along the lines of MB Burley from the name. There is no "pressed" tobacco (MB Burley looks like a partially rubbed out flake) and it was more cavendish cut than anything else. There is a topping here that I can't figure out because it's not as nice as the typical honey thing the Danes normally do. I won a pound of it in a contest and wound up giving/throwing it all away. Nowhere near as good as a Burley can be...