Rich and full flavored, it is ideal for relaxing in the evening after a fine meal. This blend is pleasantly spiced with the gentle flavor of Latakia and superb Turkish.

BrandPeretti
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Taste
Full

3.6
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Rejoice nicoholics! - Finally, a true English blend loaded with Vitamin N and flavor boosters from top to bottom. I loaded up a bowl last night after getting home from attending a local boxing fight night in our city's convention center. I saw a couple of technical knockouts on the card but did not expect to come home and get KO'd by my tobacco. This is one very strong, deep, spicy and earthy blend. It burned dry and clean all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

If there is a sleeper English blend on the market, it would be Omega. Highly recommended for the nicotine craved English tobacco fans among us.

Now, if I can just add a quick personal note. I have been reviewing tobaccos on TRC since the site's inception. It has been a lot of fun over the years and I sure met a lot of great folks through this site and have enjoyed conversing with them. I have chosen Omega to be my last ever review (review number 1,000 and Omega is the perfect name to end with). It's time to move on down the trail and quit hoggin' all the cyber space here on TRC. I will certainly continue to sneak over here just about everyday to read the latest reviews. And thanks to all of you who have helped steer me toward some mighty tasty blends over the years!

God bless,

Pipestud

Peretti's Omega is really a hidden gem. For me, this English blend is all about the Latakia and Turkish tobaccos with the Virginia's just playing a supporting role. The result is a “meaty,” but creamy blend that is really balanced. So many “full” English blends are dominated by the Latakia and the Latakia is certainly present here but not in the role of dominator as it leaves plenty of room for the Turkish to offer a nice incense addition to the smoke. The Turkish is really what hooks me into this blend. Omega has some strength to it too but it is not overpowering like a rope or plug. As a point of reference to well-known American made English blends, I find it much closer to a Pease style English blend rather than the McClelland style English blend. Omega is one of those great, “after a big steak dinner” English blends from one of America's oldest pipe shops.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

Omega reminds me of what Dunhill London Mixture and 965 used to be,15 years ago.

Appearance: Upon very close inspection I can detect at least 5 different hues of leaf in this mixture Red and Lemon Virginias are in abundance, darker browns of Oriental with nearly jet black Latakia. The cut is a somewhat varied broad ribbon cut.

Tin aroma: Omega is a rich complex mixture, full of the classic leather bergamont and smoke scents many an English/Balkan fancier crave. It immediately says ?Balkan? in a very rich and full variety. The Virginias are evident, with rich earthy tones and under-currents of fig/raisin and cocoa. The smoky Cyprian Latakia makes the main statement, complex and enticing. Just under the surface I detect the Orientals giving the mixture?dryness? and lending even greater depth to the mélange of flavors.

This tobacco is nearly perfect in moisture and I employed the ?once like a baby, once like a lady, finally like a gentleman? method of layered packing. I tend to pack it gingerly and with a lighter hand as the broad ribbon cut is easily over-packed. I have chosen an Edwards ½ bend Dublin dedicated to English/Balkan mixtures, and have smoked three previous bowls of Omega to reduce ?brand prejudice?.

Lighting usually is easy, and with a friendly ?lighting tamp? I was well on my way. As expected, the initial flavor is a nice rich smoky blast highlighted by a slight astringent (very gently so) quality from the Orientals. Latakia and Orientals tend to live ?nasally? and frequent exhalations of the smoke bring the palate fully awake. The Virginias with a fruity sweetnes set a firm background and foundation on which the Latakia and Orientals build. This blend slowly builds in flavors and complexity with each puff. The rich fullness of this blend is evident from the tamping light onwards.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build and the flavors gaining intensity in unison. The initial strength of the Latakia is slowly giving way to other components, the Orientals slowly numbing my soft pallet, flavors and scents of bergamot and sandalwood, leather and smoke are abundant and rich. The Virginia comes through a bit more assertively from time to time with rich fruity and sweet tones. The second half of every bowl is a rich and completely intoxicating afair, soothing away the troubles of our modern world with flavors from a kinder gentler time. Omega is complex almost in the extreme, requiring my full attention, yet gentle and well behaved, never biting back or becoming bitter.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, I?m fully relaxed and smiling deeply. The Virginias have deepened to a wine like goodness and the Latakia and Oriental has widened yielding forest tones with leather and spice. Layer upon layer of flavor develop and by the home stretch I'm at that place all English/Balkan smokers desire to go while smoking. While not particularly strong in nicotine the final third of the bowl is far fuller in flavors and depth than one might expect from where the blend begins. Omega is truly a special blend finding perfect balance of refinement and power, is never harsh and has plenty to satisfy even the most discerning of palates.

Peretti are one of the oldest tobacconists in the United States. They have a fine lineup of English/Balkan mixtures.

