Renaissance is a classic medium English mixture, rich in Oriental tobaccos, a good measure of Cyprian and Syrian Latakias, and just enough golden, red and matured Virginias to provide substance to the smoke. The nutty flavors of the oriental tobaccos are the main focus, with the Latakias providing an almost leathery spiciness. These flavors are perfectly balanced by the subtle sweetness of the Virginas to complete this elegant mixture.

Notes: From Gregory Pease website: "In November, 2004, a warehouse fire consumed our supply of the exquisite vintage Syrian Latakia that was used in Renaissance, Raven's Wing and Mephisto, as well as Bohemian Scandal. These blends have been discontinued indefinitely"

BrandG. L. Pease
Blended ByGregory Pease
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste

3.6

The Syrian latakia is very smokey and woody, with a light dryness, and is a little more noticeable than the Cyprian, which has a little sweetness along with smoke and wood. The rich Orientals offer some wood and earth, a hint of nuts here and there, and a mild to medium spiciness. They compete with, and compliment the latakias. The Virginias form the base for the other components. The red Virginia is tangy, dark fruit sweet, and earthy with a bare spice hit, and dominates the other Virginias, which are minor components. The gold Virginia has slight grass and citrus while the matured Virginias have a very mild stewed fruitiness. The nic-hit is just beyond the mild level. Won’t bite, though you will get a light spice tingle from the Orientals. Very well balanced and complex, it burns at a moderate pace with a very consistent flavor that never weakens: cool, clean and smooth with a mild creaminess. Leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. Has a pleasant after taste that lingers a little.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

A symphony of harmonious leaf combine to make this truly a unique and remarkable smoking experience for those who like Oriental leaf in combination with both kinds of Latakia and a smattering of quality Virginia.

A light English? Not really; it is so much more than that. And, of course, with the loss of the Syrian Latakia which led to the hiatus of this blend, I miss it terribly.

If you can find a tin of the original and want a smoking experience that goes beyond the norm, put Renaissance in your pipe and prepare for an adventure that may never be repeated.

Given the high prices for no longer produced, vintage tins like this blend, I think it’s worth a few comments on aged Renaissance. I spent a long time hunting for a tin of Bo Scandal and Renaissance as I never had the opportunity to smoke them at the time of their release before the warehouse fire brought a halt to these blends. BS was good, but IMO not worth the obscene price, on the other hand Renaissance was a home run! The combination of the two different Latakia’s along with an unknown Turkish leaf(s), and now sweet Virginias make this medium body blend simply delicious. I have had mixed results with Pease blends with some being too rough around the edges. This blend is very, very smooth now. The complexity is abundant and each bowl through the tin seemed to offer something slightly different. It’s slightly sour, sweet and smoky all at the same time. It is “velvety” and rich. There is no possibility of bite and the flavor deepens to the final puff. If you can tin a tin at a decent price, it’s well worth the extra cost. Four big stars!

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

A couple of years back, I managed to buy four tins of Renaissance (one from 2000 and the others from 2003). I sealed them all into glass jars and have been periodically dipping into them on special occasions ever since. My review, obviously, should be taken in the context of my only having sampled well-aged tins of this blend...

This is hard to review because the two vintages are radically different. In fact, if I tried these in a "blind test taste" setting, I would never guess they were the same blend! The 2000 is very sweet, and as the bowl progressive it shifts from being a latakia-forward blend to one that seems all about the orientals. Exotic notes and powerful blasts of spice that remind me of sandalwood, myrh, and even patchouli seem to overwhelm the smoke. Both types of latakia play only supporting roles. If I didn't like complexity so much I would consider it almost too busy to enjoy, but as it is I'm thrilled by it. It smokes relatively cool and isn't overly bitey, although it's a good idea not to rush it.

The 2003 mixture is quite a different beast, however. While the oriental notes are there and the Cyprian lat remains in the background, the Syrian is MUCH more pronounced. Some people describe it's flavor as wine-like, but this is the first time I've ever agreed with that description. The blend seems stronger, heavier, and mustier than the older batch. It's still nice, but there's an almost funky sour-sweet undertone to the blend that reminds me (vaguely) of some Dunhill mixtures. It's not as complex, but makes up for that loss with a much fuller flavor. I prefer the older batch, but this is still VERY good stuff.

