PipesAndCigars

A pure Virginia blend from the best fields of Zimbabwe and Eastern United States. Rolled Twist Flake, then Cavendish pressed and cut.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars
Strength
Taste

3.1

As with the LNF, this was a small sample received from a friend. I wasn't quite as taken with this one as I was LNF, but this is still a very worthy VA. Beautiful presentation - almost artistic.

Very well behaved VA which is lighter on the citrus but with some added sweet casing. The casing was not intrusive but I would like to try this without it. Even so, this was a good tasting flake, easy to prepare, and with no faults. I prefer stronger VA's as a rule but this was a fine smoke with decent complexity that really shone during the last 1/4 bowl or so. Then it became expansive and richer.

Recommending this one, as with LNF and LBF, is a no-brainer. Some folks may prefer other VA's but there is nothing to dislike here. I may buy some more and play around with some additional blending tobaccos, as this has a very solid base.

Darby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darby (15)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As with the Navy Flake, since I already posted a detailed review of the PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, I’ll limit myself here again to a side by side comparison with the LNF & LBF.

The PS LTF is a stunningly beautiful med-sized twist flake. Whereas the base of the LBF seems to be predominantly bright virginas mixed with a generous dose of perique, and the LNF seems to be virginias that have been matured and flue cured to enhance their natural sweetness (plus a little perique for balance), the base here seems to be a blend of virginias that were pressed, twisted, and run through the cavendish process. Although not officially listed, I believe a modest caramel topping was added as well, which brings us into the shallow end of aromatic territory.

For me, this is a 3 star tobacco whose smoking experience didn’t quite measure up to its visual beauty. The why behind that needs some explanation, so bear with me.

Although the modest aromatic topping makes this flake smell sweeter than the LNF, the cavendish process they used seems to have robbed this tobacco of some of its oomph. While it brought out and partially transformed some of the sweetness present, and gave it some subtle hints of vanilla and butterscotch, it also over-mellowed it. Combined with the lack of perique (which adds both spice, complexity and duration), the result is a somewhat short finish that leaves the sweetness unsupported, fails to balance the natural alkalai present {read: slight tongue bite}, and leaves the caramel topping looking like a half-hearted corrective tweak. It’s still a very good flake that many aro fans clearly enjoy, but for me "good" falls well short of "great", and the result is a pleasantly sweet, if unspectacular, smoke that doesn’t make me fight the urge to puff faster and order more.

Personally, I might have taken this flake in a slightly different direction. The easy choice would have been to add some perique to round out and prolong the finish, but that would be redundant with the LBF and LNF in the PS lineup. Instead, I would have lessened the caramel and perhaps tried adding a little Turkish leaf, for a hint of spicy complexity, a whisper of smoke, and a much longer finish. In fact, I’ll probably blend the remainder of my 1 oz sample with some Samsun, to test that out.

3 stars, less 1/2 star for a short unbalanced finish, leaves 2 1/2 stars. Add the half star back if you like aromatics.

Pipe Used: Grabow Royalton

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Korndog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Korndog (16)

If there was an award for best looking tobacco, this would surely be a shoe-in. I like holding these flakes in my hand and staring at them. My wife thinks I'm weird too. Anyway, great smoke with a pretty heavy topping that borders on being over the top. It pushes the limits for me on that level, but stops at a very pleasant sweet complexity. The flakes roll up nicely and splay at the end for an excellent burn. They rub out to nice fine ribbons, but I usually prefer the roll and stuff method, which seems to preserve the sweet vanilla notes better. This is best smoked without relights in my opinion as the flavor drops considerably.

Update: I have been smoking this tobacco daily and it has become a favorite. I find the sweet aromatic notes to be extremely pleasant while still providing a good tobacco experience in the traditional sense.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Only average for me due to the weakness of strength and taste. Still, if you enjoy sweeter, milder Virginia tobacco, then you might personally enjoy this one better than I.

The leaf is of great quality but it does have a tendency to burn hot if not smoked very slowly. I also believe there to be some sort of sweetner added to the Cavendish but would not bet my life on it.

Similar in some respects tastewise to Astley's #109.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this one a very good smoke, similar to PS-Navy Flake, with perhaps a sweeter aftertaste due to the absence of Perique. But in many ways it resembles its near cousin in that smooth, pleasant and distinguished flavour. It burns very well, it has all the quality of good Virginia leaf (even if some of it comes from Zimbabwe), and the cut helps to preserve it fresh. It is not a moist tobacco, but its natural oils and juices provide a rich yet discreet savour that personally I find very agreeable. It is easy to pack and light and burns slowly. The Cavendish process seems to round up the flavours of the different Virginias, and gives the whole tobacco a light brown hue with some birdseye. The aroma is very civilised. Non smokers don?t seem to complaint, though they don?t tend to get specially excited by its smell?Again, plain smoking tobacco, uncomplicated, very enjoyable and virtually no tongue bite. There seems to be no mystery in these blends (Navy Flake included), as if they were not intended to grasp your senses and taste buds in a symphony of contrasts and hidden treasures. Basically, an honest all day smoke (in my case happily accepted at work), designed to keep you happy. A good change of pace, leaving the more complex tobaccos for the evening.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

After transferring from the bulk bag to a mason with 30 days untouched, the "tin" note is wonderful. Minute wisps of sweetness with very subtle notes of dried fruit, raisins maybe. Lovely flakes of zig zagging streaks strewn with speckles of pale straw colored bits.

I find hand rubbing into the long ribbons then light stuffing to be the easiest means to light and smoke. The flavour is mild and rather monotone to be honest. Not a "wow" flake by any means. But still an enjoyable smoke nonetheless. French inhaling is yet another means to taste this flake. I am hopeful that aging will help this flake grow in flavor.

Pipe Used: Several Pete's

Age When Smoked: New - Bulk

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

A sweet, fairly aromatic Virginia cavendish with a citrus, caramel, hay and earthy taste. It's fairly creamy and mild with a light fruity, honey topping that's a bit on the perfumey side, along with a few vanilla notes. Burns exceptionally well with very little moisture at the finish. Not really an all day smoke due to the perfume essence. It's a decent starter Virginia for those looking to break away from straight aromatics, and an okay change of pace for those needing a flavor break from stronger, less sweeter Virginia blends.

I see some people recommend this in part for the price point. I dunno... this isn't remarkable enough to suggest buying it to save a few bucks. You should buy a blend for its own merits. Just like you should rate a review because it gives helpful information to a reader, not because you disagree with the reviewer.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)

Update: I have downgraded this from three to two stars and then back again to three. The caramel topping had become cloying, but after some time away from this blend I always find myself craving it.

Original review: One of the more interesting Virginia tobaccos. The taste is of caramel with a hint of citrus, black currant and anise. This tobacco delivers a sweet, bite-free VA smoke with just a hint of fruity, minty freshness. Unlike most other blends it leaves a remarkably pleasant (fresh) smell in my pipe the next day. Room note is very pleasant for smokers (half the reason I enjoy smoking it) and, on average, mildly pleasant for non-smokers.

This is a delicious, amazingly nice looking Va pressed square Flakes that smell truly wonderful from the pouch and will give you an outstanding earthy/creamy and semi-sweet Virginia flavor with a permanent earthy bass note, the burning is particularly cool and biteless for a Virginia, the smoke is mild and enjoyable, the burnt caramel and hay-orange casing used on it is absolutely delightful.

Try Astley's No.109 Virginia Flake if you prefer the same flavor as this one but more natural and with no casing

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (45)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I enjoyed this flake.. It is on the milder side with no spicy notes. It has a sweet taste to it, and the pouch note is sweet caramel, dried fruit. Very mild without a lot of nicotine. It's a nice change of pace when you want a milder flake on the sweet side.

Pipe Used: Dr Grabow grand duke

Age When Smoked: Fresh - 1 month old

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes online

beano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beano (7)

You owe it to yourself to try some LTF. Its cheap, it nice to look at, and smokes good. Its got some kind of honey, or vanilla, or something that I just can't put my finger on, but its suttle, and its good. Grassy. Several ozs in the cellar and I order a few more ozs with every order but it never seems to stack up because its getting burned constantly.

Pipe Used: cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh, <1y

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Looks nice, distinctive. Wonderful squares of twisted tobacco, mesmerizing grain. Doesn't bite. Burns well. Wow. Remarkable in its neutrality. No nicotine kick. Flavorful as a nice tall glass of water. Terribly bland. Criminally bland. Beans and cheese on toast. Rock soup, garnished with celery. Steamed vegetables. Bill Cosby funny. A minivan. Saltine crackers. CSPAN. Movie theater popcorn without butter or salt. Captain Janeway. Watching snails race across the pavement. Ideal for people without a tongue. Makes Captain Black seem like 965. Powerful, powerfully boring. Retirement home happy. Socks for Christmas. 1980s Volvo. Consecutive Powerpoint presentations. On economics. At gunpoint. Fresh air in a closed room. The most uninteresting tobacco in the world.

hambone71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hambone71 (4)

I discovered something today. VIRGINIAS! Boy, what a treat. This is the first pure VA that I've tried and I'm glad I did. I tasted a delightful sweetness that I have not gotten from any English blend. LTF smelled sweet right from the bag and I couldn't wait to try it. I've been warned about the tongue bite that VAs are know to give but I must be smoking it right because I find it to burn fairly cool. I can give only 3 stars for now because its my first. I am now on a quest for more VA blends.

