A blend of golden, fully ripe Virginia leaves from the traditional districts of the United States and a smidgen of perique. Natural sweetness and freshness with hints of citrus.

Notes: Previous edits to this blend have averred that a dispute exists whether or not Golden Sliced contains perique. It does. Please note that the website stglanepipe.com states on its Orlik page that certain of its blends (including Golden Sliced) contain "fully ripe Virginia and a little perique." Moderator.

BrandOrlik Tobacco Company A/S
PipesAndCigars.com
Strength
Taste

3.4

Perique? There is a very slight spice note, and it's all the perique has to offer. Obviously only a pinch or two of it is present. I get a sweet, citrus with a slight tanginess and a fair amount of grass from the Virginia, and I suspect there's a touch of burley in it. The topping is mildly citrusy with perhaps a hint of apricot. The nic-hit is mild. Won't bite or get harsh. Burns a little slow, depending upon how you break up the flake, with a very clean and cool consistent flavor all the way through. Leaves very little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, short lived after taste. An easy going all day, uncomplicated mild smoke that doesn't wear out its welcome. Three and a half stars.

Captain bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain bob (38)
Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

I've appreciated Flake tobacco for over forty years. Coming back to OGS was like visiting an old friend. In OGS, Orlik has produced what I consider to be the "primo" of Flakes. I can honestly say that I have never smoked a Flake I didn't like. But, OGS is special. It is the best presentation of Flake tobacco I have had the pleasure to enjoy. I love those thin slices that hold together, fold and pack easily. An easy light, wonderulf taste, no bite and very satisfying smoke. If OGS was the only blend available to me, I could be satisfied to smoke it for as long as my puffer holds out. A true Masterpiece of Flake tobacco. An investment in pure satisfying pleasure.

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)

Orlik Golden Sliced (Red) is described on the English language label as being "composed of golden Virginia tobaccos with a touch of perique." Readers of this and other pipe tobacco forums are aware of the fact that for years the label listed a touch of burley rather than perique. A spokesperson for the Scandinavian Tobacco Group has asserted that the previous mention of burley was a mistranslation (?!) The debate continues to rage as to whether Golden Sliced has perique. I always thought so even when the label did not so state, not because I tasted perique, but because I got a slight perique tingle when exhaling the smoke through my nose.

I personally do not think the perique versus burley controversy matters at all. Golden Sliced should be considered just a Virginia flake--and a very fine one at that. The taste for me has a slight citrus undertone, not perique. I do not taste burley. Burley in small amounts will smooth out a mixture, but it takes a significant amount for the burley taste to come through. (Kentucky, smoked burley, asserts its taste with much smaller amounts.)

For me, this is a golden Virginia with a taste on the mild side of medium and a pleasant room note. The label directs "rub the tobacco slices gently before filling your pipe." I have had equal success both with a gentle rub out and just cramming the thin slices down into the pipe.

Golden Sliced is well behaved for a Virginia in the bite category.

This tobacco holds up well when frequently smoked. Some tobaccos tire the taste and are best smoked as a change of pace. Not so with OGS. I have not given it the fourth star, but I seriously considered it.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)

I've been smoking this flake tobacco for many, many years and after reading the reviews I have gotten many, many laughs. Let me set the record straight; THIS TOBACCO HAS NEVER EVER HAD PERIQUE IN IT, NOR DOES IT NOW HAVE PERIQUE IN IT. The label on the back of the tin has always said "Virginia and Burley",but all of a sudden the maker says they meant to say "Perique" when they said "burley". The maker of this fine tobacco knows darn well between the two tobaccos and their spelling. Ok, enough of my soapbox. This is true pressed Virginia with a just a smidgen of burley tobacco blended in. Smooth,satisfying, and tangy. The burley tobacco gives this flake a roundness. A very fine flake I've been puffing on for more than thirty years.

NOTICE: Look back on reviews of this tobacco a few years ago before the maker stated there was perique in the blend. You will see no mention of tasting any perique in the blend at all.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (63)

Highly economical, but don't be fooled. This is a top notch flake: rich in natural tobacco flavour and aroma, satisfying yet mild enough to be smoked all day.

For my taste this is the perfect VaPer. The tiny smidgeon of perique gives Orlik Golden Sliced an added freshness without becoming too noticeable on its own. Perique, like latakia, can impart real magic to a blend when used as a condiment. If you like good Virginia tobacco but find straight Virginia blends a bit one-dimensional, OGS is an ideal remedy.

Packing and smoking couldn't be simpler. I simply grab enough tobacco for a bowlful, fold and massage it to the shape of a football, and then air pocket the resulting clump into the chamber, evening off the top with my thumbs. Burns beautifully.

Pipe Used: Bjarne

Similar Blends: Former - Cross Grain Flake.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (49)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

For the price, there is no better VA flake out there. And it beats out almost everything else anyway, regardless of price. The Perique in the blend is extremely subtle, and is hardly detectible once this stuff as some age on it. It would even be a stretch to call this a Va/Per. I have a hundred tins of this brooding for the tobacco apocalypse and plan on buying many more. It's smooth, sweet, and creamy with grassy citrus notes and a subtle hint of spice every now and again. And on special occasions when the pipe tobacco gods are smiling down on me, midway through the bowl the creaminess builds up to the point where it's like sweet butter. I dream at night about smoking this stuff.

Pipe Used: MM Cob, Orlik Prince Regent, Peterson Meerschuam

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars, Salt Lake City, UT

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake, Capstan Blue.

This one lives up to the hype. Honey sweet notes of citrus. A touch of hay or straw. Simple, but delicious. There is just the slightest amount of spice. Doesn't seem Periquey to me. More like a Virginia spice. If this has Perique I can't taste it. Just a marvelous, very relaxing smoke.

Mild to medium in body. Same for flavor but mostly medium. Ready to smoke right out of the tin. Burns very well.

On a side note: When I smoke a tobacco for review I always push it a time or two to see how it responds. This is one you don't want to push. The hay-like flavor comes strongly to the front and it gets very harsh. A horse might like that but I don't. Slow and easy will reward you with a top notch smoke. A puffer will suffer.....heh, made a rhyme that time.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Nick M. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick M. (2)

Smoking Qualities - Phenomenal to rub and pack, even better (and longer) smoke when gently folded and screwed into the bowl using air pocket method. Burns evenly with no bite when smoked mindfully.

Flavor - Charring light provides a toasty sweet Va flavor, very clean and warm. Three matches lit a fold n stuff bowl. In the first third, the perique and the harsher notes are apparent. The second third releases a sweeter flavor which lets the Va shine. The final (best) and most complex third has the best balance of flavor, between the mellowed sweetness, built darker notes of leather and nut, and the gentle reminder of perique spice.

Finish - Great burned chocolate and leathery toasted nut flavor, spice ever so slowly fades away. Perfect finish IMO.

Price to Value - Worth way more than what it costs, a top notch tobacco, for the beginner or pro.

As for the perique debate, I am not qualified to judge, but it seems excessively spicy to be composed entirely of Vas to me. Has that nice perique burn through the nose.

Will cellar for a year and report back.

Pipe Used: Peterson Aran Straight Billiard

Age When Smoked: One month

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (64)

I consider Orlik Golden Sliced to be one of the quintessential VaPers (the other being Solani 633), against which I judge all others. It comes in long flakes that have a strong aroma of licorice, a citrusy/honey taste and considerable sweetness, which are the hallmarks of good Virgina tobacco. I used to rub it out before smoking but have found that, like most flakes, it smokes longer, cooler and stronger if I just fold it and stuff it in my pipe (although this requires a extra few relights to get it going).

I am intrigued by the debate over whether OGS contains perique. I would point out that perique is a type of burley tobacco and therefore the statement that previously graced the OGS label, that it contained burley, is not surprising or incorrect. As to whether it contains perique, if Orlik says it does then I assume it does because their's is a reputable company and I don't believe they would make false claims about their tobaccos (not to mention that doing so would be illegal). That said, I would note that, among VaPers, OGS probably has relatively less perique than some others.

All in all, if you like Virginia tobacco or want to learn what it is all about, you couldn't do better than to try OGS. It's moderate price makes it a real bargain, when one considers the amount of pleasure that it delivers.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: I usually age it for a year or so before smoking

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If you like pure tobacco taste that carries just a tiny hint of sweetness, then this stuff will work for you. It contains enough nicotine to satisfy the most ardent veteran, and because it does taste like tobacco, I suggest that aromatic fanciers look elsewhere.

Because it is a flake, it can be rubbed out to any degree you like. The slices are just a tad on the moist side, so, some may prefer to let it air out a bit before smoking. I like to fully rub my flake tobacco and find the 'baccy dries quicker that way.

As for the Perique debate; my take is this; if a blend has Perique that cannot be tasted in the blend, then I don't call it a VaPer. Golden Sliced, in the form that I smoked, was NOT a VaPer. (-:

If you want a light and flavorful tobacco tasting smoke that can be enjoyed all day long, then look here. If you want something sweeter and less tobaccoyee, then look elsewhere.

p120d16y Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p120d16y (19)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This has been my favorite tobacco since I first tried it. I'm primarily a VaPer smoker, and this just hits it home. It's very similar to Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake with an addition of bergamot orange essence to it. I really can't speak highly enough about it. It's not a very nicotine strong blend, but it's burn qualities and flavor make it a great any time or all day smoke. This is a blend (most blends do anyway) which really shines when you keep it as cool as possible, taking only a few sips here and there to keep the pipe lit. Don't puff it too fast. Sidestreams of citrus/bergamot back and forth over hay/grass/perique. Great also if you add just a tiny smidge of extra perique. I dedicate at least 1-2 pipes to just this blend. The nuances can really come to life when you dedicate and have only OGS cake.

Pipe Used: briars, meerschaums, pyrolytic graphite, cob, pear

Age When Smoked: fresh, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Piepensmöker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piepensmöker (17)

This flake is, besides MacBaren Navy, a must try in the flakes segment for every pipe smoker. It is perfectly balanced and interesting fresh, as much as rounded aged. Like all Virginias it can bite, if pushed, but sipped slowly, develops a wonderful spring like taste. Tin note is like fruity hay, similar to freshly mowed spring grass after a few days in the sun and the taste is quite robust. Fully recommended.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

No two ways about it, this is simply a delightful, elegant smoke. A delectable lingering sweetness on the palate, combined with a delicious tangy spiciness dominates the first half of the bowl. The smoke is smooth, incredibly flavorful and has no bite whatsoever. For the price, Golden Sliced is quite possibly the best tinned Virginia flake on the market. It has a sweet, fruity malt-like aroma reminiscent of Stokkebye's Twist Flake. This flake is absolutely marvelous when folded and stuffed into the pipe. Perique? I believe it's there, but it's just enough to amplify and slightly augment the flavor.

End bowl flavors do ramp up and become more complex. The heel of the bowl finishes woody and somewhat astringent but it's not at all unpleasant. As far as performance is concerned, this flake burns so perfectly it practically smokes itself.

Golden Sliced is simply a must try for any fan of Virginia flakes. For me this flake is the chef's pantry equivalent of quality canned tomatoes. It's a must have and for the price I usually double my pleasure and opt for the big 100g tin whenever I purchase it. Hey you only live once, right?

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: 2

Jack The Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jack The Bear (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Love at first smoke. In the good old days Golden Sliced was my constant companion on whitewater canoe trips as much as my paddle and vest were. It required the briefest Flick-of-my-Bic to light after a fast Fold-n-Thumb into a capped briar while between sets of rapids or off the river. The Orlik tin kept the Wrigley-like slices of Virginia truly dry even when the canoe dumped or I was tossed. A bonus that a pouch never provided.

If you're a piper who doesn't need to try every new blend on the shelf, one that needs blends that challenge your skills as a pipe smoker, or simply a piper that has his tastes sorted out and knows good leaf is, then I strongly suggest you give Orlik GS a try. It cooperates going into the bowl with a minimum of skill and the burn needs very little attention to provide a slow, gentle, cool and sweet smoke that my senses enjoy right to the bowl's bottom. I cannot think of a better Virginia flake for a newcomer to the uncased leaf.

Orlik Golden Sliced is perfect from 10 AM until dinner and I've never tired of it. It smokes as well now and tastes as soft and sweet as it did over 30 years ago. I must say that although this blend is now rumored to contain some Perique, I have yet to taste it as such. Perhaps it's there but I wouldn't hesitate to call this a pure Virginia. Though I highly recommend this Orlik and it's near the top of my Terrific Ten, it's no longer available in Canada (August 2017) so until a new importer and distributor steps on to the rink, I'll continue to source it from abroad or my southern neighbour.

Pipe Used: A slough of briars over a 30 year period

Age When Smoked: Straight from the tin

Purchased From: Burlingtons-on-Whyte, Canada

Similar Blends: There are a host of decent Virginia flakes available now an I do smoke a variety of them but to me, Orlik Golden Sliced is unmatched..

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (62)

This is just my first impression as I'm writing this while enjoying my second bowl. I will later edit it if by the end of the tin any of this review is affected.

First off the blend does have Perique in it. PipesMagazine.com's Kevin Godbee did an article on it some years back and said that the people at Orlik mentioned the Burley was a misprint from an incorrect translation. The blend does not have any Burley in it, but does in fact have some Perique in it.

The tin note I got was kind of a hay and raisin smell. Mostly that of a nice light sweet Virginia.

The moisture level was, to me, just right.

With the fold and stuff method it loads nicely. It takes a char light and true light nicely. After that it's just your normal maintaining of the bowl.

The flavor I'm getting is mostly that sweet citrus and apricot like flavor with a bit of the hay or grassy notes. The Perique isn't coming through too much. I'm not really getting the fig or peppery notes that it's known for.

It hasn't bit me, but as it's a mostly Virginia blend I'm sure it could if you push it.

The nicotine level is pretty low.

Overall, it's a nice light Virginia blend that you could spend a nice sunny summer day puffing on all day long.

If you're looking to get your feet wet in more natural pipe tobaccos and venture away from aromatics give this blend a try. Also, if you're a heavy English, Balkan, or VaPer guy looking for a nice light natural tobacco for a change of pace or a cleansing of the palate pick up a tin of this.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Rusticated Bing's Favorite

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

Fernalgas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fernalgas (9)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

You can't eat steak and lobster every day, it's just too damn rich. However, you can have a nice sandwich over and over again, at least I can, anyway. Golden Slice to me is that sandwich, it can be smoked everyday and won't leave you too full. It's not a decadent tobacco, it's sweet and mild with hints of citrus and hay. Doesn't really have much perique in it, but it can be spicy at times depending on the volumes of your draws.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Deluxe

Purchased From: Tobacco Store

Similar Blends: Full Virginia Flake & Escudo Navy Deluxe.

Epicur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Epicur (18)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is about the OGS sold in Germany. Over here it is a light aromatic. The German STG catalogue states a pure golden Virginia flake (no perique) with an orange-lemon aromatization (2 out of 5).

The German government states 138 mg aroma per 1000 mg tobacco. This is quite a lot. Stanwell Melange has 122 mg / 1000 mg.

UPDATE Feb 2018: Considerung my discovered love for Mac Baren's Virginia No. 1, I have to readjust to 3.5 Stars. Also in the meantime the casing of OGS tastes more and more annoying for me. I think it is still one of the best virginias out there but no more for me, because I always reach for my MB V1 while the OGS dries out more and more.

In taste and roomnote, there is only a very slight, barely noticeable citrusy aroma. I guess, the aromatization is more an enhacing and smoothig agend (much like flavor enhancers in food).

I think it is the reason for this very smooth and wounderful round taste which should not be possible with such a light virginia (you would expect much more harshness - flake or not).

So, what is ist? To me ,the OGS is a light, golden virginia flake which does taste more virginia-ish than virginia (like strawberry ice cream does taste more strawberry-ish than real strawberrys) -- and it does so in a wonderful and perfect way (and, hey, who doesn't like strawberry ice cream?!).

So, this is a perfect virginia, a perfect summer smoke.

It goes well with a mild fruity coffee, and with Darjeeling tea (esp. first flush) as well as with a fruity Oolong.

Pipe Used: Different Briars

Purchased From: local B&M

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (69)

Agree with those reviewers who say the "dash of perique or burley" issue is not an issue. If there's something else there beside sunny Virginia leaf, it's in such miniscule quantities that it's undetectable.

I'll only reach for a straight Virginia occasionally, but I like this one. Nice roundness to the tin note, which is the classic bright VA aroma of sweet, freshly mowed grass as well as some enjoyable citrus notes. The flakes are well made and the moisture level is just about right. They don't need a whole lot of dry time to smoke well (although it helps), and you can fold and stuff or rub and pack. I find it burns at a very leisurely pace. The nicotine is on the soft side. The flavor is really nice--soft and toasty with a little tang. And my tin seems to be aging very nicely. I'd recommend it, especially given the relatively low price.

Pipe Used: large MM cob

Orlik Tobacco Co. - Golden Sliced.

From the tin it's a little moist, but nothing too dramatic. I like to rub Golden Sliced, which is a relatively simple task. And then, after an easy lighting, it's on with the smoke.

It's an exceedingly 'bright' tasting blend. Very sprightly, honey sweet, Virginia, forms the prominent part of the flavour. There's some contention regarding whether or not this is a VaPer, and to me there's no actual Perique 'spice', but there is a zestiness alongside the Virginia's.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: nice.

I think this easily merits four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

This is a great Virginia. There seems to be some debate about whether it has any perique. I don't have the most sophisticated palate, but I thought there was a taste of it there. It come out of the tin at a good moisture for me, and I found it easy to tear off a strip (I had the 100 p tin with the long rolled flakes). It is sweet and has a slight orange citrus taste. There is a lot of flavor, and I found it was a great slow smoke in a large bowl. One of my pipes seems made for it, and when the tin was open that was all I smoked in this pipe.

If you think you want to try a tasty Virginia with just a touch of perique, try this. I liked it a lot and highly recommend it.

I've had this 100 gm tin in my cellar for the last 2 years, but always put it off for something else. Finally cracked it and I've finished over half of it. The 2nd half will be an occasional smoke.

I'm very glad others have mentioned the citrus nature of this blend. Specifically, I taste a huge orange essence with a slight bit of lemon. The VA's take center stage and I can't say with any certainty that I tasted burley, unless it's cased with this orange flavor. The entire concoction tastes like it's mildly cased, as it is the most "citrus-y" VA I've ever smoked, even more so than Mac Baren's Virginia #1, and fans of it should also like this one. The tobacco is presented beautifully in spun form and breaks apart easily for rubbing. It came at near-perfect moisture in the tin and I've experimented with various degrees of dryness. It's a very congenial blend, never biting or hot, always smooth and flavorful.

The only downside - if it could be considered one - is that I could never smoke this all day. The orange taste would wear me out. It never dies down, even when bone dry and even down the bowl. When I'm in the mood for it, this tobacco was a refreshing change of pace. When I wasn't, it became a bit cloying. But it's an excellent tobacco and should be tried by every confirmed VA smoker... and from the number of reviews written here, it has! Glad I finally got to it.

CharatansMake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CharatansMake (18)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

What can I write about this tobacco that was not already written before?

It is one of the classic evergreens that keep pipe smokers satisfied for many decades. And yes, I am one of them as I love this tobacco. I think it has the perfect hay/citrus flavor and in my opinion there is definitly a little amount of Periqus involved. it is a inherent part of my tobacco bar and a daily guarantor for pleasure and content. I prefer to rub it.

The Nobel Foundation should add a 'tobacco blender' department and put the creator of this stuff on the list of candidates!

4 stars!

Pipe Used: Charatans! What else?

Age When Smoked: fresh & aged

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (102)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Don’t be fooled by the topping - or good availability, Orlik Golden Sliced is a serious, first quality VA flake. If you are OK with generally-lighter VAs, IMO, the VA tobaccos in OGS are as good as any available today. One great thing about OGS is, you actually get what you smell when you pop the tin: a delicious bouquet of sweet, ripe, fermented, bright through orange VAs topped with orange extract, apricots, and currants, with a slight nuttiness that does not fight for attention, along with faint fig Newtons. I would guess that the tobaccos are flue and air cured, also some stoved leaf, all matured before pressing and slicing into thin, uniform flakes that range from predominately gold to streaks and flecks of medium and medium-dark brown.. The flakes are well formed, and they are easy to fold, spindle, load and light, right out of the tin. It burns down great, concentrating a little, and there is plenty of smoke. I prefer to dry OGS just a little first, then I sip, sniff, and savor it slowly, without re-lights. I find this makes for a truly “refreshing” smoke. Again, it smells and tastes like its tin note, top to bottom, and IMO it sets the bar for the genre. Something unusual about OGS: though its main tobacco scents and flavors are in a “higher register” than some other VA flakes, yet the smoke is rich and smooth, and it comes across as well-balanced. Also, though OGS is fairly mild and very consistent, there is a range of flavors to enjoy. If there is Burly, that might account for the smoothness and a delicate nuttiness, and I suppose that a smidgen of Perique could (possibly…) explain the fig Newtons, although I detect no spices I associate with Perique. Strength builds very smoothly from mild to medium, and the tastes do likewise. Smoked “correctly”, it’s not hot. Room note is pleasant. Aftertaste is either best-of-the-smoke or an ashy version of the best-of-the-smoke, depending on how it’s smoked down.

No holding back, I highly recommend Orlik Golden Sliced to anyone who smokes a pipe, apart from confirmed VA haters or those who smoke for nicotine. Just take it slow and easy, and let the delicate flavors and side streams come to you. Typical of fine VAs, OGS ages well in its sealed tin. Four stars for this venerable flake, and a place on the Classics List.

Pipe Used: dedicated briar

Age When Smoked: fresh to 2 years old

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Similar Blends: Compare/contrast with Savinelli's Brunello Flake; Astley's 109 flake; Fribourg & Treyer Cut VA Plug..

Perdurabo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perdurabo (23)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Orlik Golden Sliced! Yea, I finally opened my tin, as the weather has warmed up. Yes! To end this debate: as To Perique or not To Perique? There's Perique here, just not very much at all. I've been smoking some heavy perique blends lately(I 💘 the stuff),so my palate has developed a sensor for it. I do not pick up perique in the cob, but in a briar it shows itself. Especially DGT. I do not know what Golden Sliced tasted like years and years ago. I don't pretend to be master of subjectivity. I just know that My senses are picking up the perique.

As for the review. Golden sliced is a consistent Virginia flake scented with bergamot. Which to me makes it have a Lakeland quality to it, although very light Lakeland. The room note is beautiful! My wife loves the stuff. The smell of sweet Virginia and faint bergamot, makes one think of cookies In the oven. Nicotine is just about right for those looking for mild to medium.

This is the perfect all day smoke.

Pipe Used: Briar and cob

Age When Smoked: Shrug

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Similar Blends: Light Lakeland.....I mean light!.

