Made of orange and red Virginia which has a dash of St. James Perique giving it a deep and satisfying flavor. It is a dark matured flake which smokes smooth and cool.

One of the most popular blends in flakes is found here in this Virginia/Perique flake. The orange and lemon virginias provide a nice level of sweetness which is well complimented by the spicy kick of the perique.

BrandPeretti
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Taste
2.7
beano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beano (7)

First, its not a flake. At least not the stuff I got from the store. More of a broken flake. This is an OK smoke, but nothing to write home about. Very mild perique. Lights and smokes fine. Park Square is better IMHO.

Pipe Used: cobs

Like some other reviewers have noted, this is virtually McClelland's #2015. I say "virtually" because there is something slightly different about it, but I'm not certain what that may be. I'm sure hate to hang on whatever the difference may be. The familiar vinegar smell lightly translates into the smoke, but it doesn't annoy me as much as it does in some of the other McClelland blends. The perique is sort-of light, but noticeable and needed to make this blend worthwhile. The sweetness is very pleasant and enjoyable. I do have to dry it some, but once done, smokes well and consistent with very little trouble. It's really more of a two and a half star blend, but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt because, for reasons I just cannot explain, I like this more than the #2015. Maybe I've changed, because I seriously doubt I could tell the difference between the two in a blind taste taste.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)

If you love MC flake (Blackwoods, St James, etc) you are gonna love this stuff...one of my go-to smokes now...great flake done right by the blenders...high quality bacci. I just dry out for a few hours (used to the wait with MC blends) and you are off for pure smoking bliss

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I usually live by the creedo of if it looks like a dog, smells like a dog then it usually is a dog. That's why I think this is McClelland's Bulk 2015. Maybe a different Virginia or maybe a bit more Perique added but it is some iteration of 2015.

I find all broken flakes produced by McClelland to usually be more trouble than they are worth. They arrive overly moist and it takes them forever to dry out due to their thickness. And this one was no exception. You'd be better off putting this blend into a coffee grinder to make it a bit more fine so that it dries out easier. Again too much trouble.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (51)

This is a fine VA flake. This as most tobaccos of this sort is multi-faceted and can please in a variety of ways depending on the rub out or lack of.

Out of the pouch the aroma is reminiscent of Mc Clelland VA's with the ketchup and vinegar over tone in the pouch aroma. London Flake packs nicely and burns well once thoroughly lit. This tobacco is well balanced and has a satisfying VA flavor from top to bottom.

I really like this blend and most likely will add it to my VA rotation from time to time.

Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This mixture does indeed look like a McClelland Virginia blend both with regard to the cut and moisture content. I would, however, be somewhat disappointed if this mixture were actually made by McClelland as I am told on good authority that Peretti hand blends all of their own tobaccos sold in their store under their name, being only one of two tobacco houses in Massachusetts that still do so. Upon opening the can, the perique content becomes very apparent, slightly burning the nostrils but not overpowering. It is a high moisture content tobacco and I have smoked it both by rubbing it out and as it is in the can. It can be somewhat difficult to light and maintain lit when not rubbed, tending to burn very hot and diminishing the subtelties of the blend. Thus, I would recommend at least a little rubbing. I have found it best to pack the bowl so that a medium draw is obtained- too tight and too much lighting is necessary with the consequence described above. Upon lighting, I find it necessary to light, tamp and relight with frequent tamping necessary throughout the smoke for optimum taste. The very top of the bowl can, at times, be a little harsh and I suspect may be a function of the freshness of the tobacco. This harsheness soon disappears and a good melding of the perique and Virginias occurs in the middle and bottom of the bowl. As with any Virginia flake, slow smoking in a bowl free of the residues of other flavors such as Latakia is necessary. I find it smokes best in a medium briar bowl, slightly bent. I have also smoked it in a small bowl meerschaum but find that the meerscahum absorbs too much of the moisture and full taste does not come through. For me, this blend is a rich smoke, with a "woodsy," nutty taste along with, what to me, is that fruity feeling of perique on the tongue. One of my favorite blends, it is somewhat similar of the old Macbarens Golden Extra when it was a combination of Burley and Virginia, with the addition of the Perique. A very high quality blend without added flavorings or casings.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

The smell in the tin is the typical vinegar or catsup of McClelland Va., but slightly muted. I suspect that it was prepared for Peretti's by McClelland because it is almost if not identical to McClelland's #2015. However, it does seem to be a bit smoother and a little less nippy. This is a beautiful Virginia/Perique tobacco. There are no artificial flavors or sweeteners that I can detect. The dominant flavor is the sweetness of a McClelland Virginia flake combined with the tang of Perique at the back of the tongue. If you like Virginia/Perique tobacco and you like McClelland #2015, you will probably find this tobacco a step up. It requires slow, typical Virginia puffing and burns evenly all the way to the dottle with very little tending. However, if price is a consideration, I think you will find #2015 just as satisfying. Paddy.