This is one of our most unusual blends. A combination of all black tobaccos, formidable to look at, but it is mild and smooth with rich full spicy flavor.

BrandPeretti
ContentsVirginia, Black Cavendish, Perique, Latakia
Strength
Taste
2.7
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

The latakia is very smokey, and woodsy, but overwhelms the Virginia to the point that you hardly notice it. I prefer blends with more balance, which is why I only grant it two stars. There's virtually no complexity here, and the spice from the perique is barely talking to me during the smoke. I get very little sweetness from the cavendish or the stoved Virginia. If this fits your flavor profile, you'll probably rate it higher than I have, and I wouldn't blame you if you did. It is a good blend only if you have the desire for strong, latakia dominant mixtures. More of a two and half star blend than a two, but I don't like it enough to give it three stars, though I will admit the ingredients are quality.

takkun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
takkun (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I picked this up at the Peretti store here in Boston. A friend recommended me, and I inadvertently found it downtown next to the common. I thought it was in the financial district. The guys in there were shocked that I have been smoking VAs and VAPers for a while but never tried an english. They quickly packed me up some and gave me an extra pipeful to have in-store. They were great and hanging around in there for an hour was a real joy after an excruciating day.

I'm hooked. What I am told is that this is a blend of latakia and perique with a base of cavendished virginias. 'cavendished' as in the stoved and pressed kind, not the over-processed black cavendish style. The tin note reflected this and the latakia with a slightly pungent odor with a hint of fruitiness one gets with a darker virginia.

Upon lighting, I mostly noticed the latakia....dark and smoky, very campfire-like. This was backed up by the light sweetness of the cavendish base. Not quite a straight virginia, but much more mellow. I could taste fruity notes that would pop every so often. I couldn't really pick out perique, but it still was a delightful mix.

As the bowl progressed, the virginias made themselves more known, but didn't dominate. It stayed well-balanced.

I had a few re-lights, but I think that was more me fumbling with packing than the tobacco. It gave me a thick, full smoke that I'd never seen before.

This would best be described as creamy and smoky, with a rich body. Delicious.

Mongo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mongo (10)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Midnight lives up to its name. Open the can, and the light seems to get sucked into the tobacco. It's not only black, but much of it is flat black. It's an attractive tobacco, in a "dangerous attraction" kind of way.

The texture of the blend is something like a combination of small ribbon cut and broken crumble cake. The tobacco's easy to pack: Just drizzle it into the bowl until it's overflowing then use the ball of your thumb to pack down whatever tobacco was above the top of the bowl. You won't get it all in, but you will end up with a well packed bowl

This blend lights with a few matches, and burns pretty well. This one needs the occasional relight, but it's not overly fussy. Pipe cleaners inserted to wick up moisture will come out with very dark stains on them. You'll want to dispose of these quickly. You'll have a few relights near the bottom of the bowl if you want to smoke all of the tobacco.

The flavor profile is simple and straight-forward: Cavendish sweetness and Latakia smokiness. There's a bit of a few other things here, like the flavor stoved Virginias, but those are all very much in the background. The Cavendish brings its sweetness, and the Latakia adds some smokiness, and that's about it. The blend doesn't change much as the bowl progresses. It is what it is.

I keep some of this around, because sometimes I want a Latakia blend that I can smoke while ignoring it. Midnight fits that bill perfectly. It doesn't need any attention or any fuss. Pack it, light it, and smoke it...that's it. For those moments, there's no better tobacco than Peretti's Midnight. For a sit-down-and-pay-attention smoke, there are better choices on the market.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)

A very nice change of pace latakia blend. Very smooth and relaxing. I enjoyed this mix first smoke in the morning and last smoke at night. The type of blend I looked for my bigger pipes to have a good long smoke. Nice latakia taste on the top and a smooth almost nutty taste on the bottom. Not as strong as other latakia blends. I agree with the coment that it is not too complex. There are other prererri latakia blends I enjoy more so I personally feel compelled to rate it just shy of 4 stars. I will certainly get some more. A great compliment to my english blend rotation.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Latakia lovers take notice now! There is a new player on the field and his name is Midnight. This is what C&D's Black Dawg aspired to be. All black,all natural, and absolutely unique. It is 1 of the smoothest Latakia blends on the market. The Perque gives a wonderful TANG to this blend. The cavendish keeps it mellow and the Latakia gives it flavor and strength. Needs to be experienced. Potent and grand! I love it! 4 English stars.

benhur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
benhur (5)

Mid-night is dark, heavy, and relatively sweet (for a natural English mixture). Similar to Dunhill?s Nightcap in spirit, with Latakia, Perique, and Stoved Virginal leaf. I find this blend less complex and a little bit monotone at times. Perhaps a better way of saying this is that the blend is not challenging, it is simply to be enjoyed. Owing to the large amount of Latakia, I find it hard to keep lit. That being said, I think this blend is truly unique and offers flavors not to be found in Latakia dumps like Penzance or Pirate Kake.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Appearance: Very dark, almost dead black mixture of random cut.

Aroma: Very smoky smell of Latakia and a base of slightly sweet Cavendish.

Packing: Pack easily into any normal sized bowl. I tried it in pipes ranging from group 3 through 5.

Lighting: Lights quite easily, sometimes with one match.

Initial flavor: Tastes exactly the way it looks, a smooth background of unflavored Black Cavendish

Mid-bowl: For me, a boring experience. There is just enough flavor to keep me puffing, but it doesn?t vary at all. Burns slowly, very cool and fairly dry

Finish: No change at the end.

Summary: The lack of a significant Oriental component causes this blend to fall short of my preferred range. If that?s a nice way of saying ?I don?t like it?, OK I don?t. Which is a shame, because it is a nicely done blend with high quality.