One of our more full bodied blends, similar to many expensive English blends. This blend is so carefully constructed that its' Perique and Latakia components compliment each other perfectly.

BrandPeretti

3.6
JDfromAK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JDfromAK (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I've started getting into english blends more, and this stuff is prime. Very cool smoke, and it burnt very well. I smoked it while fishing, and had no trouble balancing the two.(Also tasted great later with the bass we caught!) Very low maintinence. I smoked it down to the bottom without a second light. Great taste, light and honest. I detected only a slight change of taste throughout the bowl, which is nice. Packs surprisingly well. Leather, hickory-smoke and cinnamon aroma in the pouch. Tastes like it smells in the pouch pretty much, only not quite as strong on the hickory, and a little more sweetness from the perique and the burning of the VA, especially noticed the sweetness when exhaling through the nose. Dedicated a pipe to it. Worth every cent.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a blend that I buy in 1/2 pound or 1 pound tins. Like all their blends, the tin tops are the traditional ones that require a coin or knife-edge to open, and the the tins have the same yellow label with a handwritten blend name and the blenders initials. I like this! No fancy marketing slogans or advertising gimmicks. With L.J.'s, it is always about the quality of the tobacco, and the blender's art and skill. Enough of my loyalty, on with the review.

This is one of the first Peretti blends that I tried in the early eighties. An extremely smooth satisfying smoke that never bites nor tires. A high quality virginia/perique blend with just the right amount of latakia. It lights easily and seldom needs a relight. It burns to grey/white ash with no excessive moisture in the heel. A subtle spicyness throughout the run of the bowl.

If you haven't tried any blends by this tobacconist, and you are an avid pipe smoker, you are definitely missing out.

This is a nice medium English, spicy, nice aroma and tastes good. This packs well though quite dry when it came to me, not unusual for an English or Peretti's which ships, IMO, at the perfect moisture level. Nice volume of smoke, creamy. The first half of the bowl was very nice, but it seemed to get a little harsh toward the bottom. A good blend, however, to be sure.

Smoke in peace, my friends.

British Blend is a solid offering from Peretti's. It burns cleanly and packs well. My issue with British Blend is that in a world that offers lots of choices, this falls somewhere safely in the middle. It just doesn't stand out enough to make it into my regular English rotation. I am going to cellar some as I think some additional age will serve it well. Three stars.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (84)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

An excellent enjoyable blend. I am a long time cigar smoker who started smoking pipes in Decemeber '08 and am finding I enjoy English blends with latakia the most. Reminds me of the tobacco blends I remeber smelling when I was kid. I rate this second in my English blend smoking experience to Peretti's Royal.

Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

The Brit's can keep this blend. The flavor and aroma were quite flat even with the addition of perique. This blend smoked slowly and did not produce a good volume of smoke...partly due to a higher latakia content. This came to me pretty dry but I am going to let this get closer to bone-dry and see how it smokes later. For someone who likes this blend it would be a good keeper since its not that expensive which is a plus in the current economy and anti-smoking climate....24 bucks for 8 ounces. If I end up not liking this I will keep it in a zip-lock bag and let the nice unlit aroma condition the air in my cellar (the bottom drawer in my nightstand..I love the smell of Latakia even if its in a blend I don't care for).

tennessee texan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tennessee texan (21)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a quality English Blend tobacco. This has a little too much peppery taste for my liking. I currently smoke Penzance about 95% of the time, but Peretti's British Blend is a nice change of pace from time to time. Lights easily and stays lit. Burns right down to the bottom of the bowl, with no tongue bite whatever. The flavor is very pleasant. The Perique is prominent through the first half of the bowl, then quiets down. This is a full bodied English tobacco with Perique and Latakia which are blended perfectly. The wife does not object to the room note, which is another plus.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)

After liking Pretti's Cuban Mixture so much, I decided to pick up a can of their British Blend at the Chicago Pipe Show. This is an excellent English blend, that is overlooked in the vast array of tobaccos today. Spicy Orientals, along with matured VA and a perfect balance of perique and latakia. I think I really like this blend because I do like the flaovr of perique. It burns cool with no tounge bite, and smokes down to a nice grey ash.

