Quality black Cavendish and light Virginia leaf are combined in a rough cut here, then given a strong dose of Sambuca liquor.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
pipe-junky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe-junky (10)
Very Mild Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I was pleasantly surprised with a sample of this delicious blend. Ever since i was a kid i've always loved black licorice. Well this blend is full of it. Nice and mild with no bite, with a full taste of anisette which stays on the palate after you finish puffing. Wife friendly! I had just enough 1792 flake to make a tall meerschaum bowlful and i kept capping it off with some of this sambuca every time i did an ash dump and it really did a nice job of flavoring the already delicious flake .Next up was straight up bowl of the sambuca in my falcon. Very satisfying .

Pipe Used: meerschaum, falcon

Purchased From: pipes&cigars

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (37)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

If you are one of those people who picks out all the black jellybeans out of the mix, you will love this blend. Quality tobacco with a flavorful topping. Like all of Peter Stokkebye tobaccos I have smoked it is great quality at a great price point. I guess that is why his line has been sold as house tobacco at som many shops for a great number of years. Pack well in the pipe and smokes cool and flavorful. It says Anise and that ain't no lie! One thing though you may want to dedicate a cob to this one cause it will leave you with the ghost of jelly beans past.

Pipe Used: MM Patriot

Age When Smoked: new bulk

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (37)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

As soon as I received my latest order from Pipes & Cigars and opened the box, I could smell the PS Sambuca tobacco. So, being someone who loves licorice, I couldn't wait to try it.

Well, having now smoked about half a dozen bowls in different pipes, I must say I am rather disappointed. PS Sambuca does have a licorice flavor when lit but the taste is not nearly as intense as the aroma and, once the pipe is lit, dissipates rather quickly. What one is left with is a rather mild tasting tobacco that reminds me a lot of Captain Black White, which I used to smoke on occasion 15-20 years ago.

Oh well, PS Sambuca is so inexpensive that I don't regret my purchase and I'm sure I will eventually use up the half a pound that I bought, but I'll keep looking for a tobacco that satisfies my licorice craving.

Pipe Used: Barling African Meerschaum, cob, various briars

Age When Smoked: Recently purchased

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Captain Black White.

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (54)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Good smoke, nice flavor - the licorice really comes out. Nice tobacco blend, burns well. BUT - the room note was not a wife pleaser. Sorry, I won't be smoking this one again!

Pipe Used: Cob