A delicious broken flake featuring the classic pairing of red and bright Virginias, with the addition of a mellow flavored, cool smoking dark Burley, and flavor-brightening Perique.

Notes: This blend is being released on September 17, 2014 at Tom Eltang's house in Denmark. Per Mr. Eltang: For some time now (about the past 15 years or so…) I have been playing with the idea of blending my own tobacco as a natural extension of my craft. Finally this happens - through the help and guidance of Sykes Wilford, Smokingpipes.com and the american Pipe Tobacco Manufacture, Cornell & Diehl tobaccos. Enjoy :-)

BrandTom Eltang
Strength
Taste
JimInks (2038)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

The dark burley is the most noticeable ingredient; earthy and nutty with a hint of molasses, and creates most of the strength, partly because it's the highest percentage of tobacco as well as having some inherent boldness to its character. The red Virginia is tangy dark fruit sweet, and is a minor player along with the citrusy, hay-like bright Virginias. The perique is even more of a minor component, and is as raisiny as it is spicy. You don't always taste it in the smoke. Burns at a slow pace, clean and cool with a few relights, a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Won't bite and has no weak spots. The nic-hit is mild to medium. Has a pleasant after taste. If it's not an all day smoke, it's certainly worth repeating during your smoking day, depending on your personal preference.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (199)

I got a few samples of this blend in recent orders that I placed with SmokingPipes. The pouch note is very reminiscent of Briar Fox, sort of a sour, fermented, fresh mowed lawn and manure kind of smell. The flavor is definitely burley driven. It’s earthy, woody, somewhat bitter and altogether not too spicy or complex. Tom Eltang Mixture is a very enjoyable concoction with a natural tasting flair. Most blends with this much burley gives me a good case of tongue bite, but this one does not. Any bite is tempered nicely by the sweet Virginia's, which add to the richness of the burley flavor without de-emphasizing it. There’s just a hint of perique here. However, its attributes are almost unnoticeable and I personally would prefer just a little more.

High quality tobacco with good burley flavor, no harshness, no bite. What's not to like here?

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Briar

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

During the earlier stages of my tin of Mixture, I found it to be my favorite of the C&D’s Tom Eltang series of blends. But, having the tin in my pipe room for nearly a year, I find myself struggling to finish it. The Burley dominates Mixture and the Perique is barely noticeable. The red Virginia offers a bit of tang and a very small amount of sweetness and easier to notice than the bright Virginia. The flavor is fairly stout and consists mainly of the earthy, somewhat nutty Burley. I have found the Eltang blends to be a bit of a disappointment and while I enjoy Mixture more than the others, there are simply better blends in the genre. I think that it is that “rough” quality to C&D tobaccos that some love and other don’t and I generally am in the “don’t” group. Possibly some age would help to bring out the Virginia's a little more and better balance out the blend. I think that Mixture is better than a two star blend for me personally, but falls short of a three star tobacco and not one that I would buy again.

The Burley is dominant and nutty with just a touch of earth. The Virginias are citrusy sweet with a hint of hay. The Perique is so light that it may as well not be in there. This Burley has a bit of harshness to it that is just on the borderline of what I'm willing to tolerate. Not a terrible blend, but just barely 2 stars.

Medium in body and flavor. Burns well.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple, Mark Twain

Purchased From: tobaccopipes.com

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Another sample from our wonderful friends at smokingpipes.com. In the bag it was somewhat sweet yet slightly musty, little hints of maybe caramel and cocoa. It packs well, lights easily, burns to a nice white ash. The initial taste is a wheat like, nutty taste I'm assuming it is the burley with the Virginias. Then that spicy note comes through. It is nice for a bit, but it overpowers the smoke. It gets a bit sour as it combines with the acidity of the Virginias. I like the coolness of the smoke, but I dislike the spicy sour taste. I really would have liked to see more sweetness from the Virginias. It's not bad but it could have been a bit more smoother and sweeter.