Orlik’s Golden Sliced is definitely a friend to flake lovers that enjoy a lot of high notes. The flakes come neatly cut and offer the nose a little bit of citrus, some of which I believe to be manually added. Some may view this as the “poor man’s” Long Golden Sliced, but I think that Golden Sliced is a better tobacco than that moniker describes. The lower price point shouldn’t put you off either. If there is some Perique in LG, it is just a whisper. I know that in addition to the Perique debate, Burley is often debated with this blend too but I don’t taste any. However, I wouldn’t bet the farm on that. The topping smells stronger (especially on an aged tin) in the tin than it tastes in the smoke. GF offers a clean, burning, refreshing smoke. It won’t win any awards in the complexity department, but it’s an enjoyable smoke.

Huskysibe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Huskysibe (2)

What can I say, this is a nice, consistent, smooth tobacco. There's nothing out of the ordinary about it, no super wow factor. Having said that, I will always have some on hand. Its a tobacco you can count on to deliver consistently.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Billiard

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (51)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Very smooth smoke. The tin note is exactly the same as dried apricots with a slight hay like smell. You can detect a little bit of apricot in the smoke, but mostly it's the sweet even toasty hay with a hint of citrus. Very clean tobacco. Really nice and light change of pace. I find the nicotine on the high side as I seem to experience with most virginias.

Pipe Used: Hilson ball

Age When Smoked: 2 months old tin freshly opened

Purchased From: Smoking pipes online

SpeedyPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SpeedyPete (29)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

As a lover of VaPers, OGS is one of my favourites. All the ingredients to make it a superb tobacco are there; good quality virginias, the right amount of perique, NO tongue bite, slow burning, heavenly sweet taste with enough spices to satify any VaPer connoisseur. What more can I say? If you do not have this one in your rotation, you are doing yourself a wrong! Get some today.

Pipe Used: Parker Russet

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Escudo & PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake.

Brukspatron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brukspatron (14)

OGS has a nice grassy hay'is flavor with a little faint hint of citrus that I really like. At the end of the bowl, a weak but pleasant taste of the Perique comes forward. OGS is my personal favorite in the Va /Per mixture class.

MaxAndPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MaxAndPipe (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This was the first tobacco in which I experienced the full joy and pleasure of pipe smoking. While progressing to stronger, more niche tobacco's, Orlik's Golden Sliced has a permanent place among my jars.

First of all I recommend this tobacco with a tall glass of water to refresh the palate, and to be able to discern a list of subtleties that are revealed in the flake. A flake packed not too firmly and with just enough moisture provides everything that can be desired in the realm of sweet Virginias. On first light, the taste is paralell to the tin note. I find it to be a very exciting way to start off a moment with the pipe, and allows for a consistent progression of flavors as the tobacco reveals its hidden and nuanced essences. The initial hay and honey like sweetness matures slowly through the retrohale, developing into a enamoring and subtle perfume, worn by a lady who deserves the time and effort for a close and good taste of it. Be careful not to rush through this flake, a slow and methodical pursuit is essential to the rewarding nature of the blend. While I have never been bitten by this tobacco, hot and neurotic smoking can leave the smokers mouth with a feeling akin to a mouth full of sand and clay the next morning, be warned! I would say this about many Virginia blends, but to Orlik I would be more concerned about pace in order to fully enjoy the tobacco. There are rich maple and honey notes that thicken as the bowl progresses, along with notes near a campfire of dry, sappy pinewood. There is a spice revealed towards the last breaths of the bowl that almost tastes of fine cinnamon in the nose, well complimented by the innate sweetness of the blend. A classic and rewarding smoke to the slow and contemplative smoker. Enjoy and Bless you!

-Max

Pipe Used: Tsuge Bamboo Bent Egg Sitter

Age When Smoked: New~ 1 year

Purchased From: Local Tobacconist

Similar Blends: .

Danno44 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno44 (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A classic flake tobacco. This was my introduction to VA Flake. I find the blend is medium in all areas and very enjoyable. Some say there's perique and maybe there is some, but if it's there, it has a role I don't pick up on. What is front and center is the grassy/citrus flavors that is very pleasant. I smoke this year round. I find it is a refreshing smoke especially during the warmer weather. For me, it smokes best in a couple of my billiards. VA Flake is one of the few tobaccos I have pipes specifically dedicated for. It doesn't matter if I fold and stuff or rub it out, it provides and enjoyable pleasant smoke. On my scale, it is certainly a "cellar it" tobacco and I have.

Pipe Used: Savinelli deLuxe Milano 1028,T. Christano Billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 2 years

smallshinythings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smallshinythings (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

The hay has been noted - and is to be expected with Virginias - as has the sweetness. It is a sweet, grassy smoke, but what sells it to me is something citrusy. I've read orange, and that may be it, but I get a sour note as well; a pleasant sour, mind you. Think grapefruit and lemon.

The citrus is perhaps why I invoke St. Bruno in my similar box. It gives the pipe a very cool feeling, but be careful not to push it, it will bite and it will lose a lot if it heats up too much. I'm claiming a mild to medium for strength as it has quite a bit of body for so much Virginia. Typically I don't experience billows of smoke sipping Va, but this has a fair amount of satisfying smoke, even smoked slowly.

The smoke is silky and smooth across the tongue. Perfect body in that regard, nothing unrefined jumps out. It's a pretty fantastic tobacco, especially in the price range. The lemon from the Va doesn't mark this as an all the time smoke for me, but definitely keeps it on a "look forward to every now and again" relationship with me. It's a nighttime reading tobacco for me, not a nighttime thinking and whiskey tobacco.

I won't weigh in on the Perique question save to say it's not straight Virginia and I don't think it's a burley (well, a not Perique burley, anyway) so I believe the tin. Presuming its existence the Perique is hinted at rather than bludgeoning you. As a guy into Bayou Night, this is not that. But I love it for what it is and recommend it strongly.

The Va is lovely, so if it's alone, it's enough. Hope you give it a try, it's not a 'forget about it' blend nor a contemplative, complex smoke, but if you're up for something between the two this might be just the thing.

Pipe Used: Some basket thing

Age When Smoked: A few months.

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Navy Flake, Mac Baren - St. Bruno Flake.

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (120)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Summary: Sweet with citrus, this confection of tobacco is both boring and an irritant for its deranged topping.

Writers either like or intensely dislike writing negative reviews. It is with no pleasure that I say plain and simply that I hate this tobacco. The flakes have a foam rubber sponginess and are soaked in a citrus concoction that is both cloying and slightly less antagonistic in scent than CS gas. While it burns long and hot, and provides consistent sweet (and citrus-y) smoke, the flavor is one-dimensional and reminds me of candy given to very young children to keep them occupied. The simplistic flavor balance absorbs any Perique to be found here, and then the mixed fruit topping clobbers any remaining taste, leaving only the sweet. Orlik "Golden Sliced" reminds me of those horrible coffee cakes and stale grocery store donuts that one encounters in the morning meetings one least wishes to attend, and has a similar effect on my spirits. I have cellared this by flinging it into the back of my clothes closet where I hope it can drive away the musty scent, or even better take it on, so to spare me from this sugary fruit cocktail and its one-dimensional, happy-like-a-moron flavor. Yuck.

JavaPuffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JavaPuffs (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have a very sensitive tongue due to an accident when I was a child (drinking a just-boiled coffee brew) thus I cant stand hot-spicy food (being an Asian where hot-spicy food is considered a delicacy, go figure. Haha)

That being said, I do somewhat developed a keen sense of smell and tasting. Probably that what leads me to enjoy VA more and more. The subtlety of their taste, slow-burning characteristic, that freshly-baked cake aroma that coming out of your bowl just when the ember is juust right. Caramel-toffee tones as a result of the natural sugar contents. Yumm.

Of all those wonderful VA blends out there, OGS is definitely my staple tobacco

Its relatively okay on my wallet, simple VA goodness, would bite if you didn't pack carefully and puffed hard, better smoked using small-bowl pipe. Being a broken flakes means that we had greater option to experiment with fold n stuff, full rub, cube cut, etc.

Packs easily, burns well. But need to pay attention. For falcon/ronson pipe, best to rub it fully, load them into your bowl WITHOUT any tamping what so ever. (okay just a tiny bit of tamping would do).

My personal tips for smoking Orlik : dont use new pipe, especially for fresh tins. Use your go-to pipe/corn cob.

OGS needs you to dedicate yourself to it. When I first smoked it, I was saying to myself "err..where did the flavor go?" But then again, for the modest price, I assume OGS was made from relatively young VA.

After 3-4 initial bowls I started to notice how the layers of VA taste begin to appear only if you sit still, pay attention, smokes slow.

Its a contemplative tobacco, not the easiest VA blend to be enjoyed, but if you do, a normal bowl will give you an hour and a half baccy-relaxation-therapy. My personal record is 2 hours over a bowl, finished with well-burned ash with very little dottle.

Overall, very nice smoke indeed. Highly recommended for VA beginner to learn the curves of smoking virginia based-blends. Would aged wonderfully. I had a 3 years old Orlik which just awesome.

EDITED 18 January 15 Reading through SPC's wonderfully written tobacco blog, I notice that they had what appears to be an aged OGS stash which was mentioned several times as their staple party/event/celebratory VA blends. Nice!

Pipe Used: Post-Cadogan Barling Canadian.

Similar Blends: Solani Silver Flake.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Perique or burley? I always thought there was a perique like ghost and attributed it to some kind of top note. I whole heartedly believe that the mistranslation thing is all marketing. I feel the "burley" was actually Green River Burley given a perique treatment, and thus they are not legally able to say "Perique". Turn your can over...it says 'perigue' not perique. That is definitely a g not a q. So they still are not saying it has "Perique". All that aside, this is a really good flake one that should be considered especially since it is so inexpensive for a tin.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: new to one year

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (18)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Haven't been disappointed by this yet. Smokes cool, has a natural virginia sweetness, and never bites. This is the real McCoy. Highly recommended.

If you are into straight Virginias, Orlick Golden Sliced (Orlik in the tin) seems to me very close to a perfect all day smoke. It is a lovely, soft, golden flake, with some Burley in it (enough to give the blend a very subtle unsweetened chocolaty background flavour, without ever being blatantly present), mild in strength, yet quite flavoursome. Unlike Full Virginia Flake or Best Brown Flake (which are also very good, albeit rather stronger), Golden Sliced is very easy to break and pack. The lightening process is also quite simple, and it burns pretty cool. The taste is pure tobacco (except for those underground Burley notes), simple and subtle, producing a nice room atmosphere, which does not seem to bother tolerant non smokers. It lacks the zesty sweetness of Light Flake (Dunhill?s is darker in colour), but it is simpler to smoke. No tongue bite, no gurgle, no particular attention needed to fully enjoy it. A very good option both for the beginner and the established Virginia smoker. Highly recommended.

PuffPuffLive Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffPuffLive (17)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The archetypal bright Virginia blend.

I think there is a fruity topping on this tobacco, but it’s barely detectable. The Virginia’s are citrus forward, with a mild earthy barnyard note. The Perique provides a little spice on the tongue, but is hardly noticeable.

This blend is simple, but pleasant. A slow cadence will reward you with a mild, but flavorful sweet Virginia smoke. A must try for anyone that calls themself an experienced pipe smoker.

Pipe Used: Briars

Age When Smoked: Various.

Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoke (13)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Good tasting tobacco the NIC hit can be strong if you smoke fast as I normally do. I have two tins One says made in UK and only Virginia is mentioned in the description, the other tin says Made in Denmark by Scandinavian Tobacco Group which the description says,

"This blend is composed of golden Virginia tobacco with a touch of Perique. A fine natural sweetness in both taste and aroma characterize Orlik Golden Sliced."

Pipe Used: Cavicchi Billiard

CherchezLaghost Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CherchezLaghost (52)

Ive just made it through my first tin of OGS. I cannot for the life of me understand how that is, but it is so. I do not review each blend i smoke, not by a long shot, and have mostly stuck to reviewing blends i smoke excessively, or the odd blend that i felt had something unique or noteworthy. this is tge very first blend ive reviewed after just one tin. I felt compelled to, because ogs was like coming home to a well loved friend. Its neither sharp, nor exciting, complex, or exotic. What it is, though, is exactly what i seek 8 out of 10 times i fire up a pipe. It is comforting, delicious, soft, and uncomplicated. It is the quintessential simple pleasure. A nearly perfect blend for my expectations of a pipe. It is exquisite in its simplicity. I hope that my enthusiasm for the blend doesn't wane with time, as has happened before...but i feel confident that it won't. My new go to.

Edit: after smoking two 100gram tins id like to add that strangely, i prefer this blend fully rubbed out. Not a move i pull too often. But i began noticing that the bowls i found sweetest, coolest and creamiest were those i rubbed out. Just my observation. Absolutely love this stuff, got several more tins on the way. Oh, and one last thing. There's perique in this blend, without question. Yes its very minimal. No, it doesnt really taste like a Vaper. But perique is present. Who are these individuals who insist that there isnt nor ever has been a smidgen of condimental perique in a tin that is labeled as containing perique? I dont understand it. If you think that your oh-so-sophisticated palate is so dialed in to whiffing out an odor that you insist that the people who ACTUALLY MAKE THE STUFF are wrong, and you know better than the longtime blenders, then you my friend take yourself too seriously. Enjoy your pipe. We can't all be right all the time.

Edit 12/17: while i don't mean to say that this is less of a smoke, i must say i am really not reaching for it any more, as peter stokkebyes luxury navy flake has done for me better what this blend once did. It is less lemony, burns cooler, and has a shade more perique flavor while remaining a lightly spiced va. A bit more nicotine, and cheaper to boot. This discerning judge has traded up, and as such must downgrade this to a 3 star blend

Pipe Used: Cobs, meerschaums, briar

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Similar Blends: Virginia no. 1, luxury navy flake.

1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
1979 (62)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

What could be left to say about this perennial favorite of modern pipe smokers?

A lush virginia flake featuring a skillfully applied topping of bergamot orange, the same flavor responsible for earl grey tea. The tobacco and topping work very nicely together.

Nearly universally enjoyed. Perhaps not everyone's favorite but not too many would turn down a bowl. Reasonably priced to boot. Great summertime smoke.

Keeps much better in the round tin than the square.

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This was my first time having tobacco bacon! I have bought other flake cuts before, but this was the first time they had been pressed and splayed in the tin like layered bacon. I found this annoying, since the flakes wanted to stick together and kept breaking when I tried to peel them apart. The tin had a very mild sweet hay oder, and I knew I was in for a nice peaceful smoke.

The bowl packed nicely, stayed lit and burned long. Hearty clouds of smoke went in and out, without any harsh bite. A clean non-threatening blend you can smoke without much thought. I wouldn't call it bland, just don't expect to contemplate the complexity within.

In the end, I still prefer Escudo Navy De Luxe for that damp barn taste and more manageable discs.

Similar Blends: Escudo Navy De Luxe.

saintcajun78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
saintcajun78 (4)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This one is a real treat not only to smoke but the presentation is very nice as well. when you open up the Tin the predominant smell is a grass like hay. While smoking this blend the room note is very pleasant and if you "Sip" this tobacco you will pick up the Virginia's sweetness. If you are an aromatic smoker looking to try something different I definitely recommend this one. This one will stay in my rotation, give it a try I don't think you will be disappointed.

Pipe Used: Dr Grabow Riviera

Age When Smoked: new out of tin, and aged 1 year.

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Swiss-smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Swiss-smoker (62)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am reviewing the 100 gram round tin, not the square tin with flakes. Very interesting and peculiar cut with rarity value. It is basically a Flake Cut that has been sliced into very long, narrow ribbons, which sets it between a Broken Flake, and a Ready Rubbed Cut. I like this cut. I do not rub it out, I cram it into my pipe straight out of the tin for best results.

There is this never ending controversy whether or not this mixture contains Perique. My tin description, which is rather long compared to others, does not mention Perique. Since original Saint-James-Parish-Perique is a quite expensive and exclusive tobacco, I think the producer would be delighted to mention it on the tin description, if there was any. The other side of the story is, on the internet homepage of (former Lane Ltd., now STG) Scandinavian Tobacco Group of USA http://www.stglanepipe.com they mention, that there is “a touch of Perique” in this blend.

GOLDEN SLICED is what I call a typical Danish Mixture, which by definition is mellow, pure natural tobacco with a gentle, subtle fruit (or liquor) casing. This mixture develops a remarkable fan of delicate aromas, mainly those known of Virginia, citrus fruits and some hidden fruit-flavours commonly attributed to Perique. I’d say this blend is young, bright, fresh, crisp; an ideal hot weather smoke. There is a reserved hint of sweetness in this blend. I am not a Danish, even less an Aromatic smoker, but I somewhat like GOLDEN SLICED, because all casing has been done unobtrusively, with great prudence and skill.

Age When Smoked: New, out of the tin.

BigPete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigPete (4)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Simple and delicious pretty much describes this flake. One of my absolute favourite tobaccos, and by far the most awesome flake.

Sweet, a hint of citrus, sometimes a bit of spice. On occasion, the tobacco transforms and becomes like really sweet and buttery, One of the best tobacco experiences I've had so far. I buy a tin every month, and I'm gonna start buying extras to store.

This is a tobacco that's really nice on the pallet regardless of your preferences, your age, and how long you've been smoking. Suitable for everyone!

Pipe Used: OF Billiard, Red Killarney Bulldog

Age When Smoked: Very Fresh and 2 yrs

Purchased From: danishpipeshop.com

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (49)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not much can be said about this extraordinary flake that hasn't been said already here in the reviews.

I won't go in depth describing the notes one catches, that aspect has been reviewed enough. I pretty much agree with the fellow pipe smokers that wrote here.

There are several things that in my opinion have to be said about this tobacco. It's very similar to the Dunhill flake, in the way it smells and somewhat in the smoke. I wouldn't agree with the majority that there isn't any Perique in it. It's not a heavy load, but just about enough to strengthen up the VA, and is detectable in the nostrils. What I have in mind is that pinching peppery sensation one get in the nose from the Perique when french inhaling and retrohaling the smoke. The level of moisture is just fine out of the tin, and the flakes are smokable right away. It crumbles down in the same way Dunhill flake does, only in the smaller and fine pieces. Packing the pipe is a piece of cake, one doesn't have to worry much about it as with Samuel Gawith flakes for example. The discernible danish note from the casing is somewhat present, but it's not annoying as in some other tobaccos of this type. I think that the almost undetectable touch of Perique does exactly that. Neutralizes the danish casing note making this flake one of the best out there. As a matter of strength, there isn't much in it. Nicotine level is low also. A mild flake that can be smoked all day. I guess that's the downside of it, you can smoke up to ten pipes a day, so needles to say, it's an excellent choice for an everyday smoke. Tins are quite nice looking and convenient too. Here I have in mind the 50 grams ones, not the 100 g.

Highly recommended for beginners that aren't quite accommodated to strong and full tobaccos. It's fresh, delightful, doesn't require much preparing and skills, behaves the same way in different pipes, tastes refreshing and sweet all the way from the first light down to the bottom of the bowl. When I first started smoking I wish I had discovered Orlik Golden Sliced. My learning would have been much more smooth and would have saved me a lot of struggle. Actually, this is highly recommended for everybody, beginner or master, there's beauty and joy for everyone.

Pipe Used: briars and meers.

Carolina Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carolina Piper (1)

To me, this is the epitome of an all day smoke, especially when the weather starts to warm up. A mild smoke with hints of citrus and grassy notes. I have grown fond of flake tobaccos and this one stands right at the top. I have smoked this in various briars and cobs and I do prefer cobs for this tobacco. As with all Virginias be patient and sip this one and you will be greatly rewarded.

Pipe Used: Cobs and various briars

Age When Smoked: 1 yr old

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (114)

This maybe one of the most famous tobaccos ever, and with good reasons. Besides the debate on the addition of burley or perique or both, the bright virginia is certainly one of the kind. Very sweet and orange-juice like with evident citrus smell. Golden sliced is not my everyday smoke, but when I crave clean ,sweet and not complicated virginia blends, I often reach out for this. 3 and 1/2 star in my book.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)

Orlik Golden Sliced (Red) Is most certainly NOT a VaPer. Not sure where that notion came from in the description of this tobacco. I have been a pipe smoker for over 30 years and worked for a local Detroit tobacconist for several years when I was in college. This has been a favorite all along the way. Golden Sliced is however a delicious Virginia Flake that can be rubbed out to any strength. If left in larger pieces this fine VA will burn slow and with a sweet nuttiness that is oh so satisfying. Fully rubbed it burns a bit warmer and must be smoked gently. If anything I believe this is topped with a very mild fruit casing and it is almost unnoticeable. OGS red has a haughty hit of nicotine but for a straight tobacco lover can easily be an all day smoke.

Pipe Used: Briers and Cobs reserved for non English blends

Purchased From: JR Tobacconists, Southfield Michigan

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)

I'm afraid I'm a bit late to the Orlik Red is awesome party but better late than never. This is a great, light and natural yet flavor-able tobacco. Yes. There is Perique. Not only does it say so on my tin I'm a Perique lover and I tasted a faint smidgen of the barreled leaf when I first lit up. Yet, it quickly faded and the cool Virginias took me through the tour throughout the smoke. If you are looking for a VA/Perique smoke this NOT it. This is a straight VA smoke with a touch of perique. You will get the naturally hay/sweet Va's not the Perique.

What a great smoke! Tasty, light, refreshing and good ALL THE TIME. Like Va's? Like flakes? Don't pass this one up. It's the Captain Black of Europe.

The Red Judge Makes this Dawg wag his tail!!

Pipe Used: Peterson DeLuxe 4s

Purchased From: Jr Cigars.

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (34)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm reasonably new to pipe smoking, and started off on the Gawith Hoggarth range. Recently though I have bought a huge selection of small samples from smoke-king. Seeing as I use this site I lot I thought it best to add my own opinions, as useful or not as they may be.

The flakes are thin and the perfect level of dryness to me - thy don't clump and packing the pipe is very straightforward. After 2 charring lights this tobacco burned slowly and evenly - very, very easy to keep lit and smoulders away nicely.

The taste is nice, nothing that knocks your socks off but it does have a bright flavour - a bit hay-like and summery. It almost has a marmalade taste creeping in for me.

I do get bitten by virginias, but this one was not bad at all. It was a creeping bite which could be kept at bay by smoking slowly.

All in all, good easy smoke :)

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: smoke-king

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (68)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Wanting to add more VAs to my collections, I bought this. It had good reviews on this site and was very cheap for a 40 gram pouch. So If I didn't like it, not too much to risk.

I read a lot that it has a flavoring added, but I really can't detect it in the pouch and not so much in the flavor. It does give off a slight citrus flavor when smoked. Espeically as you get further down the bowl.

I really enjoyed this tobacco and think it would be a great try for someone trying to get into VAs but still want a little flavor in their baccy.

