This is Sutliff's Match blend for Country Doctor.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

The latakia and perique are condimental, but they add a nice bass note. Burley is the main star, with the Virginia playing back up. There are very slight fig and prune notes with a hint of a topping I cannot identify. At times, I get a slightly sour tangy taste mixing in with the sweet, and there's a nice earthy Burley taste that gives this some complexity. Because it's a rough coarse cut mixture, I recommend a round bowl rather than a pipe with a narrow chamber so it will burn to the last bit. It burns evenly and coolly, and holds up its flavor to the very end with no dottle. A good regular smoke, and superior to House of Windsor's Country Doctor blend. The major differences are that the Match is a little sweeter and fuller in taste, and doesn’t have the ashy, cigarette finish the original sometimes had. It doesn’t bite either, which could happen with the HoW version.

I gave two stars to the HoW version.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (72)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was a tough one. I thoroughly enjoyed the taste, that is when I could get it. I had to puff a little harder than usual to get enough of it, and, of course, what happens when you do that? You get nipped. Even with a filter. The bite wasn't bad, rather mild, really, but still, it was there for me.

There is a topping of some sort in this, but I couldn't detect what it was. Whatever it is, it's really mild, and mostly there was just a nice tobacco taste. I liked this blend, just. I found it to be one of those smokes you could light up and forget about. Overall, a more or less pleasant experience.

Out of the matche's I've tried thus far, this one's on a slightly lower level than the other two (Edgeworth RR Match, Revelation Match). Still, it was worth trying.

I'll give it a strong two stars.

Keep on Piping!

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob, Country Gent w/filter

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: P&C

Gothicmace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gothicmace (15)

To sum it up.. This Is GOOD !! Never smoked the original but I am smoking this every day. This is easily an all day blend... with just a slight natural sweetness to it. The blend changes every so slightly while you are smoking , and I like that. I sip this blend and have experienced no bite what so ever. This is a course cut and very easy to pack... I go a little light on the packing method as a looser pack seems to help increase the multi level flavor. I would very much recommend this blend.

Pipe Used: MM Legend & Dr. Grabow Omega

Age When Smoked: Fresh From the Pouch

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: This one stands on its own merits.