Notes: Sutliff's match for the discontinued Flying Dutchman blend.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish, Virginia
Strength
Taste
2.7

In the Match, there’s a small amount of black cavendish that imparts a mellow vanilla flavor that compliments a mild licorice topping. In supporting roles are a light honey hit from the gold cavendish, and some hay/grass and slight citrus from the Virginia. The burley is slightly nutty. Because this is a Dutch-style blend, there’s a lightly persistent herbal spice note from start to finish. A sipping blend that may need a little dry time, but provides a consistent taste. Has little nicotine. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has an okay after taste, and can be an all day smoke. In comparing this to the 1970s version of the original, I find the Match to be superior. The original was shag cut and packaged dry, so it tended to burn hot and bite worse than virtually any blend I have ever tried. Not even hydration could stave off the bite, though it did enhance the herbalness. The Match is ribbon cut and not dry, does not bite, has more depth of similar flavors with a sweeter topping, is less spicy and herbal, and a vastly smoother, richer smoke. I gave the original one star.

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I used to smoke the original Flying Dutchman 45 years ago in college. Back then you could smoke in the classroom. It had a great aroma and the girls loved it. ( I needed all the help I could get.). And, with a pipe in hand, you looked like an intellectual. So, you could go around pontificating about stuff you really knew nothing about. (An added plus.) Mostly, existentialism and Jean-Paul Sarte. I never read anything by him, and could really care less. But everyone seemed to get off on it. Then, the hippies came along, and here we are today, aged hippies, smoking a pipe, just like dad did. This match really isn't a match. It's a very nice smoking tobacco. I give it 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Kent Rasmussen

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

I never tried the original but If it was anything like the match version I think I would have enjoyed it. It came at a nice moisture level and the pouch note was sweet but subdued. The attractive mahogany course ribbon cut packed easily and stayed lit throughout. Nutty sweet without any bite. The burley is at the forefront with the Virginias adding a base of natural sweetness. Nic level was mild to moderate. Can be smoked all day like most all OTC style blends.

Talltree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talltree (24)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I'm from the 60s and used to buy this at the drugstore. I remember that the flavor was terrific, but it really scorched my mouth. The flavor wasn't worth the pain. This match blend, on the other hand, is mild and does not burn me. The nic hit is mild. Frankly, I can't remember what it tasted like back then so I can't really compare it to the original (which I gave 1 star).

I can taste the tobacco which seems to be pretty good quality. The flavor is, as others have said, kind of herbal. I can't really identify it - not vanilla or fruit. The Cavendish kind of mutes the tobacco taste. I'm well into the bag now and I have to admit this stuff is growing on me. The flavor is good for a mild tobacco

OK, I've smoked half of it. I'm raising my review to 3-1/2 stars. This might make its way into my rotation.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Age When Smoked: right out of the bag

Purchased From: pipesandcigars.com, in bulk

Similar Blends: Davidoff Danish Mixture.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Match Flying Dutchman.

It's quite a chunky ribbon, mainly medium brown but there's a fair few light and dark specks; more yellow ones than any others. The moisture's good.

The smoke isn't offensive, but a little messy. The topping, although not too strong, has a slightly herb-like quality that doesn't appeal to me. When first lit it isn't too notable, but after five minutes it comes through and strengthens over a bowl. Behind the topping, the tobaccos taste quite nice, not great, but they rescue it from a complete 'write-off' rating! Something that tempts me back toward a rubbish rating is the speed of burn: fast. That, and the heat being a little too much make me settle on two stars.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: pleasant enough.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef; Friday pipe

Age When Smoked: Three weeks

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

oldermanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldermanpipe (15)

Ya' know...this stuff ain't bad. Of course, it's not cool to mess with old men. And that is sort of what this tobacco does, to some extent.

Ah. The history. I first smoked the original Flying Dutchman as a college Freshman in 1971. The popular alternatives then (if guys were to take up the pipe, which was practically required) were Borkum Riff Bourbon, and Cherry Blend. YECH!!! But Frying (not a typo) Dutchman smelled better than either of them...and bit far worse. But, man, did it ever smell GREAT!!! Don't know how it smelled to anyone else...but it sure smelled wonderful to me!

Truth be told, no matter how much I enjoyed the fragrance of my own pipe, had I not discovered Sir Walter and Balkan Sobranie, I'd have stuck with Viceroys and Marsh Wheeling Virginians.

This Match from Sutliff is far, far smoother than the original, and captures more than a bit of the side-stream aroma. NOTICE TO SUTLIFF....add a small bit of Orientals, including Latakia, and you'll have a winner.

Nobody can create an exact match. But the folks in Richmond are close...very close.

Pipe Used: GBD, Missouri Meershaum