The 40 gram pouch is a great buy for me because it's not as cumbersome as a tin and can be smoked on the run. The amount is also perfect because it will probably all be smoked before it gets dried out.

Comes a little dry in the pouch but it's at the right level for my tasting.

Pipe Used: MM Great Dane Egg

Purchased From: Kawarada Tobacco (Sendai)

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

A delightful, sweet, flavored Virginia blend. Delicious hay, bread, and delicate fruit scents in the tin. Bright and sweet in flavor. There is definitely some of the "juicy fruit" flavor here, but a good, slow cadence will keep it under control so it doesn't dominate. If there is indeed Perique in this blend, I can't taste it.

Definitely recommended for those interested in trying Virginia blends. Not a good example of a VaPer. Highly recommended for those who enjoy lightly topped fruity aromatics.

I opened this tin to a wonderful tart hay like aroma. The flakes are of a medium brown color, actually looking like a fine hay pressed together. The flakes are large and somewhat moist, so I put out a large flake and let it dry overnight. This morning, I chose to rub it out somewhat and loaded it in a Castello Hawkbill and gave it a light. I was rewarded with a semi sweet, very smooth hay like flavor that was very good with a cup of tea as a morning smoke. It took several relites before settling down and giving me a nice smoke. It does say on the tin that it has some burley in it but the burley never even tried to be a main player, just sweet and mild VA flavor. It burned down to a really fine dark grey ash with no dottle in the bottom of my pipe. I really enjoyed this tobacco. It stayed tame, never biting, and kept it's flavor the same from first light, to the bottom of the pipe. One I plan on keeping around and I highly recommend this blend for lovers of VA Flakes.

WolfmanSam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WolfmanSam (6)

Upon opening the round tin, I’m greeted by two rows of perfectly aligned flakes. They consist of mainly bright and some darker Virginias. I did not detect any Perique. The tin note is citrus, fresh cut grass, and a trace of hay. I usually fold and stuff, but rubbing out works well too. This smoked well in various briars and cobs. It did not bite. The nicotine level is mild. Overall, it’s smooth, mild and straightforward. It works best for me as a morning smoke, but can easily be smoked all day.

I recommend this for beginners. It’s also a good change of pace for Virginia lovers.

Age When Smoked: 1 year old

3pipeproblem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
3pipeproblem (13)

I'm still an amateur trying to find my tastes in straight Virginia's, so my palate is uneducated, but I quite enjoyed this. Not at all educated in Periques yet, either, but I'm with Pipestud - if I can't taste it, what's the difference ?! Fold-and-stuff worked fine for me, burned well, no tongue burn, good tasting and decent nic content. My favorite VA flake to date. Looking forward to ageing some and revisiting. A good old venerable blend : 3.5 stars

Pipe Used: Various briars.

Age When Smoked: 1-2 yrs

Dr.James Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.James (28)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

A fine Virginia blend exhibiting layers of grass and barnyard hay with a touch of barley and citrus. There is definitely a fruit topping although it is mild, other reviewers have described as “Juicy fruit”. I detect a bit of liquorice as well that adds to the natural sweetness. A very light spice from the Perique is in the background. Overall Orlick Golden Sliced is a consistent easygoing all day smoke that needs few relights and being a flake is versatile with your packing method. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and a pleasant aftertaste.

Sergius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sergius (5)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is the best golden Virginia blend on the market. I don't want to get all long-winded and others have done a great job describing the wonderful flavors of the blend, so I will say more generally that if you enjoy simple things done exceptionally well, you will really enjoy this blend. I smoke about five bowls of tobacco a day, and four of them are usually Orlik Golden Sliced. Every draw is delightful, consistent, sweet, and satisfying. If I were a new pipe smoker, I would buy a tin of this and smoke only this for a while. Develop a sensitivity to the flavors. It is very easy to pack, very easy to smoke, very non-fuss, so you can focus on smoking technique. It is easy to buy a crazy Latakia blend with 40 different tobaccos with the rare Romanian Broiled Burley and so forth, but with so much going on in those blends, it is hard to develop a sense of what any particular thing tastes like.

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Similar Blends: Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG) - Escudo Navy De Luxe, Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Navy Flake.

SkySoldier Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SkySoldier (9)

Orlik Golden Sliced is a Virginia blend that is a very natural and enjoyable smoke. It has a very rich taste that does not dull or subside as you get close to finishing the bowl. It really is no wonder this blend is held in such high regard. Some say Virginia blends smoke hot, but I found this to be a very cool smoke until I emptied my Savinelli. Overall this is a must have for new and experienced pipe smokers alike.

Pipe Used: Savinelli - Clark (Bent Billiard)

Age When Smoked: New/Fresh

Purchased From: Local Vendor (MJM Cigars)

PharmerJack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PharmerJack (3)

Tin smells of dried apricots and citrus. Comes out a little moist but I'm not too picky so I shoved it in the old corncob and started putting. Great VaPer blend with bright citrusy Virginias. The perique part of this VaPer seems to be a topic of contention and to that end I coudlnt really taste much perique. I did get a little tang and (what I think was) perique tingle on the retrohale. Overall a very tasty and easy smoking flake, one of the first flakes I've tried. Now to work on my packing technique...

Pipe Used: MM

Greekpipesmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greekpipesmoker (153)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Waited for a long time to try this blend.believe me it worth's it!the interior paper says smoked by all shrewd judjes haha.when you pop the tin a very fresh,sweet and pleasant smell comes out.the flakes are bright and brown with perfect moisture and very manageable.i prefer the rubbing method and no drying time was needed.while smoking it's simple pleasure.virginias are the main player offering you citruses,grass and sweet notes.perique is more on the spicy side and very rare offers some sour notes.i also detected some nutty notes(burley??)i did not detect any topping flavour though i smelled one.very clean and pleasant tobacco taste!burns medium and slow with no chance of tongue bite.relights needed very rare.the nicotine level is almost medium.the room note is very descreet and noone complained.a typical virginia flake with some perique notes wich anyone should try.definitelly an all day smoke and a perfect blend to burn a new pipe.

Age When Smoked: Rubbed and packed at once

adam543 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adam543 (5)

It is a good tobacco. Flakes are ready to smoke, almost no need for preparation. All you need to do is to rub it out or fold and stuff. It has very good burning characteristics from the beginning to the end. When I lit this tobacco I get nice citrusy tones. There is also mildly applied floral topping, similar to St. Bruno, not so intense but detectable. I won't be arguing whether there is Perique here or not. To be honest with you, I don't care. All I can say that this is a high quality blend, not my favorite but something I want to come back to.

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)

First Impressions: A 50 g squarish tin. I gotta say, I love the tin art. The man pictured is spooky to me. His eyes stare straight at you no matter what angle you look at him and his small grin says, "I know what you did.". Freaky! LOL. Totally not what the artist intended, I'm sure. The presentation on opening the tin is great: there's a little sticker of that insane all knowing man with the crazy wig, holding together a white paper wrapper. Opening the paper reveals two perfect stacks of very clean and uniform large-ish flakes. The flakes are a gorgeous golden-yellow-brown. Tin note is a bit citrusy.

OGS is very well behaved right out of the tin with no drying time. Fold and stuff, rub out, whatever. Personally, I fold and stuff this one. It is very easy to smoke, and is the first thing I recommend to newbies as their first flake, simply because it is so easy to work with.

Flavor is nice clean sweet golden virginia. Hints of sweet, hints of hay, hints of citrus. Perique is barely a whisper.

OGS seems to me to be a bit richer and fuller than other Virginias in this genre that I've tried (Hamborger Veermaster and Dunhill Flake, to name a couple of similar flakes). Not to mention the value. OGS is probably the cheapest tinned tobacco on the market, and it is worth every penny.

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake, Hamborger Veermaster, Newminster #400.

Reagold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reagold (25)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The guy in the cover is there for a reason... This must be the easiest decision in the whole life of those "shrewd judges": it's a lovely, simple, uncomplicated smoke. A tobacco that is straight, objective and clear as should be a judge's mind. Great tobacco.

Age When Smoked: about one year

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Navy Flake..

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Hey guys, the controversy if Perique (or Burley) is present into this blend is really unproductive. Maybe there is a pinch of Perique (0,5-1%) but this is really irrelevant or maybe there is a little bit of Burley (1-2%) but in the same way it is totally uninfluential. So we have to admit that ORLIK GOLDEN SLICES is a straight Virginia and not a mixture! The taste is Virginia, a good Virginia, the smokiness is Virginia, the smell is Virginia, the burning is Virginia, the room note is Virginia. The colour of the blend is Virginia; where are the black specks typical of Perique? Only a question: would you compare ORLIK G.S. to a VaPer or to a straight Virginia? You know the answer. I respect the previous reviews but stop the debate please. Let there be no mistake: I don’t have anything to teach, this is only my personal opinion. Now the tobacco: great Virginia I said and this is exactly the Virginia. No defects, only a very mild flavoring (I think more topping than casing). An all day smoke, smooth, pleasing, satisfying, relaxing. Smokers, you have to give it a chance; try it as soon as possible and you won’t be disappointed! In my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 9 and 3 stars.

FDC L50 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FDC L50 (5)

First - the tin is really cool and the orlik guy rocks. Open the tin and the paper adorned with a printed label encases a truly beautiful flake tobacco. The smell is heavenly! The rectangular flakes are arranged in the tin so they stay intact and ready to be either rubbed out, folded or manipulated in any manner you choose. I am amazed at the sweetness that greets my nose from the high quality Virginia tobaccos that are orlik golden sliced.

So yes I like this tobacco. It rubs out easily packs well and burns great. The taste is pure Virginia. It is mild yet tasty and smokes remarkably consistent throughout the bowl. The tobacco flavor on the retro hale is quite pleasant and the blend burns slowly and produces a good volume of smoke with no tongue bite and a very low moisture level. To me it is the Virginia flake that I compare others to.

Orlik has created the standard of this class of tobaccos. And to their merit they price this gem very competitively. If you have not tried it you should.

Pipe Used: Savinelli alligator bent Dublin

Purchased From: Cigars international

Similar Blends: Ps luxury twist flake.

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (66)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Update:- Once upon a time this was a fine tobacco.

Now it's rubbish. I question whether there's tobacco in it!

Another update : Some time later. It's unfair to call this rubbish. It's a cut above Eurotobak and long may yoofs fill their first pipes with this.

For years this has been a benchmark blend. Probably because it is smoked by all screwed judges.

It's a straightforward virginia with a lemony flavour.

There is a lot debate about whether there's perique. It definitely has! The trouble is, I don't know if I've ever tasted the genuine article. Never been to St James parish.

Like all Danish virgins, it burns hot, so beware.

Pipe Used: A billiard.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from

Purchased From: the corner shop

Similar Blends: Any old Eurotobak..

Leaf Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leaf Packer (30)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Can there be a sweeter flake? sure but in my opinion GS offers satisfaction better than any other straight Virginia flake. Maybe it's because I am use to the grassy smell and beautiful plant, I grew up with. We raise tobacco when I was a child, spent hours working with tobacco and this flake invokes memories.

This a straight forward honest earthy taste. Get some if you don't like it I will buy it from you. Enjoy

Pipe Used: Briars

Age When Smoked: fresh and 8 months

Purchased From: smioking pipes

Similar Blends: any Virginia or navy flake.

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (94)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Complexity be damned! OGS is a simple bright, citrusy Virginia flake. The tin note is citrusy, the taste is citrusy, and the room note is citrusy. Orange peel and lemon are what I taste with occasional honey and spice. I suspect some of these flavors are naturally occurring and some is accentuated by a citrus and honey casing. Perique? Burley? Maybe. 5% or less if so. Controversy aside, this is one of the most satisfying pipe tobaccos available.

Age When Smoked: Fresh - 1 Year

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A tobacco this reviewed really doesn't need my 2 cents of tasting notes. Simple, sweet and citrusy top notes, that's it. I am highly sensitive to both burley and perique. Burley? None detected, unless truly just a smidgen of a smidgen as people have stated. Perique? Definitely. It's not more than a hint, but it is without doubt there, contrary to the vehement denial of at least one reviewer here. I didn't even need a tin description to know it, as the first sample I enjoyed was from a 1 oz. plastic bag without labelling. There is a topping, and it sort of reminds me of flowers or soap or soapy flowers. But it is not unpleasant to me, and rather gives GS a unique edge over similar flakes. Unlike many others here, I get bitten all the time by GS, especially when fully rubbed. However, when smoked fold n stuff, it smokes substantially cooler. Great flake, one I intend to cellar in quantity and include in regular rotation.

Pipe Used: Various briars & MM cobs

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake.

GreyFoxActual Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GreyFoxActual (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This mild tobacco is great for cigarette smokers who are looking to switch to pipe. I can see it's charm and why people enjoy it. For me however, I will probably not purchase another tin and sharing this one as much as possible.

Pipe Used: Pear Root Eagle

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin

Dharma Bum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dharma Bum (6)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I was pleased to try Orlik Golden Sliced for the first time recently. The smell of the tin is really enjoyable, with its fig/raisin/hay notes (I have a non-smoker friend who can't stop smelling this tin), and what a great smoke! I would recommend to let it dry a bit before smoking, but it burns so well, without any problem. The smoke is really tasty, not too mild, fresh and sweet, with hay, honey and citrus notes. I'm not sure about the perique in this tobacco, but I can figure there's a touch of it somewhere.

I would definitely recommend this tobacco to any new pipe smoker who would like to try a true natural virginia tobacco (and I wonder why I didn't try it before), because it burns so well and the taste is really good until there's only ashes. I'm more from the english tobacco side, but still I always smoke a virginia or a virginia/perique once in a while, and since I opened this tin, I can't stop smoking it! It's perfect for the summer to come. It's definitely a must try.

Age When Smoked: At least six months old

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Very Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

First of all, my review of this is based off an older tin. Not quite sure how old, but at least 6 or more years. I haven't smoked the newest version, but I have seen it and it is VERY different. The stuff I have is solid brown and has more of a cereal grain smell, and the newer is lighter colored with dark stripes and is substantially fruitier smelling.

This is really a wonderful tobacco. It smells like a barn filled with slightly moist grain, and tastes slightly sweet with just a little malted barley to it. Does smoke a little hot but I didn't have any tongue bite issues. A wonderful all day every day kind of smoke.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Legend

Age When Smoked: 6+ years

Steve Lewis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steve Lewis (5)

Orlik's GS is a tobacco for the Virginia lovers. OGS is just right out of tin with no drying time required. Perique, for get about it, there is non in this tobacco. What you get is a nut like taste with a little sour note. I do not taste any citrus aroma or taste as other reviewers have reported. The tin aroma is grassy like and the flakes hand rub out with ease. This is a wonderful full rounded tobacco that is easy to light and to smoke. The blend lasts about an hour in a grade 4 or 5 sized bowl. In conclusion, OGS is a very good blend and one that I have returned to as my main smoke.

ven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ven (16)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Well, I got psyched for this because I bought an old Orlik pipe. The reviews I read and YouTube reviews were all pretty favorable, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've been testing tobaccos for a few years now, trying to settle on a main one to carry in my pouch. When I had first bought the tin if Orlik, it had been along with another tobacco. I tried that mixture first, unfortunately. Ack - it tasted horrible in my newly acquired Orlik briar! Terrible misfire!! I quickly scooped it out, all cussing and fuming - and went to the Orlik tobacco and popped in a quick roll - just to get the taste out. Gods be praised. Orlik saved the day! Not only that, it was a terrific first bowl of the Slices. Great introduction! Since then, I have gone through a period of getting to know the tobacco - to where a nice ground of familiarity was established. This led to my outright craving the Orlik. I enjoyed it so much that I dedicated the Orlik pipe to the Orlik tobacco. That was a great idea - and came from other reviews on here. Very glad I've done that. The seasoning just enhances the overall familiarity, so when you light that puppy up, all the flavors just wave hello and greet you with your slippers. Currently I am at a point where all my other tobaccos, some of them favorites, have lost their appeal! I have, in fact, over the course of a few months, become a devotee of the Golden Slices. I have finally found that one singular tobacco that I have been looking for! Nicest thing about this being my new favorite, aside from that killer price point, is that it's one of those standards that lets the tobacco sing. Not a lot of mish mash or casings. Just dang fine flakes with a couple of minor flourishes for character and that's all. A solid, trustworthy companion who won't let you down. Highest rating.

Pipe Used: Orlik "Captain Black"

Age When Smoked: One Month

Similar Blends: Gawith Hoggarth Bright CR Flake.

Travelingmanwv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Travelingmanwv (4)

Very nice smoke and affordable. Smooth and mild which makes it an all day or any time smoke. Certainly going to stay in my rotation as it's a pleasure to smoke.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Cadre Noir

Age When Smoked: New tin

Purchased From: www.wvsmokeshop.com

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (55)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased a bunch of tins a while back with the goal of sampling many of the different types of tobacco. I'd had bad experiences with VaPers before getting to this. And I was very close to reselling it. But I decided maybe the third time's the charm. Well, in a way, it is. This smokes nothing like the previous VaPers I tried. Some reviewers have stated that this contains only trace amounts of Perique. If that's the case, then I think I've discovered the amount I can tolerate. The tobacco smells nice out of the tin. It's pressed into slices of golden rectangles. I'm still quite new to packing tobacco that is not ribbon cut. I've managed to break it up, crumple it, or find some way to stuff it into my pipe. I've managed to light a bowl, but keeping it lit requires several relights. The tobacco burns slowly, at least for me, so I don't need even a whole slice to smoke for 30-45 minutes. The issue I'm having is the constant relights. But again, it's my problem because I haven't learned how to properly prepare and pack this pressed tobacco. The flavor is really mild with little to no bite, whether it's fresh out of the tin or a few days dry. Actually, it's really a plain smoke and I can't understand the hype behind this blend. I'll use it to learn to properly pack pressed tobacco, but, when it's finished, I won't purchase it again. EDIT 1/21/14: This tobacco is for the experienced pipe smoker, as it requires a few tricks to smoke properly. 1) Dry it out for 2 weeks, at least. 2) Regardless of what packing method you use, you MUST do a deep and thorough charring light. 3) Tip the extra ash out frequently. 4) Use a pipe lighter with an angled flame. 5) Tamp frequently, but don't allow the draw hole to get covered. THEN... you'll still get just a very plain smoke. Not changing my rating :-/

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild Tolerable

I have to admit, by the end of this last summer I had developed a fondness for this tobacco. For me, it's a good summer smoke. The tobacco is toasty, smooth, yet there's a sharpness, a peppery-ness to it as well. The "hay-like" taste or effect that many seem to comment on I couldn't detect (though I had wanted to). I also loved the side stream, one of the better blends in regards to that. Another positive is how long I could make a bowl last—nearly an hour. It's smoking characteristics are good, it takes a match fine and burns well, few relights required. I rubbed the tobacco out rather than using the fold and stuff method. I thought it to be too strong nicotine-wise, and, as usual, this is not something I like, but, there are things about this blend that trump the nic-hit. At the end of the day, I find it could use a wee boost in the taste department. Even so, I recommend it.

Cheers!

Pipe Used: Eric Nording Freehand

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Gestalt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gestalt (20)

Short and sweet review based on a fresh tin with no age.

Great Tobacco. Round tin from UK tobacconist with a large long flakes, very similar to Rattray's Marlin Flake in appearance. Wonderful citrus and hay notes from the tin.

Bright and sweet Virginia taste, noticeable citrus in amongst the hay and the Perique. An Awesome tobacco which provides consistent smokes in the smallest and the largest bowls. Get some! I wish I'd tried this earlier, and I'll be buying more for the cellar.

Can't understand the low stars from other reviewers. This stuff really is a delight.

Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

straight to the point this is the finest Virginia flake ever created in pipe tobacco history, the flavor is incredibly well balanced, very "hay" like, slightly sweet flavor with a little touch of "orange" in the background are detected, absolutely fantastic blend!, smoking this as an all day smoke is the eternal Nirvana.

Gentlemen; If you like true Virginia, buy Orlik Golden Sliced

wolfdreamer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfdreamer (25)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Smells like tea...ordered because of the reviews I received and find it to be a bland boring smoke. Dry and as another reviewer stated it resembles cigarettes...which I too don't care for. Will not be buying this again.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is probably my all time number one smoke. This is the blend that I compare all other Virginia's to. The real comeliness in this tobacco is not only in it taste, but also in its value and age-ability. This is the best value in the pipe tobacco world, in my humble opinion. This blend is often compared to Reiner's Long Golden Flake. In my mind it is better in taste, and the the difference in price is prodigious. If the price was not a good enough selling point then consider this. This is some of the most trans formative tobacco I have ever smoked. It is good out of the tin, but with a couple of years of age it becomes astounding. Being so inexpensive it just begs to be bought in large quantity and put to sleep in the cellar.

There is some debate on its contents. The inclusion of perique? I do not pick up on any. I have also heard tell of a light bergamont flavoring. I am not sure, sometimes I think I can detect it, sometimes I cannot. I do not really care for that matter. It does not matter what is inside, all I know is it is good.

The packaging is so very classy and not overdone, The flakes are uniform and very comely. The moisture level is great right from the tin. This is a high end Virginia flavor, a contralto of the Virginia world if you will. While some Virginia's like Escudo and Wessex Brigade Campaign have dark earthy Virginia flavors, this one has high, bright lemon and grassy hay notes. Just wonderful. If there ever was a desert island tobacco this one may be mine.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

As some have noted, there is a slight tin smell of orange and hay but there is no hint of any casing once it is lit. The blend doesn't actually seem to be a blend at all - it appears to be all bright Virginia leaf. As a result, the smoke is monochromatic and very bland. It tastes like roll-your-own cigarette tobacco. Normally the room note of a tobacco isn't very bad if the blend is bland but my wife complains "it stinks like stale cigarette butts" when I light this stuff up. Rather than throw it in the trash I'll toss it in my leftovers jar.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

The flakes are generous in size. The price is right, usually a couple of bucks less than comparable tins.

Cased with licorice and perhaps a little honey.

But this tobacco is nothing special.

Running low on tobacco, I decided to try out this one for a change; a 100 g tin was sitting around on my trusted tobacconist's shelf described as "mostly VA" and he said it has some strength.

So, opening the tin I was a little surprised by the pure Earl Grey aroma with VA grassiness being almost overwhelmed. Interesting, to say the least. Orlik's website does note a "citrus aroma" being in there. The presentation of the leaf was beautiful: a bundle of full-length slices, not as dark as some have noted but rather a medium-to-bright leaf draped along the circumference of the tin. I loved that on first sight.

Taking off the end of a slice and folding, the smoke was slow and very VA-ish, with the Bergamot only rarely making itself felt, and the room note was nice if somewhat subdued. Rubbed out, the Bergamot was there in full force - but in a nice way - and the room note became pleasant, with beautiful, lingering room aroma surviving even my next two bowls of other blends. The VA taste also was more pronounced, with more sweetness, with the leaf rubbed out. The strength was satisfying either way, but I tend to prefer rubbing this out.

