The Orlik Dark Kentucky is a contrasting blend of Mature Virginia tobaccos, supplemented with dark- fired Kentucky tobacco, which is then pressed and cut into flakes. Full-bodied non-aromatic.

BrandOrlik Tobacco Company A/S
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
Packaging50g Pouch, 50g Tin, 100g Tin
Strength
Taste

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

On a road trip to Denmark, in the hope to lay my hands on a few blends not being offered where I live, I was disappointed by finding that even in specialised pipe/wine stores, the HH line by MacBaren is not available. Especially the HH Dark Fired, which I had hoped to finally get my dirty paws on. Still, there were a few things never seen in Germany, such as this blend. Dark Kentucky, in the absence of HH Dark Fired? For me, bit of a must-buy, so I did.

The tin says "not for the beginner." No problem there. The only package size I saw in several cities and several tobacco stores in each was the 100g tin; opening that I was rather surprised by the sweet and fruit-essence tin note. Even more surprised was I after removing the liner, looking at three neat stacks of tiny, almost square flake slices, all showing a three-layer cake of dark tobacco on the outsides and a bright band in the middle, each band being of equal width.

The slices are perfect to stuff and light from the fresh tin; a bit too brittle to properly fold I rub them out. In a small pipe, lighting is OK if not exactly easy, and the smoke starts out sweet with some spice, as I would have expected. It has some notes of chocolate and cocoa in there, black pepper and, incongruously, Darjeeling tea and liquorice. The room note is not exactly brilliant, but for something with this much KY in it, er, it is. Pretty good, really, if you give it some room to work its magic: in confined spaces, the room note may be too strong. A little hint of liquorice lingers on in the room long after the pipe has been smoked.

The taste gains spice and depth throughout the smoke, and there is little left in my pipe once done; a few grains of dottle, otherwise a mottled ash is all. I'm still experimenting with drinks to go along, but a good Espresso seems to work just fine, as does an Irish Cream Liqueur on ice.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

First-rate fire-cured Kentucky burley, baptised with a little Virginia to keep it from being wholly back-roads wild. Robust, plain, clean and honest.

VERY nice.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my favorite blends which I greatly miss. It came in medium wide strips that were very easy to rub out or fold and stuff depending on your preference. I tried it both ways and noticed no flavor difference. There's some natural sweetness that compliments the deep Kentucky taste, but I would not label this a sweet tobacco, per se'. It does have a little nuttiness, but as I indicated earlier, the Kentucky taste is what you'd have bought this for. I wish Orlik would make it again and use the original formulation.

Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong is a great substitute, but I thought it not quite as complex as this blend, though it looks exactly the same. I doubt I'd have noticed much difference at all, except that I taste tested back in the day (and still can, since I have a nice stash of both tobaccos). This blend was just a tad more complex, slightly nuttier, and very barely sweeter than the Heinrichs' mixture, but I'd hate to hang on the difference. If you liked Dark Kentucky - find an old tin and pay extra if you have to - and smoke it. You'll never be sorry that you did. If you can't find it, the Heinrichs offering will be to your liking.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Just finished a 3.5 oz tin from 2002, so consideration must be given to its age when reading this review. On the other hand, I didn't notice this tasting much if at all different from my tin of Peter Heinrichs blend of similar name.

Both were dark colored flakes with a deep, rich aroma and fairly moist in the tin. I dried this out slightly, but not as much as most flakes. The flavor was also deep and rich but interestingly enough, not strong. The flavors were of various spices and nuts, with a nice dark molasses background. It was lightly sweet but leaned heavily toward the spicy side. No problems keeping it lit and it wasn't overly heavy on the nicotine. As for strenth, don't let the "Kentucky" fool you. This is not a robust-tasting tobacco as some are that have a high concentration of kentucky leaf. Some casing appears to have been added but it was not intrusive.

This is not readily available in this country but don't despair -the above mentioned PH blend is, and I doubt I could tell the difference in a blind taste test.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (23)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Assuming that we're talking about Dark Kentucky Flakes here (?) I've been a little put off by other descriptions of the typical Kentucky pepperiness (?) I got round to trying it as it was quite well discounted by one of our tobacco specialists here (UK) Quite simply, it's the taste that I've always dreamed of finding, but haven't ...... until now that is. Sweet molasses sort of taste, with just a slight spicy edge to it. Goes through a kaleidoscope of taste nuances from lighting to burnout, and always leaves me wanting much more. Easy / clean burn from top to bottom ... no bite, no acrid taste when damp....For me ? just about perfect. I just wish that I had an endless and free supply.

Don't be put off by the fact that it's A/S tobacco made, they say in the tin that it's "smoked by all shrewd Judges "

I think that they may have had that one right.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The only products from the Orlik range I've ever seen on sale in Britain are Bull's eye, Golden Sliced and Dark Kentucky Flake. I would love to try some others because the three available are very good indeed.

For me, Golden Sliced is a solid three stars, Bull's eye a definate four and Dark Kentucky Flake somewhere inbetween. It has a good strong flavour, which I like, a novel appearance and an appreciable amount of nicotine.

On first opening I did find the tobacco a bit moist with a sticky quality that led me to believe there was a casing present. It was actually quite difficult to seperate the flakes without destroying them. Anyway, they rub out easily enough and, after a bit of drying time, light ok. The smoke is wonderfully flavoured and, although I can't really taste any (of what I understand to be) Kentucky flavours, it is dark and strong. The topping tastes lightly of muscovado sugar and liquorice and manages to never get in the way or become over powering.

Much like the other two tobaccos I have tried from Orlik, this does leave a slight sticky coating in the pipe but only a very thin layer.

The biggest suprise for me was the price. In the UK it's currently around £2 a tin cheeper than tobaccos of equivalent (or lesser) quality from Samuel Gawith, Rattray's, etc. and less than two thirds of the price of Davidoff's offerings. Bargain!

UPDATE...

I've been smoking more and more of this recently and it really is wonderful stuff. There is nothing I dislike about it. It makes me wonder why I even bother with other blends!

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I would not classify this as a burley though it does contain some. It still has the hay like VA note in it and a very sweet one. The tobacco has a sweet/musky oder to it and is absolutely beautiful to look at in it's broken flake state. some strands are very dark brown and some at a light to medium brown. Reminds me some of the barber pole cigars out there. I let mine dry overnight in a tray and rubbed it out somewhat and loaded it in my old large Peterson billiard. It took a couple of light, tamp, light rituals but one fired up, it only need one relight. It has a very sweet and rich taste and I think the room note is very pleasant. I sipped this with my morning tea and it was a very enjoyable hour of sweet tobacco flavor but with no bite at all. I find that a lot of VA based blends can bite if not aged, and as I did not age this before trying, I was very pleased with how gentle is is. It burned all the way down to a grey and black dottle and left no moisture in the bottom of my pipe. Only reason I did not rate a four is that it does not have a lot of phases to it, same flavor from start to finish with no increase in flavor as it burned down. Not that this is really a bad thing as the flavor is very nice.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First, my tin does not say "Dark Strong Kentucky", but "Dark Kentucky Flakes". Same picture of an aging transvestite, same colors and danish inscriptions that defy internet translating services.

I retried this after smoking Pease's Montgomery and loving the dark burley used in it. I like this blend because it shares that same quality. What is likely different is the flavoring used in DKF: whiskey and coffee. It goes well with the leaf, but make no mistake: this is another aromatic burley, but with some welcome differences.

