Celebrated for it's pipe smoking qualities since 1848.

Notes: Originally produced by J.G. Dill Co. of Richmond, VA, this blend was quite popular from the turn of the 20th to about the 1950s. Not much information about the actual blend is known, but it did come in a wide variety of packaging and cuts. It has been called either a straight Virginia blend or consisting of "pure cigar leaf". Having been bought out by the American Tobacco Company, production stopped in the 50s when pipe smoking saw a decline and the product no longer sold as well as it once had. The brand does live on in it's line of pipe cleaners, still widely available almost anywhere pipe tobacco products are sold. Image courtesy of marybethhale on Etsy.

BrandAmerican Tobacco Co
Blended ByJ.G. Dill Co.
Manufactured ByAmerican Tobacco Co.
Blend TypeVirginia Based
2.7
PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I get the distinct impression that I may be the only person to have tried this blend in a long time. Mine came in a 1 5/8oz package, dated 1948. I only paid $5 for it, so I didn't have much of an issue with opening it. It was dry as a bone but re-hydrated well in less than three hours. The smell of the package was a sort of old basement smell, as that is where it likely came from. When the tobacco was re-hydrated it smelled of mildly sweet iced tea mix with a strong dark coffee note as well. The cut is what I would consider a very fine cube cut, making packing it quite easy.

The taste from the smoke itself was surprisingly pleasant. It has a very mild coffee and dried fruit taste, and the smell was mostly the same. I will say that it bit me a little, but it might be that I over-hydrated it and not the tobacco itself.

I wouldn't recommend that you go out of your way for this blend, but if you do find an old tin or package don't be afraid to try it.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Purchased From: Etsy

This one is hard to find and always needs hydration due to the very moisture compromising hinged top and only a very yellowed cellophane inner wrap. The Virginia flavor is noticeable but the cigar leaf is really kind of overwhelming and crusty looking among the bright (which is very dark now due to age). I'm not sure when production ceased, but it had to be at least 50 years ago as I've only found a couple of those hinged tins of this one.

Weber 62 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weber 62 (9)

This was my first pipe tobacco. It was in '62 and I told the merchant that I wanted it for my father, as I was only 16 and underage. It was still available in foil pouches at this time. I really liked it a lot but didn't have anything to compare it to. It was old-timey, smooth and unflavored as best I can recall.

Pipe Used: Yello-Bole zulu