Rubbed out, this blend works great with smaller bowls; folded, the taller ones should do the trick. Good tobacco all round. I like it, and it may grow on me enough to make it one of my regulars.

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)

I'm beginning to realize pipe smoking is not only an art it is also a profession. Naturally the longer one practices their profession the better at it one becomes and pipe smoking is really no different. I'm half-way through my second tin of OGS, my second tin in 16 years. I now self-profess to be among the "distinguished vertern lot" and as such have come of age so-to-speak. So, I now bill OGS.....as an absolute brilliant mixture, giving off an exquisite citrus taste and a mellow sweet pure white cloud of pure pipe tobacco heaven. It has the same likelihood of biting as my 12 year old Golden Retriever...aint gonna happen regardless of how hard I pull its' tail. This blend shall become a regular smoke for me and I plan ordering many tins of this as soon as SP.Com re-stock their shelves. Highly Recommended X 10!!!!!

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin Aroma: Very sweet, almost cloyingly so. There seems to be some sort of perfume-like undertone, but I cannot nail it down exactly.

Physical Charateristics: wide flakes, mottled in color. Dryer than most, but not crumbly. Rubs out well, and rolls pretty well also. I prefer it rubbed out, so as to use the gravity method of filling. It rubs out into longish strips that need some tearing/cutting to really use the gravity method.

First Light: A burst of sweet virginia flavor, an enormous cloud of white smoke, and we're off to the races. A good sweet virginia, with a pleasant amount of body.

Notes: This is probably the only virginia blend that I can smoke without worrying about whether or not I am going to fry my mouth with it.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)

My tin of Orlik was purchased and stored in 2004. It mentions Virginias and burley on the label. Irregardless of the perique debate, this is an excellent tasting Virginia with the perfect moisture level. My slices have practically melded together after the years and it is more like a plug; it is a medium brown with flecks of gold throughout. It tastes like a quality Virginia should taste and I recommend this blend. No bite at all, perfect burn.

Pipe Used: Fillenwarth, Rinaldo

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (46)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Nice grassy, hay like smell. I do not smoke this very often but mainly due to the fact I can't stay on one pipe tobacco too long. It starts out great and stays that way pretty much to the end. After a few days I move on to something else, no fault of the tobacco. It really is a fantastic VA.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: Mac Baren Virginia No. 1.

Owl Mage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Owl Mage (2)

One brilliantly tasting blend that takes me back to the summer of 2016 when I had originally first smoked it. Since then I have ordered two 50g tins and one 100g tin. This blend is sweet, grassy and seasoned with a the perfect dose of perique. When I think about the blend that started my fascination with pipe tobacco I think of Orlik Golden Sliced. Would recommend to anybody who appreciates va/per blends.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)

This is listed as a Virginia/perique blend, but I am finding the perique almost missing in this blend. If it is there, it is in such a small quantity as to be almost absent from being detected. So if you are in search of that elusive vaper, keep looking. You won't find what you're looking for here. But you will find a virginia tobacco that really is nicely made up into a thin slice of all that one looks for in a virginia tobacco. It does light up nicely right out of the tin without too much effort. It delivers a middle of the road dose of nicotine. All in all, I would recommend you at least give it a shot. YMMV on how much perique there is in this one.

westfalia_piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
westfalia_piper (3)

This is my favourite Virginia Flake. Among other very good flake presantations, this one stands out by its extremely easy handling and superb smoking qualities, making it a reference tobacco here in Europe. Golden Sliced is very well- rounded and has, at least for me, the character of an allday- smoke. There are other very good Virginias, but this one is, as many smokers claim, a tobacco that seems to master the whole spectrum. The tobacco presents itself with a wonderful, bready, citrusy tin note. No ketchup or overbording sweetness here, no grass notes either. At least to my nose, there is even a slightly earthy, slightly sour note which is very mellowed in fact, maybe the Perique is shining through here just a little. The flake comes as a rolled up single sclice in the pouch as well as in the round tin. The square tin is unavailable in Germany. The tobacco slices fall apart quite easily from the tin, while the tobacco seems to be a bit more solid in the pouch. The tobacco is ready and smokeable right from the freshly opened tin as the moisture level is perfect in every tin. Solid and steady quality. As the manufacturer proposes, the tobacco is best smoked when used by rubbing it out a little. The flake lights absolutely easily, and tends to expand only a bit by the first charring when rubbed out. The taste is quite mouth- filling, while the tobacco doesn't ever get heavy or cloying. Dominant citrus notes, just a slight sweetness and a wonderful, bready ''Schwarzbrot''- aroma. Fresh and inviting, which makes it an alltime smoke for many Virginia lovers. The tobacco is, unlike many Virginias, gentle and doesn't tend to bite. Be sure you damp it gently. The taste stays constant and doesn't appear weak or dull throughout the smoke. As you proceed with the smoke, the taste becomes a little more earthy towards the end of the bowl. The Perique, and I do think there is some added here, is just a minor player and should be adding just some additional body to the overall taste. The tobacco produces just a little moisture and smokes itself without any effort, you may have to relight only sparingly. I recommend to smoke it without a filter, just to make sure you don't waste any of the top spots in the taste. If you like citrusy Virginias which are easy to handle, try this one if you can get it.

Pipe Used: Stanwell 11, Savinelli Apple 207, Big Ben Bulldog

Age When Smoked: fresh/ up to a few months old

glondus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
glondus (4)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

this is one of my favorite all day any day tobacco. very easy to smoke. i recommend not to rub it, pack it as is it will be cooler smoke. i am not an expert but i dont detect any perique in it compared to VaPers i have smoked.

Pipe Used: bend

Seedun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Seedun (4)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

My 100g tin was filled with 5 long slices.

Moisture: 4/10 I let it dry rubbed out for 10 min. Could smoke without drying easily.

Tin note: A very clean oaty smell. Very very slight acidic twang at first crack of the tin. It lacks that fermented "sileage" note of say Hal o the Wind or to a lesser extent fresh Escudo. Smells like freshly mown wheat stalks drying to make straw.

I mainly smoke Virginias and Vapers. Of those I've tried this is the most different to me. I'm relatively new to pipe smoking.

The beginning of the bowl I get a dry clean slight sweetness. I get a strong straw bale taste (people say grass and hay, I've not tasted that yet in a tobacco.) No bite. Can turn very one note if smoked hard. No ashy taste further down.

Further through the bowl I get a citrusy almost light floral note similar to lavender. The straw taste reminds me of baled straw sweating in the barn. Very malty. Not a lot of different flavors, but very clean and dry on the palate. Leaves a taste in the mouth after smoking that isn't too noticeable.

I will add that I don't get much perique taste or burn in the nose.

For the price I think this is very good. I get no nicotine punch from this. If i smoked cigarettes this would be good rolled into one. I will rotate it into my drive to work smoke. I usually smoke Escudo and Royal Yacht for that. Wish it had more nicotine.

Pipe Used: Duncan Hill Aerodrome Billiard, Dr. Plumb Dinky

Age When Smoked: 5 Months

Purchased From: B & M

Similar Blends: Escudo side of Vapers, about as complex as Royal Yacht..

Hillbilly08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hillbilly08 (38)

Classic pure virginia. Log thin ribbons in a rope-like twist (I bought the round tin, not the square tin), light brown to tan. It packs nicely and lights well. Some citrusy overtones typical of good virginia leaf and no perique or burley noted. Burns well, absolutely no bite unless pushed. Solid nicotine dose but no tongue bite. Perfect for a change of pace. Excellent as a palate cleanser after continental aromatics. Much recommended.

Pipe Used: Savinelli bulldog with 9mm filter

Age When Smoked: fresh out of tin

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (93)
Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of those tobaccos that won me over with my first puff. The topping on this blend makes it great for beginners and an excellent starting point for those looking to get into Virginia's. It's great for the warmer weather, I live in Central Texas and I smoke a lot of this one in the summer time. It's got your typical VA taste profile and the citrus top notes just makes this one tasty any time of day. The only fall back in my opinion is that it doesn't contain much nicotine but that's a pro for those looking for an all day smoke. This can certainly be that. I would say this is absolutely essential.

I can't help it, the early reviews of this crack me up! It just goes to show ya that the power of suggestion is very powerful indeed. When the tin description error read Burley, guest what? Everyone was tasting Burley! People refused to believe that the correction on the label was legit and will probably go to their grave thinking that this blend contains Burley when all along it contained Perique. Lol.

Similar Blends: Reiner Blend 71 (Long Golden Flake).

Turbine712 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Turbine712 (3)

OGS is a very nice mild VaPer. Flakes rub out well and easy to load. I didn't detect any of the Perique that has been mentioned in the mpg description. Upon lighting there is a sweet citrus taste that for me is quite pleasant and lasts throughout the bowl. Being as I have several tins, I'm excited to see how the tobacco callers. OGS will be in my rotation for a good long while. As of currently, this is my go to VaPer.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentlemen, Savinelli 320

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

MarqueB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MarqueB (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Three solid stars. I can't see giving it four only for the reason that it's such a monochromatic, and uneventful smoke. Rather meat and potatoes, but in a good way. I've been through several tins, and like this sometimes in the summer, but it gets kind of old hat to me rather quickly.

Taste is reasonably good quality bright VA's, with an almost orange like topping to support. Whether or not it has any perique in it, it could probably use more. Overall pleasant tasting though.

Doesn't bite much, and I don't really feel it's all that strong in nicotine, though i'm not a good judge as I have a high tolerance.

Good value at the price of admission, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Pipe Used: Various cobs and briars

Age When Smoked: Max of 2 years

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Pipester John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipester John (2)

As of the writing of this I am still a new pipe smoker. GS was my first flake tobacco and I have been thoroughly enjoying it. It rubs out beautifully, burns cool and stays lit. I have not yet experienced tongue bite from this blend. The flavor is a wonderful light hay with some others that I cannot put my finger on. Overall a very satisfying blend, I love to pair it with an ice cold Pepsi or an amber lager.

So to address the elephant in the room, I am very new to Va/Per's, I cannot vouch for whether or not there is actually Perique in the blend. Orlik claims that there is. What I can say is that I do notice a bit of MILD spice in the mouth feel. Either way, who cares? This is damn good tobacco.

Stay smokey my friends.

Pipe Used: MM Patriot, Peterson 307

Jesperff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jesperff (4)

I can't really add anything new to OGS which probably is the tobacco I have smoked most often over the years. Bright and haylike with a slightly sweet smell. Smooth unless you puff hard. I cannot detect the perique that supposedly is in it, it must be a tiny amount.

It ages nicely but beware that it takes several years for that, a mere few months in the unopened tin doesn't change anything. It may age faster in mason jars, haven't tried that yet but 8oz are jarred and waiting for New Year to be tested.

I usually buy it in pouch and the very long flake is a bit hard to fold & pack so I simply rub it out a bit before packing.

Pipe Used: Briars, mostly Stanwell Billards

Purchased From: Any Danish kiosk or gas station

Similar Blends: Other (nearly) unflavoured bright virginias in the Danish style.

samanfromiran Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samanfromiran (22)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

there are many reviews here that said this is a great tobacco.really i dont think this is a "great".i didnt like this one.also this company (orlik) said it has perique .where is the perique?why i couldnt detect any perique in this one?also manty users said this tobacco is low in nicotine but i dont think this idea is true.this is not a heavy smoke but also isnt mild .i wont buy this again

Earl Grey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Earl Grey (34)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

When I opened the tin, I could smell a sweet natural virginia flake. I found the fold and stuff worked best for me on this one. It had a nice tangy, sweet flavor to it. I couldn't detect any Perique. It was a nice long burning smoke. No tongue bite like some Virginias can have a tendency to do to me. Next time my TAD has me on a tin spree, I will be getting more of this.

Pipe Used: Danish Briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of tin.

Mike10 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike10 (16)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

Golden Sliced is the first Orlik tobacco I've tasted. I'd say that this company is a good producer of tobaccos, so don't dismiss anything I say as negative.

Overall, I can see that Golden Sliced is a good tobacco of moderate to fairly-strong character. It is, I have to say, a good Virginia-Perique blend. And while enjoyable, my personal tastes would lead me to not smoke it in the future. It is rather dry and sharp on the palate, more so because of the balance of Virginias in it rather than an overabundance of Perique.

Still, I can see why many would rely on this as their VaPer blend, and at a very reasonable price. It's my own subjectivity which would have me seeking to blend my own VaPer rather than buying Orlik's, and I neither regret nor reject this blend as being enjoyable for the most part.

Tplumm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tplumm (39)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

When the weather starts warming up I usually start reaching for this. It seems lighter and yes maybe it does have a citrus note, which goes good with a warm summer morning. I'm torn between several different VA flakes as to what would be my "favorite" but this is always a standard for sure.

Pipe Used: many

Age When Smoked: aged and fresh

pecheur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pecheur (19)

Yummy.

A hint of citrus to a virginia hay tin note. Comes as a long thin flake that's not too moist although I like to let it dry a wee while. The flake rubs out easily or will fold and stuff just as easily. This flake doesn't make life difficult.

The flake burns well and doesn't bite, it has a lovely sweet virginia taste that stoves down to a carmel type flavour in the bowl and the flavours get stronger the longer you smoke. The snork has flavours of honey, bergamot and a subtle floral type aroma that's quite delicious.

Really does benefit from as little as 12 months in the tin. I also found it a little fussy with pipe selection, some pipes seem to flatten the flavour.

Pipe Used: Falcon, Blakemar lovat, Askwith morta

Age When Smoked: Fresh & 12months+

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.com

Similar Blends: A stronger dunhill flake.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Very impressed. This to my mind is like an economy version of Dunhill flake and considering it's half the price i think it's very good value. This has enough nicotine to satisfy but is an easy all day smoke.

Granny Smith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Granny Smith (25)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Straight from the tin I found the flakes folded nicely into the bowl and were easy to put under the flame. At first I felt slightly underwhelmed with this tobacco, thinking it was very similar to many of the other Virginia flakes I smoke but as it got going the perique started to come through and the tobacco became deliciously creamy. I could detect a citrus like flavour and a tangyness, which I suppose comes from the perique. It's a good tobacco...not strong enough to become one of my faves but nonetheless one I will likely use regularly.

Pipe Used: Peterson silver spigot

Purchased From: GQ Tobacco

Similar Blends: Navy Flake, Virginia Flake.

Boerlum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boerlum (3)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This lovely Virginia blend have been on the shelves at every kiosk, service station and grocery store in Denmark for the last 50+ years - if they do not have this, they do not sell tobacco, not even cigarettes.

High quality VA blend and a pleasant casing. Easy to pack and light up, burns down well whit out fuss and do not leave a mess in the pipe. The flavour is sweet and reminiscent of a Danish hard candy known as 'Kongen af Danmark', whit a distinct taste of anise.

If you like VA you will love Orlik's Golden Sliced

Pipe Used: Mid size, straight pipes ex stanwell no 32

Purchased From: Any were

crrbassman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crrbassman (12)

It's no wonder that this tobacco has been around as long as it has been. I have been trying all kinds of VA's, hoping to center in on a go-to VA that is mild enough to be an ADS and has a flavor that I really enjoy. I keep coming back to this one.

I do get citrus and 'freshness' in the tin note, with gorgeous flakes that are not too moist right out of the tin. Whatever way you prepare it (fold-n-stuff, rub, partial rub, whatever...) it's gonna give you a reliable, dependable, predictable smoke. Smooth, mellow and really doesn't change significantly all the way down the bowl.

I don't know (or care) whether or not there is any Perique in this blend, though the tin I have says, 'with just a touch of Perique'. Whatever it is, it's an outstanding smoke. This has become one of my top 5, always-have-on-hand tobaccos.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Stellar billiard, Don Carlos 2-note

Age When Smoked: anywhere from straight from the tin to 6+ months

Purchased From: Local Edwards franchise

Bugenhagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bugenhagen (9)

When you open the tin, you are treated to a soft lemony sweetness that is mouth watering. I pick it to pieces and pack it light. Lighting is usually a three match affair: an initial charring light; a second more earnest charring light; then a final blast off that stays lit until you beg it to stop. Orlik Golden Sliced is a sweet mellow virginia with a hint of burley. Smells great, and behaves beautifully if sipped gently. This would be a great tobacco to share with an aromatic puffer as an intro to a mellow yet serious bowl of quality tobacco.

Bugenhagen

2/12/16 - Still love this stuff. I noted a hint of burley in my earlier review, but I now see that it is perique; just enough to add a touch of spice and a fuller mouth feel. The lemony, apricoty undertone delights me.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh from a new tin

Similar Blends: Capstan Blue, Dunhill Flake, Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake.

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (111)

This is a good all around blend. It seems rather spicy for a Virginina/Burley blend. Great flavor that I do not tire of, I rate this a a very fine smoke, deserving a place in everyone's cellar.

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (28)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

There is a reason this tobacco is on just about everyones top 10 list. Very good, and nothing fancy. Just a great smoke at any time of day. Did I mention its cheap too?

Pipe Used: various

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm going against the grain on this one. I like my virginias with a little something else, perique, burley, etc. I detected none of that here. Just a plain hay smelling flake. It folds and burns ver nicely, but there are better blends out there.

ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (13)

A pleasant straight virginia - no "perique" [irrespective of spelling] in this blend. No standout character points, although there is a slight citrus note. This is a 'cultured' blend without sharp edges. I tend to "drink" my pipe-full rather than just sipping it - so I can [unintentionally] induce a blend to bite when it really is my fault!! This blend is rather forgiving in this department, but still needs to be sipped sensibly - you'll find where the best smoking rate is for your case, just as I did. I found it better in a narrow-chambered Group3-size Sebastien Beo bent billiard rather than my usual "virginia" pipe(s) [Savinelli 316KS - a 24mm wide, tapered bowl]. The key to enjoying this blend is to keep it as cool as you can - over-heating the burn will produce a tart and unpleasant taste [and probably bite you as well]. Just to say it again - no stand-out character trait, just a well-mannered straight virginia to be enjoyed for what it is. OH! And no perique.

Pipe Used: Beo b/billiard, Savinelli "Erica Fiamma" 316KS

Age When Smoked: unknwon - new from supplier

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I generally like light VaPers, but if there is any Per in this VaPer, I couldn't detect it. As a straight VA, it's well-made but pretty boring

Purchased From: Mars Cigars

woodenmatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
woodenmatch (1)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

There is confusion about this product because the 50gram is a vaper and the100 gram is all Virginia. It so states on the tins, and if you open them together you will be sure to notice the difference in the smell. That being said both are 4 star.

Pipe Used: Boswell

Age When Smoked: Fresh from cab

Scupbucket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scupbucket (10)

A straight forward Virginia blend that never makes me frown and never makes my pipe puke. I could smoke this blend all day but my other blends would get jealous. OGS is consistent with each smoke... burns cool and even, and the taste remains the same all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Mouth watering tobacco goodness... the little guy on the tin agrees.

Pipe Used: Anthony Machelli poker, cheapie basket pipe, cob

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (24)

Orlik is a must for any Virginia lover. The flakes are beautiful with a light tin note. I feel it's necessary to let it dry for a bit once you rub it out to ensure a good burn. Once lit it has a great flavor. A small taste of hay but for me it had a very pleasant lemon flavor to the tobacco strong in the forefront. I enjoyed this tobacco very much and for the price it's hard to beat. Like other reviews, I didn't pick up any of the Perique but it's a good quality smoke regardless.

UPDATE:I watched a YouTube video that talked about there being a misprint on the Orlik tin. It was supposed to say Burley not Perique so I guess that would explain the lack of Perique in everybody's reviews. Just an FYI!

alesouza Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alesouza (4)

I started smoking virginias with the excellent Dunhill Flake. Nevertheless, after smoking Orlik Golden Sliced, I had to consider it also a great VA flake tobacco. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys virginias.

Torben Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Torben (7)

25 years ago I smoked Red Orlik and last night I tried it again. What a disappointment. No taste at all. Bland. Boring. Not the sweet, full and fragrant perception I had 25 years ago.

May 2013 I take back my words. Giving an extra star. This is a nice blend. I enjoy it in the afternoon. Not so surprising many facetted as Astley's 55, but a great all day smoke.

August 2013 Great blend. Comforting. Rich. A good friend. Six stars.

12/13 edit - I am knocking off a star on this one. I still think it is a good tobacco and quite a value in the states, but I recently had another tin of this and I was less impressed than I was with the first one. Also adding to this demotion would be the fact I recently tried Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake and I find I enjoy that one more than this.

Original Post

This is tied with the most expensive tobacco I ever purchased. I am not sure which was more expensive, but on vacation in Norway. I happened upon a Tobak shop and bought two 50 gram tins being completely oblivious to exchange rates. It wasn't until I got my credit card bill that I realized I paid nearly 90 bucks for the tobacco.

Technology makes some things just too easy. had I went old school and exchanged my money I would have been much more cognizant of my folly and would have passed and enjoyed the tobacco I brought. But enough of this and lets get to this great smoke.

Orlik knows how to do flakes. Dunhill Flake is my favorite VA and this is likely my favorite VaPer although the Per is very light. It is just a really enjoyable smoke. Tastes sublime. I look forward to ordering some from here at the real price. 4 stars. Buying tobacco in Norway minus 4 stars. :) I think if I was a norwegian piper I would just buy exotic discontinued blends on ebay. If you are going to spend that kind of bank, you might as well enjoy some Sobranie or something like that. lol

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Bought 2 tins from pipesandcigars.com, as part of a 10 tin purchase. It's already been stated, but I'll reiterate it again - a very mild cigarette flavor, smell with light nicotine character. I'm tempted to roll it up in a paper & smoke it, which I don't want to do, as I quit inhaling 7 years ago (took my cue from Slick Willie)

Perhaps a tad dry, but smoked cool and long. It'll be my a.m. bowl when I get the opportunity, I assume it's consistent as its very mild.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

. . . cigarettes in a pipe.

Rather bland, monochromatic and insipid, apart from the cigarettes.

I quite dislike the taste of cigarettes and the smell of them too. This tobacco reminds me of my university days when I thought I was an erudite bohemian rolling my own Gitanes cigarettes; moron.

Thankfully, my eventual father-in-law, even though I did not know that at the time, quickly took me aside: "Why are you farting around with cigarettes. If you're going to smoke THEN smoke"! He carefully and deliberately showed me the virtues of pipes and cigars; many thanks to him over the decades.

This tobacco might be just the thing for a cigarette person in recovery, and it does have a bit of Nicotine buzz.

Simply not my cup of tea at all.

