Our most unusual English-type tobacco flavored with rich, cured Virginia, blended with fine Dubeck Turkish. You will find it mild and smooth.

BrandPeretti
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste
3.1
Mongo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mongo (10)

I first discovered this blend a few years ago when I placed an order with Peretti for 8oz. tins of some of their English tobaccos. I smoked a few bowls and found it pleasant enough, but it wasn't special enough for me to take any special note of it.

Fast forward six months, when I made my second pass through the Peretti English mixtures. What a difference! D-9507 had turned from a pleasant enough Oriental blend into a sublime pleasure. I was hooked. Of course, I've been hooked by blends before. I'd smoked them intensely until the initial passion wore off, and then placed them on the shelf to be smoked occasionally when the mood struck. I thought that this was surely another blend with which I'd have a brief, intense affair, but I was wrong. It's been years now, and my passion for D-9507 is unabated. I look forward to smoking it now as much as I did when it first caught my attention.

When you purchase 8 or 16 oz. of a Peretti blend, it arrives in a metal paint can. (I recommend a paint can key for opening these cans, as repeated openings with a flat-bladed screw driver will eventually deform the lid.) The tobacco's placed inside of a plastic bag, and the bag's packed in the can. The cans work very well for storing tobacco. As long as you put the lid back on tightly, the tobacco is well sealed inside. They wrap the cans in yellow paper, pre-printed with their store information, on which the name of the blend and the initials of the blender are hand-written.

The tobacco itself is a mixture of medium and dark brown with some lighter brown pieces mixed throughout. The cut of the tobacco reminds me of what you get when you thoroughly crumble a cake of tobacco. I use the traditional three-layer method for packing a pipe, though I tend to pack it more loosely than other blends. D-9507 is very easy to light, often requiring only the initial light to get going.

The sweetness of the Cavendish and Virginias predominate at first. After a few minutes the Dubeck takes its place, providing a perfect musty/salty Oriental tone that balances the sweetness nicely. I don't detect any flavorings or sweeteners...just the taste of the tobaccos. The various flavors wax and wane as the bowl progresses. Sometimes the flavor leans toward the bright sweetness of the Virginias, sometimes the deeper sweetness of the Cavendish takes the lead, and other times the Dubeck predominates. All three continue their simple dance throughout the rest of the bowl, with the Dubeck becoming more prominent at the very end.

D-9507 smokes dry, requiring fewer pipe cleaners than most blends and rarely gurgling. It's one of the few tobaccos that smokes to the bottom every time for me. An occasional relight might be necessary depending on how carefully I've packed the pipe, but I always end up with nothing but ash in the bottom of the bowl when I'm done. It's a blend that simply doesn't bite my tongue, regardless of how careless I am with it.

If you decide to try this blend, I strongly recommend that you put some aside for a few months before passing judgment. My first 8 oz. tin of this changed dramatically in six months, and since then I've kept enough on the shelf so that I have some aged D-9507 available. This has been an "every day" blend for me for a few years, and I think it will be for the rest of my pipe-smoking days. It's a rare day in my life that goes by without a bowl of this tobacco. It's not the most complex or sophisticated blend out there, but it's easy to smoke and it has an extremely enjoyable, satisfying flavor. Simply put, it's my favorite blend.

oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Peretti's describes D-9507 as "our most unusual English-type blend," which sums-up this tobacco precisely. It is English in the sense that there is nothing detectable in the smoke except tobacco.

If one is looking for a completely inoffensive smoke he or she could do no better than this. Room note is not discernable to others ten-feet away, as there is no Latakia, yet for the smoker the flavor of top quality tobacco is there in abundance.

Many blends have been touted as "cross-over" tobaccos for those wanting to move beyond candied aromatics to something more sophisticated. This one's claim is legitimate. The unflavored black Cavendish will be familiar to English and American aromatic smokers alike. But unlike the steamed and cased Burleys of American aromatics, the black tobaccos in D-9705 are the real deal, and are smoky and delicious. Even the most ardent Latakiaphile will find satisfaction here. The Dubek Oriental component adds a sweet nuttiness that will suffice for both Turkish and Burley lovers.

