From Pipes& Cigars website: This is a match to Sail "Regular" (yellow label). Sail Regular is a well balanced blend. Burley and Virginia tobaccos in perfect harmony are the basis, enriched by a selection of Oriental and Brazilian tobaccos.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
JimInks (2057)

The burleys, cavendish, and Virginias in the original well melded into a blend that’s a little nutty, slightly grassy and citrusy, with honey and bread notes from the tobaccos. The Oriental/Turkish is lightly woodsy with a light spice almost in a support role. The Match is very similar in all respects, though it has a milder spice hit. There’s a minor difference in the sweet topping, but I can’t determine why, except to say that the topping is a mite more noticeable in the Match. Overall, they are pretty similar, even if the Match is just a little lighter in flavor and nicotine, which is rather mild. Neither will bite. The cut of the tobacco is the same, though the Match burns cooler and slightly smoother at the same moderate pace, and both have a consistent flavor. Both leaves little moisture in the bowl, and need few relights. Both have a pleasant after taste, and can be all day smokes. I rated the original at two and a half stars.

I have bought and smoked almost a pound of this so far. I was a big fan of Sail Yellow when you could get it at the grocery store. I tried this and it was OK as a match and a decent smoke. I have since smoked the original again, so I have a good basis for comparison and am not just relying on my memory.

The original is a mostly rubbed out flake with an appearance like a lighter colored Amphora. The Sail Yellow Match I got from P&C was a long narrow ribbon. The taste was similar but slightly milder and not so full. I get sweet, grassy and a little spice from the orientals. Like the original, I can't really identify the specific sweet, but the match may have a very slight fruit note. It is a slightly different flavor than the original, and the strength/taste overall are a little milder in the match.

As a match, this is a 2.5. As a smoke, it is a 3. I prefer the original despite the fact the four-star system has them rated the same.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Is it wrong to like a match better than that which it intends to match? That is what I felt about this one. I have an old 7 ounce can of Sail Yellow that I received as a gift from a customer who owned a tobacco store. I pick at it from time to time. I like it alright, but it is clear that it will never be a favorite. And I assume when it is done, I will not be repurchasing more.

A friend and fellow reviewer here sent me a newer batch of the sail yellow and this match for comparison purposes. As for the newer stuff, I have already reviewed my impressions of this and am impressed at the quality control as there was very little to no difference between the two. This, however, was a little different, and IMO, it is better.

Sail yellow is a Virginia heavy blend that can bite if pushed. I have done this a few times when my concentration was elsewhere. Otherwise it has a nice sweet sour type taste to it with a bit of lightness in the body. I find the match to be better suited to my tastes as I find it to be a little sweeter and to have a little bit more body. This is probably due to a higher percentage of burley in the mix. I really don't know what causes that, but another plus is the match, IMO, burns much cooler and I don't think you could make this one bite.

While I will not buy the original again, I may buy this match as I really did enjoy it.