Tin contains slices of a large-diametre rope with a black centre and mottled exterior part, similar to Dunhill Navy Rolls and Orlik Bulls-Eye.

BrandDan Tobacco
Packaging100 g Tin
Strength
Taste

3.6

During my recent visit to Dan Tobacco's premises, I was offered this blend (as well as another new one, a plug) to try out and was given a goodly-sized sample bag. Having gone through the latter... well, OK. This Curly is pretty obviously made by STG/Orlik; the name-giving roundels come off the same machine that makes Dunhill Navy Rolls and Orlik's Bull's Eye; that much is obvious from the first look. The tin corroborates this impression by for the first time in my memory stating that this blend was made "for DTM in the EU," as opposed to the usual "made by DTM..." -- mind, DTM had commissioned 'baccy manufacture to their recipes before, like the MacBaren-made Timm London Blend 750, also a Curly.

The tin aroma is a bit different though; I find this blend to be about half-way in between the other two blends from the same machine: far more perique and far less BC than in the Orlik-branded offering, and more straight-VA than in either. The smoke is good-natured and slow, only a minimum of dottle left at the end of the bowl: I tend to fold two to three roundels and gently sink into my larger bowls; this 'baccy shines that way.

If you like either Bull's Eye or Navy Rolls, try this one. If you like MacBaren's Curlies, absolutely try this one (and I happen to love MB's Curlies...). Of course, if you don't like either, forget about this one, too.

I find this blend to be the golden middle ground between the BC overload of Bull's Eye and the high dosage of Perique in Navy Rolls; for me, this is the best of both worlds. Love it, will get more ASAP.

Addendum, 2-15-15: I find that, in a properly-shaped bowl, a single roundel rubbed out and stuffed loosely will give me a leisurely, sweet, 45-minute smoke. Beautiful!

Pipe Used: Design Berlin Mayflower, Big Ben Barbados

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: Dan Tobacco

Similar Blends: Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Bull's Eye, Dunhill - De Luxe Navy Rolls.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (135)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is very close to paul olson's My Blend Dark Pearl. Made in the same factory for Dan Tobacco. This is not a knock. Its a very good version of Davidoff Medallions or Luxury Bull's Eye flake by Stokkebye. It is the same general recipe. A bit of sweet black cavendish surrounded by stoved virginia and perique. The only difference is the relative amounts of each ingredient. I love all the above blends. If there is any difference its that perhaps the Davidoff is a bit sweeter...but slightly. And the LBF is like all stokkebye a bit young and benefits from aging. The Olson is perhaps a bit heavier on perique but honestly its hard to tell. Its a good solid version of this venerable idea. 3 and a half stars.

Doudeijns Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doudeijns (6)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love the smell of dried figs when opening the tin. The tabacco keeps its aroma well; it doesn't fade once the tin is openened. The individual slices are easily picked up out of the tin and don't fall apart. Packing and lighting is easy, even though the tabacco feels sticky and seems unlikely to ever catch fire.

I use small bowls and pack one or one-and-half slice. The pipe stays lit without any need to relight even when leaving the pipe alone for a minute.

A slow and restrained smoke brings out its flavour. I feel a slight throught irritation if I draw with too much zeal. If smoked very slowly the smell of straw on a sunny day and the taste of dried figs will remain until the end of the bowl. Leaves no dottle but does help you to build up a carbon layer.

I particularly enjoy smoking this in the Big Ben Pipo

Pipe Used: Peterson 666, Big Ben Pipo, Falcon

Purchased From: Dan Tabacco catalogue

Similar Blends: The (Mellow) Mallard, also by DTM, although the Mallard has a less dominant VA flavour.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (110)

Do to it's scarcity in local shops, I had no contact with this blend up to the time I became aware it could be ordered from suppliers. By smoking it, I have now gone round robin with all six commonly available Vaper/Cavendish spun cuts: Orlik Bulls Eye, Peter Stokkeby Bulls Eye, Davidoff Flake Medallions, Four Square Circles, Hearth and Home Red Eye and Dan Roper's Roundels. Of these six, I found RR to be the mildest. It started with the tin opening, as I thought it appeared somewhat lighter in color than the other five blends. The tin aroma had more hay-like notes than I remember the other five having and, this, I associate with Virginias. Although the Perique was noticeable, it seemed subdued compared to the other five blends. Finally, and contributing to the impression of overall lighter color, was the ruddy brown disk of "black" Cavendish. This was the least dark center disk of any of the six blends and had no noticeable aromatic aroma when isolated and crushed. So, finally, we light up this blend and puff away. From top to bottom, it smoked on the same curve as the other five blends - only lighter. My assessment is, RR is a typical spun cut Vaper with Cavendish center that is more Virginia forward and less Perique forward than it's stable mates. Now, there is naught wrong with any of this, as a lot of readers would welcome a Virginia forward blend like Roper's Roundels. But, I share a sentiment with reviewer Pipestud that I like my pipe tobaccos to slap me around a little bit - three stars.

Pipe Used: Ashton LX Old Church Author

Age When Smoked: current

Similar Blends: Smoking this blend reminded me of Davidoff Flake Medallions, as both smoke the softest of the six available spun cut blends. However, it lacks some of the nuances of FM..

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (175)

This was my 3rd Perique blend and its one of the better ones.

I have to admit my first try with the Ropers Roundels wasn't a "revelation". Maybe it wasn't the right setting, maybe my taste buds "evolved" or my taste changed (it did..) But now I wish I had more of this awesome smoke, because its delicious!