The multicolored flakes are thankfully pre-cut to pipe bowl size. Drying may be advised: I have to use two q-tips to drain my pipe's shank every bowl, though I find the steam very tasty.

Perhaps the name was changed away from "strong" because the blend's nicotine strength is unremarkable. The taste, though, is very nicely rich. The chosen sauces are only slightly sweet and impart a dark flavor rarely found in the vanilla/fruit/spice/Old Spice- dominated aromatic genre.

Grab a new Missouri Meerschaum, christen it Bruce (after the 'guy' on the tin) and use it exclusively for this blend. There's a lot of character here and it leaves its mark.

Many dislike burleys and this will convert none of them. For burlists like myself, it's a gotta-try. It is only available in 100g, but a good gamble.

Pady Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pady (1)
Medium Strong Extra Full Very Pleasant

This is Tobacco at its Best - it demand a slowly burn and rich smoke. Look out for too high temperature. It goes very will to coffee, thea or a glas of brandy but not to reed vine or white vine. It realy udfoldes its caracter with plain drinking water.

Pipe Used: Buldog

Purchased From: Copenhagen

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a nice solid smoke. Slightly sweet and savory. Moderate amount of smoke produced, patience needed to get lit well, but nicely rewarded once accomplished. I don't usually go for Danish style tobaccos, but this and Golden Sliced are pretty darn good and the price is always right for the 100gr tin. I will smoke this on occasion but not a regular for me.

albo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albo (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Similar to WO Larsen Curly Flake 32, but a little bit darker and milder. Solid reliable stuff.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Loved this.

Has a deep brown sugary, almost spicy molasses esque note to it and smoked like a creamy dream. (The smoke that is...the smoke!) It doesn't bite and smokes similar to its red brother but with a nicer flavour.

Sadly though this is no longer available which is a bloody crying shame. I have one tin left and I will guard it with my life!!!!

In my top three....

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I really like this one. This is a very macho smoke, full in taste and a good amount of nicotine as well.

"Not for beginners" it says in the tin description, and I get what they mean, even though this is an easy smoke in the sense that I believe anyone can get comfortable with it in no time.

I smell Cavendish here, and the perfectly roasted Burley is also obvious. Mature Viginia indeed, and together these tobaccos make up one helle of a smoke. Not only because of the brilliant blending, but because Orlik seem to use the absolute best quality in tobacco, and this is a feeling I get, with all of their non- aromatics.

Yes, this is a perfect after steak-dinner smoke, along with a very stout pint of beer (Guinness would be a perfect match).

I call this the big brother of Three Nuns, as they are in many ways alike. This just has a little more going for it. It does tend to get sour/acrid towards the end, I guess it's the Burley talking.

Recommended indeed.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

}}}}}}Would you rather a Pint of"Miller Lite",or a Pint of"Guinness".....I'll take Guinness,Thankyou!(Dark Kentucky)! You either Love Guinness,or you hate it.I find"Orlik's Dark Kentucky"not unlike G'ness.....You can sip,gulp,or guzzle it//Easy draw,gasp,or toke it.....small,med,large pipe(glass).Not sure which i LOVE MORE...."Dark Kentucky"or"Guinness".....I find this Tobacco very complex,,,Super-cal-e-fradg-e-li-stick-x-p-aal-e-doe-shush!!! ! VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ! :))

Mr. Ubiquity Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Ubiquity (16)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I can't call this a mild tobacco. I generally sausage roll it and smoke it outside. Dark molasses flavors with a low key sweetness. It seems dry in the tin, but is actually fairly moist this way, rubbing it out will change the moisture retention drastically. If you can get this, try it. It's getting hard to find. Gets a bit stronger as the bowl progresses, burns very cleanly. The Kentucky get toasty but not the strong burley taste some dislike.

The nicotine hit was enough to put my nephew on all fours in the backyard, to be cautious if you are generally nico-sensitive. I rather like it.

"PUFF" Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
"PUFF" (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

For old-tyme flake smokers. And...those new to the pipe, who,after smoking some mild varieties, are perhaps now looking for something more. Orlik Dark Kentucky Flakes is a delicious smoke. (name varies a bit depending on what country you are in)

.....Soft, rich, and with copious smoke. It is a blend of high-quality tobaccos pressed into a cake and then sliced into "flakes", producing a rich, high-quality smoke, a good nicotine hit, and a tobacco that is not too complex. I can count on it to be a pleasant smoke every time I load a bowl.

It is perhaps a bit on the 'dry' side, but so far (6 tins) I have not had to add humidity.

It is a rare and 'honest' blend, in my opinion.. & is my #1 DAILY smoke, followed by "Bull's Eye." (a close second)

A good Kentucky flake-for a change I will recommend a MacBaren over something: their Stockton, which is a better highlighting of the Kentucky cured, I feel. The Orlik offering is dark, but not particularly strong. It has a wonderful smell, however, both before and after lighting, though my mom remarked "what IS that you're smoking?" She prefers the scent of Captain Black. I do like this tobacco for the good balance of the Kentucky with high quality Virginia. It is also natural, simple, and tasty-and at least where I bought it, not too pricey.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

As with many of my reviews, this is based on a relatively small sample smoked over a long period of time, probably five bowls smoked in a two month period.

Rich, full, dark flavors.

I really enjoy this flake but it is hard to get it burning and tasting right. It's easy to end up with bitter and hot smoke.

I'd give it four stars if I had more success in getting it into the zone... when it is on, it's wonderful stuff. Might be an issue with the piper, not the tobacco, but basically, I'm giving it three stars because it's not as tolerant of abusive smoking habits as I'd like.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is definitely a nice burley/virginia blend...the tanginess of the VA is unmistakable. Opening the 100g tin was wonderful, the aroma was lightly sweet but quite full as well. This may be cased but I think that some of the natural sugars shine through due to the Vas. This seemed to be like another Danish product I have found not to my liking in the past...MacBaren...however once lit this distances itself greatly.

The price for this tin was excellent before the anti-tobacco nazis taxed the hell out of it. But for a high quality flake the price is still very good...about $16 for that 100gr. tin.

This tobacco really works well in a narrow bowl as many flakes do. I like to rub it out partially after a short dry, say an hour or so.

After about four or five charring lights and letting it sit in the bowl for a few minutes the whole lot lit up very well in my furnace. I truly enjoy the deep flavor, sort of prune like, and deep tones of darkened caramel and nuts. The aroma is fantastic...having some of this waft up to my nose was pure delight. It was very easy to get lost in this blend and since I have learned that lighting prep work is the key to keeping a bowl well lit...I drifted away with not much maintenance. All tobacco taste...and not chemical as with many other cased flakes.

This is a solid smoke...and it may be one I'll keep around. Its funny...I was going to try Irish Flake the day I bought this, but the IF was sold out...I'm glad I found this baccy...and since IF is about $12 for 50gr...I can wait to try it another day.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Update 6/8/08: I stand corrected. Although not "discontinued," this does seem to be unavailable in the American market. Thanks for the info.

Update 8/26/06: I now consider this my top burley, though there are several I'd still like to try. But wouldn't you know it? They've discontinued this blend. Why?? Judging by the reviews, it's more popular by far than any of their others besides Golden Sliced. I went and bought the last two tins at my local shop, and I'd highly recommend you do this as well ASAP. DSK, or DKF, RIP.

