A traditional blend of Golden Virginia tobaccos blended with Black Cavendish. Handspun tobacco wrapped by whole tobacco leaves aged in spuncakes.

Notes: Discontinued. Production ended circa 2006 and was replaced with Luxury Bullseye Flake.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
ContentsVirginia, Black Cavendish
CutCurly Cut
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)

Very similar to Mac Baren's DARK TWIST (cf my review.) Pleasant, but too light for me.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

During a recent conversation with a friend, I was reminded of this blend and how bland and boring I thought it was. Not to mention rather bitey. This was the tobacco that was the tipping point for me discontinuing the purchasing of Stokkebye blends. Rating it two stars is perhaps a bit generous on my part, but there have been worse products on the market. I considered this to be an idea that failed. It does seem that this company's quality control has improved from the time I stopped buying their products, so I'll be looking at their offerings with a new perspective. I'll get around to trying the LBF that replaced it and see what I think of that blend. In the meantime, this is no longer made and I doubt it's missed by many smokers.

Based on a 4 bowl sample. Mine came pretty well rubbed out. Bag aroma was non-descript virginia. As for taste, in a blind test I would have guessed this was a Mac Baren blend. Plenty of tongue sizzle unless I puffed much slower than most blends demand. Kind of a sugared honey flavor under the lemon virginia. I found this one devoid of much character and I can certainly understand why it was discontinued. I don't find Luxury Bullseye Flake to be a world beater, either, but it was definitely preferable to this.

I rehydated a bowls-worth and it didn't sizzle as much but the flavor kind of went south, and there wasn't enough to begin with. Very slow sipping where the bowl threatens to extinguish made this an ok blend for me, but it simply wasn't flavorful enough for me to mourn its passing. I have a lot of respect for Stokkebye blends, but this one just didn't work for me. But this is certainly not a bad tobacco and if you can score some, by all means jump on it. You may find it more to your taste than I did.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I recently discovered one of my local b&m's still has a ton of this. I had never heard of it but, being a Stokkebye fan, had to try it out. It was a bit dry but rehydrated quite nicely. After putting some moisture back into the coins I placed into a mason jar and let it sit up for about 6 months. Let me tell you, I love this stuff!

This is a dark Virginia curly cut with sweet Cavendish in the middle, sweet, tasty and mild, this Virginia is indeed very good with natural taste and flavor, the sweetness of the black Cavendish is somehow similar to Marlin Flake, this Virginia is just enough mild to please me, and ?mild? means good for me, however I did not find it that mild.

Good Virginia with good price. nothing exceptional

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Cellared on April 21, 2004. Sadly discontinued.

Nicely blended Danish Curly. The cavendish takes center stage throughout the smoke and the Virginia is very mild, but its bright qualities balance the sweetness of the black cavendish.

Great morning smoke, but won't stand up for all day smoke if you like to mix it up a bit. Perfect for early am outdoor chores in summer.

If you can find some, buy it if you're a fan of very mild Danish blends.

Past Master Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Past Master (17)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Luxury Curly Cut is a fairly traditional, aged blend of Virginias and Black Cavendish. Although it presents a pretty mild smoke, it is often just what I want. On a warm summer night, when I don't want anything too heavy, this is a nice clean light smoke with just the right amount of flavor.

If I were pairing this with an after-dinner Scotch whisky, I'd choose something equally light - a lowland malt like Auchentoshan.

To date, seventeen reviewers are about evenly split between 4-, 3- and 2-stars, for an average score of 2.71 stars. Those giving it two stars all seem to complain that it is too mild. Too mild for what?, I'd ask. Too mild for when you want something heavier? Well, alright. Sometimes I DO want something stronger. But at other times, mild is just what I'm looking for.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I believe this blend may have been discontinued by PS (not sure), but if you can find it and want a very, very mild VA smoke I would recommend purchasing some. The Cavendish gives it a very subtle vanilla flavor that I like. VERY little nicotine BTW. Also, the flavor, burning quality and slight tendency to bite can be improved by apply DGT (Delayed Gratification Technique).