It comes along with a charming Virgina sweetness and citrus-ish freshness. Very lemon-like with deep grassy tones. Fresh moan grass and hay. Sparkling and lively. The Perique (of which there isn't too much) adds a decent tangy-note and a slight wiff of fruits (being plum raisins) to it, which makes this blend perfectly balanced and highly enjoyable. Ropers Roundels creamy smoke flatters the palate, and the sweetness can be described as caramel-like. Always with a very citrusy/lemony note to it. The Perique is more on the peppery, spicy side and delivers just a slightly dried-fruit taste. Anyways the Perique isn't very present to me, but it's definetly noticeable throughout the whole smoke.

The Cavendish...mhm... I guess the Cavendish adds a bit smoothness to it and enhances the sweetness (?). I havent smoked pure Cavendish by now, so I cant really tell what to expect from a Cavendish as I only know it in aromatics as aroma-carrier. But it works - and I guess somehow the Cavendish sweetens up rounds off this smoke even more.

Truly an "All-Day-Smoke", and compared to most other Va/Per offerings this blend is pretty mild - but satisfying enough!

You should smoke this one real slow to get the best taste imo (like all Virginia forward blends, but this one gets very quickly bitter to harsh when smoked too fast). I mostly just let it glimmer slightly so I get richest grassy, citrusy and slightly spicy taste for me. It leaves a nice, somewhat sweetish and spicy/peppery taste in the mouth, that's not lingering for too long which I personally enjoy a lot.

The presentation in coins is a joy for itself. Chapeau and thanks to the blenders of Dan Pipe, this is very well handcrafted and a very tasty blend. Highly reminiscent of PS Bullseye Flake and Davidoff's Flake Medallions and (also produced by Orlik) Orliks Bulls Eye (if they aren't the exact same..)

Gsus, how could anyone not love pipe tobacco?! ;-) No doubts left - 4/4 Stars!

Pipe Used: Clay Pipe / Various Briars

Purchased From: Dan Pipe (DTM)

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake (No. 403), Davidoff - Flake Medallions, Orlik Tobacco Company A/S - Bull's Eye.

Roper’s Rondel’s is similar in appearance to Stokkebye’s Luxury Bulls Eye Flake and Davidoff Flake Medallions as all three have a Cavendish center. (Unlike Escudo and Deluxe Navy Rolls which do not). In the tin, it smells of some hay, a bit of sour that I assume comes from the Perique. Just as there are significant differences between Escudo and DNR, there are significant differences between Roper’s and the others. The coins are mainly medium brown with some brights specs mixed in. Roper’s is sweet, and lacks the “rougher” edges of the Stokkebye blend. While the Virginias are sweet, there is an added sweet flavoring to Roper’s. There are a fair number of high notes and a little caramel from the brown Virginia and the Perique isn’t dominate. It burns cool with a little tingle on the tongue but it didn’t bite me. However is can run a little hot for me when pushed. Mid bowl, the Perique is more noticeable and adds some pepper and spice. Usually I fold and stuff this type of tobacco, but for whatever reason, I found that I really enjoyed this more when fully rubbed out. I expect that RR will cellar quite well. My only quibble with this tasty smoke is that it is only available in 100g tins and thus priced accordingly. I think more folks would be apt to try it for the first time if a 50g option was available.

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (105)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Davidoff Flake Medallions and Orlik Bull’s Eye/Peter Stokkebuy Bulls Eye have that same core of Black Cavendish. Leave that out and you’ll get pretty much Dunhill Navy Rolls/Escudo. At least to my impression, the Flake Medallions and these Roundels are the same tobacco by the same manufacturer (Orlik), varying in availability, price, tin size and design.

And they are good, really good. I much prefer them to pure VaPers and if I don’t rub them out, I can even taste when the BC core is contributing a sort of “box opening event” within the bowl. The taste of country style bread, roasted nuts, spiciness and only the slightest of sweetness is what I experience. Hitting the core, I also get reminiscence to MB’s Roll Cakes. Roper’s Roundels taste best to me after I let them age for at least ½ year, it merges the tobaccos harmonically to an even rounder, more soothing smoke (as if they weren’t round enough already).

Where I live Roper’s Roundels are 20% cheaper than Davidoff Flake Medallions… I vote for the contents, rather than the tin (plastered with warnings anyway), enjoy!

Pipe Used: Various

Similar Blends: Orlik Bull’s Eye, Peter Stokkebuy Bulls Eye, Dunhill Navy Rolls, Escudo, Davidoff Flake Medallions.

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)

The slices of Roper's Roundels look similar to Escudo or Dunhill's DeLuxe Navy Rolls, however, the manufacturing process and the blend are quite different. While the later are Va/Pers that are spun into ropes and then cut as curly flakes, for Roper's Roundels Virginias and Perique are pressed into thin flakes that are wrapped around a heart of Black Cavendish into a roll which is then cut into slices.

The way the tobacco coins are stacked into the tins reminds me of Bell's Three Nuns, even though the slices are much bigger. They give off a delicious scent of brown bread with a distict malty sweetness and notes of prunes or plum butter. The moisture level is perfect.

You could rub out the flakes, but I prefer to use the fold and stuff method or to make small balls of tobacco. Depending on the size of your bowl, it takes up to three coins to fill your pipe. Either way, you'll need a thorough charring and true light to get it burning evenly.

It's important not to draw too eagerly in order to avoid it getting burn too hot. A re-light is better than that. Enjoyed with leisure, this complex tobacco will give you a dense and creamy smoke that tastes deliciously of toasted bown bread with a sublime tangy sweetness from the Virginias, some fruity acidity from the Perique in the background and notes of marzipan and dark chocolate from the Black Cavendish. It burns down dryly to some graying ash.

The room note is unobtrusive and sweetish.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Nr. 95 Silke Brun

Purchased From: Dan Pipe

Similar Blends: Davidoff Flake Medallions, Orlik Bull's Eye.