Frosty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Frosty (37)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a wonderful flake. I think it is ready to smoke right off the truck, and I smoked through my pound so fast that I don't know what age does to it. My pound was perfectly dry right from the bag, and I just folded and stuffed it into all manner of briars, though I admittedly prefer big, thick walled briars for everything. The flavor is smooth, creamy and evolves into a bit of caramel to me. The flakes are beautiful and uniform. No tongue bite, easy to deal with, delicious. This is not really a late night contemplative treat smoke, just a steady, dependable good smoke with volumes of creamy smoke. Try it if you like Virginia flakes - I think you will like it. I just talked myself into ordering another few pounds.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)

I must be in my Virginia phase(and loving it)I recently tried all three Stokkebye Luxury offerings. Not a bad blend out of the three. Most everything has been said about the virtues of this fine blend.Presentation is great. As with most tobacco that I recive of late,the moisture level is high. I dried it out a little and it was good. I, by mistake, dried it out to what I thought was "way" to dry. I decided to try it,and what a pleasant surprise. I crunched up a few flakes and put them loosly in my Vipratti POY 2004,lit it up and was rewarded with one of the best smokes in recent memorie. Smoked great,stayed lit,lots of cool dry flavorful smoke,and surprise....no bite. I'm glad I recently purchased 1.5 pounds of this fine tobacco...some for now,and some for the cellar.My opinion **

TechnoChimp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TechnoChimp (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I am revisiting Virginians and to that end am presently comparing this to the Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake and Dunhill Light Flake. This is by far my favorite of the three. It is subtle, rich and beautifully balanced. It lacks the soapiness of the Dunhill and the one-dimensional nature of the Navy Flake. To get all the nuance out of it, try a pipe unsullied by heavy English. It also does very well in meerschaum. The 1.5 lb box price brings it down to everyday smoke level. I highly recommend this to anyone who likes a subtle smoke.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is one I really like......The cut is a pleasing swirled flake, nice hues of mahagony and black..... Pack as you would any other flake....I fold and stuff myself.. At Char light a great taste not unlike Molasses or Honey and Carmalized Brown sugar with a Virginia back up comes through... Cruising speed to half way point is a nice, tasty, no bite smoke. Just a great taste. Extremly well behaved- More so than P.S. L.N.F. Halkfway point to bottom does pickup the darker flavors. It gets a bit stronger in taste, but not at all unpleasant. I found myself wishing the 1 oz I got to try was more like 3. Great for walks in the fall air. Highly recomended and easily accessable..... Get some and try!!!

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

Whenever I want a sweet flavored tobacco, I reach for Luxury Twist Flake, Sweet Vanilla Honeydew Flake or G&H Rum Flake. These all fall into my range for flavored tobaccos that, in my opinion, still deliver the taste of tobacco. The square flakes are light in color, somewhat dry and can become quite brittle for rubbing out. The tobacco aroma is of a maple liqueur, and that taste carries over into the smoke. The Virginia is excellent quality, mild with no bite. If you are a lover of straight Virginia flavor, the downside with this tobacco is the residual sweetness of the smoke which requires me to have a cup of coffee on hand to clean the palate regularly. Sweet Vanilla Honeydew and Rum Flake require the same treatment. This is good tobacco and it is comforting to know that I have it on hand when my sweet tooth demands a break from Virginia and Perique. Highly recommended as a sweetened, flavored tobacco. Paddy.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Adding to the other reviews here: I will say that this is an excellent find for me...I truely enjoy it. The initial pouch/tin aroma seems more floral to me than others have noted. Too, these poor old taste buds pick up a steady assault of cocoa from start to finish - the change of pace from my usual English, Peace-y and Froggy favorites is most welcome. The burn is quite easy, even with flakes rather stuffed into the bowl to allow a slower burn when I am out in the Portland wind and slop (my job requires it so I march along with my left hand cupped over the bowl so it won't drown...trudging along with a smile on my face in the worst weather. In my poorest excuse of a pipe this tastes and burns well...seems to like my Nording and Stanwell deep-bowled free forms best...isn't enhanced much in my Meerschaum. Like my beautiful long-suffering wife, respect her and she will treat you well. Let's see...not fussy, burns well in any bowl, lovely flavor and aroma, yes - a winner indeed!

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

No substantive difference between this and Mac Baren's DARK TWIST. Quite good.

I wonder what will happen now that Zimbabwe's agriculture, very much including its tobacco plantations, (the finest in the Southern hemisphere) is being completely devastated, owing to the greed of yet another stupid dictator. Argh!

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

What a pleasant surprise this tobacco is!! I've had limited success with virginia flakes (probably more my technique than the tobacco)and I tried this one with some apprehension. I was surprised to find that it burns well, smells good, tastes good and is satisfying! What more could I ask for? It smokes well folded, rolled, or rubbed out, although I prefer rubbed. I highly recommend this tobacco. Up side? You may consider this a keeper. Down side? You can critique a really good tobacco.. 4 Stars.

tango Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tango (11)

I will smoke this stuff all day long. Well that's kind of a lie, because I only get a bowl or two on a good day, but still, it's fantastic tobacco.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (38)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is good stuff for those who like Virginia tobaccos with a slight topping such as Vanilla/Maple. It's not quite as good as McClelland's Fragrant Matured Cake, but it is comparable.

Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

First let me say that I'm not an aromatic lover, but that said, this is very well done. The tobacco is a Virginia forward blend with a touch of Cavendish and maybe? even a touch of Perique. The flavoring is not over the top , kind of a cookie dough/caramel scent and taste. It doesn't bite or smoke hot like other Aero's , so that's a plus. I think this would be a crowd pleaser but do you really want to smell and taste cookie dough all day ? Not me, good once in a while. I won't buy again not that it is bad, it's not for me ,but, I'm going to give this one extra star than my normal rating system only because it smokes well and really looks so pretty ( wish this didn't have the topping, I find it interesting that the above info classifies this as an aromatic , where the flavoring is listed as NONE ? ).

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: Orlik's Golden Flk. Red but with a topping, and, PS Lux Navy flake ,again with a topping.

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)

This is a good vannila aromatic flake easy to get and cheap to buy if you want a mild sweet flake check it out

I was gifted about 4 oz of this by a friend. I tried it cubed and rubbed out. I think the cubed was better and smoked most of it this way. I found it a little moist out of the bag, and it needed a little air to dry. My daughter commented that this tobacco was less stinky than what I normally smoke, so it gets a pleasant in the room note.

The topping is pleasant and sweet with a hint of vanilla maybe. There is a sweet fuit taste and some honey. It was hard to identify the flavors exactly, but they were good, and a subtle addition. I could taste the virginias, and I was not overpowered by the topping. The flavor profile overall was pretty mild for me, and the greatest hazard for me is puffing it too fast to get some more flavor out.

If you are looking for mild and lightly topped Virginia, this is good. The price is appealing as well for what you get.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (84)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Jar note is typical grassy African Virginia that was totally overwhelmed by a fruit casing: tropical, citrusy, plum, mandarin orange. The casing reminds me of Juicy Fruit - akin to Golden Sliced, but more intensely flavored. Erinmore Flake comes to mind.. I was completely unprepared for this level of flavoring agent. From charring light through the first third of the bowl, I picked up none of the honey or vanilla mentioned in other reviews. As the bowl progressed, the flavors mellowed a bit. But the flavoring agent remained dominant. That's not necessarily bad, but as a big fan of the other PS "luxury" flakes, I simply was not prepared for this level of fruit casing.

The flakes performed well, with no bite or excessive heat. So the casing is well done and doubtless applied to the same fine Virginia that makes up its sister flakes. But the final third of the was a bit ashy, with the remnants of the flavoring agent distorting the Virginias.

I was a bit disappointed relative to my expectations, though this would be a great choice as an all-day smoke for fans of Erinmore Flake, OGS, or even University Flake. As always, a great value from PS, though regrettably not to this reviewer's taste. The fruit casing was simply overdone. Though my opinion is obviously in the minority of reviews and should be taken as such. It pains me to give a PS flake a two-star rating given my love of this label's other flakes.

I'll jar this one for a year or two and see what some time does for it.

Update June 2014: I opened the jar and gave this blend anther try. As is typical with Virginias, a little time has worked wonders. The overt citrus casing has mellowed considerably. I now get delicate mandarin orange with hints of honey and sugar and framed by light plum and grassy Virginias - as opposed to the in-your-face citrus fruit flavors of the fresh product. Can get a bit ashy at times, and smokes a tad hot, another characteristic of African Virginias. But overall a pleasant smoke and a nice change of pace. Would make a good crossover blend for aromatic smokers looking to expand their tastes.

My recommendation to those who have acquired this blend, whether you like it or not, is to jar it and let it think about itself for six months or a year. You'll be impressed, and find a more delicate, subtle flavor. As such, I'm raising my review from two to three stars.

jgwaltney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jgwaltney (4)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

First off, the tin note is extraordinary. The high notes of vanilla, honey and hay overlap deeper notes of roasted malt and black tea. And this makes for a very sweet and natural scent that I can't find in any other Virginia flake I've had to date. However, this gave me the suspicion that there was a casing of some sort on the tobacco, and it made me nervous to say the least.

The presentation of this tobacco is nothing short of mesmerizing. I could stare at a single flake for several minutes and still be impressed. However, it came a little moist (as is par for the course for Stokkebye) but that was an easy fix. I just left it out for 45 minutes, and voila, great moisture for an easy smoke.

But on to the important bit, how it smokes. And that is where many smokers disagree. Let me be the first to say that this is not the traditional Virginia, so don't expect that from this tobacco. It's obvious that this is a twist on a Navy flake (no pun intended), and has a slight casing (and yes I do mean slight, not foul and overbearing like many reviewers say) of what I detect to be honey, but I may very well be wrong. It's definitely not a rum casing that is found on traditional Navy flakes.

On the initial light is where the flavor is strongest. Toasted bread with butter and brown sugar is the taste I get. Honey and molasses are present as well. The strength of the flavor and aroma may be what put many Virginia lovers at bay, and may have deterred them from giving this blend what it deserves: a full bowl smoked cool and clean.

As you progress more in the bowl, the flavor deepens and broadens and becomes very pleasant. Sweet English tea notes lay beneath high honey and chocolate notes, and this makes for a very cozy smoke. As the bowl progresses, notes of vanilla and raisin start coming in and intermingling with deeper notes of almond and french toast. Keep in mind, this is not an aromatic, and all of these notes taste organic and natural, not syrupy or overbearing.

Overall, while not what you'd expect from Stokkebye's description, it is still a top-notch blend that would be enjoyable by the most discerning pipe smoker. All it takes is an open mind. Side note: this blend does taste a little young, so I can only imagine that it will ripen with age.

bigsmokingwolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigsmokingwolf (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake.

Take it slow “Big Daddy”, real slow now, that's it, what a sweet baby! This tobacco for the money is mighty fine, there, I said it, mighty fine!

If you smoke this little flake too fast, it's going to light you up and leave you with a bowl full of ugly, and something so gorgeous and sweet should not be treated that way period.

The Virginia's give you that taste, well, it reminds me of days gone by, walking down that dirt road and grabbing that long stalk of grass with the seeds on its end, that you would break off and chew all day. It has an ever so slight kiss of Vanilla and that's it, plain and simple, but if you're smoking Virginia's, what else do you want.

I have two ways of smoking this flake, one is to take a single flake, fold it once, then fold it over and tuck it in my 1950 Dunhill Shell Briar “Bulldog” and sip. Second is, take three flakes, rub them out slightly and pack my Neerup Classic Bent Sandblast and settle down for a long relaxing smoke.

I will say this, if you don't like Virginia's, then leave this baby where you found it, if you like Virginia's and you can refrain from abusing this sweet little flake, then you are in for a treat. In closing the “Retro-hale” is the best part of this smoking experience.