This is my favorite burley after Barbary Coast. It deserves its rating because it burns wonderfully, with no bite, it tastes very pleasant (and goes well with a good single malt) with some interesting and unique overtones, non-smokers like the aroma, the way it looks is unique and interesting, and its nicotene content is not overpowering. The only thing I don't like is that the tin was 100g (not 50 like this website says), and that really is a bit much for me to smoke of the same tobacco before moving on. I do not smoke that much, so smaller tins are better for me.

I would not recommend leaving this sitting around, even in an airtight tin, for too long. It is not the most robust tobacco, and should be enjoyed right away for the best effect.

Also, it is fragile, like many continental virginia flakes, and so it will leave lots of "crumbles" in the bottom of the tin or jar, which are wasted as far as I'm concerned, because they do no smoke well at all.

These are minor problems, and overall this is a great tobacco. Lots of burleys out there are bitter, but this one certainly is not. Do not judge burleys until you try this and Barbary Coast!

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I am writing this a little earlier than I had inteneded, due to the fact that on perusing the existing reviews, I noticed Tobacco Critic had mentioned that this was no longer available, oh but it IS, still made under guarantee by Orlik in Denmark, most certainly available in England and on the web at http://www.tobacconistonline.com

I too was taken a little aback by the odour on opening the tin, and as usual, decided not to "sniff" at such a thing bit to burn.

Two tone coloured flakes meet the eye, which are perhaps a little dry but still pliable to a certain degree, rubs out well but care must be taken to avoid the handful of sawdust. Lights well and an easy burn, followed by a rich sweet taste that is not overpowering, keeps it's flavour throughout the bowl and burns down to a nice grey ash.

This is only my third bowl. so I'm not at all sure as to my final verdict, love it or hate it, I try to finish the whole tin of a new tobacco, this way I feel I can give an honest and true opinion, it is only on rare occasions that I will abandon the entire contents, alas, sometimes needs must.

For the moment, Three Stars. So far, other than the moisture content, or should I say lack of it, I have found little to complain about, however, this too may change.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

I first smoked this tobacco a couple of years ago. I liked it a lot. Nice, two tone flakes with real tobacco flavor with just a bit of licorice and it was good and fresh. It's even better with some age one it, althogh the faint licorice element weakens considerably over time.

Today this delicious flake has been discontinued. Although I still have a couple of 100 gram tins on hand, it is pretty much impossible to find anywhere. Word has it that negotiations are ongoing for Stokkebye to continue production of this fine flake in bulk form under another name, but that hasn't occurred at this writing.

if you can find it, it's a fine smoke.

Tobacco Saves Lives Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacco Saves Lives (31)

Better burlies are availible, try G.L. pease. Its okay. I will smoke it from time to time. sometimes gets soapy aftertaste, mild and cased. certainly not what I like from a burley.

Brahms Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brahms (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Well worth paying the extra moeny to have it sent from England.

A subtle but beautiful smell in the tin, with lovely looking mixed-colored flakes that rub out and pack marvelously well.

One match gets it going, and it burns easy all the way down to a fine ash.

The taste is refined and delightful, with enormous volumes of rich, soft smoke. The mouth feels refreshed at the end. Just heavenly.

Wonderful stuff!

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Strong Mild Full Very Pleasant

This is a fantastic Bruley Flake! By far, the best burley tobacco I ever smoked. If you had reserves about smoking burley tobacco in the past, you owe yourself of try of this tobacco.

This is dark and strong, with a full flavor rival to English/Balkan blends. This is a great end of day smoke and goes great with your choice of drink. The tin aroma is wonderfull, licorice/anise. Like others had said, this does not smoke or taste like an aromatic, but the licorice flavor stays in the background and compliments the great tobacco flavor. Bright VA adds a nice sweetness. I think this is what C&D was trying to do with Safe Harbor Flake, but fell very short on their flavor and flake quality.

These are excellent flakes that fold for easy loading and smoking. This tobacco will have a place in my rotation!

Highly Recommended

tiltjlp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tiltjlp (7)
Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

I'm a burly lover, as well as an admitted corn cob snob, and this has quickly become my favorite blend. At age 60, I need a bit stronger tobacco to get my attention, and Dark Kentucky is that perfect combination, lots of flavor and lots of nicotine. Just opening the tin is enough to cause a smile.

The licorice undertone of Dark Kentucy gives this blend just the tart sweetness needed to make this an interesting and complex smoke. I'm not much for aromatics, and this isn't by any means aromatic, but the licorice gives it a full, pleasent room note, at least for me. Being single, I can't guess how someone else might feel about the after effects.

If you like mild, humble blends, you prpbably won't care for this one. But if you want a tobacco you can go to at any time and know you'll take notice of what's in your bowl, you won't find a better choice than Dark Kentucky. Get a Diplomat cob and dedicate it to this blend; you'll be reaching for it quite often. If you try it and don't like it, by all means send it to me, I'll give it a good home.

zeuxis76 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zeuxis76 (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Anise seed and liquorice are the predominant tastes in this blend from Orlik. They are accompanied by sweet VAs and a nutty, smooth, well-rounded Kentucky.

I enjoy smoking this tobacco while fishing. Although, the nicotine level seems to be rather high. It gives me a heady buzz if I puff too much. That buzz causes some discomfort if I am wading in a particularly craggy spot on the river (I got tripped up several times on the jagged rocks of the Hooch).

There is not much more to say about this blend. I find it easy to approach, with little complication. It is a nice addition to my cabinet and weekly rotation.

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Very Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable

Although I am not so fond of Orlik products I have to say that Dark Kentucky Flakes are amazing! Lots of kentucky taste here with a good nicotine kick! Perfect after a good meal? and before a long sleep! :-)

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I continue to be amazed by this tobacco. Time and again I've returned to it. The tin smell is great. The flakes are well cut and very easy to work with. It does have a nicotine reminder toward the end but not so intense as to be off putting. This is a very dependable smoke that has withstood the test of time. Definitely worth a try.

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another old favourite of mine that has remained consistent over time. Upon opening the tin one is greeted with an attractive ensembal thin rectangular slices with contrasting golden and dark tobaccos, along with a light topnote of fermented fruit, that seems to evaporate after a few days. The tobacco is relatively dry in the typical Danish style, though tends to maintain its moisture level over time.

The smoke is smooth with medium density and just a hint of the topnote is present. It smokes well to the bottom of the bowl, though like many burley blends can be a little one dimensional, so it might not be everyone's all day smoke.

IMO reasonable value and well worth a try.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)

A very nice flake tobacco which is more flavorful and better mannered than Orlick Golden Sliced. The burley content seems to be very small. I taste mainly Virginia and Cavendish. Like most flakes, I need to give it a charring light and let it sit for awhile to obtain significant flavor. It tastes pretty much the same throughout the smoke; no big complexity here, but very pleasant and easy to rub out and keep lit.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)

YEAST, DOUGH, SLIGHT NUT

Cavendish and Burley can be boring- Orlik has changed that with a unique blend here. Certainly one to try. On my rotation, though not smoked regular. Mild, Smooth, Bread Dough, Nutty. It is unilateral, not complicated.

BETTER PICK: GL PEASE BARBARY COAST

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Update September 16, 2006: This picks up another star. Getting the moisture level down to "just pliable" makes a pleasant difference for me. I also switched to smoking DSK in meerschaums. The aroma is almost unbeatable and the fire-cured Burley is wonderfully present. If it were just more tame and easier to light, it would be four stars all the way.

