A truly outstanding tobacco blended in the old Scottish Tradition, developing an unusual mellow mist.

BrandPeretti
Contents
Strength
Taste
Full

robo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robo (6)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Pride Of Loch Lomond is an excellent smoke. I recommend that those who enjoy a full, tasty tobacco try this one. Through this website I learned about Peretti's in Boston and have been trying many of their blends,

This is my favorite so far. Big and Bold. A great smoke. Try it, you will enjoy it. My complements.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

This blend starts off with the taste of the Orientals dominating, then a wonderful complexity kicks in. The beauty in the blend is that after the first light you can never pick out exactly which component (Latakia, Orientals, Virginias, Perique) is orchestrating the smoke, they just all play together in glorious harmony. P.O.L.L. shines in several other departments, too. It's short cut packs easily and stays lit. It encourages slow smoking to maximize enjoyment of this wondrous weed. It burns clean down to the bottom of the bowl and leaves no dottle. I'm kind of guesstimating on the room note, my wife recently quit smoking and doesn't like for me to smoke while she's in the house. Considering the quality of tobacco you are getting, I think the price is very reasonable, too. This and Peretti's British Blend are on my short list of favorite tobaccos. Bravo, Robert Peretti!

Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Based on a 1 oz sample. Speckled brown and black with a bag aroma of orientals. Tough one to rate because it's not a strong blend to me, nor is it full in flavor. I found this one to be full in body which made it seem richer than it really tasted. It's a very satisfying smoke, which very well might mean it's high in nicotine, but I didn't notice any overabundance. But it struck me as being as easy to smoke in the morning (as I am now!) as in the evening, which to me signifies a blend that is neither full flavored nor overly strong. But still rich in body, if that makes any sense.

The orientals are front and center throughout the smoke, as they are in most Scottish blends. Very aromatic orientals, too, as the room note in this one is absolutely mouth-watering. The Virginias ride shotgun and provide their tang and slight sweetness throughout the journey, while the latakia and perique are lightly applied and just sort of keep the whole thing together. There are wisps of both (or one or the other) from time to time and they keep things interesting. I liked this one but for my personal taste I would have preferred more sweetness. A little dark Cavendish would probably have helped me, or some sweeter Virginias. I may get more of this and doctor it a bit. But on its own, it struck me as a very nice example of traditional Scottish blending from an excellent blending house. I bought several Peretti blends, as I'd like to get to know this blender better. I recommend this one for those who like dark tasting, non sweet oriental blends. Not destined for my rotation but it has an excellent base I can build upon.

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Another great smoke from Peretti's. I live in Boston and started smoking through their catalogue several years ago. I really enjoyed this smoke but have to say it is not one of my favorites. All the reviews are correct when they say the balance of the various tobaccos is excellent. The flavor is strong, smooth and rich. Just when you thought you have smoked every variation of oriental/latkia/ perique this mix comes along. The Orientals are the main taste. The latakia and perique are very subtle and save the blend from becoming dulled by the rich orietal flavor. The taste of the latakia and perique are very light and the blend is interesting because those flavors come and go in the smoke. I notice the latakia more in the room note than in the actual smoking of the bowl flavor.

Because I really like a stronger latakia presence, I will give POLL a highly subjective "three stars" instead of four. The blend will easily get 4 if it hits your sweet spot. A solid performing all day, every day smoke.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (68)

It is true, If it's not Scottish it's crap, and this my friend's is Scottish to a fare thee well. This blend starts of with a smokey punch and keeps going. The orientals move to the forefront for me, with the the sweet and smokey tobaccos moving in at the edges. I smoke it any time of day and in all places from my smoking room, my barn, the hills and the fields. It's great everywhere. In the same great family as Rattrays Black MAllory and Compton's Reserve 21. Not for weak kneed sasenachs.

shihan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shihan (22)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

What can I say. BIG, BOLD, BEAUTIFUL. Everything I like about smoking. A tobacco I keep on hand at all times. Peretti, you have made me a very happy man.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This blend, being Scottish, reminded me of the old SNL skit where Michael Myers, as proprietor of the store, ?All Things Scottish,? would bark at his customers, ?If it ain?t Scottish, it?s CRAP!? I don?t think Michael Myers ever smoked Pride of Loch Lomond. This is one Scottish blend where ?moor? was less. My experience with the ?Loch? was strange and unique. I thoroughly enjoyed its subtle complexity?.for the first half of several bowls I smoked. But once I reached the second half of the bowl in different pipes on different days, this blend turned south on me. It grew a bit harsh, somewhat bitter, became bland and the ?nip? creeped in. This is also one of the few blends I had to toss out before I could finish my two-ounce sample. Maybe it?s just me but I?ll stick with Peretti?s ?British Blend.? Although an English, it is far superior to the Loch.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 6.5 out of 10.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

I have been going to this tobacconist in Boston for over twenty years now and this is just one of those blends I never got around to trying...until this afternoon that is. Wow, what a delightfully smooth, full-tasting, refreshing blend. It was explained to me that the blend is comprised of: Virginia, Oriental, Latakia and Perique. The proportions are Superb. The appearace is black and darker brown, short english-cut tobacco. The scent is a faint earthy one with a hinting of the latakia and perique. It packs easily and did not need a re-light. As I progressed down the bowl all the flavor melded together with a slight increase in a clean, citrus-like note. The latakia and perique are quite appparent, but in a complimentary manner rather than an overpowering presence. This blend burned all the way to the bottom and left a fine grey/white ash. No wet-heel from this blend. A really "Nice" Blend.

It keeps getting better everytime I smoke it!