A blend of the choicest matured Virginian and the finest Oriental tobaccos. It contains a high percentage of the finest Yenidje (Turkish) leaf.

BrandPeretti
Blended ByPeretti
Strength
Taste

3.8

Royal Blend is one of two excellent Oriental blends (the other being Tashkent) from LJ Peretti in Boston. It has a wonderful musty, slightly smoky scent and in the pouch. I like Yenidje a lot and IMO it is the star of Royal Blend. The Latakia and Virginias play a supporting role with the Virginias offering a little sweetness. It is stronger in “N” than some of the other Oriental blends on the market I have tasted, but shouldn’t bowl over most pipe smokers. Royal Blend has a bit more body too. It burns cleanly with no moisture build up, but I find its best not to push it. RB is also one of those blends that cellars well too and as such occupies a few spots in my cellar.

Age When Smoked: New, and up to 6 years

Purchased From: LJ Peretti

I was told by one of the guys who worked at Peretti that this product was as close to the old Balkan Sobranie as I could get. I detect several differences, e.g. the spice content is higher here and it’s a tad sweeter, but it is similar in several ways, too. Rather than focus on that, I’ll write about what this is. The Yenidje is enjoyably obvious in every puff as are the zesty, spicy Orientals, which are the star flavors. The latakia is a little sweet with the smokey, woodsy taste one expects it to have, and is the second star in this blend’s firmament. The Virginias play a supporting role with some natural sweetness and a slight grass note. Burns perfectly with hardly a relight, no moisture, no dottle, no harshness, and a great after taste.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Strong

Only in the past few months have I discovered L.J. Peretti, after 35 years of pipe smoking. The shop is in Boston and my smoking years have been spent in the midwest, which could explain taking so long to discover this fine old shop. I can only thank this website for the introduction.

The gentlemen at Peretti's are especially vigilant about not divulging the inner workings of their blends, especially to newcomers. But their website is frank about Royal Blend containing a high measure of Yenidje tobacco. That alone was enough for me to place an order; my first truly satisfying smoking experience was with Balkan Sobranie's Original Mixture. For those who have never tasted that classic blend, you have missed Heaven in a pipe.

Royal Blend is as close as one can come today. To expect any blend to be EXACTLY like any other is folly; many secrets are taken to the grave. Any great tobacco mixture (and Royal is certainly among these) is far more than the sum of its parts. Whatever the constituent parts of Peretti's Royal Blend might be, they are brought together with unusual care and finesse, resulting in a rich, full, fascinating tobacco.

Best smoked after a rich evening meal, Royal Blend will introduce itself with a powerful handshake of Latakia, followed with the Turkish Yenidje. The Virginias can be recognized in the background, but only if one knows they are there. Lacking any English sweetness or piquancy, Royal is a Balkan blend, period.

Certain to win many friends among Latakia and Turkish smokers, Royal blend is a sure bet to lose as many among people who hate any tobacco smoke, let alone one as full as this.

But with friends like those, who needs friends?

Four out of four stars.

W.B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
W.B. (1)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

having returned to pipe smoking after a 20 year hiatus (after 20 years as a pipe smoker) I am compelled to write a brief review of Peretti's Royal blend. In my return to pipe smoking I have started in the places where I I left off: English blends such as Dunhill standard, 965 etc as well as 1Q and Peretti's 432 (similar, but despite what others have written, vastly superior to 1Q). In any event, I was happy to discover Frog Morton's Cellar. It is a wonderful smoke!. I Finally got around, however, to order a lb. of Royal Blend. I had smoked this blend so many years ago. While it is expensive, and while cellar is terrific, there is no contest. Royal blend is, in my view the perfect English style blend. Not so overwhelming on the Latakia that it is oppressive but, truly, much more flavorful than Frog Morton. It comes very tightly packed and is at the perfect moisture level. The flavor is more pronounced than Frog Morton but not completely different. So, if you like Frog Morton's Cellar ( which every pipe smoker should try) I think that you will find that Royal Blend is similar but more enjoyable. When my next 100G tin of Frog morton is gone I may just re-soak the stave and put it in the Royal blend tin!

Pipe Used: L'anatra Poker

Purchased From: L.J. Pertetti

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After so many glowing comments about Peretti's on the pipe forums, I decided to give this one a try, particularly after one member said this is the closest blend to the old Balkan Sobranie. My 8oz order came in a snazzy old fashioned can. When you pry off the paint-can lid the tobacco is firmly packed with a plastic bag liner. It took me a couple bowls to begin enjoying the smoke. I could taste some amazing flavors but it was rather harsh. I took the tobacco out of the paint can and let it breath a bit. This made all the difference.