I find myself smoking this blend almost every day. While not a Westminister or Vintage Syrian, it's a great every day smoke. If your looking to replace Dunhill's Nightcap, which is not being sold in bulk again, this is a close match and less costly!

Highly Recommended

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)

Peretti has a magical way with Burley and a competent way with English blends. British Blend best exleplifies this. For an affordable, satisfying Latakia/Turkish tobacco, it works. For a truly exemplary specimen of the genre, it is lacking. I one wants to taste Peretti's best in this type of tobacco, I strongly recommend Royal Blend.

Not that there is anything objectionable about British Blend...there is simply nothing exemplary about it. One could do as well with ALMOST any bulk English blend. C&D's Plantation Evening or Peretti's own Prince of Wales leap to mind, as does Lane's bulk version of Crown Achievement. I think British Blend aimed at Dunhill's REAL English Blend-Medium, not the sorry stuff available today. If that is indeed the case, then the Peretti boys came pretty close.

The pouch aroma promises more than the smoke delivers...there are hints of leather and cinnamon on first whiff...but they get buried in the smoke.

As this (like most House of Peretti blends) was conceived in the long-ago, perhaps the original Latakia was Syrian instead of Cyprian. That would make a HUGE difference, though without the Syrian version to compare it with...this is only speculation.

This will suffice for ANY English smoker--but completely satisfy only a few.

Two out of four stars.

gnossos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gnossos (39)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is the perfect all-day smoke as far as I am concerned, if I was the type of person to choose an all-day smoke (I like to mix things up a lot, usually). The flavor reminds me almost of toast. It is mouth-watering. The tobaccos I usually smoke tend to coat your mouth and leave a thick flavor, which I enjoy qutie a bit, but some times in the morning I feel like being able to smoke a pipe and then eat breakfast and actually taste it. If after a late night your mouth is feeling a little grimy but you really want to light up, this is perfect. Wonderful in the morning with coffee.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

Despite what Thomas Wolfe wrote, you can go home again! This blend is a dead ringer of a favorite English blend I purchased regularly in the ?70s from the small chain of now defunct Brick Church Pipe Shops in ?Joisey.? This is a classic English blend that is extremely well balanced, moderately sweet, and with a smooth, even taste that never grows wearisome. It has excellent burning qualities (as do most English blends) that leaves hardly, if any, dottle. The various tobaccos present a nice, mottled appearance with a pouch aroma that is most pleasant and unique. Both of these characteristics gave me the first inkling that this was or might be the old Brick Church blend I was so fond of. Actually smoking a bowl confirmed it. I feel 30 years younger smoking this stuff! I have found my ?fountain of youth,? or I should say, ?Tobacco of youth.?

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.5 out of 10.

benhur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
benhur (5)

Not only is this an excellent blend, but I rank it at the top of LJP?s English mixtures. The base tastes mainly of bright and aged Viginias. There are also some quality Orientals, but they are not the focus. The star of this blend is the Latakia and Perique, which ?complement each other perfectly?. Thought the taste is full, no single component overwhelms. Simply put, the blend smokes cool and is rich in flavor. Its amazing young and only improves with age. Four full stars for Robert Perretti?s wonderful, traditional blend.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable

british blend was my introduction to l.j. peretti tobaccos and the skills of their master blender, robert peretti. to say i am impressed is an understatement. this is a fabulous blend! british blend is made up entirely of latakia and perique tobaccos. the literature describing it says that the perique and latakia proportions are carefully constructed to compliment each other perfectly. sounds like advertising hype, but in this case it's true. there is a lovely lingering note of perique spiciness all the way through the bowl that compliments the latakia PERFECTLY. lighting and packing are very good, and it leaves almost no dottle. robert peretti is known as one of the finest master tobacco blenders that this country has ever produced and now i know why. four BIG stars!

Punchy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Punchy (19)
Strong None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

Well I guess the secrets out on L. J. Pertti. Located in the oldest part of downtown Boston,I belive this establishment has been around since the Revoluntionary War. Having frequented this fine establishment since 1970, I've smoked quite a few of their blends and have come to the conclusion that that the Peretti Family is incapable of making a bad tobacco blend. British Blend is my all time favorite English type. Various types of Virginias comprise it's foundation with Cyprian Latakia and Perique added in an exquisite balanced manner to give this blend a unique flavor. Highly recommended.