One of our most successful blends. Developed from the fields of the flue-cured tobaccos of Zimbabwe, Malawi. Blended with sweet processed Black Cavendish and mild Burley tobaccos. Medium to coarse loose cut.

Notes: Flavor/Aroma: Fanciful fruit and vanilla flavoring awakens this mild blend’s outstanding taste and evocative aroma.

BrandPeter Stokkebye

Burn = 8

After Taste = 7

Raw Score = 46

Rated Percentage = 77%

Comment = Smooth, Mild, has a Fruity cherry casing After Taste from Start to Finish

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This mixture tastes a bit like Sillems Black Label. The Zimbabwe leaf gives it a slightly exotic taste and the trace of vanilla sweetens it slightly. I'm undecided if I will put it into my regular rotation but I sure don't regret buying the pouch of it.

slashes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slashes (3)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very nice aromatic to smoke when you want something light, has a light nutty taste with vanilla. Burns cool and doesnt bite.

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (21)

An inexpensive blend that tastes very similar to 1-Q with pleasant vanilla and caramel flavor. Needs additional drying as my dottle is very damp. Also the last third of the pipe loses its flavor and takes on a dull ashy taste.

Bluefox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluefox (11)

Not really sure what to think of this blend. The aroma and taste was good and it burns very dry for an aromatic which is great. The problem I have with it is my tongue is not happy. I cant quite make out if it is spicy or a bite. Leaning more towards spicy which doesnt belong in an aromatic because I have yet to be bitten by a stokkebye blend. I recommend B&B instead.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

Theres one thing that bugs me about this site .. Reviewers .. lol . If you " rarely smoke Aros because they do nothing for you " .... why waste space that people will have to read through to get to a real review . Anyway , this is a good aro in the PS fashion . Like many of the cased Aros , if you like the flavor , you'll at least like the blend , given it lights and smokes well enough ... which this blend does . I have this blend jarred and smoke it now and again . The room note is very nice and the flavor , I cant quite make it out [ I rarely can unless it's labeled :) ] but it's nice . Smokes cool and the wife smokes it as well .

Jaysown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaysown (4)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This one is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I know I shouldn't like it, but on the right occasion it's a real joy.

It's a mild aromatic blend, cased with just the right amount of vanilla. The vanilla doesn't overpower the tobacco but adds a bit of sweetness and depth. Overall, the taste is very light and smooth and I find it goes perfectly with a cup of good coffee in the afternoon.

It's certainly not a tobacco I could smoke all the time because it's just too sweet but once in a while it's very enjoyable. I'd only recommend it as an occasional smoke, and the room note is one of the most pleasant I know of so perhaps a good after dinner pipe when in company.

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)

If you are looking for an aromatic that is full of fruit and vanilla flavor, look no further. The sweetness only becomes more pronounced the further down the bowl you smoke it. It smokes cool, won't bite your tongue, and leaves no scraps at the bottom of a bowl, just a nice gray ash. It has a delicious aroma and I've never once had any non-smoker make a negative comment about the smell. Quite the contrary! The smell of this pipe tobacco reminds me of the smell of this small tobacco shop I used to pass by as a child. It was as if honeysuckle and some berries from elfland had been tossed into a fire and the aromas were wafting through the air. The pleasure that smell gave to my senses is one of the main reasons I am a pipe smoker. And you cannot beat the price! Thank you, Stokkebyes!!

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Optimum, is what it is. No pretense just a nice lite aromatic tobacco that won't get you kicked out of the house. As well as give your palate a chance to cleanse itself while an ODA stuffed with stashed 965 is laying in waiting! Peter was a great guy and made some great tobacco's,and was one of the nicest men in the industry. We all need a break sometimes and this fits the bill! Happy puffing!!!!!

The Pipesmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Pipesmith (6)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I think this is a fine, light aromatic, and its my favorite aromatic from the Stokkebye line. I see the aromatics get dinged a lot in the reviews which is unfortunate, and its typically the blends with latakia out the wazoo that get the highest number of reviews and high marks. My favorite tobaccos are not aromatics, but when I want one this is it. When I'm working in the yard, I can get a large pipe of this going once and then forget about it as I puts around. Its pretty mild, a bit too mild I suppose, and doesn't bite when I'm concentrating on other things. It burns with no tending or tamping. The flavorings are not so over the top that its a sticky mess to work with. It will burn down about two-thirds of the way before going out at which time it is usually best to dump the remains. And yes, it is a bit gunky at this point, but not nearly so bad as many other aromatics. Its a good crowd pleaser when I'm in the mood to mingle and actually care what other poeple think of my pipe smoke. It has gotten more compliments from strangers than any other tobacco I've ever smoked. Period.

Spizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spizzo (4)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Average, cheap American aromatic type tobacco. Bought it out of curiosity and although I do not usually like aromatics due to tongue bite, this tobacco did not bite. I will not be buying this again but, it is not terrible.

Packs and lights well, smokes easily and not as hot as expected.

Taste is almost all flavoring. Typical, generally sweet taste. Gets a bit acrid the further down the bowl you get.

Faustgleich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Faustgleich (3)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I purchased an ounce or two of this from the tobacconist after getting a whiff of the rum and/or vanilla others here have noted. Stokkebye's English Luxury is a standard for me, and I ventured to this light aromatic to keep up patronage.

Smoking with Johann, a cigar smoker who had recently picked up the pipe, I quickly realized the odor of the casing did not translate to taste. As mild an English as Luxury is, its taste is quite a bit more substantial, and, it being my daily, I was not prepared to step down in intensity of flavor.

Comparing Burley to Burley, were one to soak Prince Albert in his can with rum, afterward letting it dry, I can imagine it approximating Optimum. As much as I dislike the former, I think I would choose that route before again attempting Optimum. One might imagine Jonathan's response, he accustomed to the cigar; to him, it was like smoking nothing. We offered it to his girlfriend for potpourri, but, I hear, she discarded it.

pandabearzx2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pandabearzx2 (18)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Like everyone said, it can burn a little too hot. So watch out for that. I must disagree about the taste though. The first 1/2 of the bowl is good and sweet. The last half is very ashy and not doesn't have much taste. Its a decent aromatic, but only smoke half a bowl.

renaissance man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renaissance man (14)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is a great experience as long as you are not the one smoking it. Great in the jar and in the air. But in the mouth its a little overwhelming. I think it actually gives me a headache.

A milder version of this would do well if they cut the flavoring by 2/3rds or something. Something closer to Virginia Q. Bad part is I really wanted and tried to like this stuff but I don't think my tongue would survive. Yeeeooowww!

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Very Mild Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Whoa, a blend of many synthetic flavors that smells great. It taste like marshmellows and I actually felt a little ill- like when you eat too many oreo cookies..... good for young novice.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (44)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I bought an ounce of this blend and it smelled nice. The taste is there if you smoke more of it, but I dont want a hot smoke. Though I did get a wet smoke. The room aroma is nice and my wife liked the smell.I got no tongue bite and it lit well, but it lacks the flavor I look for. I probably wont buy this one again.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I thought I might be in the mood for an aromatic - not a mood that strikes very often. Optimum smelled OK in the jar, but I wish I had stopped right there.

A typical bulk aromatic, it was over-cased and no matter how much I tried, it smoked wet. I really wanted to like it, as I would love to have something to smoke in less-than-smoker-friendly environments.

If you can get past the flat Black Cavendish flavor and the topping, you will have something that won't run innocent bystanders off.

Keep a very good supply of pipe cleaners on hand.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (73)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I was in the mood to like this but not to be. when I first heared about this blend it was supposed to be flavored with rum and vanilla. But when I checked the website it now says fruit and vanilla. That may be my problem. I noticed blends that have noted to be flavored with a similiar scheme don't appeal to me. The taste is odd and a little sickningly confectionary. Mostly a black cave base that tastes flat with a smidgen of lighter tobaccos.It may also be the vanilla flavoring which I don't like, perhaps a vanilla extract or vanillian that tastes a little unpleasantly "synthetic." Some real vanilla flavorings don't have such a character and in combo with that flat and lifeless black cav. tastes like a marshmellow, blahhhhhh.

Not recommended

Argo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Argo (17)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

As others describe, unlit, it does smell promising, but alas, a promise it does not keep. Very mild, decent for beginners. Nothing more can be said about this tobacco that has not been already mentioned. I am nearing the end of my bowl now, and once my 2 ounces if spent, it will unlikely be another purchase of mine.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

Upon opening the bag, one can immediately smell the Jamaican rum casing. It's a mildly sweet,smooth and flavorful smoke but has the ability to bite if smoked too fast.

As with most cased blends, you may do well to smoke it in a Sav with a balsa filter.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

"One of our most successfull blends". Huh? I guess that must be the same people that buy Corona beer and wash it down with Glenfiddich. (Present company excluded, of course). Optimum is "tobacco lite", designed for people that want to have something good-smelling in their pipe without having the tobacco experience.