What a tobacco! A lot of zingy high notes penetrate the palate balanced by a profound latakia. Boldly blended, it toes the line of astringency allowing for a full magnificent flavor. Smoothness can be found, but it's more on the leathery end of the spectrum than buttery.

I recommend you take a break from your normal tobacco retailers, give the brash Bostonians a call and get some of this tobacco! The guy taking your order may sound like he's doing you a favor by filling your order...but after trying this blend I realized that he is.

ItalianBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ItalianBriar (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This is simply one of the best (tied with Dunhill London Mixture & Three Oaks Syrian) English/ Balkan blend you can buy. It is absolutely delicious and the Turkish tobacco used is unlike anything I have ever tasted. It has a very luxurious buttery mouthfeel and has plenty of nicotine. Peretti blends are at the perfect moisture level for immediate smoking BUT they tend to dry out fast so make sure you have a way to keep it moist or order a small amount at a time.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)

There are two things I love about all of the Peretti blends I have tried so far: 1) The high quality tobaccos used and 2) the ready to smoke right now moisture level. Royal blend is no exception in either of these aspects and the flavors of this tobacco blend are fantastic - rich, smooth, slightly sweet and buttery. Aptly named - no king or emperor ever smoked anything finer than Royal Blend.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This blend is outstanding with a capital "O" just a great, high-quality tobacco and blended by the masters

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (65)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This was from my first order of Peretti's tobacco's...others being 333, Tashkent, Oriental #40, and Omega. Each one is excellent. Each one is worth buying and having on hand. I've read that every Peretti's tobacco is top quality and now I have the evidence to dutifully recommend their product.

Royal Blend is high class, snooty, pipe snob blend. And deservedly so. It's very good. It also happens to be the most accessible of the five I ordered. By my way of thinking, any pipe smoker would apprecitate the half hour of smiling that this baby brings on. The Yenidje leaves sprinked in it have no equal and are pure music to the palate. It made me want to pick up a brush and paint a mountain or something(I don't paint), or write a poem (I hate poetry). I very strenously recommended it. Four stars.

Lowbar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lowbar (2)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

First review for me.....I'm fairly new to pipe smoking, or rather newly returned with a new fervor. I immediately gravitated to English blends though I have tried and will review others as well.

I've tried several tinned blends that I picked up in travels through Europe, but Peretti is on my doorstep here in Boston and I went in and asked for several samples, based on my preferred tastes. They threw in a baggie* of Royal, and it was one of the later ones I tried.

What an amazing smoke! It was the first blend that I thought about a lot long after I had smoked it, and even now I crave it at times.

The blending is masterful, resulting in a cool, easy-burning, and rich smoke. I'm not keen enough yet to identify the different elements of the mixture, but I can say that this is probably the best tasting English blend I have yet tried.

* the baggies used for smaller amounts of the bulk blends at Peretti are the only negative I can give to them. Tins hold a lot of appeal, and a better packaging would do wonders. I suppose this is not a game changer, and I will be buying it in tins from now on, so moot in this case, but......

teniscat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
teniscat (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Packs easily, burns slow, excellent flavor. You couldn't want anything more from a pipe tobacco. Highly recommended to those looking for a mild, great tasting english blend. Sipping on a pipe of this is relaxing.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)

Original Review 04/06/11 I don't think a more spot on review is possible with this blend than that offered by kilted1 in 2005. That is important because the blend is exactly what he describes 6 years later. This will tell you that there is complete and reliable consistency to be found with Peretti blends. That speaks volumes by itself.

You can't miss with this Balkan (yes, I used the term...lol) blend in any way. The orientals are right up there with the front row players. Just a great blend that tells me that we still have what should be comtemporaneously considered "legendary blends" and not appreciated for what they are until they are dead and gone. Please do yourself a favor and give this a try, IMHO you won't be disappointed.

Cheers!

Update 04/25/11 After this blend has seen some air time, the buttery smell of Yenidje has started to come full on. The nose translates to the flavor and is sublime! I don't think I have ever had a tobacco blend so flavorful in my life. This will be hoarded with enthusiasm by me. I never want to be without Royal Blend. The secret to this blend is letting it jar age and slowly introduce some air from time to time over a couple of weeks. What an evolution this has made. Buy four ounces and follow my method here, you will not be disappointed.

hillbillypalate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hillbillypalate (20)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I got my care package from Perettis today and one of it was Royal Blend. I must say they are one of the Top Blenders but they NEED to do do something with this ROLLED UP SANDWHICH BAG WITH SCOTCH TAPE. Enough said about the packaging.

