A medium strength, slow burning, cool and aromatic blend of delightful flavor and aroma.

BrandPeretti
Blended ByL.J. Peretti
Manufactured ByL.J. Peretti
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste

This is a very unusual blend indeed. Had I not read Mr. Shelor's excellent review, I would have never guessed what the main essence in this blend was.

Blend 100 is a breeze to pack, light and smoke. At first light it is flowery, herbal, slightly spicey and just a little sweet.

Even though I smoked this outside, the sidestream aroma was very intriguing.

Unfortunately, the casing swamps out the burley, and other leaf in this blend. It's odd. I enjoy Original Mixture (which is intensely aromatic), but this one doesn't quite make the cut for me.

I won't buy it again, not because it is bad, but because there are others I much prefer. If you are fond of old school aromatics, you should probably try an ounce, to see if it appeals to you. It could be a favorite.

If you prefer the simpler, more straightforward Cavendish type blends, this will seem quite peculiar. If you crave straight tobacco taste, this will certainly leave you wanting.

Recommended to the adventurous connoisseur of fine burley blends.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

One of the gentlemen at Peretti's told me that Blend 100 contains the aromatic agent used in their Blend 33. He was absolutely correct. What that agent is..."I could tell you, but then I'd have to shoot you."

Blend 33 by itself is overpoweringly aromatic and almost bizarre, at least by modern comparisons. As an additive to Peretti's 333 or D-7485, it is wonderful if used judiciously.

In Peretti's Blend 100, it is toned-down considerably and makes for a smooth, cool, and interesting smoke for those wanting nothing fancy. This is simple plug-cut Burley at its best, perhaps what "drugstore" tobaccos once were, but are no longer.

An easy yet stimulating "all day smoke" for the Burley lover. As to the aromatic...you'll love it or hate it. It is so unusual that it makes neutrality next to impossible.

gtclark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gtclark (12)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The supplied description reads: "A medium strength, slow burning, cool and aromatic blend of delightful flavor and aroma". This doesn't tell you much about the blend, but I read elsewhere it's one of their oldest mixtures, and is distinctly in the "old-time aromatic" genre.

In the bag, it appears to be an all burley mixture of mostly cubed or plug-cut leaf. The smell in the bag is...different. Floral notes intermixed with spices and maybe a little vanilla? I've never knowingly smoked a blend containing deer tongue, but I wonder if there's some in here.

The blend lights and burns very well. Taking my first few puffs, I was taken aback - I had tasted these flavors before, both in the ghosts of old estate pipes, and later in some of the Iwan Ries house blends. The quality burley tobacco flavor is clear, but a distinct, cool, "floral vanilla" note is also present throughout. At times, the aroma of fresh-cut roses seems to emerge, only to disappear after a few puffs. At other times, I get a distinct vanilla note from the tobacco. Frankly, it's difficult to describe, but if you've ever tasted it, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Though I've never tried it, I'm reminded to descriptions of Wilke's "Royal Scot" and other aromatics that dominated before the Cavendish Craze.

I like blend 100. It's unique, and from another time - evocative of old-fashioned barbershops, front parlors, and soda counters. Will I be ordering an 8 oz. paint-can? Probably not, but I'm enjoying the sample while it lasts.

Pipe Used: Radice billiard