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (110)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Visually appealing, this is a nice natural tobacco. It is very mild, but what little taste it has is enjoyable. However, it bites somewhat. Its cousin, Luxury Bullseye Flake, is rounder, a touch sweeter, and smokes cooler; I much prefer LBF.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I purchased LCC based on the reviews herein. I am in full agreement with Tantric's excellent assessment except that I find among Stokkebye?s blends, there are others that I enjoy more.

I'm going to miss this fine tobacco that has been discontinued. Fortunately, Stokkebye has added Luxury Bullseye Flake, a very similar blend that it is bit more tasty and perhaps somewhat easier to pack.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

Really very mild; not what I would call tasteless and flat, but very mild. The burning characteristics are excellent, lighting and staying lit with no problem. If you're looking for something as an all day smoke that won't leave a lingering taste on your tongue, this is definitely the thing. However, those wishing for a somewhat more flavorful smoke may find it lacking.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (69)

This is a pleasant, light VA with, I could swear, the slightest hint of latakia. I could be totally mistaken or it could be the cake of the pipe I'm smoking.

It's a great morning blend that goes great with coffee.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

In short, LCC is too mild for my tastes.

I rate this tobacco 6.0 out of 10.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I had just about given up on Peter Stokkebye tobacs after endless trials of various types on semi and full blown Aromatics. I think "Cube Cut" was the first mixture from P.S. that I really liked.(It is fairly hard to light) I then tried "Lux. Twist Flake" which is exceptional but a bit strong for frequent use. This "Lux. Curly Cut" really fills my desire for a non-biting Virginnia blend that has a fuller taste than straight Virginnia. The burn qualities of this curly cut tobac are better than a straight flake type and lasts almost as long. Mild enough to smoke early in the day and still rich enough to be satisfying. I don't think this product description includes Perique as a component. My taste buds say there is or some combination that emulates Periques' spicy-peppery effect. A very good alternative to flake-type tobacs.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

This is another nice tobacco from PS. It is very easy to smoke. It lights and burns easily-smokes cool, and dry. The flavor is natural and very light with a mild sweetness to it. Even when provoked, I could not get it to bite! There is no bad aftertaste at all. It is a somewhat one dimensional smoke. A definite all-dayer if you want a light, cool, naturally sweet smoke. I find myself wanting more flavor and complexity most of the time but this is a very good tobacco.

Bobbior5907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobbior5907 (24)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As with all Stokkebye tobaccos, this one is a high quality blend. "Luxury Curly Cut" consists of straight and cavendish pressed Virginias twisted into ropes and then sliced into coin-sized disks. It seems to be all natural tobacco with no discernable casing or other aromatic agent, though, once flame is put to it, the aroma is light and pleasant. And "light" is, in my opinion, the key word with this and some other Stokkebye blends. To be sure, "Luxury Curly Cut" is a light, mild, pleasant and enjoyable, but lacks a certain depth of flavor or "body". It is thick like a flake, adequately humidified, smells appetizing in the pouch and yet burns remarkably well with a minimum of the relighting and frustration sometimes associated with flakes and curlies. However, I've found that frequently the difficulty in lighting and keeping tobacco lit is actually a function of a pipe's draw or lack thereof. When dealing with dense tobaccos such as flakes and curlies it is mandatory to use a pipe with generous draw otherwise you will doomed to the aforementioned relighting and frustration. Anyway, "Luxury Curly Cut" is an excellent blend for the first pipe in the morning but doesn't hold up later in the day after one's taste buds have been influenced by those blends that may have preceded it. It is too light and mild for an afternoon or evening pipeful and comes off as being bland when smoked at those times. I give "Luxury Curly Cut" a grade of "B".

Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

A fellow member of http://www.tobaccoreviews.com recently sent me a large sample of this Stokkebye Curly Cut and I have now smoked several bowls.

Reader's Digest condensed version: this tobacco rubbed out easily. It packed easily. It stayed lit easily. It was very mild and semi-sweet. It had little nicotine kick. It did not bite. It is too mild for me.

Dizzy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dizzy (13)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

This starts out tangy, spicy, and sweet but usually ends flat if smoked in a large bowl; it seems more consistent in a group 3-4 pipe. Like the other PS Luxury blends, it is made from quality leaf and is a fairly straight forward smoke that lends complexity if given careful attention but is perfectly good without time set aside for rumination.