___________________________________________

I like this better than Edgeworth Sliced, another and better known Burley flake blend (presently unavailable 9/22/06). Both can bite the tongue if not smoked in whole flakes and that slowly. ES and DSK are also cased for added sweetness and flavor.

I do not detect the molasses in DSK I do in ES. DSK sometimes tastes a bit like honey and smells of bakers' spices. Both blends have some Virginia to my tastes. The moisture, casing and Virginia contribute to the the heat ever threatening. Try drying both before enjoying.

Except for ES and DSK having cigar notes, they really diverge in taste. DSK is a heavier flavor, akin to Lapsang Souchong tea. I think this smokiness in DSK comes from the dark, fired Kentucky leaf generously provided. DSK is more akin to a maduro cigar wrapper when the cigar notes waft in and out. I do not get a chocolate or cocoa note as some reviewers have noted. Perhaps a truffle (as in fungi, not confection) flavor is also detectable.

The first third of a bowl is pleasant, sweeter than the end and the hottest (by temperature) part of the experience. The last two thirds of a bowl are the better part of the smoke. The flavor deepens and the effect is rich. There are times a medium- high note comes through the deeper flavors. Adding Perique would make this too strong and too spicy.

I tried this in generous pot shaped pipes and found that it burned too hot. Changing to a straight-walled billard with a group 3+ capacity did it for me. I think a heavily tapered chamber would concentrate the flavors in excess and make it a harsh smoke.

DSK is strong, but not like 1792 or Royal Yacht, which are stronger. I can smoke this without having eaten and not fear "going green."

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is great stuff. Got it on a whim, and glad I did. Comes in one of the best working tins I've seen. It actually shut well. Flakes are very attractive- Black with blond strips inside. Smells like licorice and tobacco. Not a strong smell of licorice- just enough to wonder if thats what it was. Flakes are smaler than expected, it takes two for me, but its a 100grm tin...so this isn't a major minus. Flavor profile is nice throughout the bowl. Great a bit stronger in taste toward the bottom. Does well with DGT. Clean finish. All in all a great burley blend. In my top three burlies.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

Oh man, oh man! The guys at Cigar and Tabac in OP,Ks recommended this to me when I told them I wanted a good strong (but tasty) burley blend that cut right to the chase. I wanted something that would be tasty, long lasting, and loaded with nicotine. This is what was recommended.

I have been familiar with Stokebye tobaccos for quite sometime, being a ryo smoker, and I didn't think this blend would be disappointing. It wasn't. Dark (Stong) Kentucky flakes aptly describes what this blend is.

The tin aroma was strong, but pleasant; none of that overpowering sweetness like I found with MacBaren's London Burley Blend. It was a little like dates, but not like the stewed prune smell I expected. And the flakes are beautiful; nice golden tobacco sandwiched between chocolate colored layers. It's almost a shame to rub it out (or cross cut into cubes, your choice).

This stuff tastes like no other burley/va blend I have tried. It tastes like no other tobacco blend period. It definitely tasted of burley, and there's just enough of the virginia to sweeten it, but it has a nice aged character and aroma. The best way I can think of to describe the smoking experience is that it tastes "manly". And the aroma is manly, in a flannel shirt and pickup kind of way. My wife absolutely detests the lingering odor of it in my truck, but she is overly fond of flowers and girly things.

When I asked the gentlemen who recommended this blend to me what it was like, I was told that it couldn't be described. But, I was assured that it would be good if I liked burleys. I found them to be correct. Dark Kentucky has to be experienced. Buy a tin; put on your best flannel shirt and hiking boots, and tramp out into the woods with a bowl full. But, leave the wife at home.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first experience with tobacco was some 45 years ago with a Model, a burley tobacco which I smoked until I became enamoured with Virginia and English blends. Througout the years, I've tried about 20 burleys, only to find them either too harsh and/or too hot resulting in tongue bite.

DSK is in a class of its own. It is an exceptionally fine, full bodied and satisfying tobacco with a very light casing that adds a most satisfying flavor.

Fresh from the shelf, DSK is a great tobacco. Left to age even a few months provides a more mellow smoke and a slightly enhanced flavor.

There a still a couple of burley based tobaccos I have yet to sample, but for now, DSK is the one of the best of the lot, second only to Stonhaven.

Update 8/9/06 This blend reminds me of Espterica's Blackpool and Ramsgate notwithstanding that the Esoterica blends are Virginia's. If you enjoy the anise topping, you will be sure to enjoy

ToboldHornblower Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ToboldHornblower (15)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my favorites as there is nothing else quite like it. It smells like raisins in the tin and has a pleasant room note for a nonaromatic. Flavor, while not complex, is very tasty. It has not bitten me even when I have at times puffed a little too fast and hard. Others have written of its pleasing look and delight in rubbing it out and I agree with their kudos. If you haven't tried it yet I suggest you do and don't let presuppositions about what it should be like get in the way. Enjoy it for what it actually is --- a fine smoke.

D'Jullius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D'Jullius (19)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

a very unique smooth Cavendish/ Burley. Great flavor.

Ps: I have contacted Orlik to figure out what the can says. It truely does defy all online translators. The phrase "Er Yderst Sundhedsskadelight" The mystery was too much for me. 'is harmfull to health'

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is one of those tobaccos that doesn't easily compare with anything else. So for that reason at a minimum, one should try a tin (or share the 100g amongst friends). It is a "oreo cookie" of flake. The dark burley strips on either edge of a virginia core. I tried the newer tinned product labelled as Dark Kentucky Flakes per the new EU laws. The virginia must certainly be from a similar batch as the Capstan flake is made from. High quality, clean burning, and delightful.

The tin aroma is nothing less than pure sundried raisins. The flavour combines the virginia and burley so well with a flavour ranging from nutty to raisin and fig. There is a tartness and sweetness from the virginia, balanced with a fullness and rounding imparted by the burley-- which I don't believe is flavoured much if at all. The aroma emminating from the bowl is not really inviting or lady friendly, but outdoors it is a lovely rich tobacco farm fresh smell, not at all like cigarettes as some plain virginias can emulate. This is a must try for those who favour natural blends with medium-hi nicotine and without Latakia. Definitely a change of pace from plain jane virginias. Not for the aromatic lover or those who need to smoke like a blast furnace, though it doesn't really bite.

Ivanhoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ivanhoe (35)
Medium to Strong Mild Very Mild Pleasant

DSK is burley, and nothing but. I love burley blends, and I smoke more burley than anything else. I was looking forward to trying this one after seeing its great reviews, many from reviewers whose taste has agreed with mine on the past.

The bottom line is: it's mild tasting, it has some sweetish topping on it, and that's it. There is a moderate amount of nicotine, but nothing special for a straight burley. There is absolutely nothing objectionable about it, except that it's BORING. The taste of this blend so uneventful that I find myself wondering when it's going to be finished by the time I'm a third of the way through a bowl. I've smoked about half of the 100g tin I bought, and I'm ready to give the rest away. Box pass, anyone?

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

I don't like misleading names and descriptions. I thought DSK would be a burley/Virginia blend in the same class as Edgeworth Slices. I bought it to replace the now extinct Edgworth Slices. I was wrong. Can I really be blamed? Look at the name and the tin description. This is nothing more than an upscale Danish aromatic, a pretty good one, but not for me. I feel misled and ripped off. It's not a bad blend, and I'm sure many will like it.