Pipe Used: MM Legend, MM Mizzou

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Free Sample

Flatticus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flatticus (24)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Appearance: Looks almost like straight burley/dark burley mix. Very consistent dark tan to light brown coloring, very consistent breaking of the flakes. Tin Aroma: Very interesting. In fact, very good. Lots of plum from the perique, with some hay and just a tiny bit of cocoa I think I smelled, but with a hint of fermentation putting a kind of slight sour note on it all. Taste: Very pleasant. On a slow smoke and exhale I get light sweet Virginia with a touch of hay and just a hint of natural cocoa flavor from the burley here and there, perique definitely present but not in the forefront except on the retrohale. However, the burley tends to take over the taste a great deal. It’s good burley, but it’s too evident. Smoking: Very little drying time required. When packed light, burns evenly and well without the need to relight. No noticeable bite, and I’m a quick puffer. Thoughts: It’s a pleasant va/bur with, to my taste, too little perique and too much burley. The burley works beautifully to cool the smoke, it’s not a hot smoke, but it came to the forefront too often for me. Not enough to overpower the blend, but enough for me to wish for more Virginia flavor as well. Recommend to: Va/bur lovers, those who like light amounts of perique. Suspect it will improve a great deal with age. Summary: A good blend that will most likely improve with age, and is definitely one to buy 2 tins of and cellar the extra. Could use less burley and more perique in my opinion. Most would probably say more Virginia and less burley. Tin note is excellent.

Pipe Used: Briar, Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Tom Eltang - Mixture.

From my friend Gentleman Zombie, thanks Franck!

It's a well broken flake, just a touch heavier than a straight ribbon blend. There's next to nothing in the way of an aroma: uncased tobacco. The moisture's good but I'm unsure as to how long Franck's had the seal ofF the tin. Either way, it's good to go!

The smoke tastes a lot closer to a straight Burley, than anything else. There's a smattering of Virginia, but I can't taste any Perique. A bowl of Mixture burns well, giving a comfy smoke: cool, no bite, and it's of medium thickness.

The nicotine's medium, and the room-note's pleasant to tolerable.

A nice and simple smoke, thanks Franck, recommended.

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: ???

Purchased From: Traded with Gentleman Z'

littlefield Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
littlefield (16)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is the tobacco I take to the bar at Shangri-la because when I’m smoking in public (see note below) want to focus on enjoying the atmosphere and conversation not babysit a high maintenance tobacco: 1. Easy to pack and stays lit, smokes to the bottom, 2. Relatively slow burner so doesn’t require frequent pipe refilling, 3. medium strength flavor that doesn’t retreat with the drinks but doesn’t challenge them either. The virginias make more of an impression than the burleys, but that may just be my palate/ physiology. In short, a clean no-nonsense smoking medium strength tobacco. (I live in China so still have freedom to smoke in public spaces, sorry to all you living under anti-smoking nanny-fascism forcing you to retreat to the caves and deserts when you want to enjoy a tobacco).

Pipe Used: Savinelli Onda

Age When Smoked: 2 year

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I was given a half ounce sample of this gratis from Smokingpipes.com when it first came out. I knew nothing of the blend when I had my first bowl of it, but it did not take me long to recognize this as something produced by C&D.

A VaBurPer, with the emphasis on the Bur, that has a slight flavoring added to it. It is a familiar recipe amongst the pantheon of C&D blends. I have tried many of these and have generally liked them all, some better than others. To my palette this is one of the better ones. It is burley forward with a lighter touch of perique than say OJK or Haunted Bookshop.

The use of perique is enough to combat any tongue problems though as this is just a nice easy cool smoking blend. It is almost more a high quality codger burley to my tastes than a complicated VaPer variation. I will likely buy more of this one. It didn't blow me away, but it was just a nice pleasant smoke.

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (67)

Typically, I don't go for tobaccos made by Pipe Makers (Peterson being an exception). But this stuff was refreshingly enjoyable (Not too surprising given my C&D preferences).

Hard to tell that there is anything other than Burley in here upon the initial view. Mostly a cardboard brown color in a cut that's very similar to the Burley Flake series.

In my experience this bowl starts a lot like Old Joe Krantz; piquant, rich, even spicy. I got mostly straight unflavored burley with sharp notes of perique. But it subsides after the first several puffs and evens out. From the first 1/4 to the last 1/4 of the bowl are very burley forward while Mr. Perique pops in and out. The VAs build steadily and there are hints of raisins, honey, molasses and sweet sweet red VA. The last 1/4 of the bowl is simply amazing. Sweet, spicy and nutty. I appreciate these changes int he smoke as I don't believe it is pure luck, but rather designed by the blender.

This stuff burns very cool, with little moisture and leaves a nice white ash at the bottom of your pipe. For any fans of Burley/BurVaPers, I highly recommend this.

