Combines the sweet zest of fine matured Virginia with the rich nutty flavor of Xanthi, Turkish and Latakia. This gives an uncommonly rich flavor and a smooth and zesty smoke.

Here is a combination of two great English traditions. A mixture of Latakia, Turkish and mature Virginia pressed into a flake to provide a unique smoking experience. If you're an English smoker looking to branch out into flakes, this one is for you.

BrandPeretti
Blended ByL.J. Peretti
Manufactured ByL.J. Peretti
Strength
Taste

Based on a 1 oz sample, this is a broken flake of darker brown color and a mellow musty and smoky bag aroma. Rather different in scent. Easy to rub and load and once again, drier is better as it brings out more of the tobacco flavor.

This is an oriental-forward Scottish-type flake with a twist. I'm not sure if it's the interplay of latakia with orientals or if there truly is Syrian latakia in here, but I tasted it every bowl. I'm thinking this includes both types of latakia because I smell Cyprian but taste more Syrian. Could be wrong but there is a musty spicy flavor I associate with Syrian lat, but again it could be the orientals. The flavor was rich but fairly mild and easy to smoke... leathery and woody, which are two descriptors that are WAY overused for latakia blends but fit very well to describe this one. A nice spicy character to this one and it reminded me of a well done homemade beef stew with all the flavors coming through at various times. Not sweet and not sour... nothing skewed the balance of this one. A remarkable blend and one headed for my cellar.

The woody, earthy, leathery, rather floral, sweet and sour, mildly spicy, nutty Oriental/Turkish take a little of the lead over the other components without dominating. The smoky, woody, musty sweet Cyprian latakia takes a secondary lead over the fermented dark fruity, tangy citrusy, earthy, lightly grassy Virginias. They also sport a slight stewed fruitiness. The Virginias are obviously made by McClelland, and the “vinegar” notes, as small as they are, last to the finish. The strength is just short of being medium while the taste level is medium. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. No chance of bite or harshness. Burns cool, clean and a little slow as flakes tend to do, with a mostly consistent, fairly rich, complex and nuanced sweet and savory flavor from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs some relights. Has a pleasantly lingering after taste. Can be an all day smoke for the veteran.

StogieBear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StogieBear (18)

This is a rich, complex smoke. The Latakia smokiness is there but it doesn't overpower. There's sweetness from the Virginia and a wonderful sour note from the combination of Virginias and Orientals. The Latakia complements these so well. Hats off to the blender - this is masterfully done. It captures what I'm looking for in an English and what I'm looking for in a Virginia flake.

The texture isn't a McC broken Flake but more of a shredded flake. It burns well as is but benefits from a bit of drying. Either way I get no harshness or tongue bite and only a few relights.

Pipe Used: Billiards, bent billiards

Purchased From: LJ Peretti

incendio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incendio (33)

The description of this blend is identical to McClelland's #2020 (Matured Cake), which I love. The tin note (well, "bag note" in any case) is remarkably similar to #2020. This is fine, since I adore #2020.

However, I think this flake is rather different from #2020. I don't know if Peretti sources its flake from McClelland or not, as the internet sources seem to suggest. If they do, though, I think that this flake is made to somewhat different specifications.

Overall this blend is, in my opinion, a perfect Navy Flake. Despite whatever other ingredients may be in there, this flake is squarely Virginia and Latakia. Further, it doesn't have any of the other "flavorings" (or whatever it may be) that McClelland often uses--the Virginia is honest and simple, and the Latakia is well balanced. No toppings or any embellishments otherwise.

I wish I had some #2020 to smoke side-by-side to rule out "batch effects." This is a great Navy Flake, and I'd consider it something of a standard (in the good sense) of the genre.

Pipe Used: billiards

Age When Smoked: bulk/fresh

Purchased From: Peretti (Mail Order)

Similar Blends: imagine a dry-tasting Penzance.

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (68)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Why does no one mention the incredible sour note this tobacco has? Certainly the Orientals play a big part here. Not a Lat bomb by any stretch, this is firmly in the McClelland camp of mild mannered Lat blend.

But that sourness, wow. Big and persistent to the bottom of the bowl. You get glimpses of this in a lot of Lat blends, but here it is like a big, blinking neon sign. One dimensional? I don't think so. There is other stuff going on, but if you appreciate a sour Lat blend that may be a little light on Latakia but still big on flavor, this is it.

