Virginia and Burley cut plug, then rubbed-out.

BrandOrlik Tobacco Company A/S
Strength
Taste
2.1
Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)

Despite some of the reviews for this tobacco, I actually quite like it. The cut and strength reminds me of Larson's Old Belt Ready Rubbed, but with just a touch of honey. Smooth, rich smoke, with a light honey top note, which is easy to light and burns right though to the bottom of the bowl to a light grey ash. As with so many Danish style tobaccos, it will smoke a litle hot and dry if abused.

ewlship Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ewlship (14)

I didn't care much for this tobacco at first, but about half way through the tin I began to find it more tolerable. I don't detect the "mild honey dew" in aroma or taste. This tobacco does have a sweetness too it, but I wouldn't describe it as fruity. Smoke it slow, it burns pretty hot. If I puff away too much, it tastes like smoking pencil shavings. Two stars from me, I doubt I would buy it again.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Take this review with a grain of salt as this review is based on a tin with quite a bit of age on it. Upon first glance the cut and color reminded me of Royal Yacht. There is no comparison here to Royal Yacht other than in appearance. ROMH had a sweet fermented tin scent that I found inviting. I didn't receive any tongue bite nor did I taste any honey flavor. ROMH is not overly cased as the tobacco flavor shines through with both the Virginias and Burley both making themselves known. Maybe the age of my tin offered a better experience than that of the other reviewers? Given the choice of this blend or Gawith Hoggarth's Rich Dark Honeydew, I prefer GH's much more. Recommended if you can obtain an aged tin.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Orlik Rubbed-out Mild Honeydew is a nice blending of Virginia and burley tobaccos, pressed into a plug and then rubbed out. The tobacco is a relatively uniform golden-brown color, packed at a nice moisture level, and with a pleasantly enticing aroma. The mixture of Virginia and burley is, in my opinion, a good one, and so I was drawn to try this blend. The charring light brings forth the promise of the tobaccos combined, with a sweetness imparted by the Virginia and a mellow nuttiness from the burley. Once actually lit, this same flavor comes through, though with what I found to be a relatively strong attack on the tongue. Smoked carelessly, this is a blend which I think could in fact easily scorch the smokers tongue. Once well into the bowl the nice sweetness and mellow, burley nuttiness overcome the bite, and the smoke settles down quite pleasantly. At this point, the promise of the two tobaccos is really delivered, and the smoking experience becomes quite pleasant. I'm nor sure from where the name is derived, judging by the taste, though perhaps it is the pouch aroma rather than the flavor which is used. Sadly, toward the end of the bowl the heat returns. The tobacco again becomes something to sip at rather than to puff, and a lot of the pleasure of the mid-bowl is again lost. I found this most unfortunate, because it really makes this blend into a promise somewhat unfulfilled. I believe that there are better blends available which offer the smoker the same combination of tobaccos. Rather than seeking out this one, I would suggest that the smoker take the search to other blends.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Not too tasty. Im really not an aromatic sort and I am not qualified. but CAO Dan Tobacco has a sweet vanilla honeydew that is a little better at same price.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Taste like melon rines. If this appeals to you- you will like it.

D'Jullius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D'Jullius (19)
Very Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I am a tobacco fan, and I am tolerant. This stained my Savinelli with its foulness that took several bowls for the flavor to leave. It honestly taste of smoked honeydew melon rines, sour and foul with no detectable sweetness. I hope for Orlik (Whom I Love) I had a bad tin.

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well I was expecting a little more out of this. It has some strong points: still tastes like tobacco and the casing is very well executed. On the other hand it is not the crowd pleaser it should be and it is a bit too mild. Maybe aromatic lovers would appreciate it more. I will move on to the next beehive...

I am a big fan of the late, lamented Gallaher's Rich Dark Honeydew, so I often try other Honeydew blends in the hopes of finding something similar. I struck out again......

Orlik's Rubbed Out Mild Honeydew is rubbed out and mild and does have a "honey" like flavoring. So, give this blend 5-stars for honesty.

It is a sweet and mild tasting blend that just couldn't get the job done for me. It burns easily and a tad hot.

The search continues.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I was sent a sample of this when I ordered some tobacco online. I generally smoke English blends, but enjoy a nice, smooth aromatic from time to time. This one was anything but smooth, however. I found it to bite beyond what I could tolerate, and I didn?t find any of the nice honey flavor from the tin making it into the taste when smoking. Hardcore Danish aromatic fans might enjoy it, but I don?t think I?ll be going back for any more.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The slogan on this tin is "smoked by all shrewd judges". Well, this is certainly a balanced tobacco. I can detect the honeydew sweetness, but it is mild and is balanced out by the burley. This blend does smoke a bit hot, but if you respect it and don't puff too fast, you should have no problem with tongue bite. It is a pleasing blend that will not leave after notes in your best briars and it does produce a very pleasant room note for the wife.

I want to again emphasize that this blend, while containing a little sweetness, is not overwhelming. Think of the mild sweetness of the honeydew melon, not maple syrup.

Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

This review may not be fair since the new tin was received with the vacuum seal broken. This was a first for me. However, the tobacco was not too dry especially after I added a humidifier for several days. Smokes slightly hot for my taste and I don't really sense the honey taste or aroma. Rubbed out evenly as advertised but I prefer flakes so that I can adjust my packing to various pipes and anticipated smoking conditions. I would choose their Golden Slices based on this and taste.

Kendal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kendal (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When your sweet tooth kicks in this is one to try. It isn't sticky sweet, just gives a little pizzazz to the palate. I felt no tongue-bite at all even after repeated bowls. Very satisfying smoke even if your sweet tooth isn't talkin' to you. I just like it for an anytime bowl. Good stuff.