Supplemental Notes: In my humble opinion, Peretti's offer fine blends that stand side by side with GLP and other top blenders of our time. Rating for those interested in numbers **+

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another Peretti's blend that somehow over the years I just never got around to trying. Well, upon awakening this Christmas Morn' my wife had purchased me a one pound tin on the advice of my regular tobacconist at L.J.'s, (Thanks Steve!)

What a delightful, full, spicey, blend in the English Tradition. It requires very few relights and the flavor maintains itself the run of the bowl.

The Virginia's anchor this blend while the orientals and latakia interplay throughout the smoke. The flavor is very smooth, spicey, and deceptively strong in the nicotine department. It burns dry and consistent to the end.

I highly recommend this blend to the experienced smoker; new smokers, just go slowly.

Update: I have to bump this great blend up to four stars after cracking open a two year old tin.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A nice full English with a respectable amount of Nic, didn't blow my head off though. Came dry, perfect for immediate light up. Very smooth, very tasty, the latakia seemed to dominate a little more than the other components, but a very sound blend.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It seems like a sacrilege to follow Pipestud's last review, but somebody had to do it. Thank you Pipestud for all your great reviews and sage advice over the years. Nice to still see you on eBay now and again.

Omega is a truly great tobacco. If I were to make an architectural comparison, I would say it is like the Empire State building. This is a BIG tobacco - big as life, full of flavor, depth, and complexity. Did I mention BIG? You had better plan on taking some time to contemplate with this one. And I suggest you pass if you are in the mood for something light, sweet, and fluffy. Omega provides a wonderful play of flavors between the VA, Turkish, and big Latakia presence, all wonderfully balanced but in a strong and sturdy way. There will be no doubt that you have had a serious smoke when this baby has gone to ashes - and yet it is a sad realization that the bowl is over.

Peretti makes great blends, and this could be the crowning achievement. I recommend Omega in a LARGE bowl pipe for maximum duration and enjoyment. Highly recommended.

ah1502 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ah1502 (6)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As others have said, the detailed reviews are dead on. A great smoke with an exceptional burn; hardly any relights at all.

Smoky, spice, woodsy taste. Never bitter with a good shot of nicotine. Elicits a slow, contemplative and relaxing smoke.

I am really enjoying Peritti's blends. If you haven't tried any, you owe yourself.

SiChange Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SiChange (14)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

As smooth as a baby's bottom. In the first tier of full English blends.

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like Cambridge Flake and Tashkent, but they're more about the Orientals. Omega is Peretti's best balanced lat blend. This is a good duet between the Orientals and the Latakia, with the Virginia singing backup and binding everything into a cohesive whole.

Nice Cyprian smoke and tangy sour notes share the spotlight. No bursts of Va sweetness, and the Latakia gives no leather, but the balance between smoky and sour is really excellent. This isn't a "total package" tobacco the way Penzance is, but it's damn good and one lat blend lovers should sample. I think it's good enough to keep on hand, and while it maybe isn't quite a four star for me, it's in a small group of really good three stars. Good stuff.

derlict311 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
derlict311 (67)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Working my way through several different Peretti blends. Omega is my second favorite after the wonderful RB. Similar to Royal Blend in strength and complexity, and then a little tweek in it's taste, for me. Still a good Balkan. Recommended.

Trumpetboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trumpetboy (13)

After a three year hiatus, coming back to this one made me realize just how good this tobacco is. The Turkish leaf has a subtle but definite presence, and the result is a little bit different to me than a medium or full Balkan type mixture, but in a positive way. The fine, deep taste of the Latakia is enhanced by the Turkish spice and the smooth backbone of the Virginias--I love this as a slight change from a straight Balkan mixture. I find it smoother than LM. Highly Recommended!

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)

Again, Kilted1 from his review in 2005 is dead on. This reminds me of Dunhill London Blend as well. The characteristics are generally the same. You can tell that it ISN"T London Blend, but it IS its long lost brother that bears a stricking resemblance.

The 6 years between his and my reviews, again, speaks to the consistency that is the rule with Peretti blends. 4 stars! It all comes together for me in this one.

Cheers!

jonapurcell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jonapurcell (4)
Very Strong Mild Full Pleasant

To date the BEST tobacco available on the planet--PERIOD!!

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (83)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

A very nice variation on an English/latakia blend. The latakia is central and present throughout but not overwhelming. The turkish tobaccos have a rich taste under the latikia. As I smoked my way through the bag this blend tasted better and better. Make no mistake this is a satisfying and strong blend!

Though I really enjoyed this blend, I can't give it the highest rating because it just misses my subjective, four-star sweet spot.

How about 3.5!