Cochon74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cochon74 (21)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Only recently branching out into straight Virginia blends (previously being more inclined to English/Balkan blends), I have to say that LTF was somewhat disappointing...

The Good - this is a gorgeous flake in appearance... truly beautiful. It breaks up easily enough. It behaved wonderfully and smoked nicely. Completely inoffensive, exhibiting some fine qualities of VA leaf.

The Bad - as feared from the mere smell of this tobacco in its sample bag, it is heavily cased with a rather generic, cloyingly sweet flavoring (I'd hazard a guess to include vanilla, maybe honey, baked goods). This casing mutes the natural qualities of the leaf drastically and flattens the entire smoke. Sure, it makes for a lovely aroma, but a rather boring and unsatisfying smoke in my opinion.

This is not to say that it is a bad tobacco, just very much not to my liking. And given my experiences with Gawith's Best Brown Flake, McClelland's Brindle Flake and Pease's Union Square, this tobacco strikes me as more of an aromatic than a proper VA flake.

I've smoked the sample I got and will not be smoking any more. However, to new pipe smokers, Luxury Twist might be an excellent tobacco to start with.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)

Another Stokkebye offering in the "perfection" category.

On balance this is perhaps the best value among all the tobaccos I smoke. The flavour is always present, calming and satisfying: the essence of Virginia's sweet mellow fragrant character.

The burn is, again, perfection itself: excellent for beginners and anyone who favours Virginia tobacco. It's easy to smoke at a faint glimmer, which brings out the best flavours and aromas.

All without the need to relight if you cultivate the right pace. Some refer to this as "breath smoking" but I just call it slow and steady.

Packing is the same as for Bullseye Flake: fold each piece twice, tease lightly until rounded, and insert loosely into the bowl. Even off the top and sit back for 2+ hours of restoring calm.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Well, really 2 1/2 stars because, as a couple of reviewers noticed, it can smoke a bit hot and harsh if not treated with respect. But this has to be my favorite (unlit) smelling tobacco of all time. I like to open up the glass jar I keep it in every once in a while and stick my nose in-not sure what the flavor is: Fresh pastries perhaps? I almost detect coconut sometimes but this is probably my imagination. The presentation (appearance) of the flake is Art. I would rather smoke Bullseye and will buy that one by the 1.5 lb. box, but I keep Luxury around for the scent; and yes, if you are careful it can be a good smoke as well.

5-20-10 Smoking a bowl now, nearly an hour in and still some time to go. I have had some of this in a jar for a year, and have gotten no harshness from this bowl, just pure (other than the mild and pleasant topping) Virginia goodness. I used fold-and-stuff on this bowl, and the tobacco is a bit aged. This bowl, for what it's worth, almost earns four stars!

1-5-11 Revisiting this tobacco lately, and ordered some more. I really think you have to keep this one in a jar for a year after you buy it in bulk. I have been getting some good results. The wonderful aromatic smell does not translate to the smoke, which is slightly fragrant Virginia that will bite you if you are not careful. Sipped, this tobacco is sublime. When I get the new stuff, I am going to put it in the jar on top of the older. That way, I will always have a few well-aged flakes. I'm thinking about adding that fourth star...

fredkao Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fredkao (11)

Ok, this is the only PS I can have a positive review.
It have nothing special and don't have enough nicotine contain for me but I can finish my 4oz by mixing it with other flake from GH.
The aroma in the jar is pretty nice.

Pipe Used: Charatan, Peterson, ...

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (27)
Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

This is one of the better flakes out there. Smooth, creamy, vanilla-y, very good. The presentation of this tobacco is impressive—each flake is a thick rectangular slab of multi-colored goodness, nice. The scent, very unique, vanilla came to my mind first. Then why a three star rating and not a four? As smooth and creamy as this tobacco is, the nicotine level is high, so high, I had to knock it down one, otherwise, four stars. While I'm at it, I find the nicotine levels in nearly all Stokkebye's I've tested thus far to be high—I realize you tobacco manufacturers want us all to be your slaves, but really, how about a few more blends with less nicotine? Nicotine levels do not have to be high to make a good smoke. I found Luxury Twist Flake to be a tad fussy in the bowl—I had to relight it several times the first time I smoked it (though, perhaps, my fold and stuff method was not the best). The second time I smoked it, I rubbed it out and let it sit for an hour before firing it up (the tobacco was not particularly wet, though). Rubbing it out made the smoking experience much better. The tobacco did well in the freehand, the Nording was a pleasure to smoke—the bowl lasted nearly an hour. A great smoke. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Eric Nording Signature Freehand

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: 4noggins

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (29)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Heavy sweet casing on this, as others reviewers noted. I usually avoid aromatics/flavored tobaccos. I did not realize this was one. The sweetness was not unpleasant at first, but the extra sugar makes this tobacco burn hot. I didn't get tongue bite but was close to burning my tongue. The Virginia flavor is overpowered by the casing, and the flavor also is muted as the tobacco burns hotter. I got some goopiness through the stem, which was quite unpleasant. Too bad, I like the twist flake presentation, which is a pleasure to roll and stuff. It lights easily but had to relight a couple times.

Mochzky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mochzky (6)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I obtained LTF 1.5 lbs in bulk. This review is based on my impression after having consumed the half of it, 12 oz. Definitely a slight hint of vanilla note is detectable, which is quite pleasant and mild, not cloying. Casing is modest. The Presentation is superb. The modestly sweet vanilla fragrance matches the underlying grassiness of the mellow VA and often diverts my attention from its subtly tingling, stinging tastes that VA gives. By the 1/3 bowl, however, the fragrance doesn't stay and the taste becomes that of charcoal and ash especially when I re-light my neglected pipe after a brief respite. I'm not saying this is a cheap tobacco. LTF does not bite my tongue. Lights well. Burns well. Only it does not retain its quality to the last puff. So, I recommend emptying the charred tobacco stuck in the bottom when smoking is interrupted a bit through one-third of the bowl. Nothing exciting or unusual, yet far from being bland, LTF is moderate in tone in every aspect. Being moderate is of the essence when smoking in public. It is so far the best tobacco I smoke in the public places ( where, of course, smoking is not inhibited ), with the others around me, smokers or / and non-smokers. I put 3 stars in 4 scales, meaning 75 out of 100.

joeljcj2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joeljcj2 (8)
Mild Very Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

i find the casing so overwhelming as to make this unsmokable. i have smoked va-per flakes for many many unfortunately many years. i can not remember a more heavily flavored tobacco. i can not finish a single bowl. i do not know what that foul additive is. way, way too much tonkin ?, peach brandy ? whatever---ugh. this reminds me of a really cheap drugstore blend--- worse. presuming there is a decent tobacco underlying the aromatic flavoring it is drenched in, it is like hiding a single malt scotch in double sweet coca cola.--. i will never smoke a bowl of this again.i only hope i can get the taste out of the unfortunately excellent pipe in which i tried it. sure the bag smells okay, and the room is perfumed--not with a tobacco richness but the stink of cheap perfume in gross excess on a lady of the eve.

RupturedDuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RupturedDuck (6)

Essence of Hay. Dry, end of the winter hay, not your fall freshly cut hay flavor. Luxury Twist Flake is a pleasant smoke. After the first several minutes of smoking, my mind wanders in search of other items of interest for which to occupy itself. That is to say, the flavor is a bit forgetable.

If you have been smoking English blends all day, and feel like switching to something a little sweeter, this might be the perfect interim smoke. It will cleanse the pallet, and leave the senses searching for more substance so that you will immediately pick out the nuances of your next tobacco. If, however, my first pipe of the day is an after dinner puff, this tobacco is not one that I would pine for.

jhigh58 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jhigh58 (13)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I opened this up and love the smell rich moist sweet, makes my mouth water and want to take a bite. I rubbed it out by rolling in my palm and loaded up. It was moist but burned very well. Rich smooth full sweet taste. I have stocked up with more of this fine tobacco. And I will be adding more to my stash.

Bowser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bowser (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I decided it was time to try a flake, and this is what I selected. My selection was based primarily on looks and smell (almost like country air mixed with Raisin Bran). But looks are ultimately insignificant, as it all goes to ash...

This blend responed best to being rubbed, or shredded and then torn into small pieces. The roll-and-stuff method left little half-burned tobacco bits stuck to the bowl, and trying to cube-cut it resulted in the strips just falling apart anyway.

It smokes cool and dry, and is the first Danish blend I've tried that did not give off a vile sour taste or Char-Broil my mouth. It also seems to have quite a lot of nicotene; after my first smoke, I had to sit down because my head was spinning. However, the taste falls into two categories: remarkably similar to McClelland's 2045 Oriental (the blend previously smoked in my little ol' cob), or nothing at all. I probably would have enjoyed it more were my palate a little better developed and not ravaged by cigarette smoking. My girlfriend found it unappealing, and it's also a bear to keep lit.

If you're a Virginia fan, this blend may just ring your bells. Luxury Twist Flake has merit, but at this time, it's just not for me.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a great flake for a smoker venturing into the world of flakes. Prepares very easy, lights and smokes with ease. This will appeal to beginners and veterans alike.

Tin note reminds me of some sort of vanilla/maple danish. That same tin note transfers over to the inital light, but diminishes after about the 1/4 mark. Never hints at biting, and smokes dry down to the bottom of the bowl.

I give this 4 stars due to the fact it is an awesome flake for all pipe smokers to enjoy.

Makes a great morning smoke with coffee.

Logwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Logwood (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I can hardly taste anything when I smoke this tobacco. It seems to produce a cool smoke, and is quite smooth. It also has a medium level of nicotine.

This would be good as an all-day smoke, as you can smoke a lot of it without any ill effects, but it does lack a certain depth.

Bucky19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bucky19 (13)

For someone who is just geting in to virgina flakes this is a great place to start. Alot of flakes when pressed seem to have a greater nicoten punch than other cuts of tabacco this flake doesn't I really enjoy the mapple tast it has but it's still not a wet aromatic it burns slow and great. I say go for it it's a nice flake and it's a good one to try if your new to flakes

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)

Yummy. A effortlessly smoked, mildly flavored VA that is perfect with a good book. Once dried out this is VERY bite free. And it's so freaking cheap! Buy some today!

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I've been smoking this one for a while now and every time I go back to it, I fall in love with it again, until I run out. Tightley presed square flakes of Pure Red, Orange and toasted brown Virginia, with a very light sweetnes enhancement. The casing is neither over the top or in the way, but perfect. The Virginia comes thru in billows of smoke and the aroma is pleasing to all. Wonerful, wonderful pipe tobacco here.