Got five tins of this, so I was hoping it would be good, and I was not disappointed. A friend on CPS (if you know what that is) got 5 tins of Erinmore Flake without ever having tried it, so I figured I could take a chance. This is a nice simple little Virginia along the lines of Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, but with a touch of burley. It bites about as hard as a toothless Chihuahua, which is to say, not at all. The scent in the tin is pleasant and, well, grassy; but the smoke gives more complex notes with slow puffing. What notes, you might ask? I don't know, this tobacco isn't aged, so I'm not getting those fig/date tastes one gets sometimes from an aged Virginia. Maybe in ten years? But they are good notes, all the same. No off-tastes, no harshness whatsoever. And at $5 a tin? Go get some right now! This is a beautiful smoke, and if I ever manage to age a tin, who knows what it could turn into? Very highly recommended indeed.

Not sure about the Burley now; saw an article on a pipe site saying that was a tin error, and there is just VA and a very small touch of Perique. This would be three stars for me if it weren't so reasonably priced, but I add an extra star for value.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

Nice tin but it stops there at least for my taste.I have had good luck with not frying my tounge but this stuff you need to watch.Be careful it will bite with out warning.It has a licorce topping.If I want licorce ill go to the candy store.Its not a bad baccy but I highly dought i will buy any more.So try it for yourself if you must but its not hard to find better.If i could i would give it one and a half star rating.Sometimes ya win some times ya lose.Its your time and money.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (67)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is a high quality VA flake. While not noted in the description, I believe that it has a touch of perique in the blend. If that is so, it does not come through to any appreciable degree in the smoking quality.

It is somewhat moist out of the tin, and requires a bit of drying to smoke. Once rubbed out is packs easily,and I use it as a breaking-in tobacco for new pipes because the flavor is so neutral.

This one, like so many VA's, will burn hot if not smoked slowly and with care. While there is nothing wrong with the execution of this blend, it simply lacks any appreciable flavor or richness that makes it worth smoking over any number of other, better blends. I, like so many of us, only get one or two bowls per day, and it feels like a waste to smoke this, which offers little taste or singularity in experience, when there are other things so much tastier, and nicer smoking, out there. If, however, you are looking for a very mild, neutral blend for any reason, than this would fit the ticket perfectly.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (64)

Pretty much all has already been covered concerning this tobacco, so there's not much else to do than to join the choir and sing the praise of this blend.

I seem to prefer the 100g tinned Golden Sliced, by the way. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it seems a little more round in taste, a little spicier and overall more satisfying to smoke compared to the 50g tinned, which has always come out as a little sharper on the tongue and a little more dry to me.

Either way, I always make sure to have a tin at hand, and at least one backup of Orlik Golden Sliced. You should, too.

I don't think it's entirely perfect, but there's a reason for OGS' popularity, and it's not unfounded, not all tastes are the same however, but there's a pretty good chance you'll like this a lot, too.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I was going to give Mac Barens Navy flake another try, they didn't have any, however, a large round red tin of Golden Sliced was hurled in my direction, "try this" the shopkeeper said, no doubt trying desperately to make his first sale, "I've just got this in"

"Why not" I thought, and bought it. On opening the tin, I was presented with a long, wide ribbon of flake, didn't smell bad, bit dry to the touch, but then, that's Orlik, Mac Barens to a tee.

After several bowls what can I say, I have been looking for something to replace my ever diminishing supply of Dunhill Flake, this stuff is mellow, oh yes mellow...... can't taste.... can't taste...... can't taste anything, it's just tobacco, pure plain inoffensive tobacco.... a bit better than OK, burns well with no tongue bite and all the way down with just one match.

When I want a smoke without any flavourings AT ALL, and there are times, this will be it. Would I make this an all day smoke ? no, unless I wanted to be bored to death, would this replace Dunhill ? most definately not, would I buy it again ? probably.

Rating.... two stars or three ? Two stars for now, I may come back and update this to three, but first I'll finish the tin and see if I buy more.

Right, here we go then, I did finish the tin, I did go back and buy more, though only one tin, a bit unusual for me. I've finally decided what this tastes like, cigarettes..... totaly neutral. However, a good enough smoke to keep yourself busy while you decide what you want. Two stars.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I edit this blend up to 4 stars. I find it mild but superb, flowers and lemon with good natural flavors. Top mild VA flake.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't really add anything... tasty light Va... very nice if exhaled through the nose. No bite. Easy smoking, good price.

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've never really cared for this tobacco. Another reviewer suggests a hayish quality, I agree. It's not a bad tobacco, it simply lacks something. A venerable old name, try it if you must and you know you must!

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I stuff this into a billiard as a flake, or cut it with scissors into cubes. It is mild, pleasant, good for puttering about in warm weather. It could be a nice change of pace from heavy, or sweet blends. It's no barn burner, but it is well made, and certainly worth a look if you are a fan of Burley-Virginia blends. I prefer the 50g tins for their portability.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)

Golden Sliced is a Virginia flake with a little burley added to round out the flavor. I smoke it by cutting the flakes into 1 cm lengths and rolling the pieces. The rolls are topped in the pipe with a small amount of fully-rubbed tobacco and lit. Smoked this way, the tobacco lights easily, burns a long time, and does not bite.

The more I smoke this blend, the more I like it. Those who call it simple or boring probably have not spent enough time with it. The flavor is subtle but very pleasant, with citrus notes and warm darker Virginia tastes. I find it a comforting smoke that is particularly good in hot weather. If you like Virginia flakes, you will enjoy this one.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (120)

* Update 2013.

Try it in a cob! It's magical this way. Especially in MMC's "Pony Express" with a small chamber.

I've known this wonderful flake since i was a kid. My best friends father, (who actually WAS a judge; shrewd? i don't know.) used to smoke this all day long and the sweet and delightful roomnote lingers in my memories. Then, many years later i began to smoke it myself, and everytime i am lead back to his home.

This is plain VA, i know some of the other reviewers mentioned both Burley and Périque. No burley but a tad Perique. I asked Orlik Tobacco Company if it was true; i have seen several online tobacconists describe the blend as a mix of VA and Burley. Their answer: "Pure Virginia". With all due respect to my fellow reviewers' taste buds i wouldn't dream of being gleeful, this is only plain info.

It has a very unusual topping i think. I detected notes of aniseed, citrus and Earl Grey Tea (bergamot). It packs and burns very well, and i tend to rub it slightly to keep chunks in between. This gives me a much more complex smoke.

I really hope that some of you are able to find an international supplier for the other blends from Orlik. They're all here in Denmark, and i think it's a shame that people from the US don't have a single chance to get hold of the other blends from Orlik. (see tobaccoreviews.com) Most of these blends are just as good (sometimes even better)as MacBaren's products, but without that famous burn!

Golden Slices are the epitome of Danish flake tobacco, but there are other Danish flakes that are even better, i think.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is one of those tobaccos that I find is neccessary to keep on hand for those times when nothing else will do. It has a very rich tobacco taste that seems to be mostly Burley. The closest thing to it I have tried so far is MacBaren's Navy Flake, one of my all time favorites. The overwhelming difference is in the casing. While MNF has a honey flavor to it, Golden Slices has only straight tobacco flavor on the palate. When opening the tin there is a definite anise aroma in the background, but I never tasted it in the smoke. The tobacco taste is so rich it is almost buttery. The Virginias make this a naturally sweet blend, but it is the nutty burley that is the prevalent flavor. This blend needs to be dried out a little right out of the tin or you will get bitten. Unlike MNF I also noted that you had to smoke this like a Virginia flake or you would get bitten anyway. Take it nice and slow however and you will be richly rewarded.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)

I smoke a bowl of Golden Sliced a day. Most of the good things about the tobacco have already been said above. However, a faint burly flavor can be tasted in the very back of the palate if you exhale through the nose slowly. And I like this effect. Otherwise, this tobacco delivers a tasty, well-behaved Virginia flavor. Some sort of neutral sweeter has been added, but does not interfere with the tobacco taste. It is quality tobacco, and I agree it could easily be an all day smoke. I would classify it with Luxury Twist Flake, with less pronounced flavor in the sweetener and less bitter aftertaste, which is not a criticism of LTF. Highly recommended. Paddy.

The statement on the tin, 'smoked by all shrewd judges' speaks for me. If you want to taste just good tobacco in a nicely pressed flake, give this a try. Some may consider it bland without aromatic flavors but to me you taste sweet, rich VA. A smooth, cool smoke with no hint of bite.

tschenyinkoh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tschenyinkoh (51)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Tin Description: from the stglanepipe.com:

A blend of golden, fully ripe Virginia and a little Perique. Naturally sweet.

TOBACCO SELECTION: A touch of Perique adds zesty new life to the flavor of Flue-cured Virginia tobacco.

TOBACCO CUT: Flake

FLAVOR/AROMA: This attractive, non-aromatic blend encompasses a delectable span of flavor intensities from mild to medium in strength.

SIZES: 1.75 oz. tin and 3.5 oz. tin

VARIANTS: Golden Sliced, Racing Green, Club Mixture, Golden Mixture, Mellow Mixture

However, I never taste any Perique or Perique spice. In other words, it is a strong hay smell Virgina Flake rather than VaPer Flake. Golden Sliced is pretty basic but pretty tasty with natural Virginia honey sweet taste.

So I totally agree with the reviews from Pipestud and Gentleman Zombie:

Gentleman Zombie: "Honey sweet notes of citrus. A touch of hay or straw. Simple, but delicious. There is just the slightest amount of spice. Doesn't seem Perique to me. More like a Virginia spice. If this has Perique, I can't taste it. Just a marvelous, very relaxing smoke."

Pipestud: "As for the Perique debate; my take is this; if a blend has Perique that cannot be tasted in the blend, then I don't call it a VaPer. Golden Sliced, in the form that I smoked, was NOT a VaPer. If you want a light and flavorful tobacco tasting smoke that can be enjoyed all day long, then look here. "

By the way, do not decrease the tin moisture: if the flake is a little bit dry, it tastes very harsh. In other words, prefect tin moisture is just perfect and ready to enjoy.

Three and a half stars rating all day smoke.

Pipe Used: Cornell & Diehl Charles Towne Cobbler

Age When Smoked: nearly one year

Purchased From: 2 oz tins from pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: Dunhill - flake.

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (17)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The quintessential golden Virginia flake by which all others should be judged. The easy-smoking quality of this blend is only outpaced by the elegant flavors it puts forth. It is the smoke for purists that can also appreciate simple things and subtlety.

Pryhosm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pryhosm (112)

I love the tin note of Orlik Golden Sliced! Very fresh Virginia: Sweet, grassy, pungent hay and some slight notes of raisins and/or figs. Let's get this out of the way up front: I am sure there is perique in this blend. It is there in the tin note, but barely and it is there in the flavor, although subtle. The flavor is really a classic bright Virginia. Citrus notes with cut grass and that Virginia sweetness, apricots or other stewed fruits. The perique to me comes in the finish, you get the figs and raisins as after taste, I also get the tingle in my nose on a retro hale.There is also a peppery note but I have noticed that that is more evident when pushed (puffers will find it). Unlike most blends, the taste of the air coming through the pipe when it goes it is very pleasant. Still get the grassy sweetness and the fruits from the periques and VA's. Burns well with a little dry time and leaves almost no moisture in bowl.

Pipe Used: briars, bobs and meerschaums

Purchased From: pipe's and Cigars

Wolffenstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolffenstein (3)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I would say it’s my second favorite after strong dark Olik. The reason would be it is very mild in taste. It would make a great entry pipe Tabacco however if you have been smoking Virginia’s for a while this would be too mild. I wish I started on this rather than aromatics it would be saved me from a lot of tounge bites and hurtful nights.

Pipe Used: Bruyere of Berlin

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Peter Henrichs köln

Erman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Erman (9)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a fan of Virginia blends. So i just wanted to try the popular "golden sliced" and made a swap for a 50 gr. pouch.

First Impressions: Pouch contains "half broken" flakes. You can different hues of Virginia leaves. Tin aroma is a mix of natural Virginia and artificial fruit flavours. Flakes requires a bit of drying time. I chose rubbing method to fill them into my pipe.

The taste; well as a fan of many great Virginia blends, i found this blend lacking...

The tobacco seems to be of good quality, burns cool and doesn't need relights. However, probably the producer found the Virginias dull and tried to reinforce them with a strong, artificial fruit-citrus-licorice topping, which is a complete deal breaker for me. It's hard to taste the Virginias and topping leaves an awful aftertaste.

Verdict: Well, if i was in a desert island and only had this tobacco with me, I would probably get used it. But while there are many great Virginia blends around I don't think i will buy this again.

Pipe Used: Several briars.

Age When Smoked: 3 month jarred.

Purchased From: Received from a friend.

Daniel W. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel W. (23)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It isn't a tobacco that I like it. The taste is very subtle. Some almonds, low bitterness, low acidity and low body. The aftertaste is kind of almonds.

Pipe Used: Peterson 69 Killiney

Purchased From: Paulo Santiago

pete177 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pete177 (3)

Flat...a bit harsh. Nothing here really. A little woodsy, some pepper. Not worth tin prices; maybe as a bulk tobacco if you had nothing else to smoke. Too many other good tin VaPer's out thete to waste time and money on this.

Pipe Used: grabow, kaywoodie

Age When Smoked: tin

Purchased From: pipes & cigars

Similar Blends: Ciggarette tobacco..

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)

Wonderful golden flake cut, a strong hints of citrus for - to me - a typical summer blend, cool, pungent, fresh. With his great price, Golden Sliced could be a good occasion for anyone who wants to try a VA-Pe. 3,5/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: Al Negresco, Ponte Tresa (Switzerland)

Claus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claus (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

My tin is round and it is not really flake, it is a big rund spun cake in the tin. It is sort of flake I suppose, it is easy to peel of a piece of this big mother load and fold it and stuff. The tin is cool enough with the judge. The tin note is grass and hay. It is not really easy to light and keep lit. But it is no big problem. Burns slow and doesn´t get hot so easy. Leaves a fine grey ash that is very easy to scrape out. It was a bit wet when i opened the tin. So, is there any Perique? I am to unexperienced to say for sure. Sometimes when I smoke a bowl I get a nice spicy sensation, especially in my nose. But the next time I smoke there isn´t that feeling. Can the Perique be that unevenly spread around in the tin? Or is it just some Virginia note i pick up, so maybe ther isn´t any P after all? But overall it is not my kind of tobacco i am afraid. Sorry, I think it is to grassy and uninteresting. But the Perique made me curious, I will search for another tobacco with mote P in it.

Purchased From: Airport

Stuffin McPipey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stuffin McPipey (9)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Pretty average tobacco. I wasn't craving nicotine after my smoke session but I wasn't completely satisfied. The flavor was nothing to rave about, neither great nor terrible. I didn't notice any casing which for me is a good thing. The best part about this tobacco in my opinion is the room note; it's pleasant and mild, not invasive like some folks have with English blends (I am not one of those people). You could probably get away with smoking this in public without all of the ranting and raving. I think the balance of my tins will end up as stocking stuffers for my friends, for me there is just too many better options out there and not enough time.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Purchased From: Online

Similar Blends: Cigarettes.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (62)

I was able to obtain a fairly old tin of this, which weighed 100g, I' m not sure how old it was, but would estimate it was made no later than 2001, as the price on the tin was in French Francs.

The tin note was as expected, a fruity mature Virginia scent with hints of stewed fruits & a spicy back-note.

In appearance, the 'Flake' has merged into a massive indiscriminate lump of tobacco, mostly dark, with light flecks. The outline of where the flakes has once been could be seen, but they could no longer be separated.

The tobacco rubbed out very easily to an almost shag-like consistency.

Lighting was easy & the tobacco took the flame & maintained a burn easily - if anything it had a propensity to burn too fast but that can be remedied by not rubbing it out so much.

The flavour was pleasant, tasted very much like other darkish Virginia flakes with the Perique very muted in the background (at many times not noticeable at all). The taste was fruity & sweet, a very nice summer smoke. The taste itself was quite mild, and the nicotine content was mild to medium, in my opinion.

The room note was - again - standard dark Virginia note, light, mild & inoffensive.

Overall, a nice smoke, did not blow me away, but I would certainly smoke again, and will probably buy more in the future.

Pipe Used: GBD Bulldog, Duncan Hill Aerosphere

Age When Smoked: At least 15+ years

Purchased From: Private Sale

Similar Blends: Player's - Navy Cut Flake, Ogden - Walnut Flake.

Berzerker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Berzerker (17)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Yes a lot has already been said about this tobacco. It's in my regular rotation but not necessarily my favorite. For me, I tend to smoke it more often in the summer with ice cold beer, it pairs really well with a crisp lager or two. This is not a straight virginia, it has some burley and a very small amount of perique, not enough in my opinion, less burley and more perique would be better. That aside, it is one of the best non aromatics out there, smooth, nil bite, lights easily and just very easy to smoke. The danes apparently smoke it by the tonne but obviously not just in the summer months since that would only be about one and a half months of the year! I know a bit about the weather in Denmark as I lived there for almost twenty years.

Ian K Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian K (26)

Got this as a sampler and kinda dismissed it at first as Virginias are not really my favourite but on sampling a couple of bowls have ordered a couple of tins to add to my rotation...great smoke with plenty of flavour to it and enough going on in the mouth to keep you interested. Personally gives me that full feeling I get with a burley and I know there's a burley / Perique discussion going on but I'm not getting involved with that...what I know is that it's a satisfying smoke that delivers a nice tingle to the mouth and a pleasant light "hay-ish" style taste which lights and smokes great straight from the box.

Pipe Used: Petersons 314 / Dunhill billiard

Purchased From: The Baccy shop

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

What can I say that hasn't already been said? It's a good all-around VA flake. I have smoked Dunhill Flake for a long time, so it was pretty much the "standard" by which I judge VA flakes. First of all, the tin note is just like fresh cut hay. I really like the fact that the slices are much thinner than other flakes. They pack much easier and don't break apart as much. It burns evenly and holds a flame. The flavor is sweet, tangy, citrus...It's what a good VA is suppose to be. Honestly, I don't get even a hint of Perique. All in all, a good summertime smoke to me.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabows, cobs

Purchased From: JR Cigars

BarryChello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BarryChello (7)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I usually smoke this for the first pipe of the day, nice and fresh not too much nic and it never gets boring. Its both very sweet and very sour at the same time, but never ever gets bitter. Good price too.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs

Purchased From: My smoking shop

Similar Blends: solani virginia flake.

Alhaji Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alhaji (33)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Smoked this for the first time today. It is medium to strong and can be quite strong if smoked 'fast and furious'. Without prejudice to what some reviews have stated, it certainly contains Perique - not just a hint of Perique but a fair amount. Unless of course my taste buds got it all wrong.

Pipe Used: La'Anatra Hornsitter

Age When Smoked: New order

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)

I am usually very suspicious with all the Danish blends (I hate aromatics), but Golden Sliced is OK. The tin note is somewhat reminiscent of Erinmore with a topping that smells like orange peel. The flake presentation is one of the best I have ever seen. This is coil tobacco and it breaks down in thick leather like ribbons when you pull the whole thing apart. In my personal opinion this is very suggestive and an invitation to have a sit-down and explore. The strength of this tobacco is rather mild and the topping is only slightly detected in your smoke. I would have expected a stronger tobacco in this respect, but I guess this is what it is. I am finding this tobacco very similar to things like Capstan or Dunhill Flake, but the topping will set it apart. I'd be surprised if this tobacco surprised the more experienced smoker, but that is not to say this is not a good baccy or that it should avoided at all cost. I don't think I will buy it again, but I've nor reasons to reject it either.

Blocka33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blocka33 (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It just works. Fantastic presentation - thin consistent flakes that allow you to fold and stuff or rub out. The perique is a condiment. The tin note is apricots and a little aniseed.

This could be a desert island smoke. It is no nonsense. Behaves well and rewards with a pleasant smoke each and every time.

Pipe Used: Various

hoo-boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hoo-boy (26)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This blend is Virginia with a tad of Burley and Perique . It has ln taste and aroma a natural sweetnesss in a navy flake cut into slices. It is not my one of my daily smokes but it deserves a spot in my rotation and I have some on hand at all times. As the picture on the can implies I judge it to be worthy of 3 stars. Try it an d see, I believe you will agree. hoo-boy

Pipe Used: large Wellington

Age When Smoked: doesn't matter

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco caught me off guard. I was anticipating it to be decent....I had no idea it was so good.

Beautiful flake that has spots of bright yellow throughout. Easy to pack and load into pipe. The smoke was creamy and delightful. It definitely is one that needs to be sipped to bring out all the delicate sweet flavors. It can bite if you don't sip properly and becomes very 'Hay' forward. I experienced this because of my poor packing job which then required me to relight a few times. With that being said, the sweetness of this blend is truly amazing. I thought for a moment that perhaps it had been flavored with some chocolate or fruit, but its plain to see, smell, and taste, that this is not the case. The flavors from the smoke were slight hay, some fruit notes, and I did detect a bit of chocolate, which could be from the virginias and what I think is burley. I know there is a debate about all this...I for one didn't detect perique, but thought for sure there must be a touch of burley in these wonderful slices.

Truly a wonderful tobacco that I could see myself smoking all day. A must try for pipers and a must have for virginia lovers. My next order will have a few tins of this included in it.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob M.M.

Age When Smoked: Aged a few months

Purchased From: Gifted

Similar Blends: Nording - Beagle (Hunter Blend).

riverbeard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
riverbeard (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

My favorite all day smoke. Also my first repurchase since I've started smoke 2 months ago.

Smooth and easy smoke for this newcomer. Perfect moister content right out of the tin.

Pairs very well with Ice Tea(Long Island or otherwise.)

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Purchased From: pipesandcigars,com

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Orlik golden sliced is a great flake tobacco. I have been working my way through a tin of this and it really is a solid virgnia perique flake. This blend is really a sweet Virginia taste and the perique isn't really noticeable to me. I do enjoy the spice of perique and I feel golden sliced does lack that. Overall I would recommend this blend because it is a classic as well as a very good virgnia flake. The strength department I would say this is mild, there is no flavoring added to this tobacco, the taste is medium, the room note is pleasant to tolerable.

Pipe Used: Belmont Whitehall

Age When Smoked: Fresh and 3 months.

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars.

NobbyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NobbyR (79)

In this review I refer to the round 100-g-tin available in Germany, which contains a single long strip of mottled light brown flake tobacco.

The tin note reminds me of aniseed or licorice with hints of citrus fruits and hay.

You need to tear or cut off a piece of tobacco about twice as long as the the chamber of the bowl is deep and use the fold and stuff method for filling your pipe. Alternatively, you might rub it out, which is what the manufacturer advises. It can be a little difficult to put the charring light evenly to the tobacco. Afterwards I level out the ashes before the true light.

Being a Virginia based blend, Orlik Golden Sliced needs to be smoked gently and coolly or it will bite your tongue. There's not much anissed flavor in the taste, but rather grassy notes and maybe the aroma of rye bread, which both mix nicely with fruity hints of orange zest. It's a balanced smoked that starts out mellow and tends to get stronger as the bowl progresses. At the end there will be some greying ash.