Packing: Easy--just thumb some into your pipe and smoke it. It's denser than ribbon cut, so don't press it too hard.

Burn: Fairly even burn from charring light to finish; minimal relights. Dry, fine, gray ash remains.

Aging Potential: Good. Character of the tobacco does not change dramatically, but a year does give it a bit of depth it doesn't have when fresh.

Overall: B+ PS Luxury Navy Flake is a superior blend, but this curly cut deserves a try. (In my opinion, the Navy Flake is one of the best tobaccos out there, so the comparison may be loaded.) Well worth the price.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)

Upon opening this, my first thought was "This stuff even LOOKS tasty". Scattered throughout the mass of loose curly fragments were small nickel and quarter-sized coins which packed easily and neatly into one of three pipes that I dedicate to Virginias. It lit easily and smouldered (without relights), providing me with a sweet, slightly peppery experience. Thankfully, though, there is no perique present...just good quality, snappy Virginias which, despite the spiciness, do not bite the tongue. Room note is warm, rich, and thick; I credit the cavendish with this somewhat.

I've long been a fan of "Luxury Twist Flake" and now I have yet another favourite from Peter Stokkebye. I highly recommend this.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I have been smoking Peter Stokkebye's tobaccos for quite some time now, but I had to give this one a try and I'm glad I did.

When I first looked into the tobacco jar of bulk tobacco I noticed the quarter size disc's and the aroma of a good Virginia tobacco. The discs with dangling curley cuts all about that one had to rubbed out before packing into the pipe.

When I first lit up I detected a slight taste of sweetness that seemed to linger on throughout the entire bowl of tobacco. The tobacco was not hard to keep lit and required very little tamping.

I detected no tongue bite or harshness, only the mildness which made for very enjoyable smoke that one could smoke all day if they so wished.

If you never tried a Virginia with a Danish touch and wanted to give one a try I would suggest there is none better than this blend by Stokkebye.

This one will remain on my Favorite Tobaccos to Smoke.

Depending on your source, this blend is often available in bulk but in vacuum sealed 1# packaging from the PS factory which permits easy cellaring and provides consistent moisture content. As with other curly cuts, some of the disks, that are about the size of a quarter, unraveled into long strands of ribbon. They are predominantly dark brown with some golden evident thruout from the spinning process. This blend is easy to pack, light and keep lit and even without any rubout, burns very uniformly. The room note is also less offensive to family and friends than many other straight VAs or VA/Perique blends. The taste is all natural and just high quality VA but still quite flavorful and enjoyable. Although there is not much variation in taste within a bowl and some might consider this boring, this blend and PS Twist Flake are in my normal rotation as all day smokes. If you enjoy straight VAs that are on the mild side, give this one a try.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have quickly developed a strong liking to Stokkebye?s tobaccos, at least to the non-scented ones. While they are not something out of the ordinary, the tobacco grades used, and Stokkebye?s pressing/processing techniques, produce very mild yet flavoursome blends, naturally tasting?with that toasty flavour another reviewer referred to, and which I particularly appreciate?and with a very pleasant and unobtrusive room aroma.

Luxury Curly Cut is an excellent natural smoke. There si no other element but straight Virginias: no Perique, no Burley, just a plain, rich tasting Virginia leaf(Southeast Usa and Zimbabwe), very similar to Navy Flake, perhaps a little bit darker in colour, and very tasty. It packs easily (some of it comes in small coin like disks, and some of it comes in long ribbon strands), and has a wonderful burning rate. As with all Virginias, slow puffing is advised. Though I personally did not suffer any tongue bite from Curly Cut, it did get slightly astringent after the mid bowl mark, and tended to taste slightly sour. Then again, it?s a straight Va, isn?t it? By the end of the bowl I perceived some flavours that hit the lower taste range: toasty, dark, almost peppery undertones that mingled beautifully with theprevious inconspicuous sourness, providing a delightful tang.

Different from the Dunhill/Rattray/Gawith Vas? range, this tobacco is as good as McClelland?s Bulk 5100-Red Cake (in fact, IMO it is even better); it is also sold in bulk form, but with the advantage of not having any of that BBQ-acidic-vinegary smell. I highly recommend it as a good Va. that can easily be included in every rotation.