Rodricus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodricus (22)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What a handsome tobacco that provides a tasty smoke!

Over the years I´ve tried several flakes, though I find them hard to preserve, pack, and smoke. Yet, a few of them deliver such a unique and delicious flavor that they are worth the while. Luxury Twist Flake is one of this tobaccos.

Discribe this flake as "light aromatic" can be deceitful. Yes, it is a little aromatic. But this tobacco taste like tobacco in an this-is-virginia way.

The taste is zesty, floral with a hint of grass, you can perceive molasses, and fresh barley.

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)

Another great flake tobacco from Stokkebye's. I loved this flake from the very first puff. A good full flavored, high-quality Virginia flake. If you prefer flaked tobacco's, like I do, you need to give this one a try. And at $10 for 4oz, you can't beat the price.

freestroke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
freestroke (4)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

My first flake! During 50 years of pipe smoking, somehow I managed to miss the flake world, but now flakes have taken over -- and by coincidence I suppose, this is still one of my favorites.

Took me a solid week to figure out fold and stuff after I started on flakes, but that's the way to go with LTF. With one late tamp and relight, goes right to the bottom and I generally only need one match to get it going. I managed to get some tongue bite my first go at this, rubbed out, but it was definitely "operator error". With fold and stuff, it burns cool and sweet, a superior smoke through and through.

The possibly the prettiest tobacco on the planet. The aroma in the bag is exceptional, although I have no idea what the flavoring might be. The room note is subtle and delicious and certainly shouldn't bother any but the most hardcore anti-smokers.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is the first Peter Stokkebye tobacco I try and I kindly request from his fans not to think aphoristically of me. A very nice, compressed flake which no matter how you place it in the bowl, either whole or crumbled or using my method, “cut in cubes”, it fills it easily and it also lights up pretty effortless. I will express a, perhaps, different opinion from the general one. This tobacco, for my taste, is too flat. There is no flavor variation from the moment you start until the bottom of the bowl. It is very positive that it remains dry and easily smoked until the end. It releases a slight sweetness but nothing more. I cannot say that I will get a nice drink, I will put some beautiful music, I will fill my favorite pipe with LTF and I will sit and enjoy it. No way, and it's not the drinks fault.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

P.S. Twist Flake... Purchased in bulk, the flakes have a nice chocolate cherry aroma. My flake preparation is straight forward. A quick rub out, a short drying time, stuff, fire up and enjoy. You do your part, and this tobacco will do its part, delivering most of the subtle flavors you would expect, from what seems to be quality tobacco. I felt no bite, stays lit and is inexpensive, A very nice trio. Enjoy. Personal rating 2.5 out of 5

Pike Mopers III Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pike Mopers III (6)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Definitely one of my favorite blends. This one will stay in my rotation for a long, long time. The smell in the bag is completely unique and absolutely lovely. It is an excellent smoke if you take light puffs, but like most tobaccos it's easy to go overboard and bite your tongue to hell! Enjoy!

Uncle Arthur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Arthur (15)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I am a huge fan of Stokkebye flakes and this is no exception. Smokes nice and cool with a nice hint of sweetness . In my ain't no way humble opinion this is an excellent VA . YMMV

AbeCox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AbeCox (17)
Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

First foray into the world of straight Virginias and flakes. Did the stuff and puff method in one of my newer pipes, lasted for about an hour or so, counting relights.

Nice flavor that crosses between almost cigarette-y to hay like Virginias. Will bite if you puff too furiously. Left a nice white ash line on the edge of my bowl. Good flavor, but just not with that particular zazz that I look for in a blend.

pipetype Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipetype (10)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Nice Body. A minor Treasures of Galway combined with a major SG Dark Chocolate taste. For my genes: it has about 10% too much perfume, but the right amount of sweet. It lit well, and is burning great. I really do like it. It is somewhat like a hybrid of the SG Full Virginia Flake (Hay) SG Chocolate (mid-sweet nutty Cigar) with a very mild component of licorice whiskey perfume (T. of Galway; Velvet; Lane etc.) It could only get better with age? I love the sweet, and the slow. Less perfume and this would be it.

Country Doc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Doc (20)

So many reviews already - just a couple notes

Quality tobacco, very pleasing flavor, burns nicely. Flavor just not strong enough to give a higher rating.

Update 12 Sept 10 Upgrading LTF to 3.5 - I have tried a few bowls rubbing it out before packing and the flavor noticeably intensifies. Slow puffing is the way to do go.

Sweet, caramel nutty flavor that seems to have more to do with the tobacco than with any casing.

I will be cellaring this one.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)

I've just recently discovered this excellent brand of tobaccos. I love this stuff. I've tried many flake varieties and I have to say that this in in my top five. Very smooth, lights well, burns fairly clean, leaving very little moisture at the bottom of the bowl. The flavors come through when puffed gently. For a Virginia blend, not too harsh on the tongue either. Breaks up easily enough. In a clean cob, you really get all of the subtle variances of this blend.

1/1/11 Update: I've been buying this in bulk, about 4 ounces at a time, and found that it seemed to dry out before I could finish the pouch. This made it burn too fast, as well as losing some of the subtle flavors associated with this blend. My local B&M gives me some little baggies with my cigar purchases, which have these little clear crystal liquid balls, about the size of a BB. They put them in the small plastic bag containing my cigar purchases. They told me it was to keep my cigar fresh, and humidicated. So I had a few of these little buggers lying around. I put the remainder of my bulk blend in a ziplock sandwich baggie, with two of the little hydrating bags, and viola, it made it good as new. Thompson Cigars sells these little humectant crystal balls. Might be worth having some for when your stash gets a bit on the dry side...

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I really wanted to like this tobacco. The flakes are unique and the smell is sweet reminding me of cookies. Sadly, that where my interest ends. It is just boring. I put some aside and returned to it about six months later with the same result. The cavendish leaves a unwanted coating in my mouth. It's just not for me. Not Recommended.

PHOBOS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PHOBOS (9)

Very good flake tobacco. Easy to smoke. No tongue bites.I like it very much. Yes Pete it is to me. Sweetness, good aftertaste and easy puffing. I recommend it.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Mild Very Strong Medium Tolerable

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake:

Nope Sorry Pete, this one just doesn't do it for me. Too much top-dressing or casing or whatever is used to sweeten this blend. Almost cloying.

Good tobacco for aromatic lovers with medium range aromatic blend cravings.

The other Luxury blends are fine and a couple(but not all) of the Latakia ones are very nice as well but this one is just foo sweet for me.

The room note is ,I suppose , all right but nothing I have much opinion on.

The strength is O.K. as well (body and mouth effects not overwhelming.) It's just that sweet taste that reminds me of the goopy Lane or Altadis stuff. Can't and don't want to handle it.

I am aware that I am in the minority opinion on this and that's O.K. with me

Recommend it? Only somewhat and to aromatic smokers. This is not as implied a straight Virginia flake in the traditional sense of the word. It is a very sweet blend which is fine if the smoker likes that sort of thin. I don't.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)

Great flakes, with a round sweetness with a slightly nutty aftertaste, some light spicy hints that fits perfectly in the smoke. It is a blend that if the flake smoked whole, not broken, smoked in small pipes, it gives really good feeling!

modelmanmodels Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
modelmanmodels (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

For years and years I've always found my way back to Twist Flake. I'm all over the map with trying new things but when all's said and done, Twist Flake takes me home. Literally..You see on my commute home, I smoke Twist Flake. It burns long and forever and when I get to mid bowl it really finds its own way. I feel my blood pressure coming down as I hit my exit ramp and still have my bowl alit with me. Try this sometime. Budget your time with it as it does burn slow and don't rush it. A real treat.

ImAFlake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ImAFlake (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I may honestly be done trying other Virginia flakes. I recently tried SG Firedance Flake and I might as well have just put a flaming marshmallow in my mouth. I get to take a vacation from the pipe for a while to heal. I don't understand how two Virginia flakes can be so different to my chemistry, but they are. LTF does not bite me if I pay reasonable attention. Even when it did, it was just a little on the tongue, not the rest of my mouth. The presentation of the flakes and the way they are processed could have a lot to do with it. Nonetheless, I have purchased more of this in bulk and can see having a long relationship with this tobacco. I think others noted that if you heat it up too much, the taste will turn on you. That makes it easy to know if you are smoking it right. Keep it as cool as you can and take it slow and it will reward with taste and great aroma. The bulk price just can't be beat.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

Another in the excellent Luxury Flake series, this one has a topping which works very well with the underlying tobacco. I may like this more than Luxury Navy Flake, even though typically I prefer VAPer to VA. Great value.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Very pleasing. And a sprinkling of perique on top of a palm of rubbed flakes makes for a memorable smoke.

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Strong, smokey, calms down a little toward the middle of the bowl. Can be harsh at times. The virginia tasted a little tart. Perhaps some aging would do it some good. I have a feeling the reviews may vary greatly because some of this stuff may have been aged well, while other stocks are not. It's not the quality of the tobacco in question, it's the age. If your order was aged from the git-go, congrats. Otherwise throw it in the cellar for several months and we'll see what happens.

pipeslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeslayer (16)

This has been my sort of go-to smoke lately. I love the weird twist flakes, which I just wad up and jam in my pipe. They light and burn great, and this tobacco has a nicely structured, tangy VA flavor to it, with a very smooth and pleasant sweetness underneath. The pouch aroma is sweet and full, earthy with a vinegary note, and I find it quite nice. As with most VA blends I have encountered, I have an urge to eat the baccy. It just smells delicious. I do find that this has to be smoked fairly gently or it bites. It can also get edgy and take on an ashy flavor. Perhaps others disagree, but I get the best flavor and the least pain when I sip it gently. There is some complexity in this smoke, but it is fairly straightforward overall. I enjoy it and find it to be a very high quality everyday VA at a great price. It is better than a number of more expensive ones, for sure. Stokkebye does it right.

camachoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
camachoman (6)

Although I primarily smoke English blends, this tobacco is fantastic! See the comments a few reviews down from "KinnScience". I completely agree!

