Sutliff's match of John Middleton's Walnut blend. Walnut was a classic American-style English blend made of burley, Virginia, Kentucky, Maryland, Turkish and latakia. It dated back to the 1800s but recently vanished. The legacy of this all-day type of blend lives on with this Match.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Kentucky, Latakia, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

3.8

As many smokers know, Walnut is comprised of many different varieties of tobaccos. So is the Match. In it, I get a light taste of nutty, woody Kentucky, grassy, citrusy Virginia (it forms the base of the blend), some nuttiness and molasses from the burley in a support role, a touch of honey from the cavendish, a slight woody note from the Oriental/Turkish. The Cyprian latakia is a minor addition, but gives a very mild smokey, woody push to the other components. I know Maryland is in here, but I can’t taste it. The topping is mildly sweet. Overall, it has nice subtlety of flavors that meld well together for a mild to medium smoke. Burns at a reasonable pace, cool, clean and dry to the finish with a consistent flavor. Both have a mild nic-hit, and won't bite. Both leave little moisture in the bowl, and need an average number of relights. This has a little better after taste as there's nothing to distract what you taste. Both are all day smokes.

What’s the differences between the Match and the original? The original sometimes has a little chemical taste from the topping that the Match does not, and gets a little bitter near the end. The original is a shade sweeter, and a tiny bit nuttier, while the Match has just a smidgen more latakia. Otherwise, I can’t tell the difference.

I rated it at four stars even though I rated the original at three. As a Match, it's four stars for how close it is to the original.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is just superb. Nutty, spicy, sweet, earthy, smoky, and mildly fruity and sour. A little bit of everything making it very complex. I think my favorite part of this is the way the black pepper-like spiciness contrasts with the sweetness. I never tire of that. Really wish I could have tried the original. That must have been something.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. The spice gives it a little edge, otherwise very smooth. Burns great.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: http://wvsmokeshop.com/

Gothicmace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gothicmace (16)

While I never had the pleasure of smoking the original Walnut... I can say I have enjoyed Walnut Match very much. The pouch note is natural and yes you can sense the walnut in the background. Packs well, lights well and offers a very good natural tobacco flavor again with a slight nutty flavor in the background. I enjoy this as my first pipe of the day and also is a good offering as the sun is going down. No bite... burns well to a nice ash in the bottom of the bowl. This one is in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Omega & MM Legend

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Grayskwerl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grayskwerl (8)

Hats off to Carl McAllister for this fine blend. With all the different tobaccos in this, I have to imagine it wasn't easy to make. I can't understand why the original manufacturer stopped making this! I never had the original, so I can only talk about the match. It is medium-mild, in a good way. Understated, nuanced, and delicious. None of the many players in this blend really dominate, but all are present. Latakia is definitely a condiment here (good thing for this blend). For me, seems like a mild 'Scottish' at the top, then more 'burley-american' in the middle, then more oriental-kentucky-spice at the end (YMMV). Puffing cadence can be a taste-factor as well. Good through the whole bowl. Lights easy, just a few re-lights. I like the aroma. The balance is superb. Well done Carl, thank you! I can't compare to H&H Chestnut as I haven't had that yet (Hard to commit to a whole tub of something you may or may not like). I'll be ordering more of this. Can certainly be 'an all' day smoke.

Pipe Used: cob, briar

Purchased From: p&c

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (104)

Had this one adding for a good while, 5 years plus. Popped it open the other day to work on my last ounce or so, and man was I glad. Mixture of many components that work well together. Nutty, sweet, Smokey and a bit sour all rolled up in one. The main players for me are the burley and the Kentucky with the Virginia coming in third. The Latakia, and other orientals are only supporting cast members. The use of the Maryland simply tones down the whole mix and allows them to line up. Overall a fine tobacco. Will have more to age in a mason jar for sure.

Age When Smoked: Aged 5+ years

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (65)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

John Middleton’s Walnut was once one of my regular tobaccos. I usually enjoyed it in the morning, as it was tasty and easy to smoke. I was disappointed when it was discontinued. So how does the Sutliff version compare? Well, it’s similar and it's better.

The original was more like a drug store blend, with the vanilla-flavored cavendish in the foreground most of the time and all of the other leafs playing, at most. a supporting role. One would only occasionally taste the Virginias and burleys, and only very occasionally get a hint of Latakia. Sutliff Match Walnut, on the other hand, does a much better job of showcasing the other tobaccos. The cavendish is there alright, but the Virginias are much more noticeable, as are the burley and dark-fired Kentucky tobaccos. SMW is also sweeter, which I attribute to the use of higher quality cavendish and Virginia tobaccos. Another indication of the greater emphasis on the Virginias in SMW is a bit of citrus flavor and grassiness that I don’t recall ever tasting in John Middletons’s Walnut. On the negative side, the Latakia is a little less noticeable in SMW than it was in the John Middleton version -- I couldn't taste it at all.

I enjoyed the original Walnut mostly because it tasted good, was easy to smoke and was inexpensive. I like Sutliff Match Walnut better because it tastes even better, is just as easy to smoke and is equally economical. Kudos to Sutliff for bringing back a great old-time tobacco and doing it even better. Whether you’ve ever smoked John MIddleton’s Walnut or not, if you're in the market for a mild, sweet American take on an English style blend, I suggest you try Sutliff Match Walnut.

Pipe Used: Luciano briar