With this mellow aromatic blend we honor Master Penman Michael Sull whose incredibly beautiful Spencerian penmanship is internationally recognized and can be seen on many pipe club presentations. His preference for soft, fragrant blends is the inspiration for this elegant pecan-flavored pipe tobacco. We hope it will enable you, in Mike's words, "to achieve the highest degree of pleasure and blow the perfect smoke ring."

Notes: Released at the 2014 IPCPR trade show in Las Vegas, NV

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish
FlavoringCinnamon, Pecan, Vanilla
Strength
Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
Very Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Full

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (25)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I love this blend. It's a new favourite. Smells like a delicious dessert when you open the tin. Like a fruitcake or something that I'd actually want to eat.

Smokes down to the bottom of the bowl without relighting, with good taste throughout the smoke. Not too much of a harsh chemical taste.

Room note is very pleasant and easily passes the wife test. Definitely a blend I'll want to keep in rotation, as long as I'm able to find it.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Bjarne Nielsen, Peterson, Corncob

Purchased From: tobaccoblends.com.au

Similar Blends: McClelland - Penman's Choice.

ColinK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColinK (13)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not super impressed with this one as a first impression. EVERYTHING about this blend screams out to my tastes. The Tin Note was just as advertised- Delicious. Packed a bowl and got ready to go. Warning on this one- if you pack the bowl too tight, this blend will allow you to- so be careful loading. Upon first light, I was..... shall we say- underwhelmed. Pretty flat in flavor with a super-light hint of the additions. Every once in a while as you travel through the bowl- you get a good burst, but mostly, just flat. Upside- no bite at all. I may have to come back to this one after I let it sit for a bit.

Pipe Used: MM.

Age When Smoked: Fresh From the Tin

Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

The pecan topping is sweetly nutty as you would expect, and though it's the main flavor, it does not overwhelm the other toppings. The cinnamon adds a nice, mild spice note that contrasts well with the light vanilla hit. The black cavendish has the vanilla notes you expect, but in a small amount. The burley is barely noticeable, and I suspect the light honey comes from gold cavendish, though I wonder if there's some Virginia present because I get a hint of grass in the smoke. Burns a little slow and requires a few relights, and will leave some moisture in the bottom of the bowl, but not really any dottle. The flavor is consistent all the way to the end, but at times, I get a syrupiness that hints of a chemical. It really isn't distracting, but I have noticed it. Three and a half stars, but not quite four.

Liquid360 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Liquid360 (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It's probably important to note that I've only been smoking "seriously" for 6'ish months. Thus far, so you see where I'm coming from, my favorite tobacco had been Escudo. That said... I opened the tin and wasn't very excited. I'm not sure why but it didn't appeal so I put it aside with the other dozen open tins which I wasn't excited about. After a couple weeks I returned and decided to give it a shot. The scent didn't excite me, but upon lighting a full packed bowl and lighting it, the smoke hit my nose and it was love at first scent. It reminded me of the burnt sugar on top of creme brûlée. The taste, to me, was pure Carmel and bread pudding. It burned perfectly, no relighting needed. It's a mild aromatic and not like poupurri like taste of others I've tried. It's really good tobacco with a really great taste To say I loved it is putting it mildly. The fact I've bothered to write my first review says something. Also, the fact I've smoked through two tins in four days says something. I've ordered a dozen more to try aging some. This is BY FAR my favorite aromatic. It's new so I've not read much about it but I'm very curious as to whether it's just me.

Pipe Used: Ligne Bretagne