Inspired by the Christmas carol penned in 1857, the first Christmas carol written in the US to achieve widespread popularity, "We Three Kings" is C&D's 2014 Yuletide tobacco offering and alludes to the magi who traveled to the nativity bearing exotic spices and treasures. One part black Cavendish is met with equal measures of the "Three Kings" of red Virginia, bright Virginia, and Katirini Turkish, transforming this blend into true holiday magic with flavors of allspice, cinnamon, and vanilla.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
FlavoringCinnamon, Vanilla
Packaging2oz, 8oz Tin
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat)

2.0
Shane Ireland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shane Ireland (8)

Now, I am not typically an Aromatic smoker, so when an "Aromatic" blend crosses over into the realm of a "Virginia", I have to take note. If there was a category between the two, We the Kings would fall there. To my tastes the bright and red VA does a good job of keeping things interesting in terms of body and strength while the Katirini definitely adds a certain intrigue not typically found in your everyday Aromatic blends. As far as the spice, it does remind me of that certain time of the year (although it would be great year-round) while adding to the modest, yet very appealing aroma. This one certainly surprised me!

Paulie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paulie (1)

Tin Note: Mixture of black, brown, and gold leaf with a few stems. Smells pretty much like the tin says: allspice and vanilla, except I don't detect a cinnamon scent. To my nose the vanilla is up front and I also pick up a hint of raisins.

Charring Light: I packed my smallish, smooth Nording Queen using the air pocket method. First light yielded a few different flavors: definitely vanilla up front, and now the cinnamon that I didn't notice in the tin comes through along with a slight note of tea leaves. The leaf lit well with not a lot of smoke, rose well above the rim, and stayed lit nicely on the first tamp.

The first third of the bowl started a little harsh, probably because I pushed too hard to see what I could coax from it. Definitely have to treat this with care or it'll bite. I finally found the sweet spot in my cadence with very light tamping. At this point the Cavendish is forward to my palate with it's mild vanilla sweetness. I'm not a big fan of the aftertaste; it reminds me of cheap, hard candy for some reason.

Near mid-bowl the Cavendish begins to take a back seat as the Virginias and Turkish assert themselves. The sweetness shifts to a grassy/hay variety and the spicy cinnamon flavor weaves in and out. It has an almost peppery quality to it like an atomic fireball but not nearly as strong; more like Big Red chewing gum but not as sweet. The retrohale is fairly pleasant and the aftertaste has improved quite a bit.

The last third of the bowl is pretty much the same except the vanilla has somewhat made it's way back into the picture. The ash is predominately gray with flecks of white, and the burn was consistent throughout. Can't comment on the room note since I'm an outdoor smoker.

Overall this is good pipeweed and very fitting for the season; the cinnamon spiciness does remind me of Christmas. It's not in my wheelhouse so I doubt I would smoke it on a regular basis but it's a very nice change of pace. I'm curious to discover if my opinion changes as the weather gets colder.

Pipe Used: Nording

Purchased From: Local B&M

Ronnstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronnstein (14)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Wow, what a disappointing blend this is. About the only thing that stands out to me about this blend is the Turkish tobac in here. This is a very bland blend, not delivering on it's "holiday magic with flavors of allspice, cinnamon and vanilla" at all. Skip it.

Purchased From: P&C

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (20)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

What a disappointment! I expected better from Cornell & Diehl. Not the slightest hint of vanilla, cinnamon or allspice. The Virginia and Katarini overpower everything...including the Cavendish. I've tried two bowls and I'm not sure if I will throw it away or try to blend it with something. Sad, just sad.

Pipe Used: Falcon Meer-lined Istanbul

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: Pipes Ltd.