Virginia and burley combined with some black cavendish steamed with mango juice to create a fabulous aromatic.

Notes: Brand New. Rough sketch on the tin of a colonial era ideal of an East Indies location.

BrandSolani
FlavoringMango
CountryUnknown
Strength
Taste

3.2
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The black cavendish is just noticeable. The Virginia is grassy and earthy, dark fruit and citrus (more of this than the dark fruit) sweet while the burley, which stands out a little more than the other two components, is nutty and earthy with a touch of molasses. The high quality mango topping is deep and rich in flavor, and mostly hides the tobaccos. Sweet and sour, there are no chemical notes or any syrupiness in the mango, nor does the taste weaken at any time. Burns a little slow, cool and clean with a very consistent taste, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. Needs some relights. The nic-hit is almost mild to medium. No bite, no harsh or dull spots. Not an all day smoke as it does pack a little punch.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My review will stand in stark contrast to the other review as I am only the second one yet to review this blend. I will start by saying that I am not a big aro smoker, but do enjoy some occasionally. What I choose to smoke when that occasion grips me, I am very particular about. Their are only a few I truly enjoy. This one, so far, is either at the top or tied with Gawith's Coconut Twist.

They are both so dissimilar their is room for both. On to the review and to my surprise that I even like this at all. I typically don't like a heavily topped aromatic and, make no mistake, this one is. The aroma is heavy in the beginning and doesn't really leave, but does get lighter as the smoke goes on.

So how can I like it so much? This leaf has some great body underneath the topping. I think the burley is of high quality and really carries this one. As previously stated, I am no aro fanatic and I ripped through this tin in no time. Where does all of this fall with my recommendation?

I highly recommend this to both the Aromatic fanatic and the occasional aromatic smoker. This is rare for me to do as I find these two groups have distinct tastes. The former preferring the sweet air highly topped blends and the latter with the lighter topped blends that let the underlying leaf shine. This is both a heavily topped blend that lets the underlying leaf shine. It is not a common thing and as such, I highly recommend it with four aromatic stars.

Pipe Used: various

GFGraham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GFGraham (3)

The tin note was wonderful, very light and fruity with mango dominating. For someone like me who dislikes the flowery smell of many aromatics, this was a welcome change. Using the fold and stuff method, I loaded up my Meerschaum with tobacco straight from the tin with no drying time. The tobacco lit easily. The smoke was light and the flavors were subtle. No bite to speak of and it burned very nearly to the bottom. And it left a pleasant 'moustache note' as well. I'm a fan of stronger tobaccos, but this is one aromatic I can imagine smoking almost every day. Into the rotation it goes!

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

runamuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
runamuck (5)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

Unripe mango, with a sour bitterness. The tobacco mild and ashy with no flavor, like smoking a flavored cigarette. I've smoked a lot of hookah's from heaven to please kill me all over the middle east. I put this tobacco as the very worst of the 'good' tobacco i've ever had. It really saddened me because it smelled so good, just like one of my favorite sheeshas I only get to smoke when I am in the middle east. It was so bad I had to eat a bowl of kimchi from a local Korean family to rid my mouth of the taste. I will age it a bit more and try it other pipes so look for updates. I really hope it gets better.

Pipe Used: My great grandfather's meerschaum billiard

Purchased From: smoking pipes

Similar Blends: Cheap sheesha.

footlooset Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
footlooset (23)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a great tasty aromatic, the flavor of mango is there in every puff without obscuring the tobaccos. Mild Spicy Virginia and sweet Burley go nicely with the Cavendish. It burns at a slow pace, and has no tongue bite.

Pipe Used: Savinelli, Gasaparini

Purchased From: Easton Smoke Shop

dbl-bbl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dbl-bbl (34)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The good: 1) the packaging is quite attractive 2) the flakes are nicely cut, layered, & stacked in the tin 3) the tobacco is neatly wrapped 4) the tin note is delicious 5) the aroma of the lighted tobacco is slightly sweet.

The bad: 1) this stuff is expensive 2) the tobacco is rather moist & a little difficult to get a char light 3) the taste is rather bland.

Conclusion: I'll dry this out a little to see if things improve. I'll even attempt to mingle this baccy with something like CB Gold or straight burley to see if I can make it more palatable to my liking. I typically like to fold, roll, and stuff my flakes ... maybe this stuff will be more enjoyable if I rub it out. Bottom line ... in my opinion there are many more delicious Aromatics available straight from the tin (e.g. Cult BRM, all of Boswell & Gatlinburlier Aro blends, CB Royal, CB Red Sky, etc...). I'm just really not inclined to go overboard to make this stuff work for me ... especially what you have to pay for this stuff ... but I said that already! Didn't I?

Pipe Used: Briars (Canadians, Lovats, & Billiards)

Lazarus77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lazarus77 (42)

One of the best aromatics. Nice smooth taste, no tongue bite at all, clean dry smoke, no relights needed. Worth every cent i spend. Highly recommended who's like aromatics.

Pipe Used: Vauen

Purchased From: Cigarworld.de

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (81)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

In the tin, one finds two rows of dark, sodden flakes that smell just like the listed ingredients, along with super-sweet orange and a kind of “artificial” scent that usually spells doom for edibles and aromatic tobaccos, alike. The flakes are so crumbly that I never did try to fold and stuff them; rather, I went ahead and spindled them to splinters. The splinters lit and smoked down OK at tin moisture, and the topping tasted its strongest this way, staying well above the tasty VA/Bur/Cav through the whole smoke. The drier I got it, the lighter the topping, relative to the tobaccos, but it remains an aromatic. To me, the sweet orange and mango topping actually smells (and tastes) better when I smoke it than it does in the tin, albeit this blend is monochromatic, to the point of monotony, before I finish a bowl. Smoking it dry lessens the intensity of the topping without diminishing the tobacco. The deep-ish VAs are smooth, rich and nutty, likewise the Burleys. The Cav adds a nice, chewy quality. Strength is mild. Tastes run to medium. Room note is pleasant. Aftertaste is… I’ll get to that.

Solani 639, Tropical Mango Flake smells pretty good in the tin, and it smells and tastes good when I smoke it, too. For this (apart from the whole) I can understand the high ratings, and for a minute there I was ready to rack it up, myself. Unfortunately, like most aromatics I’ve tried, TMF also oils my mouth, whether I smoke it wet or dry, and this is something I just can’t abide. All in all, 2 stars from me, meaning, others might well like it (if they’re immune to mouth oiling), but I’m done with it soon after I started. FWIW, for something similar (but not the same), I recommend Savinelli’s Brunello Flake.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: from tin and jar

Similar Blends: Compare/contrast to Savinelli's Brunello Flake.

Dr.James Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.James (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a wonderful light aromatic, flavors of mango and passionfruit are present in every puff without obscuring the tobaccos too much. Spicy virginias and sweet nutty burleys interplay beautifully with the malty & tangy cavendish. Burns at a moderate pace, to get the most out of this blend and to avoid tongue bite rub the tobacco out and pack firmly, smoke slowly...

I don't always smoke aromatics... But when I do, I prefer Solani 639.

Fresh pipes my friends