One of our more full bodied blends, similar to many expensive English blends. This blend is so carefully constructed that its Perique and Latakia components compliment each other perfectly.

Notes: Peretti's "British." Blended first in 1922, this tobacco is the first commercially produced English mixture in the States.

BrandPeretti
Very Pleasant, Tolerable

3.7
Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

Despite what Thomas Wolfe wrote, you can go home again! This blend is a dead ringer of a favorite English blend I purchased regularly in the ?70s from the small chain of now defunct Brick Church Pipe Shops in ?Joisey.? This is a classic English blend that is extremely well balanced, moderately sweet, and with a smooth, even taste that never grows wearisome. It has excellent burning qualities (as do most English blends) that leaves hardly, if any, dottle. The various tobaccos present a nice, mottled appearance with a pouch aroma that is most pleasant and unique. Both of these characteristics gave me the first inkling that this was or might be the old Brick Church blend I was so fond of. Actually smoking a bowl confirmed it. I feel 30 years younger smoking this stuff! I have found my ?fountain of youth,? or I should say, ?Tobacco of youth.?

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.5 out of 10.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a blend that I buy in 1/2 pound or 1 pound tins. Like all their blends, the tin tops are the traditional ones that require a coin or knife-edge to open, and the the tins have the same yellow label with a handwritten blend name and the blenders initials. I like this! No fancy marketing slogans or advertising gimmicks. With L.J.'s, it is always about the quality of the tobacco, and the blender's art and skill. Enough of my loyalty, on with the review.

This is one of the first Peretti blends that I tried in the early eighties. An extremely smooth satisfying smoke that never bites nor tires. A high quality virginia/perique blend with just the right amount of latakia. It lights easily and seldom needs a relight. It burns to grey/white ash with no excessive moisture in the heel. A subtle spicyness throughout the run of the bowl.

If you haven't tried any blends by this tobacconist, and you are an avid pipe smoker, you are definitely missing out.

British Blend is a solid offering from Peretti's. It burns cleanly and packs well. My issue with British Blend is that in a world that offers lots of choices, this falls somewhere safely in the middle. It just doesn't stand out enough to make it into my regular English rotation. I am going to cellar some as I think some additional age will serve it well. Three stars.

riobrew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
riobrew (27)

A very nice straight forward English blend. Has all the regular tobaccos plus the Perique is just the right amount for a little added kick. Good all day smoke.

Update: Been smoking this all week as my main tobacco. And it has grown on me. Has a mild sweetness to it. The Perique doesn't bite but is just there in the background. It is now number 2 on my list of Peretti tobaccos. Omega is number one.

Purchased From: LJ Peretti

magga00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
magga00 (3)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A lifelong Cavendish smoker, I recently decided it was time for a change. I have on many occasions tried English blends, usually prepackaged brands like Nightcap, but always found them to be too strong for my palate. Plus my system can't take the big nic hit. Then I stumbled on this blend. It hits the spot perfectly. Very nice blend of Latakia and a bit of Perique. Strong enough to satisfy, but not so strong that it overwhelms. I only wish I had discovered this blend years ago.

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Let me first say, Highest Recommendation! This blend is perfectly balanced. The Perique is judiciously placed, the VAs seemed to be just a little more dominant, the Turkish and Latakia are wonderful in their presence. Excellent burning qualities due to the perfect moisture content and tons of rich smoke emanated from my pipe. Very full bodied and there is some good strength behind this Brit. Excellent value from some master blenders. This is done right! PTLOG

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

An excellent enjoyable blend. I am a long time cigar smoker who started smoking pipes in Decemeber '08 and am finding I enjoy English blends with latakia the most. Reminds me of the tobacco blends I remeber smelling when I was kid. I rate this second in my English blend smoking experience to Peretti's Royal.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)

Peretti has a magical way with Burley and a competent way with English blends. British Blend best exleplifies this. For an affordable, satisfying Latakia/Turkish tobacco, it works. For a truly exemplary specimen of the genre, it is lacking. I one wants to taste Peretti's best in this type of tobacco, I strongly recommend Royal Blend.

Not that there is anything objectionable about British Blend...there is simply nothing exemplary about it. One could do as well with ALMOST any bulk English blend. C&D's Plantation Evening or Peretti's own Prince of Wales leap to mind, as does Lane's bulk version of Crown Achievement. I think British Blend aimed at Dunhill's REAL English Blend-Medium, not the sorry stuff available today. If that is indeed the case, then the Peretti boys came pretty close.

The pouch aroma promises more than the smoke delivers...there are hints of leather and cinnamon on first whiff...but they get buried in the smoke.

As this (like most House of Peretti blends) was conceived in the long-ago, perhaps the original Latakia was Syrian instead of Cyprian. That would make a HUGE difference, though without the Syrian version to compare it with...this is only speculation.

This will suffice for ANY English smoker--but completely satisfy only a few.

Two out of four stars.

Punchy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Punchy (19)
Strong None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

Well I guess the secrets out on L. J. Pertti. Located in the oldest part of downtown Boston,I belive this establishment has been around since the Revoluntionary War. Having frequented this fine establishment since 1970, I've smoked quite a few of their blends and have come to the conclusion that that the Peretti Family is incapable of making a bad tobacco blend. British Blend is my all time favorite English type. Various types of Virginias comprise it's foundation with Cyprian Latakia and Perique added in an exquisite balanced manner to give this blend a unique flavor. Highly recommended.