In summary: Renaissance is apparently meant to be a medium-strength "English" mixture, which to me entails that it should have an appreciable amount of latakia but should nonetheless be all about balance. After having been thoroughly aged, however, I'm inclined to describe the earlier batch as having veered headlong into "Balkan" territory. The later batch, on the other hand, seems more balanced but still has such an exotic flavor profile that I can't really compare it to any other English blend. It's a shame that Syrian lat isn't available, as I would certainly buy more of this if it were still on the market. I've only had the chance to sample as single tin of Bohemian Scandal, but in all honesty I prefer Renaissance.

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

My fourth experience with GLPease blends, or "I thought I would hate this tobacco, and ended up liking it". Why did I expect to hate it? Simple, because so far I have had bad experiences with light/medium English mixtures: I simply can't find anything of interest in stuff like Celebrated Sovereign, for example. When I think of English, I want something full and latakia laden!!! So my fears were understandable: opening the can, I was welcomed with a blend that looked and smelled very similar to Celebrated Sovereign, with an amount of lighter coloured leaf quite too high for my taste. And the aroma? My nose could detect just a whiff of smell, and almost nothing of the deep smokiness that I immediately associate with Latakia. The tobacco was finely cut and rather pressed, and I took some ribbons to fill my Le Nuvole, a pipe exclusively dedicated to English mixtures. I lit, very easily, and I began to kneel sending virtual apologies to Mr. Pease... After a few puffs, I had already understood that this is the ultimate English blend for me, a symphony of taste that almost equals London Mixture by Dunhill, but less powerful and nauseating. This is the proof that a perfect EM does not have to rely on latakia only, but that the secret of a perfect full taste lies in a careful balance of the components: just the right dose of Virginias (too many of the and you get the sweetish Standard Mixture Medium), the right dose of Orientals (too many and you get Durbar, which I find a bit harsh and "empty", too little and you get something boring like Celebrated Sovereign) and the right dose of Latakia (too much and you get something delicious, but not as complex and refined like Renaissance). From top to bottom of the bowl the taste is always great, strong but not overwhelming, an experience in which all the tobaccos complement each other without ever dominating: only a slight harshness emerges here and there and makes this tobacco fall slightly short of the four stars mark (another reason for this fall from perfection is that I found that it quickly loses taste a very few days after the tin has been opened). Many different nuances emerge from time to time, adding even more interest. No relightings (if you pack correctly), no fuss, and at the end you have a dry light grey ash. Very often I find myself craving for another bowl after the first one, which is very uncommon for me. Mephisto and Odyssey seem to contain more Latakia, but Renaissance for me has a taste which is fuller, more complete (this is not meant to say that the other two are bad, mind me!): probably it is also due to the nice and rare interplay of Cyprian and Syrian Latakia (while other English mixtures only rely on one of the two), probably it's just a touch of Greg's wizardry... Who cares? What matters is that I love this tobacco, and I hope that one day it will be imported officially here in Europe, too!!!

Smoking_Strider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking_Strider (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Oh where to even begin with this one, This is one of the best tobaccos I have ever tried. I got a couple of tins off of Ebay and convinced myself to open one up and give it a try, and for about the last week this is the only thing I have smoked. I really didn't like it at first, but I know now that's because I smoked it much too fast. If you ever get a chance to try this by golly smoke it slow. If you smoke it with restraint and keep the tobacco from getting to hot it truly is a symphony of flavors! I opened a tin from 2004 and that really gave the Virginias time to mature, its very sweet and smokey with hints of chocolate, cocoa, nuts, walnuts; its sweet, its sour, its very complex. I get different flavors every time I smoke it. Though, if you smoke it too fast it will destroy your tongue and just end up tasting very sour and ashy. I can see now why it was such a tragedy this is no longer in production. If you ever have the opportunity to get a tin of this, I implore you to!

Purchased From: Ebay

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

At the risk of offering a superfluous review, I'll just throw in my two cents on this discontinued blend, since tins are still to be found on eBay and in private cellars.

I'm currently smoking a tin from 2004, and it is a fantastic combination of incense-like Syrian latakia (from a truly memorable vintage), delicious Cyprian, and a delightful balance of Virginias and orientals. Among the Pease range of discontinued Syrians, Renaissance is tied for second place with Bohemian Scandal (to my palate), behind #1 Raven's Wing. Only you can decide if it's worth $50/tin (or whatever it'll be going for on eBay when you read this), but since that breaks down to only about $2.50 per 45-minute bowlful, I can't imagine passing up the chance to experience this.

