This is Sutliff's Match blend for Country Doctor.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

The latakia and perique are condimental, but they add a nice bass note. Burley is the main star, with the Virginia playing back up. There are very slight fig and prune notes with a hint of a topping I cannot identify. At times, I get a slightly sour tangy taste mixing in with the sweet, and there's a nice earthy Burley taste that gives this some complexity. Because it's a rough coarse cut mixture, I recommend a round bowl rather than a pipe with a narrow chamber so it will burn to the last bit. It burns evenly and coolly, and holds up its flavor to the very end with no dottle. A good regular smoke, and superior to House of Windsor's Country Doctor blend. The major differences are that the Match is a little sweeter and fuller in taste, and doesn’t have the ashy, cigarette finish the original sometimes had. It doesn’t bite either, which could happen with the HoW version.

I gave two stars to the HoW version.

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (66)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked a lot of HoW's Country Doctor. Yes it had it's warts but there were times when I hit just the right moment in a bowl and the flavors of the tobaccos and berry like topping would come together to meld into a good full flavored smoke. I still have some in a tin for comparison.

The new stuff: wide long springy flakes with variations of lighter and darker browns. To the nose it smells like mild burley mostly with nothing to suggest casing. Packing: this has bigger flakes so packing involves more than gravity feed. I pack several layers this with a tamp for each one. Takes a match easily and after the initial tamp and relight it goes on with minimal relights. Initial flavor is very mild, mostly basic burley and hint of something that is very faintly reminiscent of the original. I suspect its the condiments that are applied very lightly. Down the bowl the overall flavor becomes more definite but nonetheless remains quite mild. Smokes down to a grey ash, little dottle and doesn't sour at the end. This is a mild burley blend that requires little attention. Minimally aromatic. A simple no frills burley experience from a good quality leaf. It has none of the negatives of the HoW blend but the flavor is toned way down.

Pipe Used: Generic longstem Canadian

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (80)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This was a tough one. I thoroughly enjoyed the taste, that is when I could get it. I had to puff a little harder than usual to get enough of it, and, of course, what happens when you do that? You get nipped. Even with a filter. The bite wasn't bad, rather mild, really, but still, it was there for me.

There is a topping of some sort in this, but I couldn't detect what it was. Whatever it is, it's really mild, and mostly there was just a nice tobacco taste. I liked this blend, just. I found it to be one of those smokes you could light up and forget about. Overall, a more or less pleasant experience.

Out of the matche's I've tried thus far, this one's on a slightly lower level than the other two (Edgeworth RR Match, Revelation Match). Still, it was worth trying.

I'll give it a strong two stars.

Keep on Piping!

Pipe Used: MM Corn Cob, Country Gent w/filter

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: P&C

Gothicmace Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gothicmace (15)

To sum it up.. This Is GOOD !! Never smoked the original but I am smoking this every day. This is easily an all day blend... with just a slight natural sweetness to it. The blend changes every so slightly while you are smoking , and I like that. I sip this blend and have experienced no bite what so ever. This is a course cut and very easy to pack... I go a little light on the packing method as a looser pack seems to help increase the multi level flavor. I would very much recommend this blend.

Pipe Used: MM Legend & Dr. Grabow Omega

Age When Smoked: Fresh From the Pouch

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: This one stands on its own merits.