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Really lovely Virginia flake. My usual method of loading the pipe is to fold it in half twice and just shove it in the bowl. This provides a very slow, cool smoke all the way down. The flavor is very sweet and caramelly and nutty, with perhaps a hint of orange and vanilla that may be from a casing, but if so it is very light. Extremely pleasant all-day smoke. To smoke it effectively in a briar I need to dry it out quite a bit, but in a meerschaum it smokes well even when a bit moist. Great stuff.

gildervoigts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gildervoigts (16)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought some of this from my local tobacco shop. I was drawn to it because it looks good and smells great in the tobacco canister. I first tried the cut into 1/4 inch squares method that I use for other flakes, but it didn't work out well as the tobacco tends to fall apart pretty easily since the flake is cut so thin, but it smoked ok. Being that the cut method didn't work as well, I tried the fold and stuff method. When I did this it smoked hot, and seemed not to produce a good flavor. The last thing I tried was a pull the flakes apart and break it into smaller pieces; that was it. It smoked well, tastes good, and remained cool. Overall it has a faint sweetness that kind of has a vanilla-ish (it seems that anything that is slightly sweet has this taste for me), caramelized nutty taste that I enjoy. Recommended.

alfabet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alfabet (3)

I recently bought a "sampler" of virgina,cavendish and burleigh, based in no small part on this website and the reviews. I tried the PS luxury twist flake and my first bowl, immediately upon lighting up, struck me as a potentially new favorite. I was struck by the aroma and very pleasant sweetness of the tobacco. As I am condemned to a smoke free office building with windows that do not open, I must take this pleasure out of doors and despite the cold of a 20 degree afternoon, this was a very pleasant experience.

I found that loading the pipe with the flake without rubbing it out allowed for a very slow burn and fine, even white ash which could be savored for a good long time. It did get gurgly, often but I find that to be very common with all of my tobaccos. It probably is a result of my preference to them being somewhat moist.

Unless you are one who prefers the English blends with orientals (which I have never been able to adjust to in 49 years) this could be THE choice for the smoker looking for a sweeet, slow and fragant smoke.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)

This one is a winner in the category of everyday virginia absolutely nothing wrong to say about this one the taste is sharp virginia with a little bit of sweetness from the cavendish, is easy on the tongue as long as you don't over puff, is ready to smoke from the get go, but I prefer to dry mine at least for an hour before I smoke it, the reason why I'm not giving 4 stars to this blend is because in the nicotine department is lacking for my taste.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is the best presented and smelling of the Luxury Stokkebye's IMO, though I prefer the Bullseye. I find it a little stronger than the Navy. This is always on hand at the local shop so I usually pick up a couple ounces every other trip. Good price. Good taste.

IHT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IHT (15)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

like "Kinn" just said, I don't see how it gets less than 3 stars (or 4). there are a few people who obviously don't like VAs but continue to review them and give them a low rating.

as for this blend, I have no clue why it took me so long to try it. I had a decade old sample many years ago, of 2 bowls-worth, and it was excellent. I think the person told me it was LNF, not LTF.

This blend packs easily, lights as easy, and has one of the best VA room notes I've had the pleasure of being around.

The flavor has none of the "hay/straw" qualities I find in LBF and slightly in younger LNF. oddly, I find this blend to be more "navy" like than LNF, which is a good thing. Flavor changes as the bowl grows older, and right now it has a great tasting spice that I just can't name.

easily 4 stars from me.

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (29)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

OK, I am completely mystified as to any review under 3 stars on this one. Even if you don't like VA, you have got to give credit where it is due. PS has shown true genius in making this VA blend. There is nothing else quite like it on the market anywhere. I have over 320 lbs of pipe tobacco in my cellar and I have to rate this in the top 5. All tobacco has some casing, so I can't see faulting PS for that. The trick is use as little as possible during the curing, and to marry to the tobacco taste so that it enhances the tobacco, not bury it. PS does the job 100% here IMO. LTF represents PS's skill in curing/blending.

LTF provides the smoker with a toasty sweetness. Freshly baked rolls in the bakery at 5:am would be the way I would describe it..

If you have not tried LTF, you have not experienced VA blends.

Update: I want to add that if you are comparing this to FVF .. or to 5100, you may end up disappointed. It does not have a flavor that is as robust, especially comparing to FVF. What is good about this flake is that it is subtle and mild. It becomes great as an all day smoke (rubbed out), to add a mild sweetness and tame down a heavy tobacco, or by itself when you want to smoke a subtle tobacco. Lets face it, if every tobacco was heavy, we'd have fewer dimensions to enjoy. I will agree to lower this to 3 stars (I'd do 3.5 if I could) simply because I agree it is not quite up to the level of FVF or 5100 (which are two of my favorite VA's). But this flake is a wonderful flake, and it has its place in my Va rotation.

Update 3/31/11

I cracked open a vacuum sealed jar that has been in my cellar for 2 years (vac sealed by heating the jar prior to putting in the tobacco and sealing... works great) The subtle caramel and baked roll aroma was stronger than when the tobacco had initially gone in.

Preparing the flake (bend and roll technique) I put it in a Barling African Meer - bent bulldog) The flake lit without issue and relights were rare compared to other flakes. The tobacco burned down to the utopian "white ash" that so often eludes me with other tobaccos.

The flavor was a much more obvious fresh baked bread and caramel taste from the start, and continued to grow as I passed the half bowl mark. Lots of delicious white smoke throughout the bowl. The caramel began to surpass the baked rolls after the first 1/3, and I noted a faint vanilla flavor becoming through to a greater extent. The sweetness was not as abundant throughout the bowl as is the case with other VA flakes; it is there, but not as obvious.

With this flake, as with all VA's flake or otherwise, I highly recommend obtaining in bulk and aging for at least a year if you can. The flavor of a VA really becomes something to sing about when it is aged. Of all types of tobacco, VA continues to improve more and more with age to a much greater extent. This flake is certainly no exception, and it may even age better than most.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Luxury Twist Flake has an apetisant form and smell, packs and lights easily. Offers a cool, long lasting smoke.

Unfortunately this high grade tobacco has a mild strength and taste for my tastes. It has a sweet taste which has been enriched with a casing. I can't explain the casing, maybe it is just the cavendish, although it reminds me a bit vanilla.

The mild strength and less taste can result a fast puffing cadence which ruins the smoke. I hardly recommend smoking this tobacco very slowly.

If you look for a sweet and mild strength tobacco this one can be one of your favorite.

Old Puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Puffer (42)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

While this baccy does not smoke hot or bite and leaves no bad taste or odor in the pipe or mouth, I can't find any redeeming quality that makes it desirable or a stand out. It packs OK and lights OK, but the smoking is extremely one dimensional, becomes quite harsh toward the end of the bowl, and lacks any real flavor that makes it likable. Also has a humectant added that makes it impossible to dry out to any appreciable degree. Will not become a staple in my lineup and will not be reordered. Also, would not recommend for newbies.

Coolmojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coolmojo (3)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I was extremely impressed when I opened the bag, of all the Luxury series I liked the appearance of Twist flake the best. The smell reminded me very much of fresh made baked goods of some kind.

Upon lighting I realized there is some kind of topping on it, its not a aromatic by any means but you can tell there is a sweetener, and its not an all together unpleasant topping at that. I tend to like my aromatics...well aromatic and my english/va blends to be topping free but I rather liked the subtle flavor added to this. The topping does have one unpleasant quality though. I imagine when its not doing its job flavoring tobacco it moonlights as wood stain at some pipe maker. Rubbing it out would sometimes leave a gooey substance on my hand that would stain it a golden brown.

While the first light was an amazing flavor, it only lasted about 3 puffs and began to fade. It continued to fade for about 1/3 of the bowl and then leveled out to a mild, not very sweet VA flavor. I was somewhat let down by this, especially since the bowl started out so nicely.

Oh I did find a quality with this tobacco that was somewhat a double edge sword. Unlike most VA's I found that puffing to hard would drastically alter the flavor. When I started to draw to much the flavor would quickly turn to ash in my mouth, literally, it tasted like ash and nothing like tobacco. Slowing down would correct the problem. I say double edge sword because the flavor would turn revolting long before it would bite wich if a person was learning to smoke VA's for the first time, would be a great way to learn without having your tongue bit off.

All that aside, I wouldn't mind buying this tobacco again, I wasn't hugely impressed but I had to give it respect. It was good for what it was, it just wasn't what I was looking for.

'Baccy'Ho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
'Baccy'Ho (10)

I prefer burley/Va blends. That being said, LTF is a nice and somewhat bright change of pace smoke for me. I keep it around, it fills a nice niche in my cellar. It ages well, gaining in sweetness like all Va's. The wife likes the room note, I like the obvious quality and care that went into the production of this fine twisted flake. I also appreciate the mild flavor for the change of pace it offers from my typical diet of PS Cube Cut and other burley blends that I smoke daily. This blend, like just about every Va out there has the potential to bite if provoked. So...Don't provoke it. It is meant to be smoked slowly and savored like a fine wine or liquor. If you feel your pipe getting on the hot side of warm, you are smoking it too quickly. For me, LTF prefers a medium/large diameter and somewhat deep bowl. Like most Va's it appreciates a dedicated pipe as to not muddy it's somewhat delicate nuances. It is a good blend that I enjoy at least several times a week.

Happy Puffin'

sweetpipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sweetpipes (7)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

Fourth bowl same as first--very mild flavor that becomes somewhat heartier a third of the way through the bowl, where up until that point I could not have been more disappointed in what seemed to be a flatliner from the get go. The next leg of the journey reveals more of the good virginia flake qualities, but the first leg is always a let down. Re-lighting definitely knocks down the already very mild flavor and makes what should be a pleasant experience a chore. There are, however, a variety of pleasant flavor shadings and transformations half way through the bowl which continue to excite the pallet almost to the point of redemption, and for now, I'm willing to continue my exploration of this tabac.

Lawrence G. Foster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lawrence G. Foster (7)

A very pleasant Virginia flake, both in smoking qualities and presentation. The swirled layers of tobacco are pretty indeed. Produces soft, sweet smoke if enjoyed slowly. As with most Virginia's, it does have the potential to bite if puffed too fast. Twist flake is similar to Peter Stokkebye's other 'Luxury' Flakes (Navy, Bulls Eye, etc.), but is without perique.

Slow Draw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Draw (26)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

These flakes are little works of art. And like Mr. Korndog, I too sit and stare at them for extended lengths of time!

I let them dry a bit, and then the fold and stuff method works great. The way the flake naturally starts to break up (due to the unique folded and pressed manufacturing) makes it easier to light than your average flake. This stuff burns great and produces creamy fountains of smoke when it's rolling by mid-bowl.

The virginias here are very agreeable to the tongue. It hasn't bit me yet in any pipe or fill method. The top flavor is sweet but midly so, and has a sort of 'refreshing' tone to it. Almost like anis, or mint. But don't worry, the flavor is light and goes well with the high quality tobacco. I'm surprised how much I like the flavor.