Update: Now that I am nearing the end of this tin, I've changed my opinion of DSK. Surely, it's no Edgeworth Slices, but it is a very good blend on its own merit. The flavoring reminds me of licorice and I have come to like it very much; the flavoring comes across stronger in the tin than when lit. The tobacco burns very well, rubbed or by folding the flakes. I have bought a few tins for the cellar and plan to keep a tin open as part of my regular tobacco rotation. When you're wrong, you're wrong, and I was wrong about this very nice tobacco blend!

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a very pleasant medium strength tobacco that doesn't fit into any classification-- a little stoved, a little flavored, a little straight Virginia.

I was sure this was lightly cased until one day I mixed some rubbed out Stonehaven with light Virginia and realized it was a bit like Orlik DSK. Otherwise, there is nothing else like it.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

Recently, Europe has changed their laws regarding labeling of things. Dark Strong Kentucky is now just Dark Kentucky so the ?confusion? can finally stop. I never thought this blend was particularly strong anyway.

Appearance: This one gets the nod for ?oddity? if anything ever did. When whole the flake look something like an Oreo cookie with Dark Kentucky on the outside and light colored Virginia in the middle, strange yes, but very appealing. One true bonus of this feature is that you can ?customize? a bowl easily adding more of either componant simply by adding more of the appropriate color.

Aroma: This mixture has a deep sweet aroma very enticing. Immediately one smells a deep hay-like quality, cocoa, molasseses, coffee and maybe a hint of cherry or some other fruity essence. Deep, sharp and earthy, carmel tones and nuts are evident.

This tobacco is nearly perfect in moisture though sometimes I allow it to air a bit before use. Most often I simply fold the flakes up and insert them into the bowl un-rubbed, affording me a long burning bowl each time.

Lighting usually is a single fairly laborious as this leathery flake is slow to burn and slow to properly light. As expected, the initial flavor very Burley, with a thick silky mouth feel, notes of butter and nuts. Hay-like tones and smells and flavors of Autumn are abundant with deepening flavors of nuts and butter interplaying in a fascinating way. Deeper tones of chocolate and the occasional taste of cherry is there. The Virginia adds a very pleasant tangy top note to the whole affair.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build the toothsome mixtures of butter, nuts and Burley develop in strength slowly along predictable lines. A slight builds throughout, cigar-like flavors come in from time to time. The nuttiness becomes more pronounced and the Virginia drones on adding sweet and sour which is very agreeable. DSK is not very complex, not requiring deep concentration to smoke and enjoy.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, the bowl never really changes other than it gradually deepening. This blend remains consistent throughout. The final third has matured nicely with all the flavors working in deepening harmony. Well behaved and cool smoking this mixture satifsys my sweet tooth and passion for Burley all at once. The final third is very rich tasting, but IMHO it is not strong. While not quite a masterpiece of a blend, it certainly has a lot going for it. As a crossover blend (between natural and aromatic) it is unique, there is nothing that I know of that tastes quite like it, though there are some that are similar.

Supplemental Notes: I recommend this blend to those who enjoy Burley and to those who've never tried Burley but are curious to do so.. Rating for those interested in numbers * stars

Rev. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Smoke (18)

OK, so I was very leery. I read the reviews and they concerned me. It didn't sound like this would be my kind of tobacco at all.

Well, here is my first sample review. I was given a 100g tin of this, and am not normally a big fan of burleys. The reviews here had me very leery of trying things, making me think of powerful Burley. Powerful I don't mind, I like stout tobaccos, just like my beers. However, the reviews had me concerned.

Ah what the heck, a friend said I should go for it. OK, I cracked the tin. This is some interesting looking tobacco. I like the color of the flakes, black & tan, reminds me of one of my English pub favorites - something with a stout in it. The tin note is very coffee-like with a dark molasses sweetness to it. However, it does not seem to be cased in any way. This smells like pure tobacco.

Rubbed some of it out as I like to try a flake the first time completely rubbed out to get its full measure. It rubs out easily into a very fine cut. Nice! I like that. Pulled out a cob, just in case it was a flavored tobacco, filled it and we were off.

OK, it was a little moist and needed three lights to get going, but I knew that before I started. Hmm, nutty, sweet, and very tasty - not complex, just tasty. Strong? Well, not yet anyway. I like the flavors here. This is some excellent tobacco. There is a hint of coffee, someone else mention caramel - maybe. Brown sugar? Possibly. Molasses? Could be it. It is just naturally sweet, no detectable flavorings. This was incredibly cool.

Inhaled a couple times to get a feel for the nicotine content, it is supposed to be "strong". While it is bold, it isn't nicotine strong so that it is going to leave you woozy. The room note was very pleasant for what I am still believing to be an un-cased tobacco.

OK, let's see how this stuff burns. I am looking for a blend I can smoke without thinking about it. When I do that, I tend to get bit badly as I puff more forcefully. So, I forced it. I tried to get this to burn hot - didn't happen - couldn't make it happen.

Again, I want to return to this. Is this an aromatic? Well, if it is, it is only mildly so. I get the feeling this is just a very tasty, full-flavored tobacco. This isn't a contemplative blend, you know, the type that needs 100% of your concentration to experience all the subtle nuances. This is just a very solid taste treat, rich and sweet.

If you haven't guessed by now, I thoroughly enjoyed this first bowl. That is saying quite a bit. Usually I reserve any judgement until I have had a couple pipes. Now, there is every possibility that all things were hitting on the right cylinders and I just got into the groove on this baccy in this one bowl. And, it may miss entirely after this. I doubt it, doesn't normally work that way.

So, I wanted to say thanks to the friend who encouraged me not to trade off this tin without opening it and giving it a whirl. Wow, what a mistake that would have been.

4.8 of 5 halos.

UPDATED - January 9, 2005

I didn't expect to like this blend much. My first review of it was after a sample. I have since gone through two 100g tins and have three more in the cellar. For me to have that much of a "burley" in my cellar says quite a bit. In fact, I don't have three tins of a whole lot in my cellar.

If you like aromatics, give this a try, this might be something to lead you into straight tobaccos. If you like Virginias, and think that Burleys aren't for you, this might change your mind. I have tried a few other Burley blends since this to see if my tastes have changed, I never finished one of them. I was hoping that Solani Silver Flake might be in a similar vein as this - no such luck.

Still agree with my original assessment.

alabra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
alabra (5)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I agree with Redneck (see below) that upon opening this burley had very distinct molasses/raisin notes and a dark, 'just-this-side-of-black' color. It smells delicious in the tin but unfortunately much of that warm sweetness is lost when lit, leaving behind on the tongue what was, to me, a very mild and subtle smoke with an unoffensive, if pleasant, nose - a good all day smoke. I enjoyed this alot and will smoke it quite often, probably - especially when I am writing or reading and need a mild enjoyment for hours that won't bite or overwhelm or if I am outdoors doing something and concentrating on the smoking experience itself is not the purpose. The nicotine kick, I thought, was relatively low, though I see some others here disagree with me. I liked it alot. No complaints. A solid 3 stars.