The room note is pleasant with some fruity sweetness.

Pipe Used: Lorenzo Spitfire

Purchased From: Esterval's Pipe House

coldmoon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
coldmoon (24)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Very neat flakes with just the right amount of moisture in the tin. By the color of the flakes I would guess it to be just golden VAs in the flake. Tin aroma reminds me of hay in the summer with a little touch of honey.

I have tried both - to pack the whole flake in the pipe and also to rub out the flake and pack it that way. Both methods do smoke very differently and there is an impact on the taste as well. Whole flake smokes cooler than broken one but needs more relights. Whereas broken flake tends to smoke hotter but stays lit much longer. If I go outside to smoke I usually fold whole flake in the bowl. This way the wind does not burn the pipe so much.

Upon lighting the pipe I am greeted with the usual natural sweetness from VAs but also some sort of citrusy/honey note comes through. Cannot tell if the perique is really present in this tobacco. If it is then it's very tiny amount because I cannot detect it at all. To me it feels that this is just a good quality golden virginia flake.

The strength is medium although it gets a little bit stronger towards the end of the bowl.

Room note is noticeable but not unpleasant. Been smoking this tobacco indoors without too much complaints.

The nicotine level is not very high. This could easily be an all-day smoke. All in all - very good quality relatively cheap golden VA flake tobacco. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Featherweight 199

slightlyfermentedvirginiaflake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slightlyfermentedvirginiaflake (11)

This tobacco is top notch! I have always loved Virginia Flakes and this is one of my favorites. I am very amused by reviews suggesting that Perique is included in the blend...? That tobacco has a very distinct aroma and flavor, which is not to be found in Golden Sliced. To me, the predominant Virginia sweetness and subtle presence of burley is very satisfying. One of the finest flakes out there!

Pipe Used: various standard shapes

Waldorf Salad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Waldorf Salad (6)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The good news first - I was able to stuff a flake into my pipe and keep it going with only one light while on a cold, windy rooftop, which is saying something for this novice. The taste experience wasn't what I was hoping for, though. It reminded me of nothing more than a cigarette with a little bit of spice. I'm not experienced enough to get into the burley/perique debate, but whatever added the spiciness didn't help. I'm giving 2 stars for the very easy burn of a flake straight from the tin. Handsome presentation as well.

Winchester38 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Winchester38 (11)

Tin note is nice. Smells like fresh hay with a touch of honey/apricot/molasses. Not overly sweet smelling, just a hint of something there.

Rubbed out one flake, let it air dry for ten or fifteen minutes, before packing into my Savinelli. One char light, light tamp, brief touch of the flame, and smoked all the way through, with only one more quick touch from my lighter about two thirds of the way through.

Nice medium-light smoke. To my inexperienced palate, I taste mostly straight Virginia, with a hint of spiciness, and a hint of sweetness. Smoked cool and smooth the whole way through the bowl.

Nice, but didn't blow me away. I'll definitely revisit it at some point. For the time being, rating it a three out of four, nothing wrong with this one, but wasn't outstanding for me either.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 310 Trevi

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

This is a good one from Orlik. It may have perique in it or it may not, not entirely sure, but it did liven the nose with a few soft exhalations. This medium to light brown colored flake is a true bargain. In the 100 gram tin you get one or two large flakes at the perfect moisture level to...get ready, pack and smoke! The smoke volume was good, the flavors were slightly floral at the beginning, bright hay with a little spicy pepper. An excellent middle of the road flake very similar in strength to Dark Kentucky. Though not as rich as DK, this was perkier, had more lift, more palate tingle...a very good bit of tobacco. Dry, cool smoke with no bite. Another fine offering from Orlik, Highest Recommendations! TYLRTL

beercritic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beercritic (33)

I really liked the straight Virginia in the 100gm tins. I found the perique here to be fairly non-assertive. This is a good smoke, but I prefer the balance & price of stokkebye's Bullseye Flake for my VaPer needs. Course, I'm aging some Escudo for retirement.

Pipe Used: Briar

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (76)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I bought a tin of this due to all the favorable reviews and the fact that this tobacco has been a best seller for many years. Everyone's tastes are different, and some tastebuds are more sensitive than others. Perhaps I'm very sensitive to Perique, because that's the first thing that hit me with this tobacco - a spicey, peppery note that nearly overwhelms the rather bland and uninteresting virginias.

I was surprised and disappointed by my first few smokes, and wondered what all the fuss was about. So I persevered, but simply couldn't in the end understand why this tobacco is so popular. To my taste this is a fairly ordinary virginia with some spicey perique and a slight citrus flavor added.

Perhaps this is a tobacco that matures with age. I'm not particularly interested in that - what I want is to be able to open a tin and relax and enjoy. I didn't get that from Orlik Golden Sliced - just a bland, uninteresting smoke, coupled with a little too much peppery overlay.

Edit: I've continued to smoke my 100g tin, and gradually this one has grown on me. Whether that's just familiarity, or whether I'm now noticing better qualities than before I'm not sure. Perhaps having the tin open for a month has changed some of the flavors due to drying out a little. I now taste less Perique and more virginia hay/sweetness with a little depth that wasn't there before. The slight citrus flavoring has also grown on me, and makes this tobacco different from others.

Houndstooth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Houndstooth (34)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I opened a 100 gm tin of this a month or so back. I never tasted any of the advertized "fresh citrus and orange notes" nor did I smell any of that in the tin note either. I was a little disappointed, but I got over it. After all, it's high grade Virginia that needs no drying time or rubbing- just tear off a hunk of the size you want and stuff it in. It burns nice and slow.

I don't think there's perique here either, but there should be enough nicotine for anyone looking for it, as a matter of fact if you don't like nicotine it might be best to avoid Orlik. I tend to smoke it in small quantities. There's a purity to this tobacco, which I think is a huge part of its appeal. I prefer it to Escudo and the Navy ilk, but that's me. 3 stars.

Pipe Used: cobs to Peterson Army

Age When Smoked: purchased nearly a year ago

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Nicotiana_rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicotiana_rustica (23)

TYPICAL VA/PER- Danish style!!! There are some very great blends that incorporate PERIQUE (to my friend PIPESTUD....OGS had NEVER EVER...EVER BURLEY IN IT! Clean your pipe- alcohol&salt- then- the perique jumps realy out)....and this is one of them!

Nice tin.... the foil wrapper is a welcome sight, the moisture is perfect...the smoke is rich and easy...AND THE PRICE IN EU (10,20 EUR- 50g) is ok.

Sometimes i taste the same aroma (topping??) as of ERINMORE FLAKE, although way more subdued in the background!!!

Overall a perfect VA/PER. 5 points!

Pipe Used: peterson kildare 999, 9mm filter

Age When Smoked: fresh from pouch

Purchased From: https://pipe-shop.net/

Similar Blends: SG best brown flake (without topping).

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

I put this in the same category as all other straight virginias. Just a high quality plain tobacco. A lot of people love this stuff but i have found i'm much more of an american aromatic or or full english fan. I don't hate this it's just not for me, but if you like straight high quality tobacco this is toward the top of the list for sure.

Age When Smoked: new, just opened

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake.

corncobcolombiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
corncobcolombiano (9)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend for me is always near the top of my list. I consistently really enjoy it unlike some tobaccos that seem to surprise you when you return to them, for better or worse. Great straight red virginia with a tiny bit of perique is what I taste. Elegance, simplicity, beautiful, clean taste. And for me, lightweight with nicotine, it's just about perfect, not as strong as many straight Virginias, though I can even get light headed with a full bowl of this. Great blend to have around, especially for such a great price!

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I try this blend when my friend visit my house and pipesmoking together, the taste is quite mild with straight virginia taste and little bit citrus flavor. Easy to pack and light, not too bad room notes and my wife not complain about the smell. Now i had smoke this stuff for the 3rd tin and i must commit i really like it much. The mature virginia taste so well to puff, grassy with the scent of green tea on the edge and just a little bit spice. There is no intension if this stuff will harm my tongue so bad, but with a slow puff, i really enjoy the mellowness of smoking. Not much perique added to this blend so there is no hars spiceness, just add a little plum taste to enjoy.

Pipe Used: Hardcastle Bulldog

Age When Smoked: fresh and 1 year

Purchased From: Indonesia Local Tobacconist

reflectingdane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
reflectingdane (3)

Hi everyone,

I would just clarify ...

Edit: Stupid and embarrassing review, which wasn't even a review before. The least I can do now give my thoughts on Golden Sliced. It is currently my favourite tobacco. I smoke at least 3 bowls a day of it, and all my pipes are dedicated to it, because every time I want a smoke, Golden Sliced is what I want. And I recommend it to everyone who enjoys virginias. I too believe that there is perique here, because I taste it, and because of the sources I have heard it from, here on the net, and so on. But it is a small amount, and when I smoke it, mostly I taste bright virginia.

psadair Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
psadair (3)

A very straightforward flake with a rather simple and consistent flavor profile from first puff to last. Lightly sweet virginia hay, a bit of peppery spice, and subtle but bright citrus notes. The flake is of a perfect moisture and consistency to rub and smoke immediately. Very impressed with the effortless preparation needed. I am half through my first tin and at this point I am unsure if I will order again...not because I disliked it...but because there are so many others ahead of it on the list. Enjoyable...but nothing earth-shattering about this variety.

BTGreenwald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BTGreenwald (13)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This flake really does it for me. It is cool and it is sweet. I taste hints of sweetened, baked bread. It is a reliable, no nonsense smoke.

mdnyc71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mdnyc71 (22)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Golden Sliced isn't a bad smoke. There isn't anything about it that I truly dislike, but there is nothing I find special about it either. I average one bowl per day so I want that bowl to count.

Updated 2014-04-03 I gave this another try and my opinion hasn't changed. I do however want to note that I tried this tobacco as a VaPer and truly enjoy Perique. If there is Perique in this at all, it's not enough to give me the flavor I so enjoy. I imagine this tobacco would be more appealing to the straight VA smokers.

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (30)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I have to somewhat agree with the review stating that there may be no perique in this. I have been smoking it a while now and had it pegged as a VA with a small amount of burley. In fact, I'd have to say it is pretty obvious to most who smoke it without first looking at Orlik's description. I'm puzzled as to why they would first say it was Burley ... and now change it to perique ... unless it was for marketing purposes. For years, as I understand it, it was described as VA with a touch of burley. Interesting.

As to the tobacco, it is a pretty straight forward VA w a touch of Burley ... as far as I can tell. I did not detect any Perique though I did detect the smallest amount of flavoring which I suppose "could" be a truffle sort of aroma. Truthfully I believe it to be the VA and burley combo .. with a small amount of flavoring on the burley side. My tins are aged a min of two years and the tobacco burns near perfectly. Can't speak to fresh tins, but these flakes are not overly moist and burn right out of the tin. Fresh cut hay aroma with a touch of dried fruit, tiny bit of nuttiness, with the hint of pepper. No bite as far as I can tell, but again, my tins are aged. Combined with the price makes this tobacco a 3 star for sure. Recommend stocking up at current prices.

donmartinthree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donmartinthree (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

this has never, not even once, been disappointing. it's consistently great!

upon opening, there's a citrusy, damp hay-like aroma which is pleasant. the one long strip of flake looks great, too. the moisture level is perfect out of the tin (and pouch...)

rip off a piece, fold and stuff, light, tamp, light, enjoy!

the flavor is quite high-noted at the beginning, cvan be sharp if puffed too hard, but if smoked slowly, yhis is awesome. smoke slowly for full flavor range.

it gets citrusy, earthy, sweet, raisiny, plum-like at times, spicy, it's all there if smoked the right way. I love it and always will have some on hand!

tip: if you reserve a pipe for just OGS, it will be divine...

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (35)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Light enough to be an all day smoke, enough perique to keep it interesting for sure. More success rubbed out but good either way. My first foray into this type of primarily Virginian and I am very satisfied.

The reviews seem mostly accurate to me. Doesn't matter which pipe I use, it burns nice and cool, nice and slow and now I'm quite curious as to how the other flakes I've ordered will stand up to this one. Cus this one works quite well.

If I were a store owner and NooB came in asking for a bunch of aros, I'd say, "Ok, here are some aromatics for you, but you might want to give this one a shot." Seems like all newcomers to the Men of Briar start out this way; too many aromatics. I'm guilty. Now I don't ever go to an aromatic anymore and I'm going to go back and redo my aro reviews.

It is what it is and this all quite subjective. But Orlik, it seems to me, represents what pipe tobacco should be: pipe tobacco and NOT perfume.

Each bowl gets better and better. This one makes my top five. Might not be that way in a year from now but certainly worth keeping a few tins in the cellar.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I really can't add any more to what has already been said about this blend, but I'll toss in my two cents, as well. I've tried several different Navy Cut type flakes in my journey. Some being PS Luxury Navy Flake, Rotary Navy Cut, Dunhill Flake, Full Virginia Flake, etc., but Orlik seems to satisfy and interest me more than others. Everyone knows the qualities of Virginia tobacco; hayish smell, tangy taste, a little citrus flavor. Orlik has all of that, as well as a little spice from the perique.

I've tried a lot of the rest of the flakes and I found them all enjoyable, but OGS is one that i keep coming back to. When it comes to Navy Cut flakes, this one is at the top of my list. It's consistent, flavorful, and burns quite well. It's also cheap as hell (which is definitely something to factor in) and, though PS Luxury Navy Flake is cheaper, this one beats it hands down. I was teetering between 3 and 4 stars and i'll have to say it's a solid 3.7, if anything for me.

EDIT (4/22/2016) - Yep. Still love it and still keep coming back to it. Resistance is futile...

22yrsonthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
22yrsonthepipe (22)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Comes ready to smoke out of the round 50g tin (has a single long flake). Not too wet, not too dry. Rubs out easily. Stays lit. No gurgle. Really nice citrus Seville orange marmalade taste that stays till the end of the bowl - actually concentrates if anything and gets slightly more bitter (not in a bad way). I dont like eating marmalade but as it turns out, I like smoking it!. The perique is only just enough to round out the citrus flavor, which is ideal. No pepperiness. Really nice lingering orange aftertaste. A model of what aromatics should be. Excellent value for money. I cant find a single fault with it, which is unusual for me. This is going into my rotation as the go-to vaper flake.

Shoog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoog (13)

What more can really be said after 250+ reviews? I will agree with most of the positive comments on this one. As far as some of the past comments describing this smelling of cigarette smoke, I disagree. It smelled of sweet grass incense to my wife and I. The only negative thing I have to say about OGS is it dried my mouth something fierce. But a glass of iced tea during the smoke made it very enjoyable.

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (44)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Beautiful clean flakes. First flavor is fragrant hay. Overall impression is zingy tartness. The smoke (strength) is bolder than the flavor (taste). Not a very exciting smoke but quality tobaccos and satisfying.

Just as an aside, I often mixed a small amount of 1792 flake (which I simply cannot smoke alone) with this and the result was wonderful. The 1792 added depth and sweetness which is somewhat lacking in this tobacco.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)

The long awaited (for me) Golden Sliced is a Golden Virginia flake with some Perique. The tin presentation is very nice, the flakes have a nice hay smell with citrus notes and are easy to fold in the pipe.

The smoke is tangy and at times, very slightly peppery. The topping, if used, is unnoticeable so you really have the sensation of smoking a pure, unadulterated Navy Cut Flake Virginia tobacco that is perfectly spiced. The Perique is used to support the Golden Virginia, giving it more body and that dried prune taste at times and graciously disappearing to allow you to savor a divine offering for a Virginia tobacco lover.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)

Great citrus notes in the can. Sweet taste and approved room note. Find that mid bowl this becomes quite bland. Only detect Perique when breathing in side stream smoke. Definitely a background component. As this is not fast burning I can find a tad boring mid bowl and possessing a cigarette flavor as another has mentioned. Towards the end a different note develops and the tobacco takes on more earthiness and is more enjoyable. I have gone through 2 tins in the past year. My best experiences with this come as 1st pipe of the day on a blank palate in a Tsuge with a narrow chamber.

I believe this is a great choice for one taking their initial leap into Va's and flakes. Could definitely be an all day smoke. In my humble opinion, it lacks a bit in the flavor dept. I prefer C&D's Briar Fox when craving a milder VA.

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (34)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

A straightforward bright VA flake. If there's perique in this I'd be amazed. It tastes exactly like what it's Orlik description says - (bright) Virginia with a hint of burley. If it was Virfinia and Perique not burley, Orlik would be breaking EU trades description laws in a big way as well. So I guess it could just be that the one-off statement on a web site that this has perique in it is erm.... wrong.

There's a distinct citrus/orange arome in the tin, but I doubt it's a casing/topping as I've come across other non-aromatic bright VAs and some cigars that have this. It's really a "green (fresh) tobacco" odour that some young leaf has which gets lost with age unless trapped in a tin or cigar tube.

Golden Sliced isn't really like a factory-produced cigarette, but does remind me a bit of hand rolling tobacco such as Golden Virginia (though GV actually has more taste as it's darker cured and contains some oriental). Very grassy/hay like, with no VA low notes or perique spice and richness at all.

Can bite a little if rushed, but has so little flavour that I tend to end up rushing it.

It's not objectionable but to my taste there are far better takes on a mild/medium strength VA flake around. Gawith & Hoggarth's Bright CR, for example, is at least as good, though Bright CR is quite a bit stronger. Sam Gawith's Best Brown and Germain's Brown Flake utterly demolish it, though again both are sronger.

I can see why fans of mild tobaccos would go for it though, so somewhat recommended if that's what you're looking for.

GrowingMyOwnFood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GrowingMyOwnFood (14)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I found this tobacco in a 7-11 in Copenhagen. It comes in a 40 grams (not 50 as stated) pouch. The flake cut is in large, folded ribbons.

Most reviewers claim a smell in the pouch of oranges or hay. I personally feel a hint of licorice, definitely pleasurable. It smokes fair and rich, but has mild strength and flavor, no bite, and acceptable temperature. It's a tobacco which I recommend to have around for a long, relaxed, unsophisticated smoke, but having to choose between this and an Early morning, I'd prefer the EM.

I strongly advice to smoke it in a small bowl. Flake burns for a very long time, and unless you want to smoke for hours, a traditional cob will probably be already on the "too big" side. I used a clay pipe and I was generally happy with the temperature of the bowl, which never reached untenable temperatures.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (58)

Finally got around to this blend. Very good tobacco. Sweet and mild, very much like Stokkebye's Navy Flake. I am very much enjoying these "brighter" type VA/PERs at the moment. Great price for a tin. Try this or Navy Flake if you like a citrus/hay/ VA/PER. All day smoker.

marper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marper (8)

Tried this one out in RYO cig. Makes an excellent smoke. Nice citrus notes. This tobacco smells very nice in the can. To make a RYO cigarette you will need to rub it out and blend it with some other more combustible tobacco and let it dry. This reminds me of a really high end cigarette like Dunhill or Nat Sherman. Well worth the extra money it cost compared to other RYO tobaccos.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (59)

Sweet VA with just the right amount of Perique peppery spice and in a lovely flake format that should satisfy any perfectionist for consistency of flake size and thickness. Presentation in the tin is nice too. At match: VA graham-cracker sweetness with a hint of spice wash over the tongue and gums again and again with each puff - think aftertaste of pumpkin pie spice. Second half of the bowl the flavors are a little less distinct and more mellow but the sweetness remains. Moderate nicotine level.

There are slightly finer smoking VA/Per flakes out there (Escudo comes to mind) but for an honest, consistent VA / Per flake in a lovely format at a surprisingly affordable price this one is hard to beat. 3.5 stars.

Stress Free Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stress Free (2)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I think the person who referred to this excellent pipe tobacco as a "cigarette" tobacco thought that he was reviewing a different brand. This is a flue-cured VA/P flake which is low in nicotine. Hardly conducive to rolling a cigarette.

In my view, it is an excellent any-time-of day tobacco.

SteveH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveH (35)

Comes as two giant flakes, folded, rather than lots of smaller flakes. Quite dry. Rubs out to fine strands. Appearance: medium brown flake. Smell - strong, spicy. Taste - mild at first, perique sharpness coming through later. It's a slightly sweeter, toned-down version of Orlik's 'Bull's Eye'.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Not much more to say than: this is the perfect VaPer all-day smoke. Grassy-hayish, slightly orange peel tasting flake tobacco. Lower-Medium N level. Recommended. 4 of 5 stars

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (34)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Standard vaper in my rotation. Nicely served flake, which brings the expected natural flavors. Examining the price performance ratio it is also an excellent choice.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Some people consider this a non-aromatic, but I'll have to disagree. However, it is not a heavily cased aromatic and the main flavor is of tobacco.

The tobacco has a toppint that's hard to miss and, to me, it does come through when smoking. The flavor reminds me a lot of Erinmore Flake, in fact I would think they use the same topping, but this particular blend uses a LOT LESS than Erinmore Flake. Let's just say it's a less aromatic version of EF with a lot more straightforward tobacco flavor and the toping, while present, remains in the background and as a little "extra something" to keep things interesting.

When I rub the flakes the flavor seems a little stronger and I experience some sort of tingle in my nose. I tried folding the flake and smoking it that way and I liked it but it seems somehow mellow.

This is the type of Virginia I like; sweet, citrusy, with the traditional straw/hay feel to it. I think this is the tastiest Virginia flake I have tried and noe one of my favorite smokes.

Those who say it tastes like cigarettes: I honestly don't know what to tell you. I don't think it tastes even close to cigarettes, and you'll know this if yuo have actually ever smoked a cigarette...

Excellent price for the quality too but still a bit pricey. I would buy a pound at a time if they offered it in bulk.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (44)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

It's high time I commented on yet another of my dessert island tobaccos. Like an old friend, Golden Sliced is always there as an excellent no nonsence day time smoke that I will never tire of. Typically Danish style virginias, lightly sweet and fragrant and surprisingly smooth for what it is. I will qualify that I do notice a subtle difference in flavour and smoking quality between the larger 100gm tin and the 50g square tin (slices). Don't know why, but I exclusively buy the 100g tin for this reason as the slices seem to be a little more grassy and burns a touch hotter. That said I highly recommend this as a day time smoke with a cup of tea.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

A straight forward Virginia/Burley flake that appears to be high quality leaf. Durning the initial light the smoke seems a bit sharp in the nostrils, but it seems to round out after awhile. I do not detect any orange, but a slight Lakeland essence in both tin and room note. I will enjoy this tin, but I doubt I will buy more.

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is based on the 100-gram tin that has been aged for 2 years. The idea of purchasing this blend is to see what a pure virginia will taste like. I ordered 5 tins and just left it on the shelf. Not until recently did I remember the ownership of this blend.