This is another great Tobacco coming from Perettis. Its a medium in strength tobacco can be smoked daily. For those who love orientals which I do. The Portions of Orientals is alot this maybe could be consider as a Balkan. it has that sensation from your lips that only comes from alot of oriental tobacco. Although I should not compare tobaccos but this beats all the Mcclellands Grand Oriental lines. Only draw back is the Room and your skin note is a bit musty. I smoked this Outside and when I walked in the house my wife and even my 2 dogs was barking at me to take a shower or change my shirt.

BladeSmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BladeSmith (4)
Medium Medium Mild Strong

I received Some Royal Blend and first I noticed a really nice fire cured smell. I've smoked lot's of different tobacco's and I also grow tobacco. if Peretti made cigarrettes Camel would be in trouble.

It's obvious from observing a few samples I received that L.J. Peretti really has high quality tobacco. Also I noticed Royal Blend seems to give me an mellow euphoric high.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This mixture has something special in it that makes it outstanding. There's a slight salty, almost sweat-like tang to the taste and room-note that is out of this world. This is the first blend I've tried that is so delicious and satisfying I simply have to get some more! I am a long time cigar smoker who started smoking pipes in December '08. I've tried several Peterson aromatics and other Peretti American and English blends and this is the first one that just blew me away!

Fantastic!

UPDATE 09/11/10: I just finished another bag of this stuff which means I've smoked two in the intevening years since my initial review. I still find this to be an OUTSTANDING oriental from first to last puff and bowl. An excellent, excellent blend I could smoke all the time except I'm still sampling blends from all over.

Of interest: Perretti says this and Oriental #40 are their closest blends to the mythical, long-lost Balkan Sobtranie.

straightgrain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
straightgrain (6)

The first Peretti tobacco I tried was their British mixture which I didn't enjoy as much as this one.

Without trying to stir anything up, I'd consider this more of a Balkan blend (Orientals from Greece and Turkey dominate) than an English blend (Latakia dominates).

Most Balkan mixtures I've smoked start out with the taste of Orientals (Greek, Turkish, etc.) and finish with the taste of Latakia (Syrian/Cyprian), this was just the opposite and it took me bit by surprise.

Royal starts out slightly sweet & mildly smoky with the taste of Latakia, around mid bowl the Orientals kick in and stay till the end, finishing with the dusty/leathery taste of the Orientals. It can burn your tongue if smoked too fast.

Room note is of Orientals not Latakia

JazzSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JazzSmoke (37)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The only Balkan blend that I smoke these days. Yes, it reminds me of the Sobranie's Original Mixture but I certainly don't mistake it for that classic blend.

Love the type of leaf used and the proportions. This tobacco is fairly smooth and cool smoking for me but it does contains a light colored virginia base. So it can smoke too hot if drawn too hard.

I have a one year old tin and aging these Peretti blends does help diminish the rough edges like it would any others.

Update:

As much as I like this blend I've given up on it. This tobacco always gets too hot about 5 minutes into a pipefull. It's a shame because I love the components, it's aroma in the tin and while burning. It's just too damn hot.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This reminds me of their British Blend with a little bit more oopmh... I think the British Blend is great for lazy mornings, this has a bit more meat to it and is good for later in the day or after meals. I recently tried Omega... only had one bowl but it was a tad too sweet for me. Too soon to tell for sure. I was told that British, Royal, and Omega are basically the same tobaccos with different ratios, and they claim that Omega is the strongest, but from my tasting so far I'd say Royal one-ups the Omega. But again, too soon to be totally sure on that one.

Royal is definitely a winner and I plan to keep good amounts of both British and Royal on hand in the future.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Royal Blend reminds me of what many a Balkan used to be,15 years ago. This one is quite full and rich as the name Royal Blend implies.

Appearance: Upon very close inspection I can detect at least 5 different hues of leaf in this mixture Red and Lemon Virginias are in abundance, darker browns of Oriental with nearly jet black Latakia. The cut is a somewhat varied rough ribbon cut.

Tin aroma: This is one the most complex mixture I have ever encountered. It immediately says ?Balkan? in a very rich and full variety. The Virginias are evident, with rich earthy tones and under-currents of fig/raisin and cocoa. The smoky Cyprian Latakia makes the main statement, complex and enticing, plenty of smokiness with underlying astringent tones of bergamot and sandalwood. Just under the surface I detect the Orientals giving the mixture?dryness? and lending even greater depth to the mélange of flavors. Finally, we have what is said to be a large amount of Yenidje.

This tobacco is nearly perfect in moisture and I employed the ?once like a baby, once like a lady, finally like a gentleman? method of layered packing.

