An impeccably structured blend. Featuring a foundation of sweet, tangy Virginias and cool burning Burleys, a dash of Macedonian leaf is added to round out the mixture and add a hint of the exotic. The different leafs are then aged as one, in order to marry and harmonize flavor, prior to being pressed into a tantalizing flake.

BrandSavinelli
Manufactured BySavinelli
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
CountryUnknown
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Mild, Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full

The flake is a little moist and very easy to rub out or fold and stuff. The tin aroma is sweet honey and lots of fruity citrus. The light Virginia is a tangy citrusy, lightly bready, with a little grass and a few hints of earth and spice, and some creaminess. The burleys are supporting players offering a slight nutty sweetness. A touch of Macedonian leaf provides a very slight floral essence. The top note of honey kind of reminds me of graham crackers. A pleasingly mild all day smoke that burns cool, dry, and slow with no moisture or harsh spots.

Houndstooth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Houndstooth (20)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I took to this right off, possibly due to its resemblance to Orlik Golden Sliced in the red can- another tin that I've been working on that I've grown quite fond of. Unlike Orlik though, it needs some drying time.

Another thing which may or may not be particular to this tobacco, although it brought me here- rub it out. A reliable old Italian pipe of mine didn't show this toback to good advantage when I folded and stuffed. While not dirty, I cleaned it with alcohol and a week or so later re-tried the Brunello- this time fully rubbed out. Voila- magnifique!

There is a citrus thing happening here which I didn't catch in the Orlik, or didn't think I did. Maybe I did though, and hence my attraction for Brunello. Again I'm not detecting perique either, but then again there's none advertized; also an Orlik trait of great dispute. But the nicotine is present- at least as much in Orlik.

While I'm aware that I'm reviewing Brunello- NOT Orlik, the comparisons are hard to avoid due to the proximity of both in my useage. Orlik fans looking for a great variation may well find something new with Brunello, The tin is better eye candy than the image of a Brit judge on a scarlet background, which is about as welcome as a toadstool, but perhaps more traditional than the green floral (grape leaf?) design the Brunello tin is graced with. Stacked rectangular flakes are easy to measure size-wise for any flake afficianado.

Try the Brunello- it holds its own.

Pipe Used: antique Royalton Silver Crown, cobs

Age When Smoked: birthed June 2014- so about 5 months

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced.

greggles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
greggles (3)

Tin Aroma: Fruity, sugary sweetness. Its what I would imagine an old timey Starburst candy would smell like.

Taste: Delicious! Sweet Virginias mixing with the Macedonia leaf is a wonderful, savory experience. The flavor remains full and consistent throughout the whole bowl. As a lover of Virginia I am not dissapointed. Occasionally my nostrils will experience a pleasant tingle on the exhale.

Smokability: I found my usual flake packing method to work just fine with this blend. I will tear about a 1/3 of a flake off and fold it twice and stuff it into the bottom of the bowl. Than I'll rub out enough to gravity fill it to the top of the bowl. Char, tamp, relight.

Room Note: Virginia, that wonderful scent that all humans should smell and savor.

Thoughts: I really like this blend, as both a lover of Virginia and flakes. This also redeemed Burley for me. As my previous experience was with Captain Black (which I didn't hate, but just found it lacking and uninteresting) and the shudders Borkim Riff. So Burleys are okay in my book and I look forawrd to trying more of them. I've also never had Macedonian leaf before so theres another one of my horizons opened up.

Reccomended to: Anyone who enjoys Virginias and wants to really experience the sweetness they bring. And to anyone who wants to smoke something that is generally sweeter tasting, this blend should not dissapoint. Summary: Sweet, delicious flake which I could see myself smoking regularly. And I'll also have to cellar some ;)

4/5 Stars