Combines the sweet zest of fine matured Virginia with the rich nutty flavor of Xanthi, Turkish and Latakia. This gives an uncommonly rich flavor and a smooth and zesty smoke.

Here is a combination of two great English traditions. A mixture of Latakia, Turkish and mature Virginia pressed into a flake to provide a unique smoking experience. If you're an English smoker looking to branch out into flakes, this one is for you.

BrandPeretti
Blended ByL.J. Peretti
Manufactured ByL.J. Peretti
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Tolerable

Based on a 1 oz sample, this is a broken flake of darker brown color and a mellow musty and smoky bag aroma. Rather different in scent. Easy to rub and load and once again, drier is better as it brings out more of the tobacco flavor.

This is an oriental-forward Scottish-type flake with a twist. I'm not sure if it's the interplay of latakia with orientals or if there truly is Syrian latakia in here, but I tasted it every bowl. I'm thinking this includes both types of latakia because I smell Cyprian but taste more Syrian. Could be wrong but there is a musty spicy flavor I associate with Syrian lat, but again it could be the orientals. The flavor was rich but fairly mild and easy to smoke... leathery and woody, which are two descriptors that are WAY overused for latakia blends but fit very well to describe this one. A nice spicy character to this one and it reminded me of a well done homemade beef stew with all the flavors coming through at various times. Not sweet and not sour... nothing skewed the balance of this one. A remarkable blend and one headed for my cellar.

parker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
parker (12)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I am a big fan of all the Peretti blends. This is very good.To me an oriental blend but in a flake.Oriental forward with Latakia in the background.Sweet Virginia form a nice base. Unlike their mixtures,this flake arrives quite damp and will benifit from half an hour out of the tin to dry,although it smokes well out of the tin. I like the way that Peretti sells its blends in pound and half pound 'paint tins'. Good for aging, no need to transfer to a jar. Anyone who enjoys virginia or Oriental tobacco should try this. Excellent.

AKSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AKSmoke (18)

This may be my favorite Peretti. The delicate little flakes are mostly dark with sparse tan and light brown streaks throughout. It feels a bit moist, and the rubbed-out tobacco readily clumps together when squeezed between the thumb and fingers. But this lights and burns very well when packed very carefully in a small flake pipe. The tin aroma is primarily dark-sweet, almost molasses-like.

The flavor smoked is honestly very well described in the above "tin description" (bulk only as far as I know). You are immediately greeted with the tangy, zesty sweet Virginia, which maintains the lead throughout. The Orientals very much sing harmony, but they are certainly there, and they wax and wane in intensity. When I'm looking for a latakia punch, Cambridge Flake will not do. But for a really satisfying and complex smoke, it is hard to beat.

As a disclaimer, I have special memories attached to this tobacco. I had the distinct pleasure to visit Boston this past March, and I spent my birthday with the fine gentlemen at 2 1/2 park Square smoking a bowl of Cambridge Flake. If any reader here ever has the opportunity to visit this historic shop, it should not be passed up. There is magic in L.J. Peretti, and Cambridge Flake has been touched by that hand.

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

It looks and smells like the (broken)flake version of the Omega blend, very dark, musty and spicy. At the match it has the same turkish penetration, almost irritating for the nose and a little bitterish, but then it evolves in a different way. Here the Virginias are structural but they also give a distinct tone to the blend, while the latakia stays a little in the background. A fine choice for those who find Va-L flakes lacking deepness and a little boring.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (52)

I have a generally high regard for the Peretti blends but this one is just not a winner for me. Format and texture are great, properly dried and rubbed out it is a decent burner, and I do get some nice nuttiness and VA sweetness. But even when smoked very carefully I get a nasty zing / irritation on the roof of the mouth and tongue. I have this same experience with certain other blends (for example Britt's Balkan). Unfortunately because of this I can only somewhat recommend it.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (61)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I agree with everything that cakeanddottle except for the part of the sourness which on my case it seems to mellow out towards the last third of the smoke. If you are like orientals being the band leader this one is for you although the aroma left behind in the room wont win you any favors with the misses. would I buy this again... yes this one is a keeper although I wish the nicotine level was higher.

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Why does no one mention the incredible sour note this tobacco has? Certainly the Orientals play a big part here. Not a Lat bomb by any stretch, this is firmly in the McClelland camp of mild mannered Lat blend.

But that sourness, wow. Big and persistent to the bottom of the bowl. You get glimpses of this in a lot of Lat blends, but here it is like a big, blinking neon sign. One dimensional? I don't think so. There is other stuff going on, but if you appreciate a sour Lat blend that may be a little light on Latakia but still big on flavor, this is it.

Not the whole package the way Penzance is, not as deep and big as Omega, but this one has something no other tobacco I've smoked has, and for me that makes it a hoarder. I find this much better than the reviews indicate, and it always distracts me when I smoke it because it makes me smile. This is not a complex tobacco but it does one thing really well. It consistently provides access to the big, elusive sour notes that really good Lat blends give. That alone makes it worth visiting.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (88)

An excellent flake and quite an enjoyable blend for the latakia fan. Cambridge flake has a strong and rich flavor that I believe is due to it being a flake. The smoke and taste are rich, to use that term again. The latakia is strong but does not overpower the taste of the virginias. Very well done and something different for the latakia lovers due to the flake form. (For some reason I usually only come across English- viginia flake.)

Note: I found Cambridge flake to have a more complex taste than Commonwealth mixture by S&G, which I love. The latter being a tasty latkia bomb.

A very good Latakia flake. It is along the lines of Gawith's Commonwealth mixture in flavor profile. Tangy and zesty! My only reservation was that it appeared to slightlly razor the tongue. I believe that the Virginias are a little to the sharp side. all in all a good smoke. 3 stars.

Angus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Angus (2)

I confirm Sasha?s review. The main role in this ready rubbed flake is played by VAs which give structure and tone. At first the blend is very spicy, while midway through the bowl it gets rounder and pleasantly creamy. It is tasty and has enough body. In my opinion, it is better than other VA/latakia flakes I have smoked, such as SG Balkan flake, which I found a bit dull and monochromatic.