Upon opening the aged tin, you can smell the sweetness of the wonderful virginia, which I never encountered before. The flake is carefully "allocated" into the round tin (I prefer the 100-gram round tin to the 50-gram rectangular, because the former is air-tight) and shows the wonderful gold color, just as the name suggests. It packs well inside a group 5 bowl with no rubbing needed. I take some slice out of the tin, folded twice and pulled into the bowl, and the packing is done. The lighting is somewhat difficult but when it is lit, it never goes off. Perhaps I have this luck because I serve the weeed with a Cavicchi canadian.

The 2-yeard-old gold virginia shows some youth at the beginning, and 5 minutes later the spicy taste is gone, replaced by full and comfortable flux of nice tobacco. Thers is not much surprising change during the entire bowl, but you will know munites bufore reaching the end. Each time the bowl finished, it leaves a fine white ash. And you will feel it just did not last long enough for the enjoyment, although more than an hour has actually passed.

This virginia is second to none. Highly Recommended!

Thbg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thbg (29)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is about as straight-foward of a tobacco as you can get.

VA and burley...and I think there is more burley in this than a "touch" which probably accounts for the stronger nicotine strength of this blend. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

If there is a topping to this blend it is probably just a slight bit of "sugar".

I would recommend this to folks who like to smoke tobacco for the taste of tobacco. That being said I enjoy smoking it very much.

Jallen49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jallen49 (24)

I'm new to the world of virginia flakes, and the only previous experience i've had with Va flakes are SG's Full Virginia Flake.

Tin note is a grassy/hay smell and very (very) faint hints of citrus/fruit.

This stuff tastes really good. Its consistent, flavorful, and mildly sweet. As you progress through the bowl the sweetness fades and, as someone else mentioned, the faint fruit/citrus taste becomes slightly more apparent. Also, at about the half way mark, I begin to get a slight nutty note, which must be the burley peaking its head through the mix. Good burn all the way down to the finish for me.

This tobacco has a good consistent flavor, burns great, has a nice straight semi- sweet taste, and is just a good quality leaf. Little to no bite.

All in all i would definitely recommend this tobacco, especially to the new pipe smoker who is looking to venture into the world of Va flakes.

3.5/4 stars.

juvat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juvat (36)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Opening a tin your greeted with a nice and somewhat firm aroma of hay and alfalfa. In fact the first thing that popped into my head when the smell hit me was that of a horse stall and I have to admit I was a little put off by it...After letting the tin sit for 4 months the citrus is really starting to come out in the tin note.

This is good stuff. A wonderful straight up tobacco taste. This has become one of my all day, every day smokes.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The newly open tin gives off scents of berries and oranges. Eucalyptus-like coolness. These aromas seem like a mixture of artificial and natural flavors in the liberally applied casing - it is Danish after all. But it's light and pleasant. Tasty and natural aromas persist, orange juice, blackberry jam, Earl Grey tea, curing hay, lemon zest, molasses cookies, and sweet bright Virginia leaf.

Beautiful flakes rub out easily. Burns OK.

In the mouth the casing, while more than a little assertive, doesn't completely overpower the tangy-sweet flue-cured Virginia slightly muffled by the shot of Burley in the mix. Definitely some soapy moments (reminds me of Ennerdale Flake but not quite as perfumed). Not too hot, but not too cool either. Between the floral, sour notes of the topping and the sugary Virginia blend, the word that comes to mind is “muddled”. This tobacco is pleasant enough, but it doesn't seem to know what it's supposed to be. Later in the bowl, sometimes the floral undertones turn bitter and unpleasant.

This is a confusing review for me, reading the previous posts, I see that many have experienced the tobacco that I have. But many others have described a straight, natural Virginia / Burley blend. ( As does the label ). Maybe Orlik is using a different blender or something.

Surely something has changed. The stuff I'm smoking tastes unmistakably like rose soap. You can taste the tobacco, and it is pleasant, but there is no way anyone could mistake the stuff in my 50gm tin for a natural non-aromatic tobacco blend.

I think what we have here is a change of blender or a change in the recipe. I think we're all reviewing two different tobaccos. I'll try to find an example of the straight tobacco version, it sounds delicious.

Given my experience with this one tin, I can't, honestly, give it more than 2 Stars. Shrewd judges be damned.

PIE-EYED-PIPER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PIE-EYED-PIPER (20)

I usually smoke this flake using a “modified” fold and stuff method. After the initial step of folding it cross-wise, instead of folding the flake length-wise as one would in the standard fold and stuff method, I roll it and mush up the bottom of the roll. I also partially mush the [rolled] body of the flake forming sort of a square. This allows air to pass through the tobacco for easier burning. I insert the roll of tobacco into the chamber leaving a little more than 1/6 or 1/8 of an inch from the top. I then mush up the top of the flake to near ribbon consistency then insert the whole tobacco into the chamber. Breaking up the top of the flake to near ribbon consistency allows for easier lighting. Depending on the depth of the bowl, I sometimes take ½ or 1/3 of a flake and rub it to ribbon consistency and put it on top of the rolled flake. This will serve as tinder and will allow for even lighting and a cooler smoke (at least to this reviewer's personal experience).

This is one of my favorite VA flakes. It just has the right amount of flavor and strength to make it an all day, every day smoke. It's a deliciously mild VA flake with a slight hint of sweet nuttiness to it. I really enjoy this tobacco and consistently order it. For those who are just getting into VAs, this would be a great intro.

However, as with any Virginia, it must be smoked slowly to avoid tongue bites, and to get the best smoking experience.

This comes HIGHLY RECOMMENDED with 4 STARS!

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)

Just lit some up. First impressions:

Bite! This stuff burns REAL hot out of the tin, hotter than any VA I've tried yet. Seriously, upon lighting I really thought I was blistering my tongue. However, the flavor seems pretty delightful. Almost a halfway point between the mellowness of a red such as 5100 and the bright, slightly stronger Dunhill Flake, which is great to me, since I find the former a bit too mellow and the latter a bit too pungent(?). Produces more smoke than other VAs I've had; I like this. We'll see how it goes. I DEFINITELY need to dry it out some to try to get rid of that steam and bite though. Puff gently! I'm smoking out of a thick-walled pipe, and it's actually hot to hold. This will definitely move to my 14" churchwarden.

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (21)

I think flake tobacco is a lot of fun, and this is the first flake I tried. I much prefer it to Erinmore and Dunhill flakes. I pack this by rolling out a small piece for the bottom of the bowl and then folding a flake or two to pack the rest of the bowl. This insures an easy draw and cool smoking. The tin aroma is of sweet hay, which is also present in the flavor. There is also some mild citrus and a touch of nuttiness from the burley. This tobacco is long-burning and consistent in terms of flavor. I don't find that it changes character much throughout the bowl, which I can appreciate. I would not describe this as complex, just good and faithful. It's a very relaxing smoke--good when you have the time to sit back and enjoy a pipe without interruptions.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is just a good solid tobacco. It packs well, lights well, has enough N kick, is flavorful, doesn't bite ( can't push it), is priced right. Part of my rotation for my "N" fix. An all time all day tobacco. The End

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (57)

This flake have a light citric smell once you open the tin, but tastes just like a delicious Va with a little Burley content. Slow burning, medium flavor and cheap. Awesome

fiorano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fiorano (13)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

If you are new to Virginias this will surprise with the nicotine. It is slow burning and can bite. No need to relight and I rubbed out the flake in a pot stylee connoisseur pipe. It gurgled, but it was a new tin and the wrong pipe fir this. A hearty taste a vague currant flavor to this golden stuff. I haave mixed feelings so far it isn't unpleasant but for now I will share this with someone who might appriciate this more. I will store this for later but it is not for me.

Doctor Max Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doctor Max (23)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the Earl grey of pipe tobacco! Pouch aroma is a hay-like, sugary, clearly Virginia scent with a strong bergamot note. Packing and lighting is easy, however the weird long flake strips in the pouch version are a bit tricky to fold and stuff which, as mentioned in earlier reviews, is probably the best way to smoke this tobacco. This is a minor quibble however; the tobacco tastes lovely either way you stuff it! From first light to the heel, it delivers an almost exceedingly sweet smoke with a tea-like bitterness and a strong citrusy bergamot flavour. Room note is also sweet, however quite smoky; quite like incense actually. All in all a highly recommended Virginia flake.

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (72)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I put off trying this famous blend for quite awhile because I feared the casing would put it into erinmore territory.. what a surprize it was upon lighting to find such a natural and delicious if somewhat light tobacco flavor.. as others have stated the smell of the tin is nothing like the experience of the smoke. It is mainly virginia that comes through.. with a discreet hint of citrus and burley.. It smokes like a dream.. really a great flake to work with.. Now I will have to stock up and age some.

Revisiting... if there is perique it's very light. People are now calling this a va/per? I don't think so

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

Orlik Golden Sliced… One of my favorites.

Who said Virginias blends have too bite, this one sure doesn't. A very flavorful and user friendly blend.

Easy flake light up, followed by those wonderful slightly sweet Virginia flavors, and a room note of freasly cut alfalfa hay. It's all there, including a good price.

I try to avoid stronger tobacco blends, because they quickly destroy my ability to taste anything else, such as the delicate flavors found in this blend. This tobacco is not some flash in the pan, it's been around for some time now, and has a strong following, myself included. For what it is, a mild, sligtly toped, inoffensive blend of Virginia tobaccos, 4 stars. My personal rating of 4/5

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

The constituency of this blend seems to be very like Orlik's Rubbed-out Mild Honeydew. However, unlike that blend, this one is a good smoke. The tobacco seems to have been better married, or perhaps better aged, or perhaps the flake simply allows it to mellow and come together better. This tobacco comes in a little square tin, as wide, thinly sliced, dark flakes. Unlike a lot of flakes, though, Golden Sliced is at a very nice moisture level. The aroma in the tin is nicely sweet and slightly pungent. The charring light brings a good mix of the Virginia sweetness and the burley nuttiness. Once lit, the nuttiness seems a bit more in control of the taste, but there is a good level of sweetness underneath. Lighting the pipe is as easy as you could ask of a flake, taking just a couple of passes of flame for the char, followed by a tamp and then a couple of passes to light the pipe. It remains lit easily, providing for a pleasant, long smoke. One of my complaints about Rubbed-out Mild Honeydew was the heat/tongue bite I found in the blend. I didn't find that problem here. The Virginia is still there, reminding the smoker than over-puffing could lead to bite, but it never happens. Rather, the blend remains mellow and flavorful. The taste somehow reminds me of pretzels, without the saltiness, of course. The tobacco flavor doesn't vary a lot through the bowl. The flavor of the burley remains a good constant, adding that pretzel-nutty taste, but the sweetness and creamy taste of the Virginia is never lost. By the end of the bowl the burley's nicotine level makes itself known, especially to smokers not used to burleys. Golden Sliced is, in my opinion, a good smoke. This is a tobacco I'd absolutely recommend to smokers interested in expanding their horizons to include some burley, and also to Virginia smokers as a nice change. I think it's a blend I'll try to keep around.

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)

this comes to you in long sided flakes.Out of the tin it is grassy and mild, like hay on the fields. Easy to fold and stuff into your pipe. I used large medium and small bowls. Very easy work with. First light no further relights necessary. Easy to smoke. Tastes like a good va should, not too much of burley although it´s there, but it vanishes somewhere, which i don´t mind. Good amount of smoke, not too much nicotine. Exellent for starters, easy to use tobacco.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (39)

Update May 19 2011:

This tastes fuller and rounder than I remember it from bowls smoked ten years ago, and it is smoother, too. It is lightly cased, with a pleasant non- tobacco and tobacco tin aroma. It burns well, especially in a "dry but maleable" condition.

I do not taste any Perique, nor smell it in the tin. Certainly the grassy, hay and citrus side of Virginia and burley blends. I like it most rubbed up, packed a little lighter than normal for me. This shines in cobs and briar. I have not tried it in meerschaum or clay.

This did not change up flavors for me during the smoke, but stayed flavorful throughout, never bitter, sour or ashy. It is very friendly to my mouth. I think this is destined to be something of a classic smoke, perhaps a Prince Albert notched up a couple or three levels. Oh, it much reminds me of Dunhill's FLAKE with a slightly different top note. _______________________

I smoked this years ago and it was a bit light in flavor to satisfy what I was after. It was, however, a decent, quality tobacco of impeccable presentation. I have ordered more and will review once the tin is finished.

However, below was taken from the Villiger-Stokkebye website on 11/27/2010. Note that 'Perique' is included in the content description. Whether I will note its influence when smoking GS remains to be seen. My bet is that it will profile similarly to PS LNF.

"ORLIK GOLDEN SLICED Tobacco selection: Louisiana Perique adds zesty new life to the flavor of flue- ccured Virginia tobacco. Tobacco cut: Traditional flake slice cut. Tobacco Flavor/Aroma: This attractive, non-aromatic blend encompasses a delectable span of flavor intensities from mild to medium in strength."

Country Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Piper (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I am usually found smoking a good English/Balkan. I decided to try this as I had heard good things about it. I was pleased when I opened the tin and found a wonderful aroma and just the right moisture content. I loaded up one of my Bjarne's and was very satisfied with the results. This tobacco has a great room note. This stuff lights very easy and does well all the way to the end. I would suggest this to anyone who may not smoke many VA's. You wont be unhappy with this blend although I am now because I just ran out.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

Yea definitely a keeper this one. When I first opened the tin I could smell a citrusy kind of hay smell. It was also quite dry, just right to smoke.

Smoked cool and grassy. Is a very pleasant Burley/VA. As I say, one should always have a tin of this lying round.

It's cheap as chips for a premier blend as well, about £8 for 50gm in the UK.

Country Doc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Doc (20)

Enough has been written about this lovely smoke that I have little to add. I liked it so much I felt compelled to add another 4-star rating. I would like it even better if the flavor were stronger, but will roll with the 4 stars.

This is one I shall be shrewd enough to keep on hand.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Sweet and mildy tangy bright Virginias in beautiful light flakes with a touch of burley, noticeable enought to round up the taste of this great tobacco. I also love the small tin, which is very practical to carry around in your pocket.

No tongue bite, nice burning qualities, mild taste and subtle nuances for the contemplative Virginias smoker.

dieubussy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dieubussy (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This Golden Sliced brand started in 1958 under the name Red when Orlik Tobacco Company initiated producing tobacco in Denmark. I don't claim to have known that initial brand although the recipe is said to have been kept intact up until now.

Regardless of that, I am by definition an admirer of all Orlik flake tobaccos due to their consistency and their noticeable - though not overwhelming - tastes. This variety is best bought in round 100g tins where the tobacco comes in a beautifully curled form with a flake that is several centimeters long and easy to cut accordingly. This tobacco is something precious, its light brown color complemented by the freshness of its natural scent.

In the bowl, it's easy to detect is citrus essence. While the small burley details give it a delightfully sweet charisma, the Virginia is predominant in the blend: sometimes the VA is so light within the flake composition it enables the tobacco to burn very well if a little faster than other known VA Flakes (perhaps faster than Full Virginia Flake).

Even the smoker who does not enjoy the taste of Virginia tobacco will have to agree as to the shrewdness of the blender who, sixty years ago, brought us this treat: fortunately I hold that leaf in high regard so not only I can vouch for the quality of this tobacco as I take great pleasure from it. Rarely will the pipe smoker find a tobacco more honest than this. There is a great purity to it, something which leads up to some of the most enjoyable moments I've ever had with a briar in hand.

(http://thedailypuffer.tumblr.com/)

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (52)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I want to judge...who am I kidding? I love to judge! But at the same time I want to be a shrewd judge! unfortunately I'm just a shrewEd housewife who happens to love smoking pipe and VAPERs. Now, lose the "PER" with this one, you get a "VA" here which simply shines through if you happen to catch the right amount of humidity... Though you either won't be judged or get humiliated if you can't at first try. And yeah right, smells like hay but tastes much better ;)

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (60)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I didn't know what to expect with this tobacco. I love flakes and I love Virginia's, so I thought, why the hell not.

I guess I was expecting something like Erinmore Flake. I would have been happy if it was just as good as that, but it's much, much better.

The tin note is awesome. Just pure tobacco in there. Sweet and inviting. Very handsome flakes, perfect moisture level. Lights easy and stays lit, providing a long, cool smoke. No bite, no gurgle.

The taste for me is absolutely spot on. How I went this long without trying this stuff is beyond me. I shall mourn those wasted years.

It's pretty one dimensional, but that's okay. The base flavors it offers more than make up for it. Sweet, fresh and simply glorious.

Highly recommended for VA lovers like myself.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (60)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

After 17 years from when I first tried this blend, I must re-assess this tobacco.

It's a basic Virginia. The label says it has perique, but I don't detect it....I could be wrong.

One and a half flakes will fill a moderate bowl. I let it dry some before I rubbed it out and packed it. Tin aroma is raisin and hay. Lights and burns nice. On the mellow side of flavor with no tongue bite, even if you.....I puff hard.

I can not give 4 stars as this may not be the blend for everyone......But I did. It is not as complex as the G L Pease Sixpence and far from complex as Royal Yacht, but it is a solid blend with some sweetness and toasty characters. If you however really enjoy Va based and straight Va tobaccos, then I give it 4 stars.

The other aspect I enjoy about this flake is the price. Much lower than many other Va flakes. A true bargain.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I am happy I finally ordered some Orlik Golden Slice as I find it a delightfully refreshing Virginia blend. The presentation was two rows of neatly stacked flakes, a mix of medium brown and golden blonde, and the tin aroma was sweet lemon and a bit of mild tea essence (I waffled between tea and perfumy and decided it more tea-like). Moisture content of the flakes just perfect, making for ease in removing and folding for smoking. I smoked this fresh from the tin. The tin aroma translated into the taste throughout the entire bowl. Only a slight bit of moisture at times that I attributed to its freshness. It lit without a problem and required very few re-lights. There was a spicy-sweet taste upon lighting, remaining throughout. My tin label says Virginia and a touch of Burley, adding a minimal amount of body not normally present in Virginia tobaccos. I honestly could not detect the presence of Perique as described on the Peter Stokebye website and as commented on by several of the reviewers - for me, a good thing as I don't care much for Perique (my recently purchased tins list Burley and not Perique on the rear label). The spicy taste was typically Virginia in character but not overdone. Not cigarette-like or ashy at all. Burning down to a nice whitish/light gray ash. Burns quickly but without any bite whatsoever, and never bitter.

All in all, I enjoyed this Virginia blend and it will enter into my Virginia line-up. In spite of the sweet casing, I tasted good quality sweet Virginia throughout. It is a high quality smoke and comes in at a fantastic price when compared to other Virginia flakes sold in 50g quantity. This is one of my top favorite Virginia flakes. A while after opening a tin of GS, the flakes take on a darker color along with an increased depth of flavor and very delicious. I give it 4 stars.

UPDATE 8-23-10: Gets better and better with aging. And really drying this out near crunchy I find the taste profile is superior. I would suggest this to anyone wanting to try a Virginia for the first time. With slow puffing (and not because of any bite whatsoever) you are rewarded with an increasingly sweet Virginia flavor and a matching side-stream aroma of sweet character. Said to have been the late, great Peter Stokkebye's favorite tobacco blend.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)

My tins of this have been of the round twist top variety and the moisture content on popping the seal has been high. In my experience, if you don't let this stuff air for a good long while it will feel like you've just fed your tongue through a shredder and let the pieces fall into a bucket of napalm and piranhas.

The citrus flavours are much stronger (and a bit artificial) when the tin is just opened, slightly too much for my palette. After about a month things calmed down nicely and you're left with a fresh, bright and natural orangey flavour with some underlying oaty nuttiness. Very tasty.

I really like this tobacco but I'm struggling to find much more to say about it. It crumbles and packs very easily and burns beautifully to soft white ash with little effort and no relights. It does leave a bit of sticky residue like the other orlik offering I've tried. It's verging on being four star stuff but it's not quite remarkable enough. Hey ho...it's really good, I enjoy it and I'll keep some around but I wouldn't cry if I couldn't get any more.

As an aside...the colour of my tobacco is much lighter than that shown in the photo above. Also, it is presented in one, long, 3" wide strip folded several times to fit into the tin.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Naturally Sweet and Nutty flavours! fantastic tobacco. Rather on the dry side as i opened a fairly new pouch, which makes any drying time redundant.

Just outstanding! For me it's in the same league as Solani's Silver Flake.

When you're a fan of natural tobaccos this is a must try.

It burns effortless and burns down cool...gotto love the flakes!!!

It could become my new allday smoke...oh wait...it already is ;)

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (94)

I received a sampler of GS from our fellow Clarkus that I thank. I can confirm that the good reputation that GS has conquered here in TR is absolutely deserved, it's a tobacco with natural sweetness and a very pleasant citrus note, the pinch of Burley gives its contribute for a refreshing smoke. Good recipe.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

OUTSTANDING !!!No Surprise Ingredients...Bright+Some Lemon Grade Virginia's \\\Any size pipe,Anytime,Anywhere.....room note"Very Nice"+++++My only complaint is.....I Smoke WAY-TOO-MUCH ! VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!!!!

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I have been an ardent burley smoker for years staying clear of VA's because of the bite factor and general mildness in flavor. I appears I had been wrong all those now wasted years.

I put my pipes down for about a month because it was just too cold outside or in the garage. The weather warmed and I headed to a small tobacco shop up the street for something different to put in my baby fresh mouth and picked up a tin of OGS, I suppose because the tin caught my attention.

I'm now in my fourth tin in as many weeks. My taste was cleared of heavy tobacco and ready to accept this nearly straight VA.

The tin smell was of new hay and nothing else that I could detect and with some difficulty in quitting the sniffing, I rubbed the flake, filled a favorite pipe that hadn't been overly subjected to latakia and lit up. There will be pipes dedicated to VA's now.

I was taken to tobacco heaven. I found the taste to be full but not strong. The VA was light and delicate with the small amount of burley providing the bass notes necessary to give that full mouth feeling. For me, it was like drinking tea after years of coffee. There was as much flavor (aroma in the case of tea)yet it was different,cleaner, more ethereal perhaps.

Many of the reviews noted different flavors and toppings. I didn't get any of these. I can see where citrus was perceived but I believe it is a characteristic of the tobaccos, not an additive as is the sweetness that may remind some of honey. It has a sweetness not unlike honey's sweetness but it doesn't have a honey flavor. I saw licorice mentioned and I didn't detect this at all. Perhaps licorice has a shared characteristic with tobacco. Sir Walter Raleigh has licorice; I don't believe OGS does.

Perique? Not a chance.

Cigarette flavor. Were that true, I would have never given up cigarettes. What it does have in common with cigarettes is a pure tobacco taste. Cigarettes, however, are not made from quality tobacco and have an acrid quality - save some RYO.

I am drawn to this tobacco for it's true tobacco flavor, it's natural sweetness and importantly to it's burn quality.

I believe the room note to be wonderful because I love the smell of tobacco. My wife would likely think it stinks.