Lbarraa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lbarraa (29)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Don`t you have five stars in this ranking? This is one of my favorites english blends, may be the best together with Bohemian Scandal, My Mixture 965 and Nigthcup. The aroma of the tobacco in the tin remembers me higos, nuts and grass. The blends is easy burning, a litle agressive with the people around. The taste is just great, all you can wait for a english blend, a perfect balance betwen the orientals, latakias (cyprian and Syrian)and the virginias. Is my favorite Dark Lord`s (AKA GL Pease) english blend! You must try this wonderfull tobacco

pipenewbie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipenewbie (5)

A very nice tobacco. I don't know if I can call it an all day smoke because its richness builds on you, but surely it would be welcome for a good portion of the day.

I cannot really detect the orientals, but the latakia comes through when sampling the bag aroma and also during initial lightup. It has less latakia and orientals than my beloved British Woods, but that is not a bad thing. BW is superb, but it can be heavy. Renaissance is markedly lighter without being flat and is therefore an excellent alternative. (If British Woods is my coffee then Renaissance is my tea).

Also as the weather gets warmer, I have noticed BW seems almost too heavy whereas Renaissance is almost perfect for spring temperatures.

The room note of Renaissance doesn't sit too well with the wife, but when outside it is somewhat complimentary. I smoked it during the Super Bowl and got evil looks from my wife and daughters. However during Easter, smoking on the deck, they gave it a "not too bad".

It does smoke very dry. Before you know it, it is almost gone from your bowl.

All throughout the bowl, Renaissance does not misbehave. As a newbie, a FNG, to pipe smoking--if this is what is meant by an English blend--I will be smoking English for a long time to come.

AL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AL (24)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant

I recently purchased five different blends from this company based on the reviews I read here. I saved this one for last and as it turns out, I saved the best for last. Not that I was dissapointed by the others but this one receives a wow from me. First of all there is a quality in the cut of the tobacco, it is consistent and very easy to pack and light.

I have always thought that a lot of my smoking pleasure comes from the little whifs of smoke I breath in through the nose. This tobacco gives me a great enjoyment this way and I find myself trying to catch the aroma off the top more than other tobaccos that I smoke, many of which are more Latakia.

This tobacco is rated medium to full by others, I find it to be very full in the taste side and somewhat mild so far as nicotine strength goes. I smoke a little wet and a high nicotine tobacco is usually hard going in the final inning, this one isn't. Just wish I could spell Renaissance without double checking. Oops ?

This is another of Greg's masterpieces. It burns well, smokes well, has a wonderful complexity,but............ Yes, there is a but. I found this blend a little too bland,there I said it. I much prefer the flavor of Oddysey or Charing Cross, and IMO nothing has surpassed the greatness of Raven's Wing.(trust me, I have been searching since it went out of production). If given a choice between other blenders of English or this, of course this one would be the one. This review was given after 3 tins in various pipes to give me as much experience with it as possible, but with other great ones in the Pease line, I have to pass this one for now........ Update: 7-10-03 The new batch of this blend is truly delicious, IMO this is the best "English" blend that I have ever tasted. If it were not for the other delicious blends by Greg, this would be my favorite. As Greg stated, the Syrian Latakia that is in this blend is truly tastier than the last batch. Enjoy...

Renaissance is the second G.L. Pease blend I ordered from Cupojoes (the other being Barbary Coast). I must say this is one of the best Latakia-Oriental-Virigina mixtures I have tried in years. It is full of different flavours, spicy, allowing the different components to expand and mingle to form a tapestry of delicately balanced counterpoints.

It is different form most English tobaccos (be it Dunhills? or Gawiths?) in that the Latakias used are not as ?harsh? or powerful. In fact the Orientals in Renaissance seem rather disciplined (though by no means tame) and harmonious, not overshadowing the Virginias? mildness. I don?t mean to say that Renaissance is ?better? than traditional English-English (I still find London Mixture, 965 or even Squadron Leader top smoking material), but it is definitely different, mysterious and ?deep?.

The interplay of flavours, the excellent burning rate and the perfectly structured body of the mixture as a whole, provide a wonderful smoke. I think this is a tobacco every Latakia-Oriental-Virginia smoker should try. It is absolutely enjoyable and a very rewarding experience.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Appearance: Medium ribbon cut, nice assortment of lengths. A full spectrum of colors, mostly medium and dark with some noticeable lighter leaf.

