The House of Calabash website has virtually no information about its tobacco blends. Anyone with hands-on knowledge of this blend is invited to add to this description.

BrandHouse of Calabash
Taste
nikonNUT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nikonNUT (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Description: Legion of Honor is a pure VaPer (more on this later) offered in House of Calabash's Craven line. It is presented in a ribbon cut with a perfect moisture level right from the bag and I believe that it is blended from VERY old stock.

Bag note: Suprisingly there is not a whiff of Perique to be detected. The aroma is of straight, sweet Virgina with the tinest hint of Bergamot.

A standard packing of the bowl, a quick char, and we are off. At first I'm still wondering if there is any perique in ths VaPer but as the bowl takes light it begins to assert itself. This is not the perique that I am used to (Lots of Fig and Date and very spicy) but more muted with a slightly musty note and only a tiny bit of spice on the retrohale. The perique actually offers a goodly bit of a dry cocoa and coconut butter and I see where mention of the use of perique for its "cooling" effect comes from. At the moment the Virgina is the main player and offers up a cotton candy note with a hints of cinnamon and anise. As I get deeper into the bowl the perique is building in strength and the spice is becoming apparent and while the cocoa note holds on I am starting to get some fig also. I should note that puffing this blend causes the perique to really make its presence known with lots of spice on the retrohale but it never gets hot or bitey. If sipped slowly the Virginias shine and that glorious spun sugar appears. As I near the bottom of the bowl the slightest hints of lakeland essence appear with very mild soap and floral notes that are a very pleasant addition to the profile. Shortly after this I was staring to suck ash so it was time to call it quits. The tobacco burned cleanly with no more that a pinky nails worth of dottle in bottom of the bowl. I can say that this is a magnificent blend and, while pricey at $9.50 an ounce, is worth every cent and is quite long lasting with the bowl lasting an hour and twenty minutes. About the only other thing I can add is that the relights taste of pure wildflower honey and are delicious. Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Ser Jacopo Hawkbill

Age When Smoked: As soon as I got if from Mr. Books.

Purchased From: House of Calabash

Similar Blends: Nothing really. The old stock used by Mr. Books puts this in a class of its own!.