Not the whole package the way Penzance is, not as deep and big as Omega, but this one has something no other tobacco I've smoked has, and for me that makes it a hoarder. I find this much better than the reviews indicate, and it always distracts me when I smoke it because it makes me smile. This is not a complex tobacco but it does one thing really well. It consistently provides access to the big, elusive sour notes that really good Lat blends give. That alone makes it worth visiting.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)

An excellent flake and quite an enjoyable blend for the latakia fan. Cambridge flake has a strong and rich flavor that I believe is due to it being a flake. The smoke and taste are rich, to use that term again. The latakia is strong but does not overpower the taste of the virginias. Very well done and something different for the latakia lovers due to the flake form. (For some reason I usually only come across English- viginia flake.)

Note: I found Cambridge flake to have a more complex taste than Commonwealth mixture by S&G, which I love. The latter being a tasty latkia bomb.

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

It looks and smells like the (broken)flake version of the Omega blend, very dark, musty and spicy. At the match it has the same turkish penetration, almost irritating for the nose and a little bitterish, but then it evolves in a different way. Here the Virginias are structural but they also give a distinct tone to the blend, while the latakia stays a little in the background. A fine choice for those who find Va-L flakes lacking deepness and a little boring.

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (112)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I normally try to wait a month or so before reviewing a tobacco but this one really got me inspired. I was in Boston this week and stopped in the shop on Monday and picked up a few sample bags (so I would know what to buy online...less 40%) and I scooped up the last 2 oz of this jewel. They said they couldn't get one of the ingredients... and I hope they meant temporarily. This stuff blew me away. This is one of the most unique blends I have tasted. An English Flake tobacco, that is Turkish/Oriental forward and I am not sure if it is the Xanthi or the use of stoved red Virginia in this blend that makes it so unique, but whatever the master blenders have done at Peretti I really like. The tin (baggie) note is reminiscent of McClelland Virginia's. There is some smokey Latakia in the aroma but the familiar sweet ketchup/vinegar smell from the VA is front and center, although not as strong as McC's VA's. I find that Peretti nails the moisture content in their blends. They come perfect and ready to smoke, but some say it on the dry side but that is where I like it. The flavor. This stuff is a real treat. This is a full flavored tobacco but not in the lat bomb sense that is oh so popular lately. The first flavor I get is roasted nuts followed by a slightly spicy woody flavor. The toasty and slightly sweet VA's are ever present. That Latakia is sweet and smokey, with a red wind like flavor. I think I saw a review that thought they detected Syrian Latakia and I can definitely see why. I am not sure if it is the blending and light hand that makes Cyprian taste more like Syrian or what...but it is good, very good. The retrohale provides a malty and Balkan like flavor that I only get when I exhale through the nose. I have never had the storied original Balkan Sobranie Smoking Mixture or the flake version (It think that was the original Bengal Slices), but if you are like me you guess what those old legends tasted like. I imagine that this is what it was like, and if it isn't...it should be. This will be one that will be mourned if it were to go away for ever. It does burn a bit quick so a slow cadence is a good idea.

Pipe Used: Briars and Morta

Purchased From: L.J. Peretti

Faustus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Faustus (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

One of my favorite Peretti tobaccos, I find the Cambridge Flake among the best examples of their Virginia-Oriental blends. Latakia is definite, but not dominating, and the Virginias serve well to round-out the palate.

As other reviewers have noted, the flake does tend to carry a bit of moisture—much more than typical of ribbon cut Peretti tobaccos.

Overall I find this very similar to Peretti's "Royal" blend, but pressed and cut into flake format. The process seems to improve what would be an already fine blend, marrying the constituents and mellowing the smoke overall.

Pipe Used: Dublin Bowl

Purchased From: L.J. Peretti

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (59)

I have a generally high regard for the Peretti blends but this one is just not a winner for me. Format and texture are great, properly dried and rubbed out it is a decent burner, and I do get some nice nuttiness and VA sweetness. But even when smoked very carefully I get a nasty zing / irritation on the roof of the mouth and tongue. I have this same experience with certain other blends (for example Britt's Balkan). Unfortunately because of this I can only somewhat recommend it.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I agree with everything that cakeanddottle except for the part of the sourness which on my case it seems to mellow out towards the last third of the smoke. If you are like orientals being the band leader this one is for you although the aroma left behind in the room wont win you any favors with the misses. would I buy this again... yes this one is a keeper although I wish the nicotine level was higher.