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not sure why, but I find DSK smokes a bit cooler than its stablemate, Golden Sliced. Smoke it in whole folded flakes, keep it tamped and puff gently. You will know that you've had a smoke all right - there is a fair nicotine hit. The flavour is quite strong and is not that of an aromatic, but mostly just decent burley. It looks and smells good in the tin, and takes a couple of lights when in whole flake form. Not bad, but not a favourite either.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)

I'll be brief, as many fine reviewers have described this tobacco very well.

This is a nice Burley experience with a lightly sweet topping. The room note is pleasant.

If you're a Burley lover, it's worth a try.

If you're interested in a GREAT Kentucky Burley experience, I recommend Cornell & Diehl's Easy Times.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

In this past few months I'm rediscovering the good things about smoking Kentucky and Burley. In Italy we have some kentucky-based blends, but they're rough and not at all refined, though good for blending, due to their strenght. On the contrary this kentucky based flake shows a nice personality supported by a fine display of high quality leaf. At first sight I was expecting a stronger smoking experience; not that the nicotine content is low, but with that name I was waiting for a real punch. I suggest to rub it out, partially at least, to obtain a regular burn, and to leave it dry for some minutes. The taste is something to remember: deep, nutty and smoky. Recommended.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

In brief, not for me. Why? See previous reviews by Beer and Darwin.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Since I am a Dane I have tried every Danish blend available here except from this one, until now. I regret that I am so late because this stuff is really, really good!

DSK is definitely an aromatic. I suspect that the dark "Kentucky-stripes" in the flake are actually Black Cavendish, because this blend blend is cased and Kentucky is hard to detect. Normally I avoid aromatics, but the casing-work, done here, is a masterpiece; subtle, natural and non-goopy. The nicotine level is medium and high enough to satisfy me.

DSK reminds me of W.O. Larsens Selected Blend No. 32 Curly Flake (compare review) but instead of being cased into unrecognizability DSK remains true to the leaf. Oh yeah by the way, the tin is cool and the flakes look really sophisticated. (not that it should be very significant, but anyway.)

One of the best Danish baccies ever made.

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Notes: I was amused by the portrait of a barrister on the lid of the tin, accompanied by the quote: "Smoked by all shrewd judges." I tried this in a number of pipes. I found that it was best fully rubbed out in a Size 3-4 Dunhill briar.

Appearance: Square-cut tightly pressed flake, about 3 cm on a side. A 50-50 split of golden leaf and dark brown-black leaf, which makes for an attractive looking flake.

Aroma: Baked fig bars, maraschino cherry, dark chocolate, clover honey, rosemary, pomegranate, danish pastries, blackberry jam, grape juice concentrate.

Taste: This is very much a Danish aromatic, but stronger. Strong, sweet flavor of figs and dried cherries. Round flavor of pain au chocolat and fresh-baked brown bread. Standard strongly nutty burley flavor. Burns quite well without any bitterness.

Comparisons: Agreed similarities to W.O. Larsen's Curly Flake No. 32, but not as heavily cased. Similar to Collins Cut Plug but more austere, less playful. Similar to Black Man's London Club Mixture, but not as rounded or creamy.

Bottom Line: If you enjoy a deliciously full burley blend with a substantial cherry-chocolate flavor, this one's for you.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

This is a fairly strong, spicy tobacco. It has a nutlike flavor and a mellowness. Its strength never seems to translate to tongue-bite. A very satisfying smoke on occassions and in a very small bowl.

Redneck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redneck (15)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable

A great tasting and smelling tobac (chocolate - molassis - raisons - fresh baked bread) to the smoker. This is not an aromatic tobac (cherry,vanilla,etc) Your family may not like the room note. Slow burning, no bite, good DGT, burns dry & stays lit. A great all day smoke with a slight virginia tang. Wonderfull in a large cob pipe.

Paul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul (4)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a blend I had been eyeballing for awhile, and finally found a local guy who would get it for me. I don't mind ordering online, but at the same time I would like to support the local guy. He ordered 3 tins of this and Nightcap at my suggestion and they all sold.

But back to the tobak. The flake in this tin, is beautiful. You almost want to carry it around in a pouch to show everyone. Especially anyone who is into pipesmoking. I would recomment it just on the visuals alone, but the taste is outstanding. Sweet, robust, fills your mouth and nose with a wonderful plume of smoke. One cannot go wrong here.

Upon opening the tin, there was a rather sharp smell in there that I didn't agree with too much, however having popped the top for about two weeks, the scent is gone replaced by a lovely tobacco smell. Wonderful stuff, highly recommended..

(my first review)

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Great tobacco, cut into small, square cuts of half dark, half light flakes. I liked this onee and found it to burn real well in any size pipe. It has a real good flavor and is very predictable in any size pipe that you smoke it in. 4 out of 5 stars!

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

For the economy of space I will refer you to the review of Tantric which I believe is right on the money, with the exception that IMO this tobacco is lightly scented. I have devoted a Zulu with a narrow tall bowl to DSK and have developed a technique of loading for it. I pick equal qualities of dark and light pieces, make a round "plug" with my fingers and load it vertically in the pipe. Takes practice to get the right thickness but smokes great. Late night smoke with a glass of port and a nice movie. Blow the smoke to an uninhabited corner or the LSW will complain!

Joe Patterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Patterson (48)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

Upon opening the tin, you notice right away that this is gonna be different -- Flakes that are two tone! Visually, a winner. Half of the flake looks like Reiner Golden while the other half resembles Dark Star -- but again, as one flake! The tin aroma first starts off like caramel, but then develops a licorice type odor. Base on odor alone, I was fairly certain this was not gonna be for me, and I was right. The tin odor carried over to the smoke flavor -- I don't like licorice, and that's what this tasted like. Bleck! I smoked about half a bowl and dumped the rest in the yard -- frankly, I'm worried about the yard. I shipped the rest of the tin off to a fellow piper who likes Burley.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have at last found another burley blend which I not only can tolerate, but actually enjoy. It is rather stout (not overwhelmingly so, however). and the topping - if one exists at all - is very light.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I first tried this tobacco by recomendation from my local pipe shop owner. She knew that I primarily smoked Kentucky Burley and told me to give it a try. The initial scent present at the opening of the tin was a bit more sweet and spicy than the straight burley that I usually smoke. I guess this is due in part to the presence of viginia varieties. This blend is pressed and sliced, revealing the top and bottom layers of Kentucky, which sandwich the lighter Virginia in the middle. Once rubbed out, I had to let this one dry for about 30min before smoking because the moisture content was quite high. Although this one is called Stong Dark Kentucky, it is quite mild on the tounge and its aroma is not offensive in the least. Also, I noticed that even with what appears to be a 2:1 ratio of Kentucky to Virginia, the Virginia cuts through the taste of the Kentucky more than I prefer. I usually like to smoke Virginia and Kentucky straight-up. The aroma is brown sugar sweet, with the mild tartness so characteristic of Virginia. I prefer to smoke this blend as vell as straight VA and KY in a billiard. It is long and lasting and stays caramel sweet to the end. This blend burns clean leaving a mildly grey ash in the bottom of the bowl.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

The fellas above have done a good job of reviewing this blend,so I won't elaborate much further.I sampled a bowlful at the last meeting of my pipe club.It did very little for me, as I'm not a big fan of burley (cased or otherwise)What struck me was just how spicy it was.Unfortunately it was the only flavor I could detect making the blend completely one dimensional to my palate.It was also extremely hard for me to keep it lit.I just have'nt found an Orlik blend that really does it for me and this one's NO different.I'd imagine those who enjoy MacBaren's blends would gravitate to these,I'm just not one of them. Pass This One By... pReP

