A fine Scottish blend of richly cured Virginia, plus the smooth subtle sweetness of Perique.

A fine blend of richly cured Virginia with a touch of cigar leaf, plus the spicy sweetness of Perique.

Blended ByL.J. Peretti
Manufactured ByL.J. Peretti
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsCigar Leaf, Perique, Virginia
Medium, Medium to Strong

Based on a 1 oz sample. Quasi-ribbon cut mottled in color with a rich tobacco bag scent. I also picked up a hint of chocolate/toffee in the nose. I expected to smell the cigar leaf but did not.

This is Devonshire with that blend's latakia replaced by a small amount of cigar leaf and perique here. Tasted like the same Virginias, dry and very un-Virginia-like. More of a burley flavor without burleys nuttiness and body. The perique tasted light to me and the cigar leaf was very much in evidence but not overpowering. The cigar leaf was evident in the room note, and the addition of it was just right to my taste buds. Any less and it would have been hard to pick up, any more and it would have overruled the rest of the tobaccos. I'm not a big fan of cigar leaf in pipe tobacco but I couldn't help but wonder how it would taste mingled into a batch of top notch Virginia, such as McClellands. This blend was sort of dry, with not much depth and no complexity. It had a rich natural flavor overall but no jump factor. 2.5 stars for me, but still recommended for those who enjoy a good cigar with their pipe.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (88)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm really beginning to enjoy this blend. I'm new to pipes after smokling cigars for a good ten years and my favorites are Emglish/Balkans blends.

At first I didn't really enjoy Va/Pers but this blend has changed my mind. It's not as flavorful as the english I've smoked but the change of pace is nice and I'm beginning to notice the subtleties.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (77)

Just what I want in a va/per! This is the tobacco equivalent of Rye Whiskey, tasty, sweet, but with an edge. It burnt well, but never got too hot, gaining strength and flavor as the bowl progressed. As with all Peretti blends, it burnt to a fine ash and left the pipe clean. This goes in my 'Outdoor' category with Rattray's Accountant's Mixture and McClelland's Virginia Woods, improving in the field and forest.

Dave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dave (15)

My favorite blends are Virginia with Perique. I especially enjoy Peretti's London Flake, so when I saw Dundee as a Virginia with Perique as well, I had to try it. This is not a flake tobacco. It is more of a ribbon cut and much drier. The scent from the tin is very rich with a very slight hint of chocolate, although I doubt any chocolate is used. It certainly does not taste so in smoking the blend.

The tobacco is a rough ribbon cut and I do find a few stems here and there. Lighting is easy and it burns to a fine grey ash. The taste is not as smooth as a flake and can be rather harsh throughout, but further down in the bowl, the harshness becomes less noticeable and it delivers a very rich, woodsy taste. The Perique is not as noticeable as in other Perique blends I have smoked and I suspect is used rather sparingly. Perhaps it is the way I smoke but I do seem to notice that while the tobbacco is rather dry, moisture collects toward the bottom of the bowl and relighting is often necessary toward the end.

The room scent is very rich, natural and clean.

The more I smoke this blend the more it seems to grow on me and I could well see myself being a more frequent user.