Optimum was recommended to me by a local tobacconist who said it was half-way between his sticky home-blend black vanilla cavendish and McBaren Vanilla Cream. Now, I am not a real fan of vanilla aromatics (or ice cream) but I do like McB's VC. And the home-blend black vanilla cav. I can appreciate on its own merits as an intense, if all too gooey and hard-to-keep-lit, experience. But his recommendation was like saying that "3" comes between "a" and "d". Whatever little flavor Optimum has, "it sure don't seem like vaniller to me".

Optimum seems to be composed mainly of black cavendish, which probably explains the lack of tobacco taste. This stuff just tastes flat, like the jar had been sitting open for several years. Peter Stokkebye, the crafter of many fine aromatics, really fell short here.

My wife does not even like the way it smells. What is the point? Life is to short for PS Optimum.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)

I'll steal from the above.

Relatively clean burning, it is not harsh, and overall not bad. I am unable to distinguish the exact flavor of the casing, but it is sweet and still allows the taste of the tobacco to peak through at times. The strength of this tobacco is very mild, yet it's flavor is straightforward with hints of sweetness throughout the entire bowl. Good beginner smoke. I did not find it bland or flat for an aromatic.

I had no buzz.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is a medium to loose coarse cut tobacco, IMO this way to mild for my tastes. The bottom line as person who loves an aromatic tobacco this one just does not make the grade with me. I found it to be very mild almost to the point of being flat.

I have tried this early in the morning, late in the evening, after dinner, in a Savinelli Estella, a Sasieni 5 Dot, a Nording Quail. The outcome was the same, the fulfillmennt was never there.

tomgrega Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tomgrega (6)

This was an impulse buy for me. I rarely smoke aromatics not so much out of snobbishness as opposed to the fact that even when I started, they rarely do anything for me. The tin it?s packaged in was a bonus, modeled to look like a tea tin. As with most aromatics I have smoked, it smells great once you break open the tin. What is different is that although VERY mild, it does taste like it smells when smoking. Relatively clean burning, it is not harsh, and overall not bad. I really cannot give a more fair review other than that, as these types of tobaccos are generally not my things. If you are a fan of aromatics, I suspect you would find this a decent blend, but certainly nothing to rock your world.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I found no "BUZZ" with this in anyway. Very little taste & not much else either.Infact I found it to be "Very Bland". Maybe if you have very sensitive taste buds & hate any tobacco with some strength,you might love this! Would be good for the newcomer to pipe smoking.It doe's smoke clean. In it's class-I'll give it 2 Out of 4 Star's.

oldsmkr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldsmkr (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As I write this, I'm enjoying my first bowl of Optimum for the day. It won't be my last. Currently my favorite tobacco, I have a pound and a half of this delightful blend in my humidor.

The pouch aroma is wonderful, mouth-watering and delicious. If I had no match, I might be tempted to just dig in with a fork. Packing a bowl in my favorite bulldog, I set fire to the blend and my wife immediately exclaims, "Oooh, what is that? It smells GREAT!" And she says it every time I light a bowl! This is a real crowd pleaser.

I am unable to distinguish the exact flavor of the casing, but it is sweet and still allows the taste of the tobacco to peak through at times. My only complaint through the bowl is that it seems to require slightly more relights than usual. But this doesn't really bother me and is probably an exercise in picking nits.

I recommend this blend highly for both the beginning pipe smoker, and for those of us that have smoked a pipe more winters than we care to admit. Even the dyed-in-the-wool, English-only, conformist pipe snob would enjoy sneaking a bowl of this when no one was around. Go ahead, I won't tell!

flakeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakeman (13)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

A good tobacco needs a good taste. Having stated that fairly obvious fact, let me move on and say that Optimum is almost totally without taste of any kind. In fact one is tempted to suppose that the manufacturer has left the tobacco out altogether and substituted some subtle cellulose material masquerading as tobacco. No taste, no nicotine, a little sweet flavouring and absolutely no satisfaction whatsoever. This just about sums this tobacco up.The health authorities would love this one, as it's just about the equivalent of sucking fresh air through your pipe. YEUK!!!

Briar Snob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Snob (10)

This bulk tobacco offers the smoker an unchallenging, yet flavorful smoke. The strength of this tobacco is very mild, yet it's flavor is straightforward with hints of sweetness throughout the entire bowl. I've been told that this blend is cased in rum and vanilla, yet if true, the casing is mild and one has to work to decipher these tastes. Overall, I enjoy this tobacco, especially during my morning commute to the office as the sweetness of the tobacco creates the perfect entre into the rest of the workday.