This is a quality tobacco undisturbed by a tobacconists tinkering, with a lightness to be appreciated as often as possible. I love this tobacco.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Now this is a flake i love to smoke. It is so well behaved and delicious. I love the tin art and aroma from the tin. I think it offers great value for money and is of very good quality.

The taste is a very fresh virginia, slight citrus and never cloying or overbearing.

Mo, South Africa

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (51)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The word for this blend is amiable. Some smokers whom I know may deride it for lacking complexity and depth, but I find it flavorful and relaxing - a perfect go-to blend that can easily morph into my all day smoke. The Virginia and its burley sidekick work together perfectly. I like the quality of tobacco employed in this popular blend. The barely noticeable hint of honey complements the sweetness and tanginess of the Virginia and the sturdiness of the burley. It's the easiest flake to fill among all the ones I have. Quite simply, it delivers the goods - and the taste - that I expect from an in-rotation blend.

Update: I should mention that this flake is not an N bomb, so others may find it lacking; for me it's just perfect. Also, try to give it some time in the tin and then in the jar, before smoking, as always with virginias.

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Now this is classic tobacco! I remember my father smoking this by the pound back in the 70's - oh the sweet Virginia notes that hung around the house. Memories memories..

Out of the tin this is one to put a smile on your face. Overwhelming sugary golden VA's - no doubt about it! There's a touch of burley in there, but I guess it's just to up the smoking ability, so probably no more than 5-10% That warm summer smell of countryside haystacks, and that fresh lemon-like smell natural Virginias have (the good ones anyway).

The taste is classic too. Instantly you recognise this to be very high quality tobacco- And you know, how I described the tin-aroma, is just about what you get smoking it too. In the ranks of pure golden VA's, I don't think there ever was any competition to this blend.

Rate 7/10

Walkman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Walkman (5)

Orlik Golden Sliced is one of my favorite tobaccos, especially during warm weather. It offers natural Virginia tobacco flavor with a wonderful light citrus sweetness. OGS doesn't bite, requires few re-lights, and provides a nice volume of smoke. The round 100g tin re-seals best. Highly recommended!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Tried this on more than one occasion and just can't seem to get past the taste. True, if you really nurse it with lots of extra TLC you'll draw some nice flavors and Virginia sweetness out of it. It doesn't bite and it produces copious white smoke which is fun. But this one requires such a gentle touch that it's difficult to get anything except a very ashy cigarette flavor. I don't like the taste of cigarette ashes, therefore I don't like the taste of this stuff. Also, even with the gentlest sipping the briar heated up to an unacceptable level. Seems to me there are other VAs out there that are so much better, but I am willing to age this stuff for a while and give it every possible chance to redeem itself. With all the rave reviews here, and my own personal experience with the dramatic difference aging can make, I'm hoping I'll learn to eventually like this stuff. I want to...just can't right now...

ian0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ian0077 (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I think that if you like a tobacco with no overwhelming flavours, this is right up your street. I have always found this a very pleasant smoke indeed, very relaxing. If you have always wanted to try virginia, this would be a very good start for you. This is what i consider a very good virginia smoke, if you then want a more full flavour later, you must try the best, samuel gawiths full virginia flake. Enjoy your pipe whatever you feel is right for yourself, enjoy.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (187)

I have taken advantage of a short holiday in Amalfi to study three products:

- Orlik Golden Sliced

- Condor Long Cut

- McBs HH Vintage Syrian

Here my impressions about the first one.

I got one 50grms pouch in the stock coming from Haejenius in Amsterdam. OGS is not imported in Italy like all the tobaccos branded by Orlik (while others, manufactured by, are).

OGS comes in a single long strip having quite the same width of the pouch. The colour of this flake is mixed but mainly bright. The pouch aroma is hay and tea, very natural, I cannot detect superimposed aromas. The humidity is on the low side, this may depend on the kind of packing, but again if any casing agent is used, it's done sparingly.

A Savinelli Professor (6mm balsa filter removed) no. 122 pot is the axe I'm just piping for this review, she has been used in Va's contests only. I have partially rubbed out the tobacco and left airing for a hour or so.

No problems in lighting, no problems of maintenance too.

The smoke aroma is what a mild-to-medium Va is supposed to deliver, no high or lows, something reliable (compact?) and even smokable while doing else. A truly natural sugarish (brown) smoke, with hints of caramel and a faint pepperiness, also through the nose. The smoke is not prone to bite, nor to moisten the stem. Being a Virginia, OGS needs all the cautions to avoid the bowl heating much. From mid-bowl to the end the strength does not develop further the medium side, the body remains mild-to-medium. A curious citrusy note make appearance and keeps things interesting. Also, some rare puffs of fig-like aromas during the last third of the bowl. The last third of the bowl is the most rewarding, the smoke is mellow and even nutty.

OGS is nothing to drive crazy, but a honestly-priced Va flake of the like I do miss. The only comparison coming to my mind is with Capstan Mild (also unavailable in Italy), maybe with Old Gowrie (both them I shall review soon).

Recommended.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (41)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This is another nice blend, but in no way can it compare itself to straight Virginians such as Dunhill Lt. F, Xmas Cheer, S.Gawith. FVF or BBF and others not yet mentioned herein. It?s not its casing nor its topping, but its varietals. It stands closer to Mac Baren?s Virginian Flake and Navy Flake than a straight Virginian. It doesn?t bite, and produces a mountain of white sweet smoke and is of mild to medium strength. I think it could be pleasant in the summer heat.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (37)

When I first opened the tin I was greated with a nice, natural grassy smell from the tobacco. No casing or topping of any sort was present, at least from my nose. The flakes seemed just a bit more moist that I'd like but I think if it comes to aging the tin a bit this can be an advantage.

I've tried smoking the flakes both rubbed out, folded and stuffed into a pipe and cut into thirds with a cigar cutter length wise and then rubbed out. In any of those cases I was rewarded with a wonderful smoke. There was just a hint of tongue bite but that was only when I first opened the tin and the flakes were still a bit moist. After a few weeks of the tin being opened and having them dry out a bit the only tongue bite comes from serious puffing to heat up your pipe.

Once match was put to tobacco I knew this would be a good smoke. Nothing but pure virginia bliss. My senses were greeted with a nice citrusy, sweet and grassy taste (in that order of strength). It is a one note song but certainly one I don't mind hearing for quite some time. This really is a high quality tobacco that would be a good stepping off point for aromatic smokers looking to get into virginias or even veteran smokers looking to deepen their appreciation for good virginias.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Very good tin aroma. I have found that this smokes equally well rubbed out or smoked as a full flake. Very mild in taste and strength with a light, pleasant room note. for this reason I'm using it to break in my new "Virginia tobacco only" pipe.

=12Nov2008 Update=

I have to drop this a star. I finished that tin and every subsequent tin has been disappointing. The taste is just too bland.

=24Apr2014 Update=

Boy how times and tastes change. This is now one of my everyday smokes. It takes a while to notice the subtle nuances in this blend. I love it now!!!

Papillon6 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papillon6 (24)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

If you like a natural tasting virginia then this is for you. I started puffing with this blend. It tastes like a light Virginia with a hint of sweetness. It is navy sliced(which means it is compressed in a stack then sliced into sheets. It needs to be broken up fully and 'fluffed' up by hand or for me I shake it in a container to fluff it up. It is a fine tobacco that is well worth the money and is easy to throw in the pocket. It's forgiving to newbies(like people coming from cigarettes who want a natural taste). It has a mild nicotine content that goes with the mild flavour. It's not unsatisfying however and you will probably want to buy more then one tin at a time. Each 'sheet' is about one pipe full when rubbed out. It stays fresh for a long time after opening and does get a little better with age but even a new tin will reward you with a nice long natural smoke. It never gives me tonque bite or a gurgling pipe. It can be packed in any way in any pipe with similar effects. A great first buy if you want a natural tasting Virginia that isn't boring.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (77)

Generally speaking, I'm not a huge fan of golden virginias. This blend has to be the exception. Beautiful golden slices that can be folded and stuffed, right out of the can with minimal bite. It is sweet, but sweet like natural virginia with very little topping. Definitely a new favorite for me....

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A Virginia plug smoker for 46+ years, I have been surprised at this nicely done flake. Introduced in 1965 this is one of the few flake tobaccos that has immense pure tobacco taste and aroma. Very little if any top note at all...and there is no Perique in this flake nor has there ever been.

While I'm not a big fan of Danish type tobaccos, I do find this one to my liking. An all day smoke, I particularly like this in the morning with hot tea or coffee and in a somewhat larger pipe; group 4 and higher.

I don't rub this out as much as some flakes and I find keeping it reasonably moist keeps the burn steady and slow.

Definitely worth a try and price-wise it is a good bargin. Decent quality leaf, processed well, and aged appropriately, make this a good choice for an experienced or novice pipe smoker.

...a pipe is to be savored.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The shrewd judge is either excessively fond of his wig or in contempt of his own court!

The flakes are a visual delight:almost as long as Golden Long Flake, and a nice mixture of dark browns and yellows. The tin aroma is fresh and inviting, with the slightest citric note. There is no need to rub out the flake - just folding over and stuffing into the pipe sufices and provides a reasonably flavourful, cool and long-lasting smoke. Golden Sliced bears more than a passing likeness to Stokkebye virginia flakes. The latter are, in my opinion, somewhat better. There is a slight dustiness to the flavour of Golden Sliced, which keeps me from giving it four stars. Still, there is a reasonable level of nicotine and the overall experience is satisfactory, though not outstanding.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

A sweetened virgina flake with a touch of burley, so says the tin. It is similar to Mac Baren Virginia #1 but a few notches lower in the flame throwing effect; still a ripe virginia that requires slow puffing. It has a moderate honey like sweet aroma with an undertone of spice like cinnamon augmenting a backbone of bright, yellowy virginia leaf. About as pleasant as can be aside from the typical virginia heat. All in all, a wonderful tobacco that may become a mainstay.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Not a bad product, but not a great one either.. There is something hayish in taste with the Virginias which drops the natural taste and strength of the tobacco down.. A decent / mild / no-bite / all-day smoke though..

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is very nice. No bite, a little sweet,nice flavor. If this was the only stuff you could get. I'd still be a pipe smoker.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good straight Virginia flake, as many others have said. I would not hesitate to smoke this again, but it is not quite good enough to make the regular rotation. This seems like a 3/4 Old Gowrie. 3/4 in flavor, in strength and in general smoking pleasure.

gho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gho (9)

I bought a pouch out of curiosity. Opening it full of anticipation I found the flakes bone dry. Without wasting a thought on rehydrating, I crumbled a bit off, stuffed it into a cob and gave fire. Sweet. A flavor of honey and caramel develops throughout the clean burning bowl in a nice interplay with the virginia. Mellow and candylike. I am wondering how it would taste with a tamed down topping and a pinch of perique added. Recommended.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

I don't normally smoke straight virginias, as I find a lot of them have to be nursed along carefully to avoid the bite one normally associates with them. This one surprised me. I decided to try the golden slices because I love the Dark Kentucky Flake so much. I'm glad I did.

The tin had a strange fruity aroma upon opening, so I closed it and put it away for a week before trying to smoke it. After a week the tobacco had a fresh sweet smell, kind of like sweet grass. I smoke this in flake form rather than rubbing it out, and this seems to work best. Rubbing it out was a much hotter smoke than just folding the flake and stuffing it in the pipe.

The taste is wonderfully fresh. It's a clean crisp taste; just a hint of spice on the tongue due to the sugars, but no real bite; not a lot of nicotine. The room note is also very pleasant. This is a very clean burning flake, kind of like a tobacco version of 7-up (remember the "crisp and clean, no caffiene"?)

To anyone wishing to try this, I recommend not rubbing it out. I tried once, and it smoked really hot. Fold the flake and stuff it in the pipe. You will need a few relights occasionally, but you will be rewarded with a cool, delicate, and gently sweet smoke. This is the one straight virginia that I plan to keep in my regular rotation. And did I mention that it's cheap-six and a half bucks for a 50g tin (that was at Diebels on the Kansas City Plaza, so surely cheaper elsewhere).

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)

Upon opening of the tin it smells exactly like a dark rye bread. The flakes are really nicely cut and regular with darker and lighter leaves intermingled. Rubbing it out is almost too easy. I just fold a flake and roll it into a ball and then it decomposes into a really nice almost shag-like state. It's a matter of seconds. It takes to the light easily and burns smoothly all the way down with no need to relight. In my meerschaum it burns a little hot when stressed but no particular tongue bite. It has a very nice raisiny or figgy flavour which concentrates towards the end of the bowl. It leaves a nice grey-white ash and no moist. A very well-behaved and I would say, typical Virginia flake which you should try if you are bent that way.

Update: upon visiting the Stokkebye website (http://pstokkebye.com/) I sought out the OGS section to find this; Tobacco selection: Louisiana Perique adds zesty new life to the flavor of flue-ccured Virginia tobacco.

Perique? I have so far only smoked the Premier Cru which sports a green-peppery flavour which I have been told is the Perique contribution. I can not for the life of me spot any of that in OGS? But on the other hand, I have read people stating that Perique "rounds off" the taste of Virginia in VA-Per mixtures so it might just be my inexperience of the said baccy...

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

An excellent Virginia flake, but one that needs to be smoked with care to fully appreciate it (There are few VA's you cant say that about I think). The tin aroma is sweet, tobaccoey, slightly like apricots, a characteristic of several VA tobaccos I enjoy.

Rub it out, but not too much, unless you are smoking it outdoors on a windy day. The flavour will be fullest when rubbed, and it stays lit more easily. It lights up with no trouble, and from here on it must be smoked really slow,keep it cool, but keep it lit, very small puffs more often are better than the occaisional large puff. Breath smoking is ideal- the flavour is fullest, sweet, like caramel or fudge. Very natural sweetness though, it is by no means sickly sweet. The flavour (and strength) grow toward the bottom of the bowl, and it will smoke right to the end leaving little dottle. Keep it cool if you want to do this.

Recomended to all Virginia lovers.

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

This isn't, in my view, a tobacco to be approached carelessly. If you rub out the flakes it tends to be very hot and can bite. Simply folding and stuffing a flake into the bowl gives better results, but it tends to be bland. The flavour might be lost in a pipe used previously for a latakia mixture. I have some straight virginia for blending and this reminds me of that. Dare I say it, it is even how Erinmore flake might taste without the topping. Try it by all means, but there are many other tobaccos that reward you more, and without having to look so hard for the reward! The flakes are not too moist straight from the tin, and smell delicious. After this though, the experience goes downhill. If you are looking for a tasty virginia flake go for Dunhill's Light Flake or Peterson's University Flake instead.

Edited 17 Nov 05: This has grown on me with more exposure. Whilst it it hotter, there is a flavour that only appears when rubbed out. This is a soapy taste, almost a mild version of the 'floral' flavour of a Lakeland flake, but very much less pronounced. A rubbed out bowl will reveal this flavour after lighting, and then it recedes and a caramel-like flavour predominates. At the very end of the bowl the floral flavour returns for two or three puffs. If smoked when rubbed out it must be respected - little wispy sips of smoke; the 'breathe' method being just right. Exhaling through the nose is a joy with Golden Sliced. I still think it needs to be smoked in a pipe uncontaminated with non-Virginias, and a little old meerschaum of mine is getting new attention with these slices.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (51)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Initially, I was not sure what to think of this. The first couple of times I tried it I found it to be, as some others have said, rather tasteless. The key to success with this VA tobacco, I believe, is to smoke it in a small pipe. It works well in a cheap cob or a small briar and should be your first smoke on that day. When used in this manner, you will be rewarded with a light, sweet, natural VA taste that will have you putting this into your regular rotation. If you exclusively smoke English Mixtures, or if your tastes tend toward darker or scented VA flakes, you will probably not find this tobacco to be very satisfying. If you appreciate lighter VA's, however, you may want to give this a try. It is ready to smoke from the tin and does not need drying out. It burns slowly, yet stays lit fairly well. My biggest complaint is that it is so good that I tend to smoke it too fast and overheat the pipe. Highly recommended.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

To my palate and smoked months apart, this tobacco is very similar to but not as good as Reiner Long Golden Flake. (See that review). Some say OGS has a soapy taste. I never encountered it.

I rate this tobacco 7.5 out of 10

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this in my least forgiving pipe. Tore off a 2 inch length of flake, folded twice and stuffed it in the bowl. Lit quickly with little fuss. One light tamp and minimal flame and off to the races. Lightest, smoothest flake ever. Light bite-free moderately sweet Virginnia-Burley flavor. I would not hesitate to inhale this tobac except I don't inhale on purpose. Probably too light a smoke for you Navy Flake lovers but a good change of pace. Would make a good introduction to flake-type tobacs. I think this would make a great all-day smoke. It burned clean, a long time, and very little heating of the bowl. Zero tongue-bite. The only downside to this tobac is the relative monochromatic character. This is true of most flakes in my experience. Highly recommended!

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

This tobacco has a soapy/flowery/perfumy smell in the tin. Bergamot? But then I remember that freshly opened packs of cigarettes have a similar smell, so you might never say... The bergamot impression is reduced after a few days of opening. It also reminds me of tea. Think of a St Bruno (and also a bit of Erinmore) kind of flavoring but much much lighter. This flavoring isn't obtrusive or too evident in the smoke, but it still doesn't make me rave about it.

The flakes unrub very well and the taste is citrusy/grassy, with not too much sweetness, and some slight smokiness. Rather mild, IMHO. It burns very well, with almost no wetness, at a steady slow pace with little need for relights, and gets more complex towards the bottom

For me it's not a memorable tobacco: not bad, but way too mild and I don't appreciate much the grassy notes. I suspect that if you like Dunhill's Light Flake, you could easily like this one, too. When dried, the flavor intensifies, amplifying the grassy notes.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (40)

I am re-writing this review 12 years after my original. I have been smoking this blend for 12 years, so far, and I never tire of it's company. The intitial flavor is a light fruity taste with a fuller wood-like body. As the bowl progresses, the subtle sweetness sits at the top of a creamy tobacco flavor. It burns clean and dry to a fine gray powdery ash. One needs to smoke it slow as it can bite and taste harsh if overpuffed.

Pipe Used: Many briars, meers and cobs

Age When Smoked: Eight years

Similar Blends: Mac Baren Virginia Flake, Capstan Yellow.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I happened into a tin of said flake via a friend(Thanks!). Upon opening the rather quaint little red box, I was struck by the similarity of the contents to Caledonian 499. The cut and color of the tobacco is damn near identical. The taste...decidedly different. My sample was on the dry side, I have no idea of its age. Flakes rubbed out easily and I utilised this opportunity to break in a small Bjarne. Golden Sliced is quite tasty, albeit mild and will snap at you if a 'slow n steady' cadence is not employed. I found that several bowls had been consumed before I picked up the timid sweetness contained herein. One might say this blend is retiscient to blossom and requires gentle but determined encouragement. All considered, it smokes better in a taller pipe than a squat one and I will find a few more tins for the humidor. 07/04--My local has begun to carry this in bulk, which I find has a sweeter jar aroma but is very similar in flavor. Buy it, jar it, enjoy.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have just tried this blend.

Beautiful tobacco. I've read various descriptions of this tobacco over the years that has mentioned perique and burley - but on this particular tin it only says virginia.

This blend can be provoked to bite. I prefer to roll up part of a flake and put it in the bowl and then top the rolled piece with some finely rubbed out "shavings" just to get it all going.

What I love about this blend is the taste. This is a refreshing tobacco to me and has that "woody" virginia flavor that I so enjoy.

I smoke this in smaller bowled pipes and while I couldn't smoke it all day (it would end up biting my tongue off, I do very much appreciate this for what it is. Sublime!

This is another foray into the virginia lanscape by this latakia addict and I have to say that once again, I have been pleasantly surprised. Upon opening the small tin, you are greeted by golden to medium brown flakes. They rub out easily, are at the perfect moisture for my taste, and pack easily. Lighting is two lights max and the burn is slow, leaving a grey fine ash when its all over. Taste is the surprise. It starts a little tart and sweet but mellows about mid-bowl to a pleasant straight -forward tobacco flavor. Toward the end is where this blend shines. You get a sweet, nutty finish that has you thinking about another bowl. The nicotine content is fairly low which is good for my sensitivity to it. Overall, this is a good, medium strength, all-day virginia that is perfect to cross-over if you are a latakia freak as I am..... enjoy.

Stogie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stogie (26)

Thanks to a timely trade on ASP, I gained a tin of this age old favorite dated 1998. I would not likely have purchased this tobacco on my own due to my lack of appreciation for Burley. I'm glad I took this in trade, and will likely puchase more.

Visual: Nothing terribly noteworthy about the appearance of this flake tobacco. Chestnut brown with a few gold streaks through it. These flakes were a little thicker than I am used to, but I liked that.

Texture: The flakes were coated with a dusting of sugar crystals, and had to be pulled apart. Once in hand for rubbing, thay had a very leathery feel, and resisted the first fold before rubbing out nicely into a pile of short strings.

Pack/Pipe: I packed this just a little firmer than my usual flake technique, meaning just a bit over gravity fed. Although I smoked this tin in my entire VA pipe rotation, it really took to a pair of Nording freehands, and a conical bowled Von Erck. It was still enjoyable in a half dozen Ashton xx pots & apples, but seemed to like taller bowls better.

Lighting/Burn: When fresh, this occasionaly took three matches to get rolling well, but once the tin had been open for a couple of weeks, the lighting was typical - One match to char, and one to get almost all the way to the bottom. I usually needed one final match to smoke the last 1/8th of the bowl. Nice slow burn, with temperatures remaining high throughout the bowl.

1st 3rd: After lighting, there was a little bit of bitterness to get through, but after the first 2 mintes, we are underway with a suprisingly tangy and flavorful smoke. I guess I wasn't expecting so much VA tang with a heavy Burley content, and was pleasantly surprised.

2nd 3rd: Heat reached it's highest levels here. not so much on the tongue as it was bowl heat. The flavor is fairly consistent with the tang just slightly muted and the Burley coming through strong. Great amounts of smoke with this blend.

Final 3rd: Tang is still there, and the smoke has cooled a bit. Still lots of white/blue smoke rolling off the bowl, and plenty in the mouth. This blend seldom became unpleasant at the bottom which is a big plus in my book. Leaves a fine white ash that packs down firmly in the bottom of the bowl.

Notes: Considering I had already presumed Golden Sliced to be a mediocre smoke, with taste most resembling a cigarette.I was pleasantly surprised. As a matter of fact, the last flake was the best. I usually am ready to move on by the end of the tin, but this one left me wanting more. Considering this tin was 5 years old when I opened it, I better pick some up for 2008!

Stogie rating: 8 Pristine Punch

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I do not disagree with the esteemed Tantric, except to say that the added Burley makes this a dull smoke for me. Yes, nothing objectionable, and quite easy for simple country folk to enjoy, but nothing whatever memorable about this.