No matter how one packs this blend, no matter the smoking tempo, there is nary a bite or a gurgle in even the largest bowl.

Three out of four stars.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

I have been smoking this blend on and off for close to 25 years now. Being a fancier of oriental blends, the Dubeck component in this one is very satisfying. It lends a smooth and rich steadying influence throughout the run of the bowl. The differing length cuts of the tobacco allow for an easy fill of the bowl. After a false-light and relight, one is off to some quality downtime. I notice an increase of the melding of the components as one smokes past the first quarter of the bowl and continues throughout the rest of the experience. The Virginia is the main taste with the Dubeck running through the middle. It burns a nice grey/white ash with little or no dottle. Very Nice

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Coarse random cuts of mixed color, about 40% dark leaf.

Aroma: Definite smell of Black Cavendish, but hardly sweetened. Also spicy and stewed fruit aromas detected.

Packing: Packs easily into any pipe size. A slightly lighter touch is good.

Lighting: Lights easily, sometimes with just one match and a gentle tamp.

Initial flavor: First impression is Virginia, plus a sweet smokiness from the Cavendish. After a few puffs, I get the spicy nutty taste of an Oriental (might be Dubeck) and a hint of Perique.

Mid-bowl: First impressions are confirmed, this is an English/American hybrid. The components work well together, with some complexity and layering of flavors. A medium strength and mouth feel back up the nice flavors. Cool and dry through mid-bowl.

Finish: No surprises here, the Perique tang intensifies at the bottom of the bowl. Leaves me satisfied for a while.

Summary: A very nice blend, which can be enjoyed at any time of day or night. This is subtle enough for an eye opener, hearty enough to enjoy in the evening.

Mostly black with traces of lemon, the cut of this one covers every sized ribbon known to the pipesmoking world. Plenty of narrow pieces along with some chunks of large ones. A kind of dry, dusty and heavy aroma that is hard to place. This came in an 8 oz "paintcan" and I transferred to glass. Also came drier than I expected. Review is based on about 3 oz.

Virginia and Dubec Turkish. At first I thought there might be some black Cavendish here but this blend lacked any sweetness I associate with that. In fact, it had very little sweetness at all. It was more of a sour and spicy bent, with a very dry finish. Not what I was hoping for, but still interesting. This one burned cool and never threatened to bite or get the least bit warm on the palate. The flavor was "dark", like the non-aro black Cavendish I've been experimenting with, but much less sweet. Zero complexity in this one - what I got from the match was what I got at the bottom of the bowl. This will make a good base for blending but it could definitely use some stoved Virginia or something to sweeten it up a bit. It was fine as a straight smoke but I think its possibilities for blending are much more exciting. I added some latakia to one bowl and it turned out ok, but haven't done much else yet. Looking forward to it!

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (57)

There's something to be said when a blend is just passable and nothing else the description from the manufacturer is very accurate Virginia, Turkish but I have a feeling there's also a bit of unflavored cavendish in the mix, is very pedestrian smoke nothing jumps out at me as a buy me again blend, is not the easiest to pack since the tobacco is cut in chunks more than ribbons is astringent as sweet and sour sauce can be at the same time when you just need a blend to puff I'm to pay attention of what's going this is great overall I might remember this blend down the line as being good but as of now I wish I could give it just 2.5 stars which by rounding up will make it a 3.

Pipe Used: Neerup Billiard

Purchased From: Perreti, Boston Massachusetts

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (82)

A curious English of the Oriental variety. I enjoyed it's rich Oriental taste but was kept from being satisfied because it kept teasing me that there should be latakia in the mix. And of course there is no latakia in the mix. Curious, and well worth a try.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (69)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good, mild blend. I would liken it to Rattray's Jock's Mixture, or certain mild crossovers. This has no real overt flavoring, but does have a sweetness that is just slightly more than the natural Virginia sweetness. Smokes well in any size pipe, and has never bitten. A well behaved gentleman. It could stand a more liberal hand in the oriental department. That would help round out the sweetness, and increase the flavor. Good all dayer.