This is one of our most unusual blends. A combination of all black tobaccos, formidable to look at, but it is mild and smooth with rich full spicy flavor.

BrandPeretti
Blended ByL.J. Peretti
Manufactured ByL.J. Peretti
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
2.6
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

The Cyprian latakia is very smokey, and woodsy, but overwhelms the Virginia to the point that you hardly notice it. There's very little complexity here, and the spicey sweetness from the perique is barely talking to me during the smoke. I get very little sweetness from the sugary black cavendish or the stoved earthy, dark fruit Virginia. The nic-hit is mild to medium. Won't bite or get harsh, though you may experience a hint of the latter if you puff fast in the last quarter of the experience. Burns at a reasonable pace with a consistent flavor. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and needs a few relights. Has a pungent after taste and room note. Not an all day smoke.

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (84)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

One look at the midnight-black tobaccos in this blend and I was salivating. I find that Black Cavendish takes a Virginia-Lat combo to a new level by smoothing it out a bit and adding a bit of sweetness, and the addition of spicy, figgy Perique is very exciting for a Perique lover (me!). It lives up to its promise. I wish the Lat were toned down a bit and the VA a bit more forward, and sweeter. OK, a little more Perique would work, too.

Even so, this is a marvelous smoke. I did not find it monotonous, but deep and rich; the tobacco quality is first boat. Many today seem to have a rather persnickety insistence on "complexity" that "challenges," but I am not offended by a blend whose flavors do not whirl like a carousel. I enjoyed it deeply from start to finish, down to a white ash. Billows -- billows, I tell you -- of deep, rich smoke. The Lat alternately surged and hid, which I rather enjoyed, and the Lat pullbacks brought either the VA or Perique more forward. It has a mildly spicy character, probably due to the Perique, but it's not too spicy for most folks, I think. It's powerful, but smooth. Lat-bombers, look elsewhere. The tin note is smokier than the smoke itself.

The room note is a love it or hate it kind of thing. I liked it, lady not so much. But as she said, she "respected" it. Packed and burned well. If you like Ainglish blends, you should try Midnight.

Mongo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mongo (10)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Midnight lives up to its name. Open the can, and the light seems to get sucked into the tobacco. It's not only black, but much of it is flat black. It's an attractive tobacco, in a "dangerous attraction" kind of way.

The texture of the blend is something like a combination of small ribbon cut and broken crumble cake. The tobacco's easy to pack: Just drizzle it into the bowl until it's overflowing then use the ball of your thumb to pack down whatever tobacco was above the top of the bowl. You won't get it all in, but you will end up with a well packed bowl

This blend lights with a few matches, and burns pretty well. This one needs the occasional relight, but it's not overly fussy. Pipe cleaners inserted to wick up moisture will come out with very dark stains on them. You'll want to dispose of these quickly. You'll have a few relights near the bottom of the bowl if you want to smoke all of the tobacco.

The flavor profile is simple and straight-forward: Cavendish sweetness and Latakia smokiness. There's a bit of a few other things here, like the flavor stoved Virginias, but those are all very much in the background. The Cavendish brings its sweetness, and the Latakia adds some smokiness, and that's about it. The blend doesn't change much as the bowl progresses. It is what it is.

I keep some of this around, because sometimes I want a Latakia blend that I can smoke while ignoring it. Midnight fits that bill perfectly. It doesn't need any attention or any fuss. Pack it, light it, and smoke it...that's it. For those moments, there's no better tobacco than Peretti's Midnight. For a sit-down-and-pay-attention smoke, there are better choices on the market.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)

A very nice change of pace latakia blend. Very smooth and relaxing. I enjoyed this mix first smoke in the morning and last smoke at night. The type of blend I looked for my bigger pipes to have a good long smoke. Nice latakia taste on the top and a smooth almost nutty taste on the bottom. Not as strong as other latakia blends. I agree with the coment that it is not too complex. There are other prererri latakia blends I enjoy more so I personally feel compelled to rate it just shy of 4 stars. I will certainly get some more. A great compliment to my english blend rotation.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Appearance: Very dark, almost dead black mixture of random cut.

Aroma: Very smoky smell of Latakia and a base of slightly sweet Cavendish.

Packing: Pack easily into any normal sized bowl. I tried it in pipes ranging from group 3 through 5.

Lighting: Lights quite easily, sometimes with one match.

Initial flavor: Tastes exactly the way it looks, a smooth background of unflavored Black Cavendish

Mid-bowl: For me, a boring experience. There is just enough flavor to keep me puffing, but it doesn?t vary at all. Burns slowly, very cool and fairly dry

Finish: No change at the end.

Summary: The lack of a significant Oriental component causes this blend to fall short of my preferred range. If that?s a nice way of saying ?I don?t like it?, OK I don?t. Which is a shame, because it is a nicely done blend with high quality.