Oriental forward with a bit of Cigar Leaf, Virginia, and Burley. This is a tasty medium strength smoke that won't bite.

Notes: New blend, mid 2014, at 4noggins.

Blended ByRich Gottlieb
Manufactured By4noggins
Blend TypeOriental
ContentsBurley, Cigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Capn Jimbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capn Jimbo (23)

I was pleased to be able to add this tobacco to the database. New to pipes.

The aroma of this bulk tobacco was akin to a hickory fire, with a deep fig or raisin. Deep is the word. The taste does not disappoint, and this is indeed Oriental forward in spicy fashion. As a cigar smoker I like the leaf which gives a bit of fullness, with occasional whiffs of burley warmth and nuttiness. Altogether pleasant and bite free for this smoker's sensitive tongue (and only fair technique). Nice. This blend has encouraged me to try other Oriental forward blends, perhaps the Grand Orientals by McClelland, like the Classic Samsun.

Addendum (4 months later): this was originally a "freebie" - much appreciated - from 4noggins (thank you!). The more I smoke this, the more I like it. As a Floridian, I love good cigars, and in general find it's hard to find exactly the same enjoyment from most blends (not I don't enjoy many blends), but this blend continues to grow on me. Yes, it's everything noted above, but there's just that little "extra" that I find quite attractive and rewarding. Well balanced, nice "N", goes so very well with a nice bourbon or good single malt (particularly the sweeter bourbons like OGD or WE 1783.. My advice: do try a decent sample for whatever it's worth. Nicely done! Add 1/2 a point.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Eaton

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Purchased From: 4noggins sample

This is a good blend. The Orientals lead slightly and provide notes of butter and spice that mingle with the spiciness of the cigar leaf. The Burley has a nice sweetness and mild earthiness which combines with the sweetness and mild fruity note of the Virginias. All together a very nice tasting blend. The cigar leaf is about as harmoniously blended in here as possible. There always seems to be, at least, a little roughness when cigar leaf is used. It's a nice smoke.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor. No burn issues.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: 4noggins

cheapsk8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cheapsk8 (6)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I never was able to get into lofty descriptions. But I will state that this is the closest thing to a good cigar I have been able to get out of a pipe. Which isn't my goal when smoking a pipe, but is nice when wanted. A great blend to enjoy with a good scotch or top end Cognac. I personally find it a little monochromatic, but that isn't a bad thing, most of my fav cigars are! I get some more dimension out of a larger bowl, but not enough to switch to one.

If you power haul this it will get a bit much, just like trying to finish a good Cohiba in under 30 minutes. Definitely has some nicotine! As someone else stated it can almost get bitter when pushed to the point you hear the moisture burning off. Just ordered 2 oz after I finished the free sample. Now, my next order will be half a pound. I am def going to grab as much as I can afford to compliment my other fav blends.

Not an every day smoke for me, but something I have found myself craving to break the routine. As an interesting note I have a beauty of a Stanwell 199 that has 2 interesting properties. 1, the small chamber will turn ANY multi-dimensional baccy into a monochrome smoke. 2, it requires multiple lights no matter how I change up my technique. It has been a high maintenance woman that is gorgeous to behold, but a regular PITA. Unlike my ex GF I can't bear to throw it out. This blend is now dedicated to it as it compliments the behaviour of this blend, and it stays lit! The small chamber provide more than enough N for my tastes as well.

If you are tired of flakes, aros, Lats and drug store blends and want to step out of the norm, give this a try. It is the perfect compliment to a good drink, to sit and enjoy peacefully....and slowly. A great way to contemplate life in general.

Pipe Used: Brigham 135. Stanwell 199

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (50)

This is the first blend that I'm trying with cigar leaf. You have to smoke this slowly otherwise it does tend to get bitter. I found the nicotine a little on the high side. It does have a very good flavors though. Rich and nutty. I think if you like cigars you would like this blend. I am not a cigar smoker, so it's on the stronger side for me.

Pipe Used: Dunhill estate bulldog

Purchased From: 4noggins

Think of this as the little brother of Oriental Dusk. It is a more mellow and an earthier smoke. OD is a little edgy.

This is burley forward, with a few notes of sweet fruit from the Virginia. The oriental is of the variety that is soft and smooth instead of sour and more spicy. I am not smart enough to know the characteristics of different orientals. The cigar leaf complements the earthy burleys and enhances the flavors there.

This was an enjoyable smoke. It is milder in strength and flavor than OD. This is either good, bad or neither depending on your taste buds. It is easy to recommend to someone wanting to try a cigar leaf blend.