A "must try" for those lovers of virginia flakes with a sense of adventure. A possible "hate it" for virginia purists or grouchy old men ;)

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

I read here that if you liked Troost Slices you might like LTF, and I do. LTF doesn't have the burley flavor, it is not as sweet. I used to smoke TS in this Caminetto back in the 70s. Fast forward 35 years. What with TS not being available in the states, I looked for something loosely similar and ordered a quarter pound of LTF based on reviews here, and I am not sorry. I rubbed out some LTF and placed it in the pipe according to the Frank video. I wish I had seen that video back in my TS days. I used to stuff the TS flake in the bowl and fire away. TS had a high moisture content and probably should have been aired out awhile before smoking it. It never occurred to me to do that. Of course, gurgle was inevitable. I never actually finished a bowl of TS. This LTF burns cool and dry right down to nothing but ash if you sip it. Zero bite.

In the years between TS and LTF I smoked a lot of cigars. It recently dawned on me that I could buy a decent pipe and a supply of tobacco for what I was paying for a box of fine cigars. So I bought a couple of Radices, a few tins and bulk bags, cleaned up the Caminetto, the GBDs and assorted other pipes, and I am resuming a journey started long ago. I would like to thank Phil Lowe for getting me started way back when.

Update 2/16/10: I cellared some in Jan '09. I really don't remember it, and my review from back then doesn't help much. It rekindles a memory of Troost Slices, but any Danish tobacco may conjure that memory. I don't have much Danish experience, this and the slices.

Initially, this is a pronounced buttery, caramelized pecan that fades to a pleasant, but mild cavendish VA. I prefer more strength, so here's my plan...add some ABF or Wessex. If it closely approximates that Troost Slices experience I'll be a happy camper.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

BOOYAH!

A most unique presentation and preparation of Danish Virginia Cavendish. One of the easiest flakes to prepare and smoke in a variety of techniques and pipes.

Very nice tobacco.

Psyktek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psyktek (20)

Move along, move along, nothing to see here except **

renaissance man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renaissance man (14)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

Pretty much everything has been covered by the over reviewers. My two cents are as follows...

Smells wonderful in the bag. Flavor of tobacco seems slightly muted. Lite, easy to smoke. Room note isn't the 1st choice of the wife.

The grassy flavor doesn't really present itself until the bottom 1/4 of the bowl.

I would recommend it, but only to those whose preference isn't a full bodied virginia.

To me this has about 1/2 the body of Solani 633, which for some might be exactly what they are looking for.

I have some Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Bullseye Flake on the way to see if I they are a little more hearty.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

There are times when I want a simple, above-average quality tobacco with a straightforward and natural taste. This flake comes close to fitting that niche. This Virginia tobacco is not complex, but it has a hint of sweet grassy aroma. Not the best of the Stokkebye "Luxury" line, but it is a respectable smoke and a good value.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)

Super price in bulk, AS GOOD as orlik golden slices with the exception that it runs hot and can really hurt you.

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

I purchased this from Captain Hunt?s in San Diego. The flakes are beautifully presented in a square swirl. The smell is very sweet, as if the tobacco was soaked in hazelnut liqueur. This topping flavor comes through on first light and lasts for the first third of the bowl. The taste is otherwise somewhat hollow and thin, here, but a richer tobacco flavor builds and by the last third of the bowl it can be quite nice. Not a rich, deep taste, just pleasantly malty and nutty - if you get it going just right. At suboptimal burn rates the taste is hollow and flat. This tobacco seems to work best for me in a briar with a narrow bowl when the flakes are just mashed or rolled into a cylinder. Actually, I like it best mixed with McClelland VIrginia #25, which adds depth. I?m glad to have tried Luxury Twist but I guess I don?t like it well enough to purchase more.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

A nice mellow Va flake. This seems to me as a good transition smoke for those in the aromatic realms. You get the best of both a lil virginia grassiness seems to pop up now and then through the topping which to me seems like caramel. Price is right and behaves well with no gurgle and few lights.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

A sweet and mild virginia flake that is gorgeous in appearance.

LTF has an interesting added flavoring that is difficult to pinpoint, although, thedstnguishdgntlmn 's comment, "Think baked goods right out of the oven", is probably as close as one can come to describing this flakes unique taste and aroma.

Not something I smoke everyday, LTF is nice change of pace from my normal virginias. Anyone who appreciates a flavored virginia should try this unusual offering.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

LTF is the most manageable, coolest, and most flavorful of the Stokkebye blends. For me, it's a nice change of pace when I don't want something richer and complex. I also find it a really good tobacco to mellow an English blend that I happen to find too strong for my liking.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

My original review was lost somehow. A flake pretty enough to frame. Stokkebye makes some of the softest, low-moisture flakes that are easy to lite.

I like this better than Troot Slices or Mac Burnout's Dark Twist or most aromatic blends for that matter. I gave this a try because my favorite tobacco-man personally bade me, the late Peter Stokkebye.

LTF has an aroma of Danish pastry, when Danish pastries were made with real butter; crisp, tender, flakey and found on bakery shelves, and were not made with vegetable shortening and stuffed into shrink wrap as a gooey "treat".

LTF is delicate, moderately cool, provides copious smoke, and worthwhile if mild, simple aromatic tobacco in flake-form is your deal. The price for 1 1/2 lbs. is hard to beat.

I may come back and give this a fourth star, as it really is quite good.

A pleasant and very well behaved Virginia, perfect for reading, or quiet contemplation. Good with coffee or tea. Definitely worth a try, but may be too mild for some of you who favor heartier flakes.

Cobnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobnut (8)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I recently bought four oz of this tobacco in bulk form .It is one of the most pleasing flakes of any to the eye with a lovely aroma .The first few bowls gave me the impresion of a so so virginia flake ,but after smoking more of this in a wide selection of pipes ,Luxury Twist Flake is up there with my favouite Va flakes .This tobacco rubs out and packs easily ,burn slowly ,gives me no tongue bite and a very satisfying taste I highly recommend this and give it 10 out of 10

Dietl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dietl (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a few ounces of this tobacco from a pipe shop over the Christmas holiday. When I asked for a few ounces of McClelland's that they had in bulk, the saleslady asked my if I had tried any of the Peter Stokkebye line, adding that they were replacing their McClelland's line with the Stokkebye (probably because it's cheaper). The tobacco has a beautiful finish, consisting of neat rows of squares, each of which are a cross-section of a twisted roll. It's some of the most beautiful tobacco that I've seen in a long time. The initial smell is very sweet with what strikes me as a hint of licorice.

After loading as I do with a typical flake, I found the lighting draw to be quite sweet. After lighting, it seems to mellow into a very mild, easy smoke. I'll need to smoke a few more bowls to give a sound description but found it very pleasant, all things considered.

I don't think this will replace Blackwood's Flake as my favorite Virginia right now, but certainly a worthy change of pace.

Edit: Just a post-note to indicate that after a few bowls, I find this tobacco to have a very mild and slightly spicy taste. Most would think it too mild. However, it does have a bit of a niccotine hit (for me at least).

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I smoked a ton of this. Its like the other version of Navy Flake they offer without the perique. (Since you can barely notice the perique in that they are similar). It has more bite than Orliks golden slices, a little more pronounced flavor,sweeter- but it is a little grassy notes that eventually drove me back to OGS. Buy a half pound, it is positively the best smelling tobacco ever! I bought a bunch once that was moldy, stokes is cheap....

BETTER PICK: MCCLELLAND CHRISTMAS CHEER 05' OR 06

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I bought an ounce of this in bulk, and the aroma of it in the bag was slightly sweet, with an almost creamy air to it. The flakes were incredibly uniform and easy to handle, and they were just the right moisture. Lighting was easy, and this tobacco stays lit.

However, even despite the very attractive price (two bucks an ounce), it falls short of being a virginia capable of standing on its own. It's not a mild virginia, it's more a bland virginia. The flavor came through fairly well, just very one dimensional (even for a va) and plain. At first I thought it was rather like a milder version of MacBaren's Navy Flake, but it isn't even near approaching that flake for flavor. And, it even makes Orlik's Golden Slices seem exotic and spicy in comparison.

Still, I find it hard to say that this is a "not good" tobacco. It's unexciting; that's the word. But, for someone looking for a very mild biteless va flake that smokes clean it will do. And the price is right, even comparable to cheap drugstore blends (most of which this is still far above in flavor and quality). I just can't really give it a full endorsement due to it's overly gentle nature.

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A sweet, medium Virginia flake, slightly stronger than its sibling, Luxury Curly Cut. This flake has the best tin aroma of any Virginia I have tried. Little tendency to bite if smoked slowly. A bargain in bulk.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Visually, Luxury Twist Flake is identical to Larsen`s Curly Cut Flake Number 32. The feel of the tobacco is the same, and the same method of folding the flake twice over serves packing perfectly. The listed ingredients are also, if my memory serves me right, the same. The burning characteristics, the taste and the room note of both tobaccos are similar: the Larsen product having a slightly tart berry or citrus note while LTF has a somewhat sweeter biscuit-like flavour. Neither tobacco will evoke the kind of superlatives that, say, Marlin Flake does, but both can be recommended unreservedly for the simple uncomplicated and durable pleasure that they afford to the pipe-smoker. The Hobbits, I imagine, smoked something like this.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (36)

I find the Luxury Twist Flake to be quite plain and not very interesting. When I want a light gold Virginia, I greatly prefer Mac Baren's Virgina #1 or Virginia Flake.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I absolutely love the flakes this comes in! So easy to rub out and pack!This has a very mild flavor, but if you give it a chance you'll get a wonderfully sweet tobacco with virtually no bite. This is the kind of blend I like to reach for when I just want to puff on something while I'm doing chores. It comes off with a nice virginia flavor with Stokkebye's danish casing adding some attitude. A very good Danish blend that I will smoke again.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

One of the few mild VA flakes that I can smoke without getting bit. For me the trick is to loosely wad the tobacco into a ball and "plug" the loosely wadded ball into a small bowled pipe.

I don't try to get a super-even burn with this va. I'll light the pipe, tamp it down, relight quickly and then sip on it like it was a fine cognac and the results are quite rewarding.

A wonderfully woody va flavor with a touch of topping that may be citrus.. great for the first smoke in the morning. High quality va and very mild.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Let me state first that I DO NOT LIKE VIRGINIA FLAKE TOBACCO! Now that we have that out of the way, allow me to sing the praises of this tabac! The 2 exceptions to the above statement are Gawith's Chocolate flake and the venerable Stonehaven.These I love! This flake truly is in a class by itself. It has a wonderful creamy almost vanilla cookie flavor to it.The aroma is heavenly! Think baked goods right out of the oven. The flavor of this tobaco is so "round" and luscious. Words cannot describe the experience.The only reason I give it 3 stars is the fact it still is a Virginia flake and kills the back of my throat (MY sensitivity ,not the tobacco! Almost as mild as my above mentioned 2 favorites).For Virginia pipers this is a must! For you guys who really appreciate this type of tabac 4 of 4 stars!

