A true achievement of the blender's skill is evident in Tom's creation of My Reserve. A mixture that will tantalize the palate with great expectations. Red and stoved Virginia create depth of flavor.

BrandMcCranie's
Strength
Taste
3.1
RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Bulk form, it's a decent Virginia. The strands look nice, smells a bit like a McClelland since they blend it for McCranies. It has a decent price, and like it was stated, reminded me alot of 'First Light'. The two are very similiar, but slightly different somehow. They even look the same in appearance pretty much.

It's an ok smoke, has a nice waft going that doesn't bother people. It is pleasant enough for a time, but then becomes bland. I wouldn't smoke it over and over and enjoy it all the time like others I could.

Don't smoke fast, it will bite you. Smokes down with no wetness for me.

Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I am updating my review as I saw this blend reviewed recently by a fellow member. I pulled out some of my remaining batch of this and lit up.

My impressions are pretty much the same. This one does not bite unless puffed rapidly, can be smoked all day and night with no "heavy palate" feel, and is not very flavorful. Kind of like smoking warm air with a hint of sweet tobacco taste.

Have you ever gone to a hamburger joint that gives you whopping big buns with a very skinny piece of meat inside? I get the same impression smoking this blend. A nice presentation but not much substance.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Bulk: Quite similar in appearance, smell, and characteristics, to McClelland's Aurora.

Overall: MR is one of McCranie's bulk, custom loose, blends, an all-day indoor smoke.

McClelland produces blends for McCranie's under their guidance. Obxemt said that MR is 5100 with the addition of stoved VA's; a similarity between First Light and 5100 has also been mentioned. Many have likewise noted the confirmation between RR and 5100. There is also an uncanny resemblance between Aurora and MR. I use the bulk MR for a quick smoke and age the tinned Aurora. 3.8 stars.

obxemt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
obxemt (26)

This is a non-limited edition Red Ribbon in bulk. Its appearance, taste and aroma, is quite similar with the addition of the stoved VAs which really enhance it. It seems to be "First Light" (aka McC 5100) with the addition of stoved VAs. My Reserve is a little more dry and therefore "bitier" than RR, but as others said, that may lie more in smoking style and bulk packaging than the tobacco itself. It is a clean, fresh, quality Virginia that only gets bitter toward the end after smoking too fast. This is one of only two tobaccos which I stock in large quantity.

I normally smoke outside and as such listed the "room note" as pleasant because of the delightfully natural-sweet aroma this has. Inside, post-smoke it ends up smelling a little cigarette-ish.

If you like straight VAs and don't hotbox or can learn to hold back, this is an nice, reliable smoke. It has more depth and is more interesting than most.

WARNING: Unless you desire a tongue transplant, smoke SLOWLY.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

Prior comments in these reviews notwithsanding, my experience with My Reserve is without any bite whatsoever.

Tongue bite is the result of many factors not the least of which is body chemistry. While I ususally steer away from those blends that others have found to bite, I made an exception while at McCrannie's and was glad I did.

MR is a very flavorful tobacco with a depth of complexity not ususally found in tobaccos of this classs that lights easily, burns well and has a fine finish.

Although this blend may be made from McClelland tobaccos, it does not taste like any McClelland blend with which I am familiar.

If you're in the area, visit the store. If not, check out their webiste and get some of this really great tobacco.

Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I have to agree with the other reviewers here. This blend reminds me a lot of First Light, but seems fuller and better rounded due to the stoved Virginias. Unfortunately I can't get around the tongue bite. Although it is somewhat tolerable due to it being a virginia blend, it's just not worth fighting when there are other blends available. Don't get me wrong- there are other blends out their that have more bite. The price however is great. This may be your blend- it just isn't really mine!

Dutch-Bent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dutch-Bent (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I sampled this blend off and on for over a year. I find myself going back to this time and time again. Veiwing the pouch I see a mix of brown med. cut ribbions. Some tan in color; short-med.ribbions and dark stoved ribbions, all virginia's I think. Talking to Tod at McCranie's I have been told this blend is all McClelland. Where is the "ketchup"? Tom must have melowed and mix this blend just so! All I recive from the pouch is a dark sweet aroma that started me smoking a pipe nare a year ago. This packs great but could do for a bit of drying out to be perfect! I do enjoy the flavor from start to finish. No bite at all unless you are of the 'Casey Jones' class. Wonderful tobacco flavor down to the last puff. I enjoy the finish taste. This blend seens to mature in a dedicated pipe. I have found my pouch of My RESERVE empty's twice as fast as the other blends! I keep visiting the flavors that are rich and smooth. Well worth a try!!