I found this to be a nice English at middle of the road with regard to strength/body. This blend lights well and smokes cooly, especially considering that Peretti usually sends their baccy out drier than many other shops. I find a nice layering effect when toward the bottom of the bowl. Definitely complex enough to focus one's attention on the pipe and not reading or listening to music as I am wont to do. For me the latakia was a big player and I would love to get some of this and add perique.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Another winner from Peretti! This is a straight English blend, no frills, just V-O-L and pretty damn good ones! The orientals are definitely the first note you taste, deep, pungent with the latakia initially in the background and coming out strongly around halfway down. The Virginias build the meat, providing a little sweetness and lots of weight: definitely not a breakfast tobacco but a perfect after-dinner.

benhur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
benhur (5)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Omega is the final letter of the Greek alphabet and also a sign of excellence, perhaps a fitting name for a blend ?ideal for relaxing in the evening after a fine meal.? To me, this blend is best smoked outdoors on a cool, clear day. I personally find the (Dubeck?) oriental leaf a bit overwhelming when smoked indoors, but I tend to prefer a more traditional English tobacco to the bold Balkan style typified by Omega. In summary, I would recommend this blend to the lover of oriental leaf (it has lots of Latakia too) and bold, assertive blends. This is not for those who prefer Virginas or VA-based blends.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

number 2 in my adventure with the fine blends of LJ Perretti is their very full english blend "omega". so far, i'm VERY impressed with the efforts of this traditional Boston tobacconist. omega is a mixture of light and dark flakes with a somewhat strong pouch aroma. it packs and lights easily, and requires a minimum of relights while smoking. it burns down to a medium gray/black ash, all the way to the bottom of the bowl. my wife reports a pleasant room note, although it should be remembered that she is a VERY tolerant lady who lets me smoke pirate kake in the house! on first light, there is no doubt that this is a STRONG tobacco, in flavor and perceived nicotine strength. the dominant theme seems to be the turkish tobaccos, which separates it from other high latakia full english blends. there is a slight cigar note to this blend that i find very appealing. the finish has a spicy flavor that tickles your taste buds. much as i like it, this one is too stout for an all-day smoke. with a good dark beer, it's at its' best. three stars for omega, with the caveat that this is a stout blend, probably not for the new smoker. once again, i salute the blending talents of the tobacconists at LJ Perretti. now back to the sample packs.... it's a thankless job, etc., etc....

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is the most overlooked and underrated blend in the world, in my opinion.

I'm not the most articulate and verbose guy you'll meet - all I'll say is that if you haven't tried this fine, classic, full english then you're missing out on one of the best.

God Bless Jefferey Jackson for sending me my first tin of this for Christmas several years ago. A friend could do no other friend a finer deed.

Simply Wonderful.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

A winner from Peretti. I ordered 7 different English blends to try. All of the blends come surprisingly dry for ribbon/flake mixtures. I suspect that many might be put off by the dryness, but it worked for me. I found that Omega burned quite well, but the flavor can become overwhelming if smoked in a really large pipe (Nicotine Buzz!).

This is a somewhat strong and smoky latakia blend that will satisfy those looking for a full English blend. No real surprises in the flavor, just good, strong English tobacco.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Pouch Aroma: In the pouch, this tobacco has a smoky, campfire smell, due, no doubt, to the Latakia in the blend. Evident also is the much-discussed ?horse bedding? aroma of the Turkish leaf.

Appearance: This tobacco made up of predominantly (60%?) brown, medium-cut leaves. The remainder seems equally divided between black and blond leaves, also medium-cut. The quality of the leaf is very good, with no sticks or stems in evidence.

This tobacco, a two oz. lot, came a couple of months ago in a plastic bag without the zip-lock type of enclosure. (It was rolled and taped.) I put it into a zip-lock sandwich bag, and then tossed it into my ?cellar,? which is a box in the closet. I mention this because the tobacco is not overly dry after a couple of months stored in this less-than-ideal fashion, but just right for smoking. This may be an indication that the tobacco may be shipped a little wet. The data is, of course, insufficient.

Initial flavor: The first flavor to come through is it tangy, spicy Turkish tobacco. It plays a subtle, piquant note across the entire palate, which is quickly followed by the cool, smoky taste of the Latakia. There is also a very subtle sweetness, which must be Virginia tobaccos making their presence known.

Mid bowl: A very full and complex flavor has developed, heavier now on the Latakia, then on the Turkish, with the Virginias adding structure and depth. This is a very solid blend.

Finish: The tobacco burns down to the bottom of the bowl with few re-lights, leaving a goodly amount of dark gray ash. There is a not-unpleasant metallic aftertaste owing to the piquant Turkish component of this blend and the taste buds are a bit numbed by the Latakia.

Summary: This is a high-quality blend that will be sure to satisfy the English smoker. The taste of many Latakia blends can be described as "creamy," but not this one. This one is best described as "spicy," owing to the solid presence or the Turkish tobaccos. True to the catalogue description, it is rich, flavorful, and very enjoyable. I don?t save this one for after dinner, though. I smoke it all day.

Highly recommended.