A new treat for the smoker who likes a tobacco rich in flavor and aroma. An unusual black tobacco which has been fire-cured and flavored with vanilla.

BrandPeretti
Very Pleasant, Pleasant

3.4
magga00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
magga00 (3)

I have been smoking this stuff for 30 years. It is very mellow and never bites. I particularly enjoy it in the morning with my coffee and a bit of jazz in the background. Makes for a very relaxing start to the day. I had given up smoking the pipe for a while, but once I returned this is the blend I was looking for. Peretti's has been a Boston institution for a very long time. My dad introduced me to the place when I was a young man. I have done the same for my son. I hope the tradition continues for generations to come.

pernambucoetc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pernambucoetc (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is my go-to aromatic. A bit linear as some in the cigar world like to say, this is nonetheless a solid all-around tobacco. It starts out with sweet vanilla and toasty tobacco flavors underneath. As the bowl burns down, caramelized sugars come out more heavily and a certain smokiness builds, creating a slightly fuller-bodied taste. A very moist tobacco, Black Virginia nonetheless burns beautifully, requiring very few relights after a couple initial charring burns.

incendio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incendio (14)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I'm not a huge fan of aromatics. That having been said, I have a growing admiration for Peretti tobaccos, so I was inclined to try this aromatic. I wasn't disappointed in the slightest.

One of the problems that often dissuades smokers from trying aromatics is that many of them use inferior leaf, relying on flavorings to mask the shortcomings of the tobacco. Not so in this case. This is good tobacco, and it shows. The flavoring (vanilla I think) seemed strong on smelling the pouch, however I found it very well balanced on smoking. I dried it for two hours, however I don't think this blend will ever truly dry naturally due to the amount of propylene glycol it has. It didn't seem to affect the taste, though. Still, I would have added a bit less--I like to dry more "noble" aromatics to mellow out the flavorings and let the tobacco through.

Despite feeling moist, the blend burned well all the way through, needing no re-lights. I did grind it up somewhat between my fingers prior. Also, it didn't goop up my pipe as I'd feared it might. Among the simple aromatics, I'd consider this to be a very good quality one.

My experience with other Peretti blends as far as after-taste is the same with this blend. Magically, no Pertetti blend I've smoked so far leaves any after-taste, nor does it irritate my tongue or give me a cough. I have no idea how they pull this off. Perhaps they spare the addition of other chemicals, or use organic tobacco. All guesses.

Good stuff. Good quality. Excellent choice for someone who wants an aromatic without fouling up a good pipe.

Pipe Used: Wally Frank Canadian

Purchased From: Peretti (Mail Order)

BC Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BC (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This has really grown on me. It is supposed to be Virginia (it's listed under Peretti's "Cavendish Blends") but it is cut very fine. It reminds me of BCA, but it is not as sweet, and it has a nice tobacco taste underneath the vanilla. It is really wet out of the bag, and it stays wet even with drying time. It smokes bone dry though, with a nice ash, maybe because of the cut. There is surprisingly minimal dottle. I do not smoke many AROs, but this is a nice change of pace. Great flavor, sweet, but pleasant. It will absolutely ghost your pipe, so use the pipes that you dedicate to AROs.

Purchased From: Piretti's

Similar Blends: BCA.

dafydd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dafydd (3)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

BV is the only aro I can smoke without getting a nasty metallic taste and feeling in the mouth. However, it is a little too sweet for my taste, therefore, I blend it 75/25 with Peretti's 1072. Fabulous! That small amount of burley does wonderful things to this tobacco. I've even tried it with Carter Hall with good results.

Pipe Used: Flacon, Cobs

Age When Smoked: Six months

Purchased From: Peretti

ah1502 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ah1502 (6)

Amazing room note. Burns very well. Flat taste profile but not necessarily boring; just a very mild smoke with a slightly sweet taste. My 5 year old said it smelled like marshmallows!

jacques1960 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jacques1960 (27)

I second most of Tom's comments below, with caveat that a hint of soapiness came on toward the end of the bowl. Solid vanilla black.

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (95)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is now my favorite vanilla aromatic. Sweet vanilla taste throughout, but most importantly, not too sweet. Just right. Rich, smooth taste of the tobacco underneath. The blend was moist and I could make out at least two different tobaccos. The burn was smooth and cool right to the end of the bowl. No problem with tongue bite.

A very relaxing, mellow and flavorful blend. I usually smoke English blends and enjoy aromatics now and then to mix things up. Four stars.