Sutliff's match of the House of Windsor Field & Stream. This semi-aromatic blend is made with smooth, white burley, sweet, bright Virginia and a touch of black cavendish with a mellow top note that is truly one of a kind.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
Taste

2.9
JimInks (2040)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Both the House of Windsor and Philip Morris productions were fairly soapy and even more perfumey with an anise/licorice topping. While all of that lingered to the end, it became a little less intense by the half way point, and a nutty burley became more prominent, though still a bit sublimated. I barely noticed the black and gold cavendish outside of a hint of vanilla and honey. The citrus Virginia notes were small, and the grass a little more obvious. The Match has a hint of the soap, and much less perfume, and the licorice is slightly less pronounced. It has a little more maple than the original had. In the Match, the burley has a similar nuttiness, and I notice the aspects of the cavendishes and Virginia a little more. The Match burns cool at a moderate pace with a consistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs an average number of relights. Won't bite. Has a decent after taste. Can be an all day smoke. The HoW and Philip Morris versions burned faster, rougher, and hotter, though they fell just short of the bite stage. I rated the original at two stars.

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (54)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me say that I never smoked the original. I preferred this in a cob to a briar. In a varnished cob It burned hot, but I am a heavy puffer. I didn't experience any soap or perfume taste. I did taste anise, which got stronger the deeper I got into the bowl. No sweetness. I would call this an American blend, not an Aromatic. Good moisture level, took a light easily and required minimal relighting. Burned right to the bottom of the bowl. A good blend to smoke while your hands are occupied. No goop, gurgle, or bite. 2 stars, I wouldn't buy it again.

Pipe Used: Briar, varnished MM cob w filter

Age When Smoked: Four weeks

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Carter Hall.

Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Sutliff - Match Field & Stream.

The mixture has been cut very coarsely, there are a few cubes but also a huge amount of chunky pieces. Only a small amount of it's black Cavendish, the majority's medium brown. The pouch smells lightly flavoured and the moisture of it's good.

It takes to the flame well, and gives a good burn which is fairly slow. I get no tongue bite and the smoke has a medium temperature. The flavour's strange, I like the tobaccos but find the topping lets it down. The stronger of the leaves is the Burley, the others are much lighter. The Virginia/Cavendish give a sweet honey like nuance, and the black Cavendish may as well be absent. I'm not sure exactly what constitutes the topping, it may be liquorice, or aniseed, but it has a chemical flavour which seems quite caustic.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: unpleasant.

Not a fan, it just scrapes by with two stars:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Atinok Meerschaum

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I'll be honest, I purchased this tobacco because I've always loved the name: "Field & Stream." It is just a great name for a pipe blend. I never smoked the original, but did sample the re-issue version that came out in the cardboard cans around 10 or 15 years ago. I recall that version having a distinct licorice component and not being particularly good. Now on to this version.

I ordered an ounce of this and the aroma of the tobacco in the bag is very fine. There is no distinct "flavor" to me, but it is sweet and aromatic. I see various shades of leaves, indicating the white burley with touches of virginia and cavendish as advertised. It has the right moisture content for this type of blend in my opinion and packs and lights well.

The smoke is mild and pleasant. It never bites even when pushed and smokes cool. The aroma is pleasing and sweet. At times, the flavor is too subdued...almost non-existent. When it does appear, I taste nutty burleys with a honey-like sweetness. There is no distinctive top note in the flavor of this smoke. I find that this tobacco gets better as I smoke two or three bowls while mowing the lawn or pruning my roses bushes. It is at its best with absent-minded puffing during yard work. The longer I smoke it, the flavor becomes richer. I notice a slight, delicious soapiness in the second and third bowls. I feel like if I could walk around with a pipe hanging out of the side of my mouth all day, puffing away happily on a blend of my choosing, this could be that blend.

In the end, I feel that this is a good tobacco although I have no way to compare it to the original. It is far better than the majority of other aromatic or American blends I have tried. At moments it is wonderful and at others it leaves me flat. If you enjoy American-style blends with plenty of burley, I would say give this a try.

Pipe Used: Unfinished Briar

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (23)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Well as an intro to this review i have been trying as many of the "classic" reproduced - dicontinued- brands-your grandfather-smoked - tobaccos as i can. It has been fun and considering these bulk brands are less than $3 an ounce each it is an affordable hobby. Most are ok, that was fun now what? This however was different, this is an actually delicious blend that i am compelled to praise. I wish i could describe what and how it tastes but I don't do well describing. Trust me its better than you think. The smoke is smooth, mostly burley but slightly confusing. I never smoked the original but I really like this.

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Age When Smoked: new, just got

Purchased From: wvsmokeshop.com

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (97)

Mostly burley with a smack of Virginia. The Cavendish adds a bit if sweet and just a hint if vanilla. The topping seems like a spice rum with a touch of anise. The cube cut packs well into my coband the blend burns at a moderate rate with very few relights. I get no bite from this match but there is a spicy note as I proceed through each bowl. I enjoy this blend and have been smoking it for the past few days as I do some Farm and greenhouse chores. Have had this jarred for quite a while and am trying to reduce my cellar of some I have had lingering. This one has really grown on me. A truly American blend in my book. Taste is satisfactory and it smells nice as well.

Pipe Used: Cobs

Age When Smoked: Jarred for three years

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Sutliff Great Outdoors.

If I ever had Field & Stream back in the distant past, I don't remember it. This has a lot of nutty burleys (I almost thought for a moment there might be a trace of Kentucky) and some cavendish -- I didn't much if any VA. The casing is certainly present, but I found it rather nondescript: a touch of licorice and vanilla, and something else (not quite a dark fruit flavor, but almost). I didn't find it perfumy or soapy, but perhaps I smoke too many GH Lakelands to notice it here. Fairly well-balanced, but a little bitey after the half-way mark for me; I found it a true 2.5 on the scale. Because of the balance, I tipped it up but I wouldn't rebuy it.

Pipe Used: various briars and a cob

Age When Smoked: 2 months after purchase