Truly the world's finest aromatic tobacco. A smooth blend created to be the one unique tobacco of our collection. Its aroma and mildness stand alone among tobaccos.

BrandPeretti
Contents
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
girlypipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
girlypipes (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have the fortune of working across the street from Peretti--i know you are jelous, its okies--. After seeing the reviews for the no name I asked to smell some at the store. When I was asked if I wanted some I said what the heck throw in an ounce. Let me tell you boys and girls its a stinker in the bag, no doubt about it. Its strong enough that started smelling up the other tobacco I had in the bag so I had to take the other stuff out of the bag. It does mellow out a lot in the bowl. yes its floral but nowhere near as strong as you would expect from the pouch smell. So give it a chance. I love it. As far my novice nose can tell the floral steps boldly forward with some herbal notes and nuttiness as well. It also burns very very well, do go slow on the puffing though cause it can get tripsy quickly. It requires very little effort to keep lit and its really pleasant for an after work relaxing puff.I think it would be very nice with some nice brandy. I would not smoke it to start the day though. Its an after dark blend. I did buy a cob for it because it will stink up the pipe. This pipe will only be used for this blend and that's cool with me cause I'm going to make this my favorite end of day blend. I loved it.I will say that I'm very very new to pipe tobacco. I used to smoke cigars and smoked nothing but deep maduros soo maybe this has influenced my tolerance of the strength of this blend. its heady, full, floral with some herbal notes and nuttiness but it mellows out in the bowl, it also needs few relights and burns clean through. it is ribbon cut so easy to pack.

Medium Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Peretti's No Name has no name because the refined and staid folks in England didn't think that HOLY CRAP was dignified enough (although quite fitting) for this one.

There was a flood going on in the Lakelands when No name was invented. You got a friend who "loves those Lakeland tobaccos?" Well, let that pal suck on this one for awhile and lets see what he says.

Before I finished my bowl I was tip toeing through the tulips with Tiny Tim and looking desperately for the exit sign. Unfortunately, it stayed lit well and I never needed a relight. I do need an ambulance. The Pipestud is on Lakeland overdose.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (84)
Medium Extra Strong Medium Pleasant

I don't know if this is one of the world's finest aromatics but it is one of the strangest.

First off, the strange soapy-floral casing was so powerful at the start that it stank out one of my trusty briars and I had to switch to a cob for a while. Initially, the casing was so strong and overpowering I didn't really like it. There is no exagerating when the taste is described as soapy, cheap perfume.

Oddlly, I persevered and the strange taste began to grow on me. I keep my open bags and tins in an airtight container so usually there is not a big difference in flavor with a blend over a month or so. However, the floral flavor of No Name noticeably wore off over the month. Half way through the month I enjoyed No-Name the best. At present, the flavoring is almost slight and the taste of the burley predominates. At the start, you couldn't tell what the underlying tobacco was.

This weird floral casing is apparently an old school aromatic and I have now tasted it from other tobacco houses. (Sam Gawith Grousemoor comes to mind with a virginia instead of burley base.)

I think this blend is well worth a try but I am not sure I'll be trying it again for a while. Still, I think one of these days might get a hankering for this weird flavor. And I never would if I hadn't tried it. I should also note that I am not a big burley fan but sometimes I like a bit of the burl.

Medium Very Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

L. J. Peretti makes some fine blends, but this isn't one of them. It is true that this aromatic is from a bygone era, but the soap taste and smell are beyond my ability to tolerate. There are lots of tobacco's that leave a "ghost" in the bowl. No Name goes way beyond that to the point that I think this can ruin a pipe. I suggest smoking it in a cob. The taste is not awful, but if I want the change of pace with an aromatic I think that there are many other fine aromatics in the marketplace. Maybe there's a reason why this is from a bygone era?

UPDATE: 10/5/11 After a couple of years away from this blend, I was given a small sample to "re-try" and I must admit that this one is still very strange, and soap at a strength beyond any Lakeland, but in a cob, its not as bad a my first 2oz. bag two years ago. Bumping it up a star.

DrBoB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrBoB (7)
Medium Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This aromatic has a very strong perfume&soapy scent. Both pouch aroma and when smoked. It will leave a perfume ghost in a briar that lasts at least 3 or 4 bowls beyond initial smoking. As mentioned in other reviews: this is a flavor and style from a bygone era and I haven't smelled a similar type of smoke since I was a young boy back in the early 60's. If you are looking for something really different: give this one a try. The perfume smell reminds me of fabric softener dryer sheets and lingers long after the pipe is smoked. As an experiment, I mixed 1/2 ounce of Pipesandcigars.com "Butternut burley" with a couple pinches of noname and it was much less overpowering and more pleasant to my palate. So, I will probably be using my sample of noname as a burley mixing element rather than smoking it straight-up. It is worth getting an ounce or two just for the experience of tasting this type of aromatic even if you don't smoke it every day.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

No Name exemplifies the old style of aromatic pipe tobaccos: burley-based with some sort of strange, soapy/perfumey topping. These blends haven't been in style for decades, and many detest them (see the reviews for Mixture No. 79 for further evidence). Some of the Lakeland blends offer similarly antiquated pleasures.

I happen to love No Name, and Mr. Peretti's description of it indicates that he is justifiably proud of having created it. It's mostly cubed burley with a little pinch of Virginia. It smells heavily scented in the tin, and its physical characteristics make it beautiful to behold even before you've filled your pipe.

I like to smoke No Name in cobs and simply dip the bowl into the tin, scoop up the tobacco, and tamp lightly. Being burley, this blend is relatively strong on the nicotine (which I like), but easy on the tongue. Its aromatic topping is a powerful mixture of floral, soapy, and perfumey scents. I can smoke it all day long.

No Name also has the virtue of being remarkably consistent. Talk about quality control: 86-year-old Robert Peretti still hand blends every ounce of his house tobaccos. This is one of his masterpieces.

Punchy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Punchy (19)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I love Peretti blends, each has a unique flavor and complexity.

No Name is certainly unique and wow is it ever aromatic. This is a burley based blend with some virginia in a granular cut presentation. The topping is not fruity nor is it of the vegetable variety. It is quite a unusual, almost perfumey. Packs easily, burns to the bottom, and is not goopey.

If you're the experimental type, give it a try