This is a blend of fine Matured Virginias and soft cut-cake Burley Cavendish. It has gained a popular appeal to many McCranie regulars, who say it offers a taste and aroma found nowhere else.

BrandMcCranie's
2.3
Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I bought seven ounces of this over a year ago and can't seem to get through it. It was a lot of trouble to dry out (PG) to a smoke-able state and now I wonder if it was worth the effort. Oddly, there is a similarity in flavor with Old Master but unlike Old Master, this tobacco just tastes thin. My mouth never feels like it's full of smoke - there are no bass notes in this one.

I'll just keep it sealed in its jar and maybe one day there will be a magic transformation to something interesting but I wouldn't bet on it.

Now, with that said, there are likely smokers out there that would like a tobacco with its characteristics and I don't want to discourage giving it a try as what flavor is there is quite good and it probably won't get you thrown out of the house. I just like a "bigger" tobacco.

Much like Coventry. Too light for my tastes. There is none of the richness I crave in a Virginia, but it would be a good beginner blend. Thing is, I was already tending towards stronger blends as a beginner. 1-9-10 Looking at a mixture of the remnants of this and the similar Coventry which I am drying under a lamp and preparing to smoke so that I can get rid of it without the trouble of throwing it away, I would have to say that Pipestud is right, and that this is mainly burley with some cavendish! 1-11-10 I smoked half the pipe and threw the rest away-so shoot me!

obxemt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
obxemt (26)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

A nice, pleasant suprise!

Super quality medium reddish-brown tobacco throughout with a very nice aroma in the pouch. Moisture level seems just right, not dry, not wet. Really a nice high quality aromatic, mild but satisfying and bordering on medium in flavor. Naturally and mildly sweet with a beautiful room note. Soft, slightly creamy, with a consistant flavor/aroma which varies in intensity of nougat, nuttiness or light carmel.

This looks, smells and tastes like a more aromatic version of "Old Master."

This may be a re-branded McClelland bulk but I can't figure out which one.

Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Now this one was interesting! I received a recent sample of five different McCranie's house blends and have enjoyed working my way through all of them. Porter's Pride was perhaps the most pedestrian of the group, but then, I've always prefered jeans to slacks.

Mostly Burley with some lightly flavored cavendish to enhance the otherwise straightforward Burley taste. Unique and satisfying without worrying about getting cavities from a ton of sweetness.

If you are a fan of aromatics, yet want to taste tobacco when you smoke - well, here you go, pardner.