Aroma: A very full oriental aroma, spiciness and smokiness predominate. If you persevere you will also detect some wonderful virginia sweetness. The turkish and latakia definitely are the stars.

Packing: Very easy to pack in a wide range of pipes, but not tried in anything smaller than a ?group 3+?.

Lighting: Takes a charring light well, usually does not go out during the initial tamp.

Initial flavor: Flavor is just what I expected from the aroma, only more intense. There is quite a bit of latakia flavor, (both the sweeter Cyprian and the smokier Syrian are evident), but the main sensation is the turkish spice. The virginias are in the background here, but lend a roundness o the smoke.

Mid-bowl: By mid bowl, all the flavors come through with subtlety. They are all there, but nothing dominates more than momentarily. The smoke is cool at any normal puffing rate, and the pipe is dry. The ash is a lovely shade of pale gray. This is a blend that can be enjoyed even if your mind is busy elsewhere, but if you give it your full attention, it can carry you away. Some have used musical analogies to describe this blend, usually likening it to a symphony. To me, it?s more like one of Schubert?s string trios.

Finish: End of the bowl is too soon. There is usually no dottle, just gray fluffy ash. If you smoked slowly, your pipe cleaner won?t even get very dirty.

Summary: This is definitely a blend for the oriental lover, also recommended for the latakia lover (unless he?s a latakia junkie). Extremely well balanced, rich, tasty and well behaved.

Rev. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Smoke (20)

I will state my one complaint against Mr. Pease tobacco first - the doggone tin is too small - not that there isn't a full 2 oz, it is too small to pack a pipe over the tin. You end up with tobacco on your desk or lap as you trickle it into the bowl, a real pain. That said, there is nothing else to complain about. The tin aroma is rich in Latakia on first opening, but that mellows and the VAs and Balkan come through after a bit. It expands nicely in the charring light and takes a match very easily. At first, it appears that the wonderful Latakias battle for dominance over the Orientals. Then, a couple puffs later, the Balkan makes an appearance setting the stage for a three frontal assault upon both palate and olfactory senses. Finally, the Viriginas make their presence felt and add a new dimension. These four flavors continue the struggle - each rising and falling in a wonderful complexity that tantalizes with each puff. The smoky room note has wonderful nutty overtones. While I give the battle scene as an image of how the flavors compete for my attention, this isn't a bad thing. Instead, this tension throughout give Renaissance its distinctive charm. Too many times, one flavor dominates a blend to the exclusion of the others. The flavors in this blend compete on equal footing - blended in such a way that all the charms of each of the individual tobaccos take the stage in a dynamic struggle. Only as you smoke it do you understand, they are not fighting one another - each is fighting for your attention - and you give it, willingly, the battle staged in your own mind of which one you find most enticing. In the end, I decided it was a stalemate and packed another bowl for a rematch.

Simenon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simenon (20)

I have recently opened a tin from 2002 having just lost a tin of Winter's Tale and a tin of Mephisto to rust...

The smell upon opening the tin is all understated elegance. Not an overwhelming wave of latakia, just the odour of nice, subtle English blend (btw, can someone tell the -- new -- folks at c&d that an English blend does not contain Burley? Thanks.)

The tobacco was mercifully still intact -- no hidden rust spots this time around. It was springy and only very few of the strands had developed something resembling those tell-tale crystals.... More like a powder really, As soon as I lit it, the smoke felt incredibly silky, smooth -- its hard not to sound like a commercial here! It is odd, the va's must have been the cause of this enveloping, caressing smoke that if anything, made me think of wine. Good wine. Or the Turkish? I don't know.... And that's what was odd -- but nice -- all the elements came together to give me an extraordinary and yet refined smoking experience. So Renaissance is more than the whole of its parts, the sign of a successful blend to be sure. Lets also add that age -- my tin was about 14 years old when I opened it -- played a non negligible role in the marvelous time I had smoking this tobacco. I would say that overall, Greg's English blend are meant to age (setting aside his burley and Kentucky df stuff and later newish creations, which I don't smoke anyways) and after 10 years they really come into their own. So that's it: I am now on the market for some of his masterpieces with at least 12 years on them! (It will be cheaper than cigars at any rate!). Summary: Renaissance is highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Upshall; Dunhill; Castello; Arnold's; Ser Jacopo

Age When Smoked: 14 years old

Purchased From: Pipestud's great website

Similar Blends: Nothing I can think of..

