Notes: Sutliff's match for the discontinued Flying Dutchman blend.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish, Virginia
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste

In the Match, there’s a small amount of black cavendish that imparts a mellow vanilla flavor that compliments a mild licorice topping. In supporting roles are a light honey hit from the gold cavendish, and some hay/grass and slight citrus from the Virginia. The burley is slightly nutty. Because this is a Dutch-style blend, there’s a lightly persistent herbal spice note from start to finish. A sipping blend that may need a little dry time, but provides a consistent taste. Has little nicotine. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has an okay after taste, and can be an all day smoke. In comparing this to the 1970s version of the original, I find the Match to be superior. The original was shag cut and packaged dry, so it tended to burn hot and bite worse than virtually any blend I have ever tried. Not even hydration could stave off the bite, though it did enhance the herbalness. The Match is ribbon cut and not dry, does not bite, has more depth of similar flavors with a sweeter topping, is less spicy and herbal, and a vastly smoother, richer smoke. I gave the original one star.

-JimInks

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I used to smoke the original Flying Dutchman 45 years ago in college. Back then you could smoke in the classroom. It had a great aroma and the girls loved it. ( I needed all the help I could get.). And, with a pipe in hand, you looked like an intellectual. So, you could go around pontificating about stuff you really knew nothing about. (An added plus.) Mostly, existentialism and Jean-Paul Sarte. I never read anything by him, and could really care less. But everyone seemed to get off on it. Then, the hippies came along, and here we are today, aged hippies, smoking a pipe, just like dad did. This match really isn't a match. It's a very nice smoking tobacco. I give it 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Kent Rasmussen

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

Talltree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talltree (24)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

The original Flying Dutchman was very disappointing. I was in college in the 1960s and used to buy it at the drugstore. I remember that the flavor, tin note, and smoke aroma was terrific, but it also really scorched my mouth. The flavor wasn't worth the pain and I gave up on it. Gave it 1 star.

This match blend, on the other hand, is mild and does not burn the mouth at all. The nic hit is mild. I can't remember what the original tasted like so I can't really make a comparison. The bag note is faintly herbal. The tobacco seems to be pretty good quality. The flavor is hard to describe but it doesn't taste like there is much of a topping. The Cavendish kind of mutes the tobacco taste. The flavor is decent for a mild tobacco.

It was good enough to recorder. As for rating it, if it is smoked straight from the pouch without drying the extra moisture takes at least a star off the rating. Smoke it after drying and it is a very tasty smoke. The funny things is - and maybe this is just me - but when sipped (and fairly dry) this stuff can be very sublime (nearly a four star tobacco). Makes me want to know what the topping is. Three solid stars.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Age When Smoked: after drying for 2 days, right out of the bag

Purchased From: pipesandcigars.com, in bulk

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28392)

I never tried the original but If it was anything like the match version I think I would have enjoyed it. It came at a nice moisture level and the pouch note was sweet but subdued. The attractive mahogany course ribbon cut packed easily and stayed lit throughout. Nutty sweet without any bite. The burley is at the forefront with the Virginias adding a base of natural sweetness. Nic level was mild to moderate. Can be smoked all day like most all OTC style blends.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (72)

I was feeling nostalgic and bought the Sutliff Match Flying Dutchman the other day and have been smoking it for the past few days and really like it. I have a 10 oz tin of the original that I bought between 1998-2000 but could only smoke a few ounces before giving it up because it burned my mouth like you would not believe. This tobacco has very little bite, nice aroma though I really have no clue what it is, maybe a little vanilla and other flavoring added. I smoked some of my original yesterday and this match really is pretty darn close, my hat is off to the blender on this one.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Similar Blends: Flying Dutchman.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Match Flying Dutchman.

It's quite a chunky ribbon, mainly medium brown but there's a fair few light and dark specks; more yellow ones than any others. The moisture's good.

The smoke isn't offensive, but a little messy. The topping, although not too strong, has a slightly herb-like quality that doesn't appeal to me. When first lit it isn't too notable, but after five minutes it comes through and strengthens over a bowl. Behind the topping, the tobaccos taste quite nice, not great, but they rescue it from a complete 'write-off' rating! Something that tempts me back toward a rubbish rating is the speed of burn: fast. That, and the heat being a little too much make me settle on two stars.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: pleasant enough.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef; Friday pipe

Age When Smoked: Three weeks

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

BROBS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BROBS (53)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I have never had the pleasure of trying the original Flying Dutchman, but this version is something tasty with a great room note. I found my bulk purchase to be on the moist side, which makes it burn a little hot in the pipe. However I dried a bowl overnight, and this problem was mostly gone. Oddly enough it didn't bite either way. The flavor is fairly light, and I can taste the "herbal" quality that so many note. The aftertaste is of this, and it increases as you smoke. To me this herbal taste is increased due to the fermented taste of the cavendish and the overall moisture of the tobacco. The room note is amazing.. in some ways similar to Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic but much smoother and less smoky. It's really like nothing else. Produces a large amount of smoke. Overall I think this could be a 4 star tobacco for me if it would just come at a more reasonable moisture level. I have noticed this with Sutliff products, they almost have an oily quality that is hard to dry. It does tend to leave some dottle for me unless I'm careful (and I usually smoke to ash) but with careful packing and tamping this is not an issue.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: right out of bag

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

oldermanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldermanpipe (17)

Ya' know...this stuff ain't bad. Of course, it's not cool to mess with old men. And that is sort of what this tobacco does, to some extent.

Ah. The history. I first smoked the original Flying Dutchman as a college Freshman in 1971. The popular alternatives then (if guys were to take up the pipe, which was practically required) were Borkum Riff Bourbon, and Cherry Blend. YECH!!! But Frying (not a typo) Dutchman smelled better than either of them...and bit far worse. But, man, did it ever smell GREAT!!! Don't know how it smelled to anyone else...but it sure smelled wonderful to me!

Truth be told, no matter how much I enjoyed the fragrance of my own pipe, had I not discovered Sir Walter and Balkan Sobranie, I'd have stuck with Viceroys and Marsh Wheeling Virginians.

This Match from Sutliff is far, far smoother than the original, and captures more than a bit of the side-stream aroma. NOTICE TO SUTLIFF....add a small bit of Orientals, including Latakia, and you'll have a winner.

Nobody can create an exact match. But the folks in Richmond are close...very close.

Pipe Used: GBD, Missouri Meershaum