Rose Geranium essential oils are added with inverted sugars to produce a potent and fragrant smoke. It is made from Indian dark air-cured Virginias and other strong variations. It's hot pressed and left to settle before having the top dressing applied.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith Hoggarth
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth
FlavoringFloral Essences
CutPlug
Strength
Strong
Very Strong
Taste
Full
Strong
JimInks (2040)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

The Virginias are boldly vegetatively earthy with plenty of fermented ripe dark fruit and a hint of spice and wood. The nutty, woody, earthy, toasty molasses sweet burleys feature a bit of strength in an important support role. The richly deep rose/geranium toppings have a similarity to that used in Grasmere Flake, but it’s not quite as strong here. The toppings do sublimate the tobaccos to some extent. The nic-hit is a couple steps away from the medium level. No chance of bite. It doesn’t burn hot, but fast puffing with get you a few earthy cigar notes, so I recommend a moderate puffing cadence. The plug is very moist, and needs a light dry time, but a sharp knife will solve any cutting dilemmas. Burns slowly, cool and clean with a very consistent smoothly sweet and floral, earthy flavor. Requires some relights. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl. If you leave it moist, pack loosely. The after taste and the room notes will linger. Not an all day smoke, but a filling one that is repeatable.

da'rum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
da'rum (5)
Strong Very Strong Very Full Strong

The subjectivity of aromatic reviews eh? A wonderful plug with a great casing. The tobacco quality is first class and is readily noticeable despite the heavy casing. This is a turkish delight bomb wrapped around great tobacco. Delicious!. There are some negatives 1; it comes wet, a good to long drying time needed. 2; it's relatively expensive

A small note on prep. I tried this in many ways. 1mm thick flakes cube cut, rubbed out, fold and stuffed but what works best is wafer thin slices as thin as you can dried a little and lightly rubbed out. A careful light pack and it'll smoke it's best

Pipe Used: Bulldog meer, Falcon, Design Berlin

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Medium to Strong Very Strong Overwhelming Strong

Gawith Hoggarth Dark Plug Rose Geranium. This comes as a very dense plug, when I set to preparing mine I had to put a fresh blade into my knife as it wasn't cutting it and that blade was quite new! When I have mine prepared I sample the aroma, my God it smells strong. The Rose Geranium topping comes across with so much fervour that it's like cheap perfume! If I take a puff on the pipe whilst unlit it gives me an almost warning of how floral this is going to taste, and once lit I realize that the 'dry draw' wasn't kidding! Try to picture, if you will, smoking a bottle of Chanel No 5!! The floral topping is that strong it totally hides what types of leaf I'm smoking, it could be a bowl of Earl Grey tea soaked in perfume for all I know! I suppose I should mention a couple of positives now to try to give the blend some redemption! The burn is a good one that gives a fairly cool smoke. Next we'll talk about tongue bite, a very relaxed/non-biting smoke. Nicotine now, medium to strong which is a strength that appeases my nic' wants. Sadly there is another negative that comes to fruition more when the pipes done, my mouth has a taste of roses in it that is simply disgusting! I will finish on a bold statement... this is by far the WORST tobacco I have ever had the misfortune of ghosting my pipe with. I'd rather smoke Clan. 1 star solely as I can't give it none.

Pipe Used: Peterson Sherlock Holmes

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

Similar Blends: Chanel No 5 :).

Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Like other GH (and most other) plugs, you either need a sharp knife and good cutting surface or a pair of good kitchen shears to prepare this. The rose/geranium is similar to that used in Grasmere Flake, and is at about the same level; it does sometimes get hidden by the dark plug flavors. Considering the strength of the plug and the level of florals, this is not for the novice smoker, but Lakeland fans, especially Grasmere fans, should give it a try if you can find it.

Pipe Used: briars and meers