Lighting usually is easy, and with a friendly ?lighting tamp? I was well on my way. As expected, the initial flavor is very smoky with an astringent (very gently so) quality I?ve come to expect from Orientals. Latakia and Orientals tend to live ?nasally? for me, so I often employ the ?French curve? method of inhaling the slipstream smoke. The Virginias and Yenidje set a firm background and foundation on which the Latakia and Orientals build. This blend slowly builds in flavors and complexity with each puff.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build and the flavors gaining intensity in unison. The initial strength of the Latakia is slowly giving way to other components, the Orientals slowly numbing (not at all in a bad way) my soft pallet and nasal regions. Flavors and scents of bergamot and sandalwood, leather and smoke are abundant and rich. The Virginia comes through a bit more assertively from time to time with rich fruity and sweet tones. Each mouthful is slightly different and unexpected tones creep gently in from time to time. Royal Blend is complex almost in the extreme, requiring my full attention. Somehow it remains subtle and constantly changing it is a contemplative smoke.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, I?m pleasantly taken to that place far from the daily grind and it's troubles. The fullness and character of this blend really come into their own during this final stretch. The Virginias have deepened to a wine like goodness and the Latakia and Oriental has widened yielding leather and forest tones. While not particularly strong in nicotine the final third of the bowl is far fuller in flavors and depth than one might expect from where the blend begins. Layer upon layer of flavor develop and by the home stretch I can't imagine wanting more. Royal Blend finds the perfect balance of refinement and power, is never harsh and has plenty to satisfy even the most discerning of palates.

Peretti are one of the oldest tobacconists in the United States. They have a fine lineup of English/Balkan mixtures.

Supplemental Notes: In my humble opinion, Pirette's offer fine blends that stand side by side with GLP and other top blenders of our time. Rating for those interested in numbers **+

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Another winner from L.J.'s. The blend is a ribbon-cut that packs easily and seldom needs a re-light. The Yenidje leaf definitely interplays with the Virginia and Oriental throughout the course of the smoke, gaining intensity toward the second-half, never in a cloying or overpowering manner. I seldom need more than one relight if I tamp as I go. It burns to a nice white ash without a moisture issue.

I like to smoke this blend in one of my older Charatan, "Extra Large" pipes with a good cup of black Kenyan coffee. A Great "End of the Day" smoking experience.

=I feel the need to update my measure of this blend. I do find this blend to be more of a "Balkan" than an "English" type. However, after sampling various balkan blends over the past several years, I am always drawn back to this blend. While I still enjoy several of the McClelland Orientals, this is my first choice of this genre.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)

This is the first Peretti blend I have tried. I ordered this because its description includes some yenidje tobacco, which of course was one of the condiment tobaccos in Balkan Sobranie 759. Apparently the yenidje is the light olive green ribbons, because this blend had that also.

Like all of the Peretti blends in my order, this is a ribbon tobacco that comes quite dry. The ribbons in some of these blends are on the longish side and need to be broken down somewhat for best packing. Burning qualities are excellent. I noticed that I was lighting this less often than some of my regulars. The flavor is of medium latakia with some of the condimental tobaccos, presumably the yenidje, producing some interesting flavors. The Virginia element is not particularly strong. The bowl starts out a little bitter, but then evens out and builds flavor to the bottom. It produces a fine white ash and leaves almost no dottle.

This is an excellent tobacco that I'm sure will find a place in my rotation.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild None Detected Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

through the kindness of a fellow pipe smoker, i recently received samples of all 14 of the perretti english blends. the first one i tried was the royal blend, and if the others are as good as this one, mr. perretti has a customer for life! royal blend is a very attractive tobacco. ribbons of yellow leaf are interspersed with several shades of brown and black leaf. the pouch aroma is sour, and probably the only unappealing quality of this blend. but we buy our tobacco to smoke, not sniff, right? royal blend packs easily, and lighting is no problem, with a minimum of relights. the moisture level of the tobacco seems just right. it burns down to a very fine grey ash. no pipe cleaners were needed while smoking, and one pass afterwards with a little everclear cleaned the stem and bowl nicely. and now the best part; this is one of the finest mild to medium english blends i have ever tasted! the virginias, oriental, and turkish tobaccos compliment each other perfectly, with a creamy taste that finishes with a pleasant spicy tang from the turkish right at the bottom of the bowl. the best comparison i can make is to C&D plantation evening, another of my favorites . both share the same appearance and flavor, with perhaps a slight edge going to the royal blend. 4 stars to L. J. Perretti and their royal blend. i can hardly wait to try the others!!