The Samuel Gawith Balkan Plug is the uncut Cake which their iconic Balkan Flake is cut from. This (not so text book description of a Balkan) is made from Virginia with a generous helping of Cypriot Latakia. The thick and dense plug has a wonderful and familiar aroma, think of Full Virginia Flake (or Plug) with the added delights of spicy latakia. To look at this plug has the golden Virginia's found in Full Virginia and a generous helping of Latakia.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Taste
Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I got a 5g sample of this as part of a batch of other samples, one of those was underweight and this was added as a makeweight. A pleasant surprise that I relished getting stuck into. I'm not normally a fan of samples as I don't think they're big enough to judge tobaccos on and I was only able to get two admittedly decent smokes from., So forgive me if this isn't exactly an accurate review but I will endeavour to do my best.

For once I didn't particulary notice the smell of the tobacco, so no comment there. The leaves are a dark colour and densely packed, quite easy slice off into flakes if desired. It is a little damp so some drying may be in order but this only requires a little more lighting than normal before staying lit for the rest of the smoke. The flavour starts off as one of mild and smooth latakia, it's far from being a lat bomb. It's not too dissimilar to the lat in the largely atrocious SG Navy Flake. This begins mellow towards the middle of the smoke as a mildly sweet toffee flavour begins to pleasantly phase into the smoke. This, in turn, fades out in the last quarter giving way to something more earthy, if mild.

Based on this small sample, this is an excellent smoke that has interesting if mild flavours melding into one another. Somehow, I can imagine this going well with afternoon tea on the lawn on a pleasantly hot summer's day. Definitely worth getting 50g just to make sure.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gent

Purchased From: GQ Tobacco

Sam Gawith Balkan Plug . I will start of by saying "if you want a simple to prepare Tobacco avoid this"! The smell coming from the Plug is a strong and standard Balkan one , Smoky and Leathery . The actual Plug is of a good moistness but demonstrates its strength in build when it comes to the preparation . I have known a few good Plug blends that can be prepared quite easily by vigorous use of the hands but for this one I have to use a good blade ! After a touch of determination my Pipe is filled and ready to go , despite my frustrations at the amount of prep' time the flavour is more than a compensation ! A very strong/smoky Balkan taste where the Latakia definitely takes the lead and the Virginia emphatically takes the back seat ! The Smoke is very cool in temperature with a fairly mild Nic' kick if inhaled . The burn (if prepared correctly) is very steady and consistent , all along leaving a pure White ash . For me the only negative with Balkan Plug I can only blame myself for , like an idiot I sliced my finger with the blade during preparation , but I can't hold my own incompetence against Sam G' !

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

Similar Blends: Gawith Hoggarth Balkan Plug.