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

My first encounter with DSK was a bit intimidating. A bit on the strong side I thought and fairly difficult to light,etc. After this tin sat in my motorhome for two or three months, it had given up some of the initial moisture. It is still fairly flexible and much easier to rub out and get burning. I normally just fold a couple of flakes in half and push them lightly into the bowl. They fire up on the second light and burn nicely. I detect a nice Virginnia component in this tobacco. That typical sharpness tells your tongue Virginnia is present. The Burley is of a very high quality and does dominate the blend. No bitterness whatsoever. If you puff too hard, you can induce some tongue-bite. Take it easy and you will be very pleasantly rewarded. Don't let the Burley name keep you from trying this tobac. It is only available in a 100 gram tin where I shop so you may want to borrow a pinch or see if your tobacconist will let you try a bowl first. In any event, if you end up with the tin, you most likely will have no trouble getting rid of the remainder if you are one of the few who don't like this flake. I am not a big fan of really strong flakes and I thought this one was great! A relatively unique tobacco. Highly recommended for the experienced pipe smoker. Note: After smoking this tobac. you will not taste any other blend. Not even a strong English!

Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

A nice surprise, after I was disappointed by the overly mild Orlick Golden Sliced!

The tin contains very dark square flakes with golden stripes: their dark, caramelized aroma reminds of dried plums and is very delicious. The taste is quite mild (in spite of the name, even the nicotine content is perfectly tolerable!), nutty and toasted with dark sugary notes. In a fresh tin, the flakes come quite moist so if you don't dry them a bit you can end up with a a watery and weak taste (and some bad moisture in the shank). It burns well when rubbed out, and may take some relights if you just press a couple of flakes in the bowl.

Dark? Yes, in color and in taste. Strong? Not at all, actually quite delicate and subtle. Kentucky? Yes, of a very high quality, not rough like in some other brands.

I usually don't like Danish tobaccos, but this one is good (although a bit TOO delicate for my taste). Definitely superior to the similar W.O. Larsen Dark Flake.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

My tins contained nicely prepared flakes ~ 1.5" x 1" that fit my packing style of no rub out with most of my bowl sizes. The flakes I've seen are like an Oreo cookie with the dark layers pressed outside a golden center resulting in an interesting and rather unusual presentation. The tin aroma is not overly sweet but also inviting and no distinct casing is evident. Packing and lighting are effortless and relights are not normally required. This blend provides a cool, dense, rich, sweet taste from start to finish and Stokkebye, the blender, has perfectly balanced the Burley with the sweet VAs. I did find that with multiple smokes in the same pipe, excessive condensation and a strong, bitter taste developed towards the end of the bowl. Proper pipe rest, rotation and cleaning seem more important with this blend that some other flakes. However if this is practiced, you'll be rewarded with a rather strong but satisfying and enjoyable smoke. I've grown to prefer this blend's taste over my prior Burley favorite, MacBaren's Navy Flake, since this one lacks the Cavendish influence and tastes more natural to me. Although I'll still revert to my VA and VA/Perique flakes purchased in bulk @ less unit cost for my regular smokes, this blend could easily be an all day favorite for me. Give it a try.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

For some reason this reminded me a little bit of Mick Mcquaids flake or kind of like Paul Olsons 111 flake but not as round and silky. I enjoy this for the times when I would like a stronger virginia burley blend. This is definately good and is worth a try but if you would like to try a virginia burley flake that is wonderful and superb try the 111 flake by Paul olson( another blended flake by Peter Stokebye)

Bassopotamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bassopotamus (4)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I got my first bit of DSK from Mars as a sample and immediately fell in love. It is everything I could want in a tobacco. Full flavored yet mild, slightly sweet, and cool smoking. I've purchased several tins now and dedicated one pipe to it.

The tin aroma is very inviting (strong tobacco smell with hints of fig and raisn), and the tobacco is packaged in conveniently sized flakes. They are the same hight as the bowl I smoke DSK in, so I don't rub them out, just lay them in vertically until the pipe is full.

DSK burns cooly. The flavor is strong but not overwhelming. With a name like Dark Strong Kentucky, I was expecting something overwhelming, but it is a nice balanced smoke. IT has plenty of flavor to let you know it is there, but no bit. It is very smooth, almost creamy.

Jumbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jumbo (12)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Another positive review for Dark Strong Kentucky. I've worked my way through a whole tin, in all kinds of pipes. It's delicious.

Yes, it does have a fairly high dose of nicotine.

Smoke it slowly and you will be rewarded.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Outstanding five star Burley blend here! I haven't smoked this in a while because my tobacconist no longer carries it. But friends don't let the label on the tin scare you away from this most excellent blend. The burley is Kentucky's finest, Green River fire cured. It is laced with just enough Virginia to balance it out. Pressed into blocks and cut into thin strips, this is spicey BURLEY. Nicotene heaven, robust,a manly smoke,puts hair on your chest,spicey,nutty,mellow,good all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I hate to do this but . . . . . I have to rain on this parade.

Upon opening this tin I was very impressed by the A+ quality of the tobacco. Beautiful rich flakes that are 1/2 dark and 1/2 bright. Excellent moisture level.

The aroma was interesting. Strange but I sensed licorice. Not sure what is up here but it made me a tad nervous.

Once I started smoking it, the licorice scent I noticed in the tin became prominent in flavor. I actually have no idea what this is. It sure seems to me that this tobacco had something added to it. It simply did not taste like straight Burley/VA. Whatever it was, I hated it. Yak.

I am in the minority here so you might want to try this anyway.

Oh well . . . one thing about pipesmokers; we are all individuals. Pipe smoking is not something you do because everyone else is doing it. So while I did not like this stuff at all, others will surely disagree.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This is how a premium Burley blend should be! I find this blend to be rich and dark, just like I imagined when I first heard the name. The only flavoring I picked up on was a bit of sweetness that seemed to be added. This tobacco burned well and was slightly dry in the tin. There really isn't much else to say, It's very fullfilling when you're looking for something to satisfy after a hearty meal!

Benjamin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Benjamin (22)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

During my most recent trip home to Canada, a friend presented me with a Brigham pipe (Canadian made) and a tin of Dark Strong Kentucky. As we sat on his balcony, I decided to break in my new pipe with a bowl of my new tobacco. The pipe, by the way, is an incredible smoker that utilizes Brigham's surprisingly effective filter system. I received a wonderful surprise. The tobacco was incredible. This is everything its name implies. There is nothing subtle here, just a dark, rich, strong tobacco flavour. These irregular flakes smoke best when chopped finely. This tobacco then provides very interesting flavour variations, shifting from a hearty caramel to roasted coffee beans. Wonderful, wonderful tobacco that reminds me why I smoke a pipe. =================================================================================================Update, 3 October 2003 Dear Brethren of the Briar. I have just received great news. I will be starting a new job in Japan in mid-October. This comes after three very rocky months of upheaval. Of all the tobaccos I have on the shelf, which bowl will I reach for to celebrate? Why Dark Strong Kentucky, of course. Cheers to all.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I bought this tobacco on the recommendations of fellow pipe smokers.