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I am proud to make LTF my 100th review. Based on the reviews here, I have wanted to try this flake for a long time, but have been unable to find it in my area. I came upon a jar the other day at the wonderful and friendly Jack's Tobacco in the great city of Milwaukee. I've tried the Stokkebye Navy Flake: very good and the closest thing to Troost Slices in aroma, but too bitey & rambunctious. On the other hand, LTF is THE finest pure VA/Cavendish flake I've ever had. It's cut into beautifully mottled squares, is less overtly aromatic, but develops nicely in the bowl. The taste is affirmatively VA with just the right hints of caramel & warm, toasty woodsiness. I'm getting to the point where I am no longer willing to tolerate tongue bite no matter how great the blend. [Kind of like women: beauty isn't everything & ofttimes it disappoints]. This leaves Dunhill's Light Flake in the dust. It also is void of that typical MacBaren honey topping that can become overused & boring. Rich, creamy, teasing & delicious, LTF is a desert island selection that will most likely be the only VA flake I will smoke from now on. A magnificent accomplishment!

Five of five stars

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)

This is my favorite bulk plain Virginia Flake. This is one of my "regular" tobaccos. Just a plain good tobacco you can enjoy all the time.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)

This may be heresy, but LTF reminds me of 3Nuns. In appearance, for sure, but also in taste, after the initial toasted marshmallow taste has blown off. Perique is not a listed ingredient, but I definitely taste it and my mouth complains about it. OK, in all fairness, all 3Nuns tobacco is now all aged, but LTF strikes me as 3Nuns when they were girls or at least teenagers. There seems to be a background topping; this is a danish tobacco, after all, but it insinuates itself well. Rich and sweet smoke, a tasty VA. I have to use a filter pipe to sort the perique-like issue, but it is definitely worth a try.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I've found Luxury Twist to be one of the tastier VA flakes on the market. It is in the same vein as Rattray's Marlin Flake, being a sweet, rich flake of medium strength. It's a tad sweeter and mellower than Marlin, but lacks some of the Rattray blend's punch and personality. Nevertheless, it's a great tasting high quality flake at a bulk blend price and for that reason I tend to smoke it quite a bit. All in all, a very good offering from the Stokkebye folks in Denmark.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)

Notes: Smoked on numerous occasions in various pipes, I prefer this one in a tall, narrow billiard.

Appearance: A light golden to medium brown thin cut flake, square cut.

Aroma: Wonderfully enticing, tawny aroma to match its color, with the suggestion of fig, grape leaf, date, and faintly of spicy ketchup.

Taste: Delicious straightforward Virginia flavor: sweet, nutty, mellow, and mild. On the mild side in body, with a modest amount of nicotine, it has a mellow nutty flavor that is unassuming and easy to smoke, without the complexity that other Virginia blends, such as Dunhill Flake, present.

Comparisons: Sweeter than Dunhill Light Flake, not as nutty as the Gawith flakes, with a certain distinctive flavor aligning it with Dobie's Four Square and Capstan Medium.

Bottom Line: An easy to smoke, enjoyable Virginia flake. It lacks the vibrancy to make it a permanent resident in my cellar of aging tins, but I enjoy it from time to time in my rotation.

cruelraoul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cruelraoul (24)

This is a very fun flake. The squarish discs are easy to pack, and the smoke has a nicer room note than other blends in the same general category. The VA sweetness comes through very consistently through the bowl, with only a slight chance to bite if overheated. Seems to work best in medium/small bowls for me. Not as strong as I typically prefer but this is a very good alternative that I find myself really enjoying. Very easy on the wallet, too!

This stuff just smells fantastic in the packaging, and the construction is unimpeachable. For those who back away from nicotine strength, but like the Va. blends with a slight casing, this is hard to beat.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Medium Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

(UPDATE: 02/02/2013) I recently revisited this blend when I opened a jar of it that I had sealed up in early 2003. I find the flavor to be much more subdued than my last time with this flake. There is no "butterscotch" or "coconut" flavor, just a very slight sweet toffee-like motif. When in the zone, this is a pleasant smoke one can enjoy anytime without much thought.

(Original review) The blend comes in thick perfectly-cut rectangles that seem to break naturally into 3 seperate but equal squares. Each one of these squares seems to be the perfect size to fill a medium-sized bowl. The appearance is a beautiful golden swirled square that rubs out easily to a fine crumble.

The scent and flavor of the leaf is similar to a butterscotch/coconut combination with a bit of honey yet there is definately natural tobacco taste.

Burn is easy and even. It rarely bites and remains consistent throughout the bowl. This is one of those rare blends that tastes like it smells and even smells the same while burning as it does in the bag.

If you like a flavorful yet natural-tasting tobacco that burns well then this is for you.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is my 2nd trial of a Peter Stockebye tobacco. My 1st was English Opulence--I have never gone back to it. I thought if it as an average English blend. However, Luxury Twist Flake is another story. The more I smoke it the better it gets. Square 2" flakes that I purchased in bulk 4oz for about 8 dollars. One needs to rub it out abit to pack your pipe and then flame hits weed and you are off for an excellent journey of a fabulous virginia burley flake. The flavor is terrific, burns cleanly and needed one relight. Highly recommended. 41/2 stars.

============================================================= update 3/29/05----------I am still smoking Luxury Twist quite a bit and continue to marvel at this wonderful baccy. It smells from the pouch almost like a vanilla/rum/baking bread aroma. However the flavor of the tobacco comes through entirely enjoyably. With only mild hints of the topping. I can smoke this all day long without getting tired of it and I look forward to my evenings at home puffing on this wonderful mixture.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)

I've bought this leaf twice, in 200g portions, and as I finish my last purchase I probably won't be buying any in the near future. Don't get me wrong; it is a very good tobacco, pretty in its cut form, nice aroma and very easy texture for rubbing out and smoking. It's just not hearty enough for my tastes and I wish for a thicker slice of tobacco than the paper thin cut I received. As an all day smoke, I can understand how some may love this blend. Myself, there are other blends I would reach for first.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

Surprise and some disappointment. First off, this blend is supposedly topped with vanilla. IMHO, it should in no way be considered an aromatic, because I truly don't believe that I would have detected Vanilla if I hadn't been looking for it.

Okay, back to the surprise and disappointment. My previous encounter with this blend around four years earlier left me with an impression of a gently sweet, light/medium Virginia with a nice fragrant tone. When I smoked this, I thought maybe I had mislabeled my sample, but I didn't.

There is an edge to this, and definitely some decent nicotine. It comes in a beautifully variegated, supple flake. If there is vanilla here, it comes through only as a background smoothness. But there is some harshness here that counters any such contribution. When allowed to gently escape from your mouth, it stings your eyes and nose. The smoke is very thick.

It may be that I have a particular chemical reaction to the Stokkebye Luxury series tobaccos, because I don't see many people having my reaction, so take this for what it's worth. I really wanted to like this tobacco, but I just can't give it thumbs up.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Tobacconist listen up! Start stocking this!

I had to go all the way to Houston Texas before finding this excellent blend.

This IS Virginia. Good Virginia pressed and sliced into square cut slices. Several birds eyes in the cut as well. It is sweetened only a little. The taste is natural Virginia,Carolina old Belt cream. The sweetness is wonderful,and reminds me of Troost Slices,or how they did tatse,except better. Easy to light,easy to keep lit. Lots of sweet tangy cream Virginia wafting smoke.

Also, the ladies will not run you off while smoking this Virginia.

*My sweet wife says that when I smoke Virginia Tobacco it smells like a nasty old cigarette.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Make no mistake, this is a great tobacco for the aforementioned reasons but my palate prefers PS Luxury Navy Flake. But hey, that?s just me and my palate.

I rate this tobacco 8.3 out of 10.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

I'll keep this short, in deference to the poor reader who has already read so many reviews of this blend. This is a top choice if you're looking for a medium-body Virginia. If not, not.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

This tobacco is one of my favorites, were it not for the slight topping which tends to ?stain? a bowl, it would be a daily or even all day smoke for me. I?ve found that I need to dedicate pipes to this blend for that reason; the flavor is persistent enough that I don?t smoke it in many of my pipes, and thus is not a daily smoke for me. That said, everything about this tobacco is wonderful. Several times a week I devote an hour or so to a bowl in a Mauro Armellini Freehand; absolute bliss ensues I assure you!

Appearance: This is one of the most beautiful tobaccos I?ve ever seen. Twist Flake as the name implies produces an appealing roughly 2 inch square flake (more often than not joined to a second flake by a few strands) of varying hues from nearly white to rich coffee/caramel brown. The twisting of the flake before pressing produces nice tight birdseye which appeals to the senses visually and tactilely as one rubs it out.

Tin aroma: Initially, I smell very ?bright? Virginias, and citrus, followed by deeper caramel and earthy tones. There is the quality of freshly mown hay, and other smells recalling my summers as a youth in dairy country of Upstate New York. There are deeper more ?forest-like? tones as well.

This tobacco is very easy to rub out, I usually rub several flakes partially and several more fully and employ the ?Frank method? using the rougher rubbed for the gravity feed followed by finer rubbed for the ?rolling portion?. So doing, I generally use the better part of 4 flakes to fill a bowl whose dimensions are roughly 7/8 inches x 1 3/4, a smoke which usually lasts just over an hour.

Lighting usually is a single match affair, I find that the ?Frank method? usually eliminates the need for much of a ?lighting tamp?, though once in awhile if I pause or just let the pipe go out, I might have to re-light it. This is a very easy going easy burning tobacco that almost smokes itself if packed correctly. As expected, the initial flavor is very citrus (though not unpleasant) the orange essence quickly giving way to the brightness of high grade Virginia tobaccos. This is a very good ?first bowl of the day? though I often smoke it at night; the bright and lively nature tends to lift my spirits. Very quickly though, I begin to catch some of the coming depth of flavors, this is not a monochromatic blend at all.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the brightness is joined by deepening tones, earthy and full. If exhaled nasally the brightness and orange is still very much there, when inhaled, tones of caramel and figs are present (the best inhaling method being the ?French curve? out of the mouth and gently inhaled side stream through the nose). There is a very mild (natural) sweetness to the blend, a sweetness like molasses or raw honey, which is only ?just there? barely perceptible. This is the kind of smoke which makes me put my feet up and hold the smoke in my mouth letting its buttery silkiness dance around my pallet.

