The 1982 Centennial blend celebrates our family’s 100-year anniversary in the tobacco business and I believe you will truly enjoy this mixture. The 1982 is a slow burning mixture, comprised of golden Virginias, sweet and soft mild Black Cavendish, light Burleys and blended with small plugs of navy flake to ease the burning. French vanilla and Black Berry top dressing is added as a final step, creating an outstanding room note and a distinctive taste experience.

BrandErik Stokkebye
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringBlackberry, Vanilla
Packaging1.4oz Tin
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

2.6
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

When I recently ordered the complete line of 4th Generation blends this was the one I tried first. Mainly because I could not recall ever having smoked a true blackberry aromatic. For some reason, blends with fruit extract all seem similar to me and I have trouble telling the flavors apart - unlike my jams and preserves on my morning toast - anyway, I didn't taste the vanilla in this one but I did taste the fruit. Typically Danish in flavor and very remindful of a few of the Danish blends on the market today. Very light in strength, by the way.

Pipestud

Old6String Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old6String (26)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I was really looking forward to trying this after enjoying 1957 so well. Unfortunately it just didn't live up to my own hype. I will finish this tin but will not purchase any more. It was just too flat on taste and never really opened up throughout the entire bowl. Big letdown; maybe try bumming a bowl from someone instead of buying a whole tin.

Update 1/4/15. After drying a little in the tin for a few weeks this has improved ever so slightly. The blackberry peeked through a little more but not much vanilla. Will be fair and move to 2 stars but will finish the tin and order no more.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Purchased From: J&R Tobacco while road tripping

Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

The Virginia is grassy, citrusy sweet. The burleys have a little nuttiness and molasses along with a mild toasty earth. The black cavendish may be unsweetened. It’s hard to tell because there’s some vanilla in the topping, but I notice very little vanilla while smoking this blend. The blackberry topping is mild. The tobaccos are muted by the toppings some. The nic-hit in very mild. It won’t bite. Burns at a moderate pace with a fairly cool smoothness, and a consistent flavor. Requires few relights. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl. While everything related to the taste is well integrated, a definite lack of body and depth works against it. A very comfortable all day smoke that somehow manages to be offer no more than a routine experience.

PipeGuy82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeGuy82 (12)

I rate this blend a 7 out of 10.

I ordered this blend to try for a couple of reasons, but the main one was simply because 1982 was the year I was born! I figured I ought to at least give it a try. :) Boy am I glad I did! I have only been a hobby pipe smoker for a couple of years and maybe it is just where I am at in my journey, but at this point mildly aromatic tobaccos seem to be my favorite. I have tried ALOT of heavy aromatics, several non-aromatics including some VAs, VApers, VA/latika blends, and even some of the more hardcore balkans like Black House. While I can appreciate the complexity of those english blends, I am not sure I am quite ready to abandon the candied aromas completely, thus the mildly aromatics such as this wonderful 1982 blend.

Opening the tin I smell the sweet blackberry flavor as well as the rich tobacco scent of the full bodied virginias that are incorporated into this blend. It smokes perfectly by my standards and last a long time with good flavor all the way through the bowl and a definitely present nicotine punch from the virginias. Overall this is one of my favorite tobaccos right now!

Pipe Used: various

Liam Tyr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Liam Tyr (15)

Wow, this is my first blackberry aromatic and I loved it. The quality of the tobacco is definitely top shelf. It smoked mild and clean like most Danish style blends. I can't say I tasted much other than tobacco, blackberry and a hint of honey. The tin aroma is intoxicating and the room note is complimentary to a quiet evening with the family. Like all of the Erik Stokkebye tobaccos it is made from super high quality ingredients and there is no drippy goopy mess left over when the bowl is empty.

Pipe Used: Tom Eltang Pot, Savinelli Nonpareil 9107