I felt this was much sweeter than Burley Flake #3 and less intense than Old Joe Krantz. To me it's the smallest brother in that family. Well done C&D!

Pipe Used: Briars, Mortas and Meers

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - 126: Old Joe Krantz, Cornell & Diehl - Burley Flake #3.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (172)
Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Small sample only, so my opinion might not be indicative.

Mid brown ready rubbed flake. There are small amounts of light leaf, and no dark leaf at all, so I (literally) can't see how perique could be part of the mix.

This is a full on VaBur, with Burley very much in the forefront. It is strong and one dimensional. Burns well, produces a lot of smoke, and is rather acrid.

Too strong for an all day smoke and lacking in sufficient complexity or interest for a contemplative smoke. It has no obvious flaws and seems to be made from reasonable quality tobacco and might have a market amongst hipsters looking for something retro in a hairy chested sort of way. I can't get the phrase 'prison tobacco' out of my mind when this is in the bowl.

Would be one star, but it is well enough made and probably does have a market that will love it, that I am giving it two.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

I received a small sample of this from Smokingpipes.com with a recent order. Mostly medium brown in appearance with a mild tobacco smell. No top dressing or casing detected. The broken flake was easy to load and it lit without difficulty, staying lit til the bowl's end. I referenced three other tobaccos this reminded me of as listed under "similar blends." The main difference is that Mixture is not as strong as those three. My first bowl was enjoyable and I noted similarities to the other three while smoking. My second bowl was very Perique forward and off-putting for me. I never really cared for the peppery taste of Perique in my tobacco. It did not bite nor smoke hot. No moisture was produced during the smoke either. If it wasn't for the Perique (at least in the amount used), I would rate this higher. The other leaf used added to a very rich tobacco flavor, but was overshadowed by "Mistress P" I'm afraid. Flavorful like JKP but without harshness. Full tasting like Germain's BF but sweeter. Peppery like Kingfisher. Very competently produced with excellent leaf, and although doubtful that it will become more than an "on the whim" type of smoke for me, I do give it a solid recommendation. There you have it fellow pipers!

Pipe Used: Peterson system bent billiard

Age When Smoked: fresh from bag

Similar Blends: Jack Knife Plug, Germaine's Brown Flake, Germain's Kingfisher.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (82)

I got this as a half ounce sample from smokingpipes.com when I got 2 tins of S.G. St. James Flake. I'll admit, I thought it was an English bc it is called mixture. I looked it up within smokingpipes after I chose it for my sample. I love Va/pers so it work out well for me. I decided to tear into this one before I got into the St. James Flake, and I'm happy I did so.

In the little baggy I recieved is a well broken flake, easy to pack and mostly brown and yellow in color. Some that has broken off has allowed for some wider cut ribbon to be present. I see some bits of darker leaf, probably the perique. The note in the bag is mostly Va, and the perique is not ketchupy but more of a hint of raisin.

I went with a looser pack with a bit rubbed out on top for kindling the first time on basis of personal logic, and it worked quite well. Fresh as it was, the flake bit opened up and filled the pipe nicely. On the charr, it gave me a nice taste of black pepper, and not the normal sourness I get from fresh c&d perique blends. The burley seems to be balancing out the perique a bit.

It burns nice and cool in the cob I'm using, and has little bite to it. I'm guessing the mixture is not as high in sugar as some others of this nature. It has an excellent balance between the different tobaccos used in my opinion. It reminds me a lot of exhausted rooster, except maybe it's a. It more balanced. It seems to be less perique forward, and have a bit sweeter of a taste to it. It takes a few delights for me to through the bowl, but I'm normally typing or reading when I smoke so it may just be me. The flavor remains pretty constant throughout the smoke, and the flavor only picks up a bit towards the last quarter. Not a huge dose of nicotine for my tolerance either, so it could be an all day smoke for some.

All in all, I would say well done. Tom eltang is very new to the tobacco world as a blender and choosing c&d to handle their business was a good idea. For an initial offering of Va/per it shows remarkable promise. It may be worth cellaring some of this for aging to see how it does. This would be great for beginners or most Va/per smokers as it is very easy to smoke and is very tasty in general. I will most likely buy more of this both for now and some to tuck away for a year or so.

Pipe Used: MM diplomat

Similar Blends: C&d Exhausted rooster, petersons Irish oak..

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (108)

About six weeks ago I purchased a box of pipe tobaccos from a seller in Chicago. He informed me that I would find that five or six would be opened and sampled. One of those tins was Tom Eltang Mixture. Half full and somewhat drier than when new, it was still smokeable and I filled a medium apple and lit up. The mixture smoked softer than other VaPerBurs I have smoked and it had a noticeable top note that I could not identify. The top third of the bowl was enjoyable in a top of the bell-shaped curve type of way. The middle third was somewhat more toned down and the bottom third was unremarkable. Just as I was contemplating a two-star review, I spied a bowl-sized pile of my English blend du jour off to my left. I divided it in half and mixed one half with an equal amount of TEM and-pow! Now, this was more like it and the two mixtures danced and sang right through the bowl. This caused an elevation to three stars right away. However, I share a characteristic with reviewer Pipestud. We both like for our pipe blends to slap us around a bit and Tom Eltang Mixture is more akin to your aunt Zelda patting you on the cheek and saying "What a nice boy".

Pipe Used: Northern Briars apple (2016 NASPC pipe)

Age When Smoked: 3 years old

Purchased From: another smoker

Similar Blends: I've never smoked a blend quite like TEM. I agree with other reviewers that if you tone down your favorite VaPerBur and add a top note, then you have TEM..

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (294)

Wow I really enjoyed my tin of TE Mixture. It reminded me of Haunted Bookshop but with the strength taken down two notches and less harsh. I totally agree with the lawn / manure tin note (in a good way). The Perique is just below spicy and is at the level I prefer as it adds a plummy taste throughout the bowl until the end where it picks up strength but never overwhelms. The broken flake presentation allowed the blend to be stuffed and smoked cool or rubbed out to a thin shag, also I think pressing these blends before they are broken adds artificial ageing which since C&D tobacco's sometimes have a Green taste eliminates this. I will be trying the other blends in this series!

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (53)
Medium to Strong Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Free sample and first vabur blend . Pouch aroma hay. Charring was easy and I got a fat whiff of spice from the. Perique for the first tokes of smoke. Soon after a nutty smoke from burley and tang from the Virginia s play ball through out the bowl as the spice from the perique falls in the background. Nice broken flakes and ribbon burn to ash . My sinus is pretty much clear. I did get a little sour note but not much. The burley is real nice All I have to say to this blend is wow. Need to get more and cellar it

Pipe Used: grabow duke

Age When Smoked: month

Purchased From: free sample from smokingpipes.com

crrbassman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crrbassman (12)

This one didn't do it for me.

I received this in a sample bag with an order from smokingpipes.com and decided to give it a try. I smoked a full bowl and a few days later decided to give it another try. About halfway down my second bowl I emptied it and decided not to spend anymore time on it. It has (at least to my taster) a stale, musty taste that is very off-putting to me. Sours as you progress down the bowl. Just wasn't my cup-of-tea.

Others might enjoy it but not this guy.

Age When Smoked: Right out of the bag

Purchased From: Sample from smokingpipes.com

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (76)

I too received a free sample from SmokingPipes. I usually smoke aromatics and milder mixtures. However I enjoyed this slightly stronger mixture from Tom Eltang. Nice earthy tobacco tastes without the campfire smell of Latakia. Smooth smoke and left a sweet taste in my mouth. No tongue bite, throat burn - just a nice tobaccoey smoke. Clean white ash, no dottle or wetness. A little too strong for me although I did enjoy it and might order some some more. I also tried Eltang's English, which I enjoyed even more.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (116)

This is a .5 oz sample given by smokingpipes.com. I have to say it was rather enjoyable. The VA's are sweet but not overly so. I get some citrus and hay notes here and there. The burley is there too adding some earthy, nutty notes here and there maybe a hint of cocoa which I find in burley that is of good quality. The Perique is peppery but I get no note of plum or dried fruit which seems odd. The pepper is very present especially on the retro-hale. I also get notes of coffee and a slight but ever so slight bitterness too (again much like coffee). Overall, the base notes seem much like Night Train with less perique and no (thankfully IMO) cavendish. I cannot help but wonder if the tobaccos used are not similar but in different quantity and no cavendish. This is a very good blend and one that started to grow on me. I would love it see it in bulk. It is sure to be someones favorite.

Age When Smoked: ROTT