Home Stretch: Every time I approach the end of a bowl the reaction is the same, I marvel at what a masterpiece it truly is. Luxury Twist Flake stands alone in a fine balance of ?pure Virginia tobaccos? and a mild aromatic blend. Strictly speaking, it is an aromatic, though only just barely so. The carefully balanced ?string quartet? of flavors experienced mid-bowl deepens perceptibly rounding out to a satisfying fullness that is never overpowering. All of the starting elements are still there; the orange essence never really ?leaves the scene? but never overpowers the Virginia richness in any way. This often smokes down to very little dottle leaving fine ?salt and pepper? ash.

Supplemental Notes: This is one of a handful of tobaccos I?d take to a desert island. Rating for those interested in numbers **

Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a wonderful tobacco. Very fragile, so handle with care. If you carry it arond much it will rub itself out. I like to just lightly stuff it into a medium size pipe and fire it up. Lights easy and smokes all the way down. No goop or gurgle. I don't find it to be very sweet to the taste. I agree with the hay-orange peel analysis. It is a very light scent however. The only con I had with this flake was a slight "burned" or "tar" undertone in the taste. This one can bite so go slow. Also it takes a minimum of ten minutes to smoke most of a bowl.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very attractive flake. When I first saw this I thought this was going to be very good, I was somewhat let down. The flavor in this flake is very good, however it is a little to bitey for me. I would say this needs some aging and then it would be a grand slam for flake lovers except for the fact that the sample I recieved was over 7 years old ( thanks Hal at The burley and briar pipe shop ). I may experiment more with this one and see what the results are. If I could get the bite factor down a little bit more on this one I would give it a 3 star possibly even a 4 star rating.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Luxury Twist may well be my favorite Peter Stokkybe tobacco to date. I was pleasantly surprised. It was a bit on the moist side, so I dried it a bit before I tried it.

I noticed a topping on this tobacco that reminded me a lot of the topping added to one of my favorites, Escudo. That might be why I like this tobacco so much. The topping didn?t dominate the flavor, but rather I found that it played hide-and-seek with the naturally sweet Virginia leaf flavor.

Twist lit very easily and burned exceptionally well. It can be a bit awkward to load into smaller bowls due to the nature of the cut, but it can easily be torn apart or zapped in a food processor if you prefer small bowls. There was no suggestion of tongue bite, not even a nibble. The room note actually drew a compliment from a co-worker ? and that is saying a lot, this is a tough crowd.

If you are looking for great complexity, don?t look here. Luxury Twist quickly settles in to a delightful flavor that remains throughout the bowl with just the slightest bit of change as the aforementioned topping occasionally asserts itself. In fact, I think I might have been disappointed if it had changed appreciably.

While there is some nicotine present, it won?t clobber you. If you?re looking for a good first experience in the world of Virginias, this should be high on the list of candidates.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

October-2003. Luxury Twist Flake. All good new's here. Very easy to light,highly enjoyable flavour's of both the Virginia and Cavendish.A real smoking pleasure down to the last puff. If you liked P/S Luxury Navy Flake then you'll also love this,without the perique. Good taste,high quality like the more exspensive tobacco's on offer. No tongue bite or bitterness leaving a nice grey-white ash at the bottom of the bowl. Highly recommended. 10 out of 10.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Pouch Aroma: This is a rich, sweet-smelling twist that smells of matured tobacco and a hint of some kind of casing, which I've been told is orange peel. It's very mild and pleasant and smells faintly of honey or a field of wildflowers in summer. Very evocative.

Appearance: This is a twist which has been sliced into very thin flakes. Each piece is about 1.5" x 1" and contains a lot of small stem slices (birdseyes). Colors vary from pale yellow to deep rich brown. This is a nice-looking tobacco which rubs out very easily.

Packing and Lighting: I very lightly rubbed out two flakes - nothing more than lightly crumpling them in my palm, actually - and these filled my Tinsky Custom Rhodesian almost to the rim. The pack is rather loose, but I like to adjust that with my tamper after the bowl is well-lit.

The charring light was slightly uneven (normal when I smoke flakes) but judicious tamping and a second light fixed the whole thing perfectly.

Exposition: The initial smoke was very intense, due to all the well-aged virginias present and the fact that this was my first smoke of the day. It's very perky and bright, waking up my tastebuds without assaulting them, but I can see that this would require slow smoking to avoid a tendency to bite. This blend seems best in my Savinelli Autograph Canadian - but I could probably smoke a poodle in that pipe and it'd taste good.

The Story: Once the pack was adjusted, the burn settled down and my palate fully awakened I settled in for a nice slow smoke. There is very little nicotine in this and a fair amount of body. The sweetness comes across well in the flavor, but the orange flavor is more subdued. The predominant flavor is natural tobacco, light in strength and of medium body. There aren't a lot of subtleties here, just a nice unified one or two note flavor. The room aroma is quite nice and shouldn't offend anyone with even a modicum of tolerance for pipe tobacco.

The sidestream smoke is quite sweet and woody, with a sharp note that would be nice in a bent pipe if I were inclined to smoke them (my Rhodesian is a custom and not even 1/8 bent).

As the bowl burns down toward the halfway mark, it has begun to pick up a little heaviness typical of Virginia flakes. A little musky woodsiness has crept in under the sweetness and added some layers of flavor, reminding me of McClelland's 2015 without the Perique. The sharpness is still there, as is the sense that it would bite my tongue if I'd let it. The burn is even and consistent, and it stays lit quite easily.

Denoument: The flavor and aroma have both remained pretty consistent throughout the entire bowl, only gaining in strength and complexity. Not a hint of sourness or bitterness, and it still smells really good.

The further down it burns, the less I notice the orange casing (which was never overpowering to begin with) and the more natural and full it gets. It burns down to a nice speckled ash and leaves the pipe clean.

Pros: This one's a keeper. It smokes dry and clean, burns evenly and well, and gives me good natural tobacco flavor. If you're a fan of Virginia flakes, try this and tell me it ain't good. I dare ya!

Cons: It does have a tendency to bite, but slow smoking in a wide-bowled pipe seems to help that. There was some moisture present, but my Tinsky has that problem despite the nice layer of cake I've laid in the bottom. I just need to find the right tobacco for it.

Bobbior5907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobbior5907 (24)

Luxury Twist Flake is another high quality, almost opulent blend by Peter Stokkebye. However, Luxury Twist Flake is unusual, if not unique, in that it is twist and a flake. It is also remarkable in that is billed as a "bulk blend". It is better than many tinned blends. While flakes have become easier to find in recent years it the USA (thanks to McClelland, Samuel Gawith, Gawith & Hoggarth, and a few others), twists are still somewhat rare. Here we have exotic Virginia grade tobaccos twisted into a rope, pressed with a lightly sweet aromatic agent, and then sliced into dense squiggly rectangles. It smells to me like the Tinder Box's "Honey Cavendish" when opening the plastic pouch it came in from the retailer. Despite its density and ample humidification, it lights easily, stays lit, and exudes generous amounts of fragrant smoke. However, I find it to be best as the first pipe of the day and a little too light in the afternoon or evening. With the foregoing caveat, I give "Luxury Twist Flake" a grade of "B+".

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Based on the previous reviews, this is a most beloved blend. I have yet to have a good experience with PS blends or Danish VA blends in general. Some have compared it to Mac Baren Dark Twist, but I fail to see the comparison.

Luxury Twist is a beautiful rectangular flake that is lightly topped with something sweet. I can't quite put my finger on the topping, perhaps a natural vanilla.

I tried a sample several years ago, but I ended up giving the rest away to a friend. I thought I might give this another try. It came very moist, so I allowed it to dry some. Perhaps it needs more drying, because I still get a wet smoke even in my best briars. This wetness leads to tongue bite and many relights.

The flavor is sweet with a quality VA as a foundation. This combination produces a round smooth taste that I'm sure many will enjoy. For me, I find it lacking the highs and lows that I enjoy in a good VA. I will continue to try and tame this high quality tobacco. Maybe it needs to dry more or maybe it just needs a little age.

Addendum: I've allowed this to dry until it's almost crunchy. I find it to be a very nice blend and one that I will return to.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)

Very exquisite blend by Stokkebye, that one can sit down and really enjoy anytime of the day or night. The fulness of the flavor presents itself about a quarter of the way through the bowl with a mild hint of an orange aromatic but very subtle which makes it a very enticing tobacco to smoke.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)

Another new purchase. I visited my tobacconist today and left, not only with a pipe I'd had repaired, but a half-pound of this tobacco as well. I couldn't wait to try it (and the pipe) and, I must admit, it made for a very pleasant drive back home.

The pouch/tin aroma is very seductive (but not cloying as is the case with many aromatics) and is reminiscent - in my opinion, at least, of cocoa, deep woods, and a hint of something I can't identify...perhaps citrus and/or vanilla. I folded a couple of flakes into the bowl of the pipe and, after several relights, settled in for a magnificent smoking experience. True, if you're an aggressive puffer at all, this one will barbecue your tongue. However, if you take the time to savor the aroma and flavours present, you will find this a pleasant tobacco indeed...and you won't drown in the sticky sweet aroma inherent in so many aromatics.

JClark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JClark (26)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

It often amazes me just how subjective tobacco tastes can be from one smoker to another. Visually these flakes are absolutely magnificent. The aroma of this tobacco seems a bit buttery to me, but still pleasant, though I do detect a slight casing that other reviewers may disagree with. This tobacco burns very nicely with little bite. My problem with this tobacco it that I continually pick up sort of a burnt caramel taste, which seems to be much stronger than in other pure virginias I have smoked, that just doesn't sit well with me. Others have noted a pure tobacco taste, personally ,I don't taste it. I love pure tobacco flavor, but alas, this one just doesn't do it for me in that area. Perhaps it is the cavendish pressing that causes me not to enjoy this one. I will probably come back to this one some time in the future and see if my tastes change.

Briar Snob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Snob (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This flake is truly exquisite. The pouch aroma is faintly sweet, and defintely not overpowering. The tobacco rubs out easily and lights well. The first few puffs are not especially memorable, however, once lit, the sweetness from the Virginias and cavendish come through to reveal a wonderfully tasty smoke. Though, this tobacco should not be discounted for its sweet attributes as this taste is not offensive and clearly hidden behind the true tobacco flavors.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

One of my regulars VAs. This blend has been twisted, pressed and then sliced into uniform rectangles ~ 1/16" thick with colors from light yellow to dark brown. Easy to keep lit and burns cool if treated with respect and smoked slowly. I just taste outstanding, natural tobaccos that are intense but satisfying and consistent thruout the smoke.