At first I was a little leery of this tobacco from the name alone, opening the tin I noticed the two tone tobacco Flake with a mildness of fresh tobacco. I rubbed some of the tobacco out and packed it in my Bjarne Brandy Glass, the tobacco was a little moist, but not to the point I could not light it up. The first few drags were very strong but they began mellowing out as I smoked it towards the half way mark of the bowl. Towards the bottom of the bowl the tobacco was as good as it was after the first half on the bowl.

I was not over-powered by the harshness I was expecting to find with the Virginia tobacco, but found it to be a very pleasant smoke with no tongue bite. One could smoke this as an all day tobacco if they so desired

This will become one of my favorites to smoke

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This a very peculiar looking tobacco. It comes in a 100g tin consisting of small thin flakes, 1&1/2 x 3/4 inches in size, jumbled about. Half the flake is medium brown tobacco and half is dark tobacco. It smells like like a chocolate cake topped with vanilla and cherry cream. My first thought was, "Oh, oh, not one of these again. I can't put this stuff in a briar. Better get the corn cobs." The flake is nice and pliable, rubs easily into whatever form you would prefer to pack it. It lights quickly and burns nicely all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Thank goodness, very little of the casing comes through in the smoke. In fact, the smoke has a lightly sweetened Virginia and burley flavor. This is a good smoke if you appreciate burly. I am told the room note is a smooth vanilla with a chocolate edge. The burly has strength in that you get the strong burly sensation on the tongue, but you do not get the cheap burly taste. I continue to smoke this in corn cobs, although I do not think it would infest a pipe. Just not willing to take the chance. This should be enjoyed by the burly lover and as a very big step up for the aromatic lover. I would rank this right behind Sweet Vanilla Honeydew Flake. Recommended. Paddy.

Gregor Samsa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gregor Samsa (4)

This is probably my favorite tobacco. The layered slices look really cool, and it rubs out quite easily. It's got a nice full but not overwhelming flavor and aroma, toasty and caramel-like. It's not really all that powerful as far as I'm concerned, but it's not light at all.

This came as a very nice surprise. IMO this is an excellent tobacco, flavoursome, spicy, with a discreet toffee-chocolaty undertone (though I wouldn?t say an aromatic proper), elegant, palatable, and exceedingly smooth. It does have a rather noticeable nicotine kick, but other than that this is not a strong tobacco in the sense that Dunhill?s Nightcap, Fox?s Provost Mixture or even Gawith?s Full Virginia Flake are. If anything, I rate DSK as a medium strength dark flake, with a very obvious Burley-Kentucky component, but with enough Virginia to give it an admirable balance and zest.

Tin aroma is very inviting: somewhere in between the bitter sweet and tangy registers. The flakes are beautiful: almost square cut, dark and bright brown striped (rather like petite biscuits), and amazingly easy to break up and pack in. It lights with no problem and it smokes clean, with a velvety smoothness. The Burley and Kentucky components provide a rich nutiness and density which are, IMO, very agreeable.

In terms of quality and ease of smoke, DSK resembles its milder sibling, Golden Sliced. Top grade leaf, unimpeachable attention to detail and an elegant presentation, make DSK a recommendable tobacco for both aromatic and regular leaf smokers.

farndog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
farndog (22)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark Strong Kentucky is an interesting bird to look at. The flakes seems to be composed of half golden tobacco and half a dark tobacco. The taste of this tobacco changes if you don't try to keep equal proportions of the lighter and darker tobaccos in your rubbing.

DSK is a rich smoke and you think it is going to make you turn green when you start smoking it. Have no fear - I have never experienced turning green with this one thankfully. There is a certain cigar tobacco smell and taste with this tobacco, and leaves a simular room note. This tobacco is very full tasting and burns clean.

Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The name says it all folks...this is dark, strong Kentucky burley and is it ever powerful! If you are concerned that this is just a more powerful version of Prince Albert or Sir Walter, relax, this is a much finer class of burley than what is packed into the pouches of Albert and Walter.

I rubbed this blend out a bit further after opening the tin because the chunks were, well, too chunky for me. The smell was just like you would figure a burley smell to be like, but, there is the hint of some sort of casing in this brew that I could not place my finger on.

As for the smoke itself, pretty even all the way thru the bowl with little variance--typical of burley--but the flavor was certainly big enough. And just like a champ, DSK did not get bitter near the bottom of the bowl which is a problem with cheaper burley.

So, if you like burley and nothing else,(if there's virginia in the tin, I couldn't find it), get a batch. If you are like me and enjoy a nice burley every now and then, buy three or four tins. This stuff is worth it!

Tbombadil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tbombadil (11)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is an interesting blend. I was introduced to it fairly early in my adventures with tinned baccies. Peter Stokkebye was at our local shop and he talked about how, when this blend was created, they brought it to him for his opinion. He tasted it and immediately said that this stuff would never sell in the US market, it was just too strong. He chuckled and said even he could be wrong. With a challenge like that I just had to try some. I did and smoked it fairly regularly for quite some time but then drifted away from it.

The other day I decided to open a tin that I'd cellared for almost two years. Upon opening I was greeted with that peculiar licorice aroma. The tobacco had dried some in the time it had aged which made me wonder just a bit about the tin's seal. Upon lighting I was greeted with the full flavor of this blend. I remembered why I'd considered this stuff on a par with Blackwoods Flake. It is about that strong, but with something else added. That something else I now realized was the charateristic taste of burley. Since passing through my original DSK kick I'd come to the conclusion that I really am not that enamored with burley blends. I smoked the rest of the bowl, rated it about a six to my current taste and wondered what to do with the rest of this tin.

Then it hit me. There are several guys who rave about burley blends and corncobs. Why not give it a try? I dug out my Wanghee (a godawful ugly bamboo shanked cob that smokes like a dream) and filled it with some rubbed out DSK. It was great! The sweetness of the cob offset the dry nuttiness of the burleys wonderfully and let the Va's come through. Now we had a smoke that did indeed rate an eight or nine anyway.

If you are a fan of burleys and want to try something new, ignore the sweet topnote of this one and give it a go. If you are more of a Va smoker, as am I, dig out one of your poor maligned cobs and see just how good they can be.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

The tobacco is a small, finely sliced flake, usually broken. Each flake consists of some medium mottled leaf (looks like red and golden virginia), and some very dark leaf (probably dark fired burley). There is a sweet aroma which seems to be a light casing in the Danish style, and a pungency (but not the ketchup/vinegar aroma found in many McClelland blends). The moisture level is about average, which is much moister than I like it, and needs to be aired out for 15 - 30 minutes before lighting. Others may find it ideal in this regard.

The flakes rub out easily to any desired degree, and I prefer to rub them out some rather than use the "roll" method. The unlit flavor is rich, slightly sweet, and very pleasant. Lighting is average, and yielda a good quantity of dense, creamy smoke. The sweetness is barely noticable as it burns, but there is a surprising fullness to the smoke and a good strength from the dark burley.

Mid bowl is still cool and very tasty with only a slight trace of moisture in the stem. The flavor and strength remains constant. There does not seem to be any "layering" or complexity to the smoke, as in an all va. or va/perique, but the taste is satisfying.

The bottom of the bowl is still pleasant, and the ash is a fine dark gray which coats the pipe well. The room note is not remarkable in ant way.

My LSW claims that it makes my breath awful, even compared to latakia blends or other burleys. Curious, but I have no way to check it out.