BrandJames Fox
CountryIE
Strength
Taste
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

James Fox - Honeydew Flake.

I bought this about a year ago but when I was looking for it on the internet prior to writing a review it appears to have been discontinued.

The tin's the same size as Mac Barens HH Old Dark Fired and the flakes are stacked in two rows at 4.5 cm x 7.5 cm. The smell from the tin is one of sweet honey; not strong, but definitely cased. I can't complain about the ease in which they crumble with; the moisture's great and they're quite thin.

On to the smoke: ignition's extremely easy, and it gives a good burn. I'm not too sure why honey isn't listed as a flavouring (I think I may be responsible for adding this one, sorry guys!), but the smoke has obviously been embellished with it; quite heavily, it masks the Virginia quite a lot. The first quarter of the bowl seems more flavoursome than just sweet, but after this point it develops a treacle-like sweetness.

Honeydew's quite mild in the nicotine department, I think this is more of a blend for flavour only folks, and the room-note's pleasant: sweet but not heavy.

At first I was unsure how to rate this, but after a fair few pipes full I'll happily recommend it; it's not exactly my thing, but it's of a high quality.

Three stars.