At nearly 13 years, the creamy Orientals are still dominate. The Latakia is still a stong undernote. A fairly well-balanced mixture; while a shame it is no longer in production, not so fantastic I would seek it out on the secondary market. Stonger fans of Oriental with solid but lesser Latakia might consider it though. If this had a 5 star system, this would be a solid 4, after some debate I decided to go with 3 rather than 4 out of 4.

Pipe Used: briars, meers, & cobs

Age When Smoked: 12 years, 11 months

Purchased From: gift

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)

Update three years later..... The obnoxious greenness has indeed abated; I now pronounce it cured. It may have completed its journey after only two years in the can. I forgot I had an open tin until recently. I owed Greg this update, but not an apology- it really was initially nasty. Do I like it? Well... Yes, the tin I smoke from is quite adequate, damn good even, but having been opened in 2005, it has lost its subtle graces. The closest I can compare it to is Squadron Leader, a favorite of mine. I'm too cheap to crack open a fresh tin due to its appreciation on the open market; my tins will become gifts instead to a few pipe snobs who have taught me much.

From 2005: I hate to keep pissing on GLP blends, especially this one, his only 4-star (with more than 5 reviews) as of this writing. From the ingredients, it ought to be my favorite. I enjoy the smoky phenolic tin aroma and virtually every characteristic about it... but the flavor. All I can taste is harsh latakia with an undertone of coarse steel wool. Extremely dry, ammoniacal and *green, like uncured tobacco, like drying latex paint. Orientals? Can't taste any.

My (second) tin is now six months old, and I'm praying for a mellowing effect with age. Raven's Wing started the same way, but became smokeable after a year, and very nicely so.

This may be a bad lot or it may be my body chemistry. Why similar C&D blends with similar (same?)leaves don't share this quality is a mystery.

I cannot recommend what I dislike, but will give it two stars, borrowing one from a hopefully better update in December.

* I use the term "green" as a euphemism for harsh, raw, astringent and noxious. I've grown tobacco and unfortunately recognize greenness when I taste it. This has it.

final_id Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
final_id (35)

Although I've rated Renaissance as "I smoke this on occasion," I did so more because I believe this is a high-quality tobacco, than because I actually liked it. I was searching the reviews and descriptions for tobaccos that might have the tangy tinge that I liked so much from Balkan 15 (by Smoke 'n' Snuff of Florida) and was very impressed with G.L.Pease's Samarra. So I branched out into his selections, trying recently Charing Cross and now Renaissance. Well, I find Renaissance as high-quality as the others, but much less Latakia than I'd like. It is a well-rounded, nutty, sometimes beefy taste, and that disappoints me. I want that Darjeeling thing. So I find the tin description ever so slightly misleading on Renaissance -- "a good measure of Cyprian and Syrian Latakia" should be reworded as "a hint of ...". It's largely a Virginia blend, to my unrefined palate, and it has more nicotine than I'd like.

I'll continue with this one tin for another few bowlfuls, unless someone emails me (hint hint) to offer a trade of my remaining Renaissance (approx. 1.99999 oz.) for Samarra or another zingy tangy blend by G.L.Pease, maybe Cairo or ... what's that other one ... Barbary Coast? Can't remmeber. Hint hint.

So, it's a high-quality smoke, but not the type I was looking for. People who like Virginia-based English blends with only the sneakiest suspicion of an Oriental zip to it would LOVE this tobacco -- hence the many positive reviews. I find it is too, umm, cigar-like, beefy, what's the word -- unhealthy tasting. Reminds me of musty old stogies.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)

Intrigued by the mixture of Syrian and Cyprian Latakia dancing clouds of sublime smoke above my head, and not to mention the rave reviews here, I had to give a go. First I bought a pound, well just in case, anyway, nice strands of brown, gold, black, with a bit of green? Not sure, maybe some cavendish. Tobacco comes as all Greg Pease blends do, just right. Packing was easy enough, so it was time to light it up, the charring light produced voluminous amounts of smoke, and what a treat, the olfactory senses were working overtime trying to assimilate the varying tobaccos. As with all blends, this too, changed it's complexity down the bowl, Virginia's wafting in and out, with the dueling Latakia's bouncing around, with the Oriental's as support. This left a nice grey ash, with no dottle, and a pleased palate, good stuff!