Sutliff's Pumpkin Spice is a mellow blend of burley, Virginia and black cavendish that's imbued with the flavors of pumpkin and the spices that usually accompany it. This is a comforting, warm blend that can be enjoyed all day long.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
FlavoringCinnamon, Other / Misc, Spices
Strength
Taste

2.7

Pumpkin is the star topping, and the various spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and all-spice) contribute in an important secondary role. The tobaccos underscore the toppings, though you’ll notice them just a little more after the halfway point. I got bare hints of vanilla from the black cavendish, honey and toast from the gold cavendish, and very slight hay, citrus Virginia notes. The nutty, molasses sweet burley is also sublimated, but stands out just a little more than the other tobaccos. A hint of vanilla is also in the topping. Won't bite, or get harsh, and is light on the nicotine. Burns at a moderate pace, cool, clean and creamy smooth with a consistent flavor, though it may benefit from a slight dry time. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, but no goop. Needs an average number of relights. Not quite an all day smoke, but one that's repeatable.

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Pumpkin Spice.

Pumpkin isn't all too common a food here in the UK, it only really appears at Halloween, where it gets the 'carved into a scary face' treatment. So, with that said, I have very little experience with how pumpkins' taste, but I fancied having a smoke of this anyway.

The mixture's rather coarse, especially the pieces of black Cavendish. There appears to be a greater amount of Virginia and Burley, in comparison. Straight from a fresh pouch it's too moist, mine needed quite a good airing. P.S. lights up relatively easily, and gives a flavour that's a bit tough for me to quantify: it's about the most savoury tasting aromatic I've piped. At first, the pumpkin seems a little fruity, and very vegetable-like. As others point out, there's a notable nutmeg topping, more-so at the beginning of a bowl. To my palate the Burley offers the most flavour out of the three tobaccos'; there's only a tiny proportion of vanilla cream from the black Cavendish, and next to nothing from the Virginia. This is a strange one: at the start of my first bowl I was sure the pumpkin seemed a little fruity, but after a few bowls I think it's like smoking a marrow/zucchini!

The nicotine's mild, and the room-note's a touch unpleasant.

I'm not exactly a fan of this one, but, I'll give it a 'somewhat recommended' instead of a 'not recommended' because of its inimitable quality.

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Christmas 2016 #03

Age When Smoked: Two weeks

Purchased From: 4noggins

pacman357 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pacman357 (15)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I guess I'm in between the first two reviewers a bit. I enjoy the smoke a great deal, and I will be getting some to sell at the store my wife & I own. Still, this reminds me overall of somewhere in between a pumpkin soup, with some acidity, and pumpkin pie filling sweetness balancing about 60-40 (60% acidic taste/feel gets to the halfish balance that works so well in this blend. Neither outfavors the other, and the sour element leaves a relatively short, albeit pleasant, finish. The spice are present, but they are singing backup to the lead Pumpkn's nice balance. I detect flavors of nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon. Perhaps the slightest hint of clove. While I was aware of the black cav, it appears to be such a small percentage that, at the rate I smoke, I didn't pick up any vanilla. Should taste great on a cool Fall day. I can see it now... heater in my garage blasting, watching football from an ol' beatup recliner.

Pipe Used: old mystery make meer...that is perfect

Age When Smoked: 50

Purchased From: SmokingPipes, of course.

Similar Blends: Actually, my own Chai Tea blend, which surprises me. I worked a long time to meld all of those spices, sweetness, acidity from tea, etc., Sutliff goes and gets Pumpkin Spice right the first time out. Of course when you are mixing baccy by the tons, in machines, with precisely measured amounts, it may tend to be easier, but nicely done. In fact, I'd give this 3.5 if I could. I'd prefer a little more spice in the blend, but this should have a great, wide appeal to a lot of folks, from every pipe experience level. I wondering one thing...did Sutlfiff add a dash of Perique to enhance the flavor, and to slight increase to acidity? May have just come off of some of the leaf, depending on specific species of each employed..

pylorns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pylorns (14)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

If you are familiar with wines that have higher acidic to them or more sugar can sometimes be called "dry' I'd say I get the same feeling when smoking this. You get this feeling when you rub your tongue to the roof of your mouth and its kinda gravely is the best description. No tongue bite, and the after taste in the mouth is slightly nutmeg and a hint of pumpkin. Retro-haling gives you the full flavor of this, which I have to say is on the fainter side, but enough to be enjoyable.

I would say this is the best pumpkin type blend I have tried thus far and it is well done.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 172

Purchased From: PipesandCigars

the_dalai_lama_himself Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_dalai_lama_himself (43)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Was gifted an ounce or so of this. Extremely soapy and not enjoyable in the least. Tried multiple bowls and drying. Tasted like a bar of soap from childhood (thanks mom), along with some bad hookah tobacco.

Pipe Used: Multiple cobs

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (57)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

No nicotine. A slight bite, but I am a heavy puffer. Pretty good about staying lit. I didn't taste pumpkin or cinnamon. Did taste allspice, or nutmeg, or clove. Or all three. I liked it and might buy it again. Pleasant when exhaled through the snork. Bystander approved.

Pipe Used: MM cob w filter, Hanseatic natural freehand

Age When Smoked: Six months

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Hearth and Home Egg Nog.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (302)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Ah September. You know summer is over when the temp drops below 105* here in Las Vegas and when you start to see the four star aromatic reviews. Something about the colder air and change of season hypnotize us pipers into either a bowl of essentially pure Latakia or an over the top aromatic concotion. Well i fell into the latter camp ordering a few ounces of Sutliff's Pumpkin Spice which is actually quite nice. Burley, Virginia and black Cavendish with a topping that to me tastes like Pumpkin Pie. A lighter aromatic that will not goop up the pipe and will please bystanders to no end.

There is an old urban legend that states if you look into a mirror and say "Pumpkin Soy Latte" three times, a white valley girl in yoga pants will appear behind you and proceed to tell you everything she loves about Fall/Autumn....

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (65)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I was skeptical, but wanted to give a pumpkin spice a go for the heck of it.

It came at a pretty decent moisture level. If you pack the bowl and leave it for five minutes it's perfect.

Takes a light nicely. It burns evenly and I'll say it stays burning pretty cool. It isn't goopy at all.

The initial flavor off the lighting is pretty strong on the pumpkin spice, as with most aromatics. After a few puffs it mellows out. The nuttiness of the Burley and sweet fig like flavors of the Virginia come forward from time to time. The casing comes through as a nice pace. I've mostly gotten a pumpkin cheesecake taste. It's not overly sweet.

The room note is nice. I've been complimented on it a few times already.

If you're a fan of aromatics and are looking for a nice fall seasonal blend give this one a go.

Pipe Used: Peterson System Standard 314

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

HeavyMetalPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HeavyMetalPiper (34)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The smell is like a spicy autumnal aroma. Pumpkin, spices, vanilla are all very strong in the tin note.

The burley has a characteristic nutty taste. As usual the smell is stronger than the taste, but it is there. The taste is just interesting enough to keep your attention, but not so much that it's overly complex.

You can view my video review of this blend here:

YouTube Video

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Bent Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: 11 Weeks

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Randy Tuggle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Randy Tuggle (19)

Easily one of my favorite aromatics that I keep on hand for harvest time. This one can be a tad moist but I go right at it take my time using light puffs in order to really enjoy the flavors. If you like C&D Mixture Monster, you should really give this one a try as it has become my #1 Autumn tobacco choice. It holds flavor throughout the pipe and burns well through to the finish. I cellar it in a small Mason jar and it stores well, unlike some aromatics.

Pipe Used: MM Devil Cutty, various cobs and briars

Age When Smoked: fresh - bulk purchase

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (32)

I hate it that you have to write something rather than just adding the ratings from the drop down menu. It's very good tobacco I hate it that you have to write something rather than just adding the ratings from the drop down menu. It's very good tobacco

Jesperff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jesperff (4)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my first strays into the world of aromatics. My usual smokes are virginias like Orlik Golden Sliced and McClelland 5100.

I bought this out of curiosity since I had never heard about a pumpkin flavoured tobacco. And what a pleasant surprise it was. I had expected something gooey with artificial flavour and the first look kinda confirmed this; a rather wet ribbon cut tobacco with a (to me) strong aroma of pumpkin and cinnamon. Certainly not like my usual straight virginias but not unpleasant.

Packing was easy and the tobacco lit and stayed lit with only a few relights.

The first puffs have a strong flavour of pumpkin and cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg. After a few minutes the flavour fades a little but is still rather constant throughout the bowl. One can taste tobacco together with the flavouring. To me the virginia was more obvious than the burley, possibly because the flavouring is somewhat tangy and thus reminds me of my usual virginias.

The taste intensifies a bit near the end but is very monochromatic all the way through the smoke. Nicotine is low, it doesn't really satisfy me but a pleasant experience nonetheless.

The bowl was a bit moist after the smoke but a lot drier than expected. Other reviews say that it is best suited for colder weather. I don't know about that but it's late December here in Denmark right now and certainly not warm

I can see it being an all day smoke for some; for me it will be an occasional but pleasant experience. Two and a half star which I generously round up to three since it is the first aromatic I really liked.

Pipe Used: Smaller Briar and cob. Didn't try a meerschaum

Purchased From: Internet

Normally, this type of aromatic blend bites me, so no matter how softly I puff it and no matter how much I might like the flavor, it just isn't for me. Packing this somewhat moist blend reminded me of those long-ago years of smoking Captain Black.

Despite the above, this is a very pleasant aromatic blend. Unlike many items called 'pumpkin spice,' the main flavor is actually pumpkin, rather than the spice -- just enough to let you know it's there. If you're looking for an aromatic where the flavors are underlying the tobacco, this isn't one you would probably like. The first half of the bowl is pumpkin (think a slightly-spiced pumpkin cookie), the second half less pumpkin with slightly more spice and the pleasant-enough tobacco base.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

Age When Smoked: soon after arrival

Purchased From: Mars

BryGuySC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BryGuySC (26)

Another step in my journey to find a tobacco I enjoy to smoke and my wife enjoys to smell. She loves pumpkin spice stuff, so I figured I’d give this a shot. First, I’ll say, right up front, this wasn’t amazing. Just middle of the road. With that, I’ll let you know what I noticed. I will say I did pick up nice pumpkin spice flavors throughout the first half of the smoke; both in my mouth and in the room. The cavendish came through with a dark sweetness. Other than these few notes, I didn’t pick up much. The majority of the smoke was just there; which I suppose would be a bonus, if you are sitting out back talking to your wife and not trying to contemplate the subtleties of the burning weed in your bowl. For me, this is mediocre. It is just there, with a little pumpkin spice on top.

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Sutliff pumpkin spice... Really was bland and I was disappointed with this blend. The scent of the bag was cinnamon nutmeg, but the smoke was just no real distinguished flavor. The beginning of the smoke had a spicey note but was not a good strong spice. This tobacco just falls way to short of the hopes of having a good pumpkin pie blend for those mild autumn evenings. So for that it gets my lowest rating ever. Probably a 2 star but since it stunk so bad for pumpkin blend it gets a 1 star.

Pipe Used: Sharrow Bull dog