A remarkable blend of high-quality imported and domestic tobaccos with an Irish aromatic tobacco added.

BrandPeretti
Contents
FlavoringIrish Mist
Strength
Taste
adamfasoli Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adamfasoli (8)

As a new pipe smoker, I have been primarily smoking aromatics. Blend 101 was suggested to me by the folks at Peretti because of the blend and it was a pretty good choice. It has a great tin aroma and takes to flame very nicely. Due to the fairly small cut it also fills easy. I usually just take a scoop, lightly tamp, repeat a few times and off I go. I wouldn't make this my everyday tobacco but after this, I am excited to try some of Peretti's other blends.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This one will catch you by surprise. I've read many reviews of other, usually English or Balkan blends that speak of "understanding" what the tobacco is all about. This blend is as old-school and American as they come, yet like the history of its country of origin, it takes a while to understand.

At first light, one is greeted in an unusual manner; the flavor leaps at you with some assertiveness, then begins to behave and mingle with the crowd. It is sweet but not unctuous; personable, but not overbearing. It is a guest you will not soon forget.

Unlike some other reviewers, I would not recommend this to the novice smoker, nor would I describe its Burley base as "nutty." The other tobaccos tone down the Burley qualities, both good and not-so-good. This is a true mixture.

If I were to compare it with an American "drugstore" blend, it would be Kentucky Club Mixture Aromatic...without the PEG and other abominations that tobacco now contains. It is subtly sweet, flavorful (if one takes time to savor it) and can be pushed to bite if one is in a hurry.

All-in-all, a comfortable, friendly smoke for the experienced and traditionally inclined puffer.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

I first had the opportunity to try this and other magnificent Peretti tobaccos at the 2006 Chicago Int'l Pipe Show only a few days ago. Fortunately for us, Peretti attended this year and offered a variety of his wonderful tobaccos for visitors to try. I am now hooked on 111. This is a true American burley blend, almost granulated like Grape Nuts cereal, 111 is an aromatic, but not the heavily cased, goopy type. This is the perfect balance between Wilke's fine, but hot Nut Brown Burley and Pipes and Cigars' Old Tartan. There is some form of vanilla or deer tongue application here, but it is done so skillfully that it never detracts from the full natural sweetness of the burleys. A truly old fashioned mixture that is still blended at the Peretti store. They have to be one of the last small shops that has not totally outsourced its products to either C & D, McClelland, Lane or Altadis. Packaged in either 4 oz Montecristo bags or 8 oz tins with plain, almost drugstore type labelling, treat yourself to this great tobacco and keep your pipe clean, dry and happy.

Three and a half of five stars

P.S. I erroneously reviewed this as the Blend 111, when I meant it to be 101. Also it's more of a shag cut than a pebble cut. I got this confused with the 333. In any case, after a couple more weeks, I don't like it as much as 333 or Belmont, but it's still a fine mainstay in the Peretti line.

Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I am sorry to say, I absolutely hated this blend. It reminds me of a cheap, hot, and acrid drug store mixture. I would skip this and try the #333 for a really good smoke.

Peretti's 101: An Introduction to American Burley Blends.

This blend would make a good introduction to pipe smoking. It is a very well crafted, nutty, sweet blend. I have no idea what the top dressing is, but it tastes and smells good. I sipped it gently, and received no tongue bite. It is not goopy. It packs easily, almost a gravity feed. It lights with one match, and with the occasional tamp, stays lit. There is body to this, and it is satisfying. It did not give me a bitter ashy aftertaste. I have had older and more knowledgeable pipesters describe it as being similar to the old Half&Half, before Pinkerton screwed it up, with the "improved cut" , and large dose of PG. Worth a try if you like mild aromatics. There is plenty of tobacco taste. The topping is sweet and herbal, slightly flowery, slightly fruity. It is impossible to single out, and probably consists of numerous ingredients. A fine old school blend.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

I purchased a couple of ounces of this fine blend at the 2005 Chicago show and, if I remember correctly, I was told that 101 is Peretti?s best selling burley blend. I now know why. This is just a delightfully smooth smoke that harkens back to the halcyon days of pipe smoking in the U.S. when ?Burley was King.? Comprised of granular burley, 101 burns slow and cool, has a sweet, tasty nuttiness all the way through and never even hints at a growl, bark or bite.

I am not sure what the ?Irish aromatic? is or means. They could have very well added a Polish or Russian aromatic as ?a rose (read "Irish aromatic") by any other name would smell as sweet? and it would have fooled me. But the general information at Peretti?s website states, ?When one of the below blends is referred to as aromatic it means just that, an aromatic has been added. It does not mean the tobacco has been cased or sweetened.? Blend 101 is on the verge of displacing Old Master as my favorite burley blend. All burley lovers are advised to try any and all of Peretti?s excellent burley offerings. If your travels take you to Beantown, don?t forget a stop at Peretti?s!

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.9 out of 10.