Medium strength flake Tobacco . Blended from the finest Virginia and Burleys .

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
Strength
Taste
JimInks (2042)

The Virginias are grassy with some earth and a bare hint of spice; citrusy with a little dark fruit, and slightly floral, but no Lakeland. The burleys are toasty, nutty, and very mildly sweet in a supporting role, nicely contrasting with the sweet Virginias. Won’t bite or get harsh. The nic-hit is a little closer to medium than it is to mild. Burns cool, clean and slow, requiring some relights, with a moderately smooth, consistent flavor. No cigarette or dull notes no matter how fast you puff. May leave a little moisture in the bowl, but no dottle. Has a pleasant after taste. Not an all day smoke.

Gawith Hoggarth Best Brown Unscented. Right from the beginning I can see that this is going to be a straight forward smoke. The flakes themselves are your typical run of the mill in their build, it has a decent moisture amount and the quintessentially standard Va-bur aroma. The moistness allows for simplicity igniting it, I like to rub my flake to a finer consistency, this usually makes them easier to light up, o.k they do burn warmer than if folded but I tend to sip my flakes gentler as to saver the taste. The smoke from Brown Unscented is very much "no-nonsense" in taste: a very fair Virginia Burley split with no underlying characteristics, only the named tobaccos are conspicuous. The burn is pretty even, it only requires a re-light if I allow myself to digress from the pipe and talk too much! Nicotine is quite discernible, more so if inhaled, not especially strong but if you enjoy "N" this would be a good choice. Another "middle ground" point is the room-note: not heavy, not light but the archetypal Va-bur one. This would make a great regular smoke: it's not too flashy, not too boring, not too hard to prepare but a very stereotypical Va-bur flake.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dracula 999

Purchased From: Smoke King

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (84)

I have been guilty lately of demanding "more" from my tobacco. More condimental leaf, more flavour, more nicotine, just...more. So I've been making a conscious effort to bring back the pleasure I always found in...less.

Best brown u/s is simple tobacco. If I hadn't read the description, I would've thought it a pure virginia flake. Which accounts for the good, but not intrusive, sweetness. Burley must be the reason for lack of bite.

I've smoking this absent-mindedly, while doing chores: very enjoyable. But when I can sit and slowly sip at the smoke; well, it rewards the effort.

I try to be conservative when it comes to rating a blend as highly recommended; it should be reserved for something that's an exemplar of its type. I think Brown Flake deserves that recognition.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the shop

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Best Brown Flake, Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Bright CR Flake.

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (70)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

After rubbing out steadily,and drying,not so much,becomes a solid,fragant and powerful smoke.Icould describe it like a rainy day in the almost desertical corner of Europe where I dwell,that is monotonous perhaps but wonderful.Burley make a trustable companion soothing the harshness of Va but not killing the flavour.I like it between Latakias and Periques,fine triunvirate,IMHO of course.If we look for a flaw,it´s a little hot burning,nothing is perfect.